4.8
5511012, CREG00302, BC4S, BC5S, CREG00101
ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier

ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier

4.8

Pros

• Comfortable (3)

• Parents' Comfort:

Support for mom and baby

I am a baby wearing enthusiast that owns or has owned most of the carriers on the market. The Ergo is a very well made, durable soft carrier that provides excellent support for both mom and baby. I found it very easy to use from the start. I did no end up keeping the Ergo for very long because I felt it was too bulky. I am a petite person and the Ergo overwhelmed my frame. I found that the Becco provided the same amount of comfort but is much more streamlined and was a better fit overall for me. Although Ergo carriers are very well made I found them unattractive while Becco provides stunning fabric options. Overall I believe that Ergo makes an excellent product in every way but if you are petite you may find the Becco a better fit.

Super comfortable, beautifully made, takes practice

I purchased the Ergo when my son was about 8 months old - and certainly wish I had bought it a full 5 months earlier!  While I loved my pouches and other carriers, we found we needed a back carrier that was secure and could hold our son comfortably for 1-2+ hours at a time.  The Ergo is incredibly comfortable and quite secure, but read on for my caveat! Pros:  The design is lovely - simple, but with all the right bells & whistles, adjustable for multiple parents/sitters/caregivers, and the thick, padded waist strap not only holds the baby's weight, but distributes it without pinching.  The color choices were great - what a refreshing break from the overwhelming blues & pinks (and that awful purple shade...) of baby gear. Easy to wash, and quite portable. My son was content not only to ride in the Ergo (they sit snugly against your body), but also to sleep too (always a bonus!) - and the little flip-up head support thing was OK, but I wouldn't go bouncing around *too* much... The not-so-pro (i'm not negative enough to label these 'cons'):  This carrier takes a bit of practice not only in feeling secure, but also in getting your baby on your back, if alone.  Yikes! I went through the instructions probably 10 times, with help nearby and while seated over a very thickly-padded couch, and it was more than a bit stressful to get him settled without help. Admittedly, I had a shoulder injury that has left me a bit lacking in range-of-motion (hence the difficulty in sliding him around without trepidation) - but I also encountered other parents who voiced the same concern, especially when you are first learning.  Naturally, you do learn, but I tended to reach for something else if I knew I'd be gearing up alone. If I could be very, VERY fast, it also worked to lay my son down on the Ergo and slip my arms through the straps, then roll him onto my back (and i did say ***quickly***....). Also, if you are going to be active, the wee one can get a bit warm when snuggled up against your back. In summary, I really do love the Ergo, but it is NOT the end-all and do-all of my babywearing experience.  It was great for some applications, but the slide-the-baby-around method of getting set to go earns this carrier a score short of perfect.

Comfy

from Falls church virginia

About Me First Time Parent

Pros

• Comfortable
  • Easy Use
  • Lightweight
  • Strong Construction
  • Stylish

Cons

• Difficult To Set Up

• Daily Use
  • Infants

Comments about ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier:

Great comfy painless carrier. My shoulder didnt feel any weight. Great to use for a longer period.. for a walk, shopping etc

Comfortable and convenient

from Minnesota

About Me Parent of Two or More Children

Pros

• Comfortable
  • Easy Use
  • Lightweight

• Daily Use
    • Infants
    • Out & About
    • Toddlers

Comments about ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier:

I bought this with my third child and am so happy that I did! I should have bought it sooner. It is comfortable and easy to use! I can put on the carrier by myself. When baby is little, I would set baby down and then was able to start strapping up the carrier around my waist and then loop my arms through and place baby in and then snap the rest of the carrier together and it worked great! I could even do it while baby was on the car seat when baby was small and get ready to go for a hike or even just around the store while pushing a cart.
    The materials are durable and seem to last well and will stay strong for the next kid. I think the carrier is good for all ages since there is an infant insert that I used and took out as baby got older. I like that baby is close to me and comfortable. I also liked the ease of placing baby on my back as he/she became a toddler. This was way more comfortable than other off brands/store brands that I had tried and cut into my skin. The money spent was well worth it!

a necessity

from Brewster, NY

About Me Grandparent

Pros

• Comfortable
    • Durable
    • Easily Stowed

• Newborn

Comments about ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier:

The ability to use both hands and get chores or shopping done is something no one realizes will be invaluable once your little angel arrives. Still using the newborn insert, this is incredibly comfortable for parent and baby while making it possible to go shopping, do laundry, prepare food!Easy to get in and out for both men and women. Only complaint has been that it can get warm with this on, so consider how long you will be out and about with it and dress accordingly. A terrific gift to new parents!

I love this carrier, its easy to use and comfortable.

Comments about ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier:

I like this carrier but I'm disappointed that you can't carry the baby outward facing with it. I know they recently came out with an outward facing one but I wish they had the option a year ago.
      When my baby was younger I was able to nurse her in the carrier. That was a real plus because then I could do other stuff while feeding her. Great product, I'm glad I have one.

baby can't look around.

sometimes hard to latch in the back when you are carrying the baby in the front

• Parents' Comfort:

Good carrier but not in the summer

Comments about ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier:

This is a great carrier and was my go to carrier after my son hit the 15ish pound mark. He loved being carried in the Ergo and I loved that it held him correctly and wasn't a crotch dangler. I am able to nurse him in it without others knowing which is a great benefit when you're out all day and don't have/don't want to use a cover.

My only downside is that it gets hot where I live and when we used this carrier, we were both sweaty by the time we took it off. I wish it was more breathable. I also wish the waist belt was bigger. They sell waist extenders but why not make the waist bigger so people don't have to spend the extra money. It's not like this thing is cheap as it is.

Safety
      My son feels safe and secure in the carrier.

Baby's Comfort
      When it's hot out, we both get hot and sweaty. It definitely needs to be more breathable. Other than that, I know my son is comfortable riding in it.

Parents' Comfort
      Same as baby's comfort. When it's hot out, we both get hot and sweaty but it is comfortable besides that one issue. Even as my son gets older (and heavier), it is still comfortable to wear him in the Ergo as it distributes his weight across my body.

I had trouble getting my son into the back carry position but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to use. We both prefer the side carry as he can see forward as well.

Needs to be breathable.

Very durable. Has held up for two years so far with no issues.

A great baby carrier.

from Voorhees, NJ

Comments about ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier:

I really love this carrier. It is well designed and sturdily built. I will definitely be using this with all my future babies,

Safety
      This carrier has a number of safety features. All of the latch clips have elastic bands to act as a backup in case the clip were to fail. The carrier also has the proper width at the hips to reduce the risk of hip dysplasia. It also does not allow for outward facing the child, which is an unsafe way to baby wear.

Baby's Comfort
      This is my daughters favorite carrier. She doesn't always tolerate being worn because she doesn't like being confined, but when she does tolerate it, it is in this carrier.

Parents' Comfort
      This carrier doesn't cause me any back pain, regardless of which position I use it in,

This carrier has a lot of adjustments and straps, which makes it very versatile and comfortable, but also makes it a bit more difficult to put on.

I can't think of any design improvements that should be made for this carrier. I love it just the way it is.

This carrier is made of sturdy cotton. It is well built and stand up to use and washing well.

• Parents' Comfort:

Great baby carrier for an infant

Comments about ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier:

I recently received the ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier as a baby shower gift for my second child and can't say enough good things about this carrier. I already have a BabyBjorn and a Moby carrier, so I did not think I needed a third baby carrier. This carrier is by far my favorite baby carrier that I have owned. First, I feel very comfortable using this carrier with a newborn. I have the infant insert for the ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier and it truly provides an infant with adequate support. Second, I like how this carrier does not make your baby's legs "hang" out the sides of the carrier. This provides babies with support on both their bottom and the upper part of their legs and I think is much better for their circulation. The material used to make the ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier is thick and high quality. It stands up well to washing. I highly recommend this carrier for infants, older babies, and toddlers.

Baby's Comfort
      This carrier provides more support for the legs.

Always My Favorite Carrier

Comments about ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier:

When we had our daughter 2 years ago I did a lot a research about carriers. The Ergo always seemed to have great reviews and seemed to be the safest. My experience has been true to that. I found it was the easiest to use. Both of my kids were instantly comfortable with it and I was able to confidently wear it. My husband also loves it and it is his preferred carrier as well.

Safety
      The ergo is not a "crotch dangler" and it is easy to put on, reducing the likelihood of user error.

Baby's Comfort
      My kids were tons more comfortable in this then the other carriers I tried- such as ring slings.

Parents' Comfort
      I found this was tons easier on my back and shoulders then other carriers I tried.

Once you have used it a few times, it is super simple. The first few times however it does have a slight learning curve as to how to insert the baby.

I find the design attractive as well as sensible for day-to-day wear.

We have had ours for about 2 years and have used it with 2 kids and it is still going strong and looks pretty much brand new.

• Parents' Comfort:

Comfy carrier for mama AND baby!

Comments about ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier:

This carrier is by far the best I've ever had the pleasure of trying. We purchased the galaxy grey pattern and I could not be more pleased! I love that it offers three different carrying positions (Back, front, and hip). I have no problems getting my daughter in and out of any of the carries by myself. I'm also pleased with the fact that I can wear her comfortably for a couple of hours at a time, and she appears to be comfortable as well. We have had no issues cleaning it up the few times that we've encountered a few spots. The straps are easy to adjust with one hand, and the buckles are sturdy. The only thing I'm bummed about is the fact that you have to order the infant insert for newborns. We didn't get this carrier until after her first birthday so we never purchased the insert. Overall I feel safe with my daughter in this carrier. It allows me to still get things done around the house on some of her particularly clingy days and that alone was worth the investment!

• Parents' Comfort:

ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier was my carrier of choice.

from Fort Worth, Texas

Comments about ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier:

Overall my ERGO Baby Original Baby Carrier was the best for my baby and I. I received this ERGO Baby Original Baby Carrier as a gift after my daughter was born. I was a little skeptical at first about carrying my baby around in this carrier. I was afraid it wouldn't be supportive enough. I was extremely surprised when I first used this carrier with my baby. I loved the fact that it offered great support for my baby and I.

Safety
      This carrier turned out to be very safe. I was unsure at first but after trying it I found it to be just as safe as carrying her around in my arms. This was I could safely hold my baby and still have use of both hands.

Baby's Comfort
      This carrier was great at supporting my babies head and body. She seemed to always be comfortable in this ERGO Original Baby Carrier. I was able to comfortably place her in this carrier until she was about 6 months old.

Parents' Comfort
      Of course just like any carrier after having it and my baby strapped to me for a while my back and hips would start to hurt. But overall this carrier was comfortable for me to use.

I loved the way this carrier was designed. It is one of the more expensive ones and you more than get your monies worth with this carrier. It is design especially for the comfort of baby and parent.