Other E-commerce Websites:
Health and Beauty Websites

Pros

Cons

Satisfy Your Drug Needs from the Convenience of Home

Everyone needs drugs at some point and rather than making the effort to drive to a drug store or large general store, drugs can now be shopped from the comfort of home. Many of the large drug retailers have an online presence, but when I think of buying drugs on the internet, the store that comes to mind immediately isn't Walgreen's or CVS. It's **Drugstore.com**, an on-line pharmacy and general store for purchasing medicine, soap, shampoo, and other items that you would typically find in a drug store.

**Drug Store Commentary:**

Drugstore.com is a useful, one stop shopping experience for most anything that one would find in a typical drug store. Besides prescription drugs, customers can purchase over the counter drugs, hair care products, skin care items, vitamins, diet and nutrition supplements, household cleaning products, etc. Drugstore.com has expanded over the years and today it even offers snack foods, as well as contact lenses through its affiliation with Visiondirect.com.

To shop Drugstore.com, customers can select a category at the top of the screen and then select a subcategory. Or, if customers prefer, they can choose to look at five star items (ratings given by customer reviews), top sellers, new products, and other miscellaneous categories. Everything is sorted out in a way that makes it reasonably easy to find what you need.

Drugstore.com helps make shopping easy in other ways, too. Customers can establish a special list of favorite items, commonly purchased items, and current prescriptions. This makes it faster to logon in the future and place orders that contain the same items. Drugstore.com wants to make the process as smooth and painless as possible, both to encourage sales and satisfy the customer.

Free shipping is offered on larger Drugstore.com orders. The price level necessary for free shipping varies, but last time I checked, it was set at orders exceeding $49. As an added enticement for new shoppers, Drugstore.com offers free shipping on smaller orders. This free shipping level is presently set at $25. These free shipping offers include only standard shipping and they do not include prescriptions. I like the fact that I can ship things to my home free of charge, but I must admit, it isn't always easy to spend $49. My drugstore needs are not that great, and I often have to look around for additional things to buy in order to reach the free shipping threshold.

Prices at Drugstore.com tend to be a little higher than the prices at most stores, but Drugstore.com does offer some incentives to keep shoppers happy and lessen the effects of the slightly higher costs. One is the cash back incentive. This program has varied over the years, but it is usually set at 5% of the total order. Customers accumulate Drugstore.com dollars, which can then be exchanged for money off of a future purchase. This isn't a huge discount, but it does help to compensate for the slightly higher prices. They also offer a clearance section and a coupon section.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Drugstore.com is a pretty good service for purchasing prescriptions and other items commonly found in a modern drug store. The selection is better than average and there is an option for free shipping providing you spend enough money. The prices are not quite as good as the sale prices that you will find in your local store, but when you factor in the convenience, Drugstore.com dollars, and various special offers, Drugstore.com turns out to be a pretty good deal. Considering the number of purchases I have made at Drugstore.com over the years, they must be doing something right.

Need to get their act together.

My (adult) daughter and I have been customers since September, 2006. They have some products that we are unable to get conveniently in our area (we take the bus, have no car) since local stores that formerly carried products discontinued them, or are sporadic about carrying them. We also like the "cashback" and the fact that we can order through Upromise and get credit to help pay for my daughter's college loans. We had no problems, and really loved the site, until last December, when they had a great deal of sales going on. It took them 3 weeks to ship my order, and then shipped it 4 days after I had cancelled it in frustration, all the while answering my phone calls with statements to the effect that the CSRs could find no reason for the order not shipping (I have several products that I order every month, there was nothing unusual in the order). In October, 2007, I waited a week to place my order, since a product I usually order was out of stock. After I placed the order and received order confirmation online, I discovered, while looking for shipping confirmation, that a different product had gone out of stock after I placed my order and received the order confirmation. They held up my entire order for several days waiting for the product before shipping, in 2 different boxes and 2 different ways, anyway. This month, November, 2007, I again placed a pretty standard order and received online confirmation. when shipping confirmation did not arrive, i again called them,and was advised that they were having a problem finding a product in their warehouse, but my order would be shipped that afternoon. The next day, the same thing. The next day, the same thing. I finally told the CSR that I wanted to cancel the order, and place another order for the products that they had in stock and on the shelves. Their system would not allow this, and for a time I had 2 orders going. They finally cancelled the second order, and said that they were contacting Distribution to at least ship out what they had on hand. this morning, I got a shipping confirmation for the item that had originally been holding up the entire order, along with informaiton that the rest of the order, which had been in stock, was now on backorder and they had no idea when it would ship. I called - again- and finally cancelled the order, except for the product that had shipped, and advised them that they had lost a customer. It is not worth the frustruation. There seems to be no communication between their various departments, and customers are not being offered the option to have the balance of their order shipped if there is a problem with a product going out of stock after the order is placed. They did offer me a $10 instore credit, but I refused. This was one too many times that the same problem has occurred. When they are on track, they do well, items usually are shipped and arrive in good order. When they have a problem, they are really in a mess.

Great selection.

from Florida

Comments about Drugstore.com:

I have been shopping with Drugstore.com for just about a year and they have a couple really good points, and one pretty big fault.

The things I like the most about Drugstore.com is that they have great customer service. Each time that I have had to contact customer service,it has been a pleasant experience. The agents seem to really care about the customer, which adds to the shopping experience and makes the whole thing easier and more enjoyable. The other thing that is a huge plus for them is that they have a huge selection of many many different products, from many many different brands. I have been able to find stuff that stores dont sell here.

The biggest flaw that I've seen with them is their shipping price. If you spend a lot of money it isn't a big deal, but if you only buy a couple small things then it seems a little outrageous for the price.

Overall, they are a good online store. The website is designed well, and I don't have any big problems with them besides the shipping and handling costs.

Comments about Drugstore.com:

With two small kids it is hard for me to go out and run errands a lot. I depend on the internet to do most of my shopping and I have found that this website is a wonderful online drugstore. I can buy pretty much anything I need for bath and beauty needs, as well as over the counter medicines and vitamins. They also offer some household items and pet items. Drugstore.com has sales all the time so pricing tends to be cheaper than going to the store to shop. I also find that I buy less when I shop on this website, there are no enticing items to buy when I am waiting in line! I have been ordering on here for a few years now and have yet to be disappointed with anything I have bought. Shipping is always fast and is free over $35.

They have categories at the top of the website or you can search for what you need.

Product Selection
Everything you can think of that is drugstore related.

Product Pricing
With frequent promotions, I find the pricing to be very competitive.

Shipping and Returns
Super fast and free over $35!

Good drugstore

from Utah

Comments about Drugstore.com:

With young kids, it can be very difficult to get out and do a lot of shopping. So shopping online is getting more and more appealing, and drugstore.com is a reliable source for several products. We can easily stock up on some everyday drugstore type things (bandaids, over the counter medicines, etc) as well as a few things for our pets from the convenience of home. I love shopping on this site, and I plan to continue shopping here in the future.

Product Pricing
Prices are pretty comparable to a regular drugstore, and they offer a 10% discount on automatic recurring orders. We can usually spread out our orders and stock up to last the extra time in between in order to receive both this 10% discount as well as the free shipping.

Shipping and Returns
Drugstore.com offers free shipping on orders over $35. It's not usually hard to reach this amount, and we usually try to stock up enough at once to qualify for the free shipping. They usually ship the order within the day or two after the order is placed, and it gets here within a few days after that.

Drugstore & Beauty Needs

from Saint Anne, IL

Comments about Drugstore.com:

Drugstore.com is an amazing site to purchase your drugstore needs as well as cosmetics. They offer drugstore bucks/dollars on your purchase which are redeemed on your next order. They offer free shipping which is always a plus. Every now and then they will include free samples with your order which is a nice surprise. They also offer promotions that include a free gift if you spend a certain amount.

The site is quite easy to use. Do a search of the product your interested in and you will get the info you need. Products are categorized accordingly to find things with ease. You can do a search by Brand name so as see all Brands available.

Product Selection
I am an organic and natural product shopper. I gravitate towards the natural brand lines. I am pleased with their selections because they are always adding new brands.

Product Pricing
Drugstore.com offers great prices on most of their items. I compare shop before I purchase and their prices are competitive with most other sites.

Customer Service
The staff at Drugstore.com is very nice. I have called them many times and have received excellent service. They will go over and beyond to help resolve any order issues. Quality staff.

Shipping and Returns
A couple of times I have returned a beauty product that was not my desired shade. They offer free returns on certain beauty products which the shade/color is not suited to your complexion. They will send you a postage paid label if there is any damaged merchandise. Their packages arrive on time.

• Shipping and Returns:

So many choices and fast shipping

Comments about Drugstore.com:

I am very impressed with the product selection on drugstore.com. One of my favorite things about purchasing from drugstore.com is the fact that it is so discreet. If you need to purchase a medication that's a little embarrassing to purchase at the physical drug store at this particular website allows that fear to be gone. Almost anything that you would need for medication you can find on this website. I'm also very impressed with how fast to the products typically ship. When I purchase from this particular website I can expect to receive my items within a couple of days. I also feel that the prices on this website are wonderful! I am signed up to receive emails when there are sales and I always get great deals on what I'm looking for.

This website is so easy to use.

Product Selection
There are Absolutely so many products to choose from.

Great pricing.

Customer Service
The customer service is always really wonderful.

Extremely fast shipping.

• Shipping and Returns:

Convenient and a wide variety

from Wisconsin

Comments about Drugstore.com:

I have only placed two orders through Drugstore.com in the past and both times went smoothly. What I remember about it is that they have a huge variety of products and the site was very easy to use. They are another site that can get really busy, though. It can be distracting. Ads are everywhere, making it feel like a real circus trying to find something. However, their scroll down bars at the top of the page that allows you to find what you're looking for is pretty convenient. I like that it gives you options for natural products, and when I am looking for dye-free pain killers, I just typed that in the search bar at the top and it brought the product up. That's where I first ordered it, in fact, because dye-free medicines can be hard to find. That's what this site is especially great at -- finding products that are hard to find locally. It's VERY nice for people who can't get out and about much, too, like my dad. My second order was for him. I placed an order for what he needed and had it shipped to him. I can do the same for my daughter who is in college. Quite convenient.

Customer Service
I am not 100% sure about this as I have not had to use their customer service.

Great Experience

Comments about Drugstore.com:

This is an experience that I literally stumbled upon in search for a particular product that no one else had because is was a discontinued product. Ever since I made that purchase, I have been an avid user of this site, shopping about 2-3x per month from the site.

Very easy to use the site, as they have everything on the site categorized perfectly so that when you do search you are not getting things that are no where near what you are looking for.

Product Selection
The site has a wide variety of everything you can think of and them some. But it is not
unorganized in no way.

Product Pricing
Reasonably priced and many, many items. I have seen some items that are somewhat overpriced, however to offset that, they give you cash back on what you spend to use on your next order, so it balances out.

Customer Service
Exceptional customer service department. Very helpful and always willing to go the xtra mile to ensure your satisfaction.

Shipping and Returns
Great shipping and returns department.

The best online drugstore

from Nesconset,ny

Comments about Drugstore.com:

I have never been on anything like drugstore,com. It's unlike anything I've ever seen. I use it constantly for whatever I need whenever I need it. Right on the homepage of the website, they list coupon codes and instant savings with different orders. Everything from make up to body lotion and my vitamins, I can get it fast and always on sale. Their shipping is fast and they are always in stock with what I am looking for. The site has a lot of stuff to choose from, but I never have a problem finding my way around to get what I need. If you have questions, they have contacts for customer service that will help you. If you don't have time to get to the drugstore, go to drugstore.com and save yourself time and money. I have never had to return any items that I've purchased from their website, but I've read already that they guarantee a refund or will send you what you ordered and exchange your package, you may have to check shipping and handling though. I would definitely recommend.

• Shipping and Returns:

Great website for hard to find beauty products

from Wesley Chapel, FL

Comments about Drugstore.com:

I have ordered from drugstore.com many times and will continue to order from them. I like being able to read all of the reviews on new products that I am considering trying. The reviews have been really helpful on deciding if a product is right for my skin type. I have found that the prices are lower than normal drugstores and they carry many more hard to find products. I was upset my my local drugstore stopped carrying a Garnier product that I love to use when styling my hair. I looked everywhere and could not find it. Drugstore. com had it and it was cheaper than the store. Shipping was fast and the product was packaged very well to avoid being damaged.

The website is easy to use, and they list reviews from other consumers right next to the product.

Product Selection
Drugstore.com has a great selection of everyday items, and also hard to find items.

Product Pricing
I have found that some products are priced about the same as a normal drugstore, but many items are lower in price. I have never really noticed items being more expensive.

• Shipping and Returns:

Drugstore.com has some of the most exclusive products

Comments about Drugstore.com:

What I like about drugstore.com is being able to find products that are not available in most stores online. Vaniply discontinued their ointment brand from most online and offline stores. I then decided to try drugstore.com. I was surprised at all the different products and brands for purchase. The site has easy navigation and I was able to locate Vaniply Ointment quickly within the search box. The price was excellent and I also saved an additional twenty percent with drugstore.com’s promo code. I never shop anywhere online without checking for a promotion code first. Drugstore.com is a very great site with great deals and products. They have a lot of hard to find items on their site.

Very simple to use.

Product Selection
Drugstore.com have a wide selection of products to choose from. Even items that are discontinued may just be on the website as well.

Product Pricing
The prices are wonderful. Every time I shop online I find a bargain.

Customer Service
Customer service was very helpful.