2.4

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Reliability:
    • Content Variety/Availability:
    • I received a sample (50), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (6)

DTV Employee speaks out...

Well, since what I am about to say is probably confidential and proprietary, then I will not post my name or the center for which I work. I am a former supervisor from an outsourced call center that took DTV calls, and currently I am a technical agent at one of DTV'scall centers. I have spent some time reading the posts here and elsewhere, and while there are some valid complaints (we would be remiss if we assumed that a company of DTV's size was completely without fault). However, more often than not, the issues posted on-line are due to confusion and ignorance of fine print policy, as well as industry standards.

First, one of the most common complaints that I hear about is regarding the "invisible" contracts. While I can sympathize to a point, more often than not the anger regarding these contracts is misplaced, as the customer agreement clearly outlines the policy, (this policy is available in its entirety on Directv.com, and I would highly recommend that all customers or prospects read the ENTIRE document BEFORE you sign up. This should be standard practice anyways...). Most customers are not aware (again, at their own fault), of the fact that the receivers that they "purchase" are not theirs to keep but are, in fact, leased. This includes the receivers acquire from Best Buy or other authorized retailers. The prices are exactly the same (around $199 for a HDDVR) regardless of whether one leases from Best Buy or directly from Directv. The fact is, the cost of a receiver (anyone who has bought a receiver can attest to this fact) is much higher than the one time lease fee, closer to $350-$500 for a HDDVR. We do not charge a monthly fee for a lease for any receiver. We do, however, charge a mirroring fee, regardless of owned or leased, for every receiver past the first one. That fee is $5 per extra receiver.  The advantage of leasing equipment is that we can reduce our costs, and therefore replace your busted receiver for free instead of making you purchase another one. However, because of the fact that we live in an age of limited accountability, it is impossible for us to determine if a receiver is faulty due to a malfunciton or an intended cattle prod (yes, it happens FREQUENTLY). Even so, we still cover the replacement receiver, but we think its perfectly reasonable to ask that you cover the shipping. After all, our property was working fine when we sent it to you, and we aren't making you pay for the damages. The downside to this lease is that it DOES carry a 24 month agreement, and this is how we can discount the cost as far as we do. This is not just DTV, but many other companies do this as well. The cell phone industry is a perfect example, and anyone who has tried to cancel their cell phone service early will tell you, this is a common practice in today's economy. Welcome to America. Remember the adage: let the buyer beware. Read the fine print like Mommy and Daddy told you to...

Again and again, I hear complaints about the protection plan. $5.99 seems like alot, until you get a clearer picture of the situation. Again, we are not the only company with such a plan available for our customers. A broadband CABLE provider in my area charges $2.99, and again this is an optional plan. I have had many different providers in the past, and this is commonplace in this industry. Time and again, when I inform our customers that it will cost $49.95 for a service call, I get the same complaint: "You mean to tell me that you are going to charge me for fixing your equipment?". What they don't understand is that the ONLY equipment that we own are the LEASED receivers and that EVERYTHING ELSE BELONGS TO THE ACCOUNT HOLDER. Let this sink in for a moment. That's right, the FREE dish, with the FREE LNBs, and the FREE multiswitch (or the much more expensive SWiM equipment) and the FREE cabling, all installed for free, more often than not, belongs to you. It is now part of your home, and again we cannot be held responsible for customer negligence, or even the chance thereof. While MOST customers are very honest, it is still unwise for us to cover the cost of repairs to a system that no longer belongs to us. We do, however, provide a 90 warranty, so if ANYTHING happens to your system in those 90 days then PLEASE CALL US. The protection plan covers service calls (UNLESS the issue is customer caused. Again, NOT OUR FAULT), the shipping on receivers (just in case) and even the remote. That's right, if YOUR remote breaks, then you must pay to replace it unless you have the protection plan in place. This is not a deceptive practice, but instead another OPTION for our customers. If you have the balls to go without the protection plan, then don't whine when YOUR equipment fails.

Alas, most of the postings here reflect the same tune over and again. Poor customer service. I have customers try to bully me on a daily basis. What customers must understand is that this is not a problem exclusive to DTV, but instead inherent to call centers in general. I have been in customer service for a significant portion of my career, and as any customer service agent can attest, the customer is NOT always right (GASP!!!). There, I said it. the cat's out of the bag, and now we can start setting things right. Most customer service agents will agree that the customer is not always right, but their job is to tell the customer that they are wrong while making them believe that they are, in fact, right. The idea of a never faulty customer comes from a marketing campaign from many years ago, and now our whining populace of consumers think that they are entitled to anything that they want. Guess what, if you try to bully an agent, they won't hang up (we have ways of making you THINK that we have), but you will make things harder for yourself. Once again, this idea is not exclusive to DTV, but to MOST companies in the world. The fact is that DTV has switched their primary metrics for their call center agents. Outsourced call centers enforce Average Handle Time (the length of the call, measured in seconds) as the primary metric by which to measure the performance of their agents. This is because the more calls that they can take, the more money they can make. The downside is that the customer service goes out the window and the agent is only looking for a quick fix to get you off their phone. As a result, a simple issue might be mishandled at the hands of an inexperienced agent, only to be further bungled down the road until the problem takes much longer to straighten out than it should. By the way, call centers in general experience extemely high attrition (mostly due to abusive customers) and therefore it is difficult for ANY company to retain their employees. A direct result of this inherent problem is that more often than not, the agent with which you are speaking is inexperienced and scared to death of you. I was long ago, but no more. A while back, DTVs focus was first call resolution. This means that you would call in and get the results that you were entitled to, but since it took longer to solve an issue you would have to actually wait on hold longer, and this would make people more angry (making it harder for us to HELP you) and therefore, pissed customers would ***** about this. So, sometime ago, (not sure when) DTVs focus shifted from first call resolution to AHT. As a result, we can get to you faster, but then again, customer service goes out the window. The simple fact is DTV, as well as EVERY OTHER CALL CENTER FOR WHICH I HAVE EVER WORKED, uses on-line references to tell us what to do and say. Yes, that's right. We use scripts. Be thankful if you get an agent that disregards these stupid scripts and actually tried to focus on fixing your problem. The reason that many customers feel that they are getting a resolution forced down their throat that doesn't make senseis because that is actually the case, more often than not. The fact is, our quality department will penalize us for NOT running through their stupid scripts. I won't go into details, but the on-line reference that we use is sub-par at best, and this drives up our AHT as we have a difficult time just FINDING the issue in our tools to resolve it for you. Again, experience is key here, as tenured agents are hard to retain and hard to come by. DTV is a great company for which to work, but the customers make this job unbearable.

The fact is that since day one, DTV has set itself apart (at least, for me it has) by focusing on customer satisfaction. We even have a several hour course that we are required to complete during training on customer care and how to interact with customers. As you walk through the center, you see posters, banners, and messages everywhere, all screaming the same thing: The customer is the MOST important part of our company, and customer satisfaction is the most important thing to our company. When the customer comes first, the customer will last, they say. Our QA department focuses on only 2 aspects of the call: relationship (how the agent will affect the business relationship with the customer) and resolution (whether the solution was appropriate for the customer). ANY thing that could POSSIBLY negatively affect ourrelationship with the customer is marked against us. Don't get me wrong, just because you THINK that you are right doesn't mean that we are going to throw credits at you just to satisfy you. This would negatively affect our relationship. The fact remains, no matter what we do, no matter how much we care (and we do...by the way), we are just not going to make most people happy. FYI: going back to the service call issue, it costs us more than DOUBLE to send out a tech to repair YOUR equipment. About a year and a half ago, we even DROPPED the cost of our SCs from $79.95 to $49.95, JUST TO MAKE YOU HAPPY. Based on the posts herein and elsewhere, even this is not enough.

As far as the rebates, I have no idea. I do know that one of the biggest obstacles to our billing agents is the ignorance of our customers regarding our billing policy. Most customers believe that we bill re-actively, for the previous month. I don't think so. Instead, we bill for the upcoming month. For example, if your bill is generated, say, on the 4th of the month, then the bill you are paying is from that day until then next 4th. This means that you are paying for the upcoming month, not the previous month. Therefore, if you ever lose your services midmonth (such as when YOU don't pay your bill) then you get a partial credit to cover the difference, because we aren't going to charge you for service if you are cut off. However, the downside is that when your services are cut back on, your going to regain the remaining charges to cover your precious TV until your next bill. Since you probably didn't pay this difference, then it is simply tacked on to your next bill, where your next month of service is being charged there as well. Do you have any idea how hard it is to calm down a customer that just doesn't understand this? Do you even have the slightest idea how hard it is to educate the customer on this (industry wide) pratice AND get them to pay their bill AND get them to like it? All in under 10 minutes? No wonder attrition is so high in call centers.

FYI: when you call, asking for a supervisor is a BAD idea. Its not a matter of authority, its the simple fact that supervisors are not accountable for AHT and will NOT budge on the policies. Also, more often than not your not even talking to the supervisor, but instead a more tenured agent standing in while the supervisor is busy. No offence, but customers have threatened our lives, screamed obscenities, cursed our mothers, and been EXTREMELY abusive. Why in hell would we care if you get your tv on at that point? If you want results, respect the agent (NOT just DTV, but customer service agents EVERYWHERE), be nice, firm, and polite. Respect their primary metrics (AHT, Quality, and CSAT) and they will do ANYTHING THAT THEY CAN FOR YOU. We will beg our supervisors to give you credits, we will provide special offers that are available to all customers (we don't provide them to abusive idiots, quality be damned) and will go out of our way (even risking AHT in the process) just to make you happy if you are polite and courteous. Trust me, people who get yelled at for a living will bend over backwards for the nice people in this world. Trying to bully an agent, especially when its YOUR FAULT is going to tie up the phone lines and make your life even worse. Guess what, the reason you were on hold for so long is because some ******* was arguing a lost cause with an agent for 40 mins and then the supervisor, all because he thought that he was always right instead of paying his bill, or letting the agent help him fix his system.

As always, read the fine print on the agreement before you sign the dotted line, *******. Yes, we retain credit card information on file, because we are trusting you with hundreds, maybe thousands, of dollars worth of equipment and we are going to retain ANY information given. That means addresses, phone numbers, names, social security (we NEVER ask for SSN when troubleshooting systems) and credit/ debit card information. That way, JUST IN CASE someone DOES rip us off (HAPPENS EVERY DAY, FYI...) we have some means of recovering our losses. Welcome to America, where this is practiced every day with most companies in the country, and even the planet. As always, I would advise you to research your business partners (TV providers, cell phone companies, etc...). This should go without saying. However, considering the current economic crisis, it really doesn't surprise me that customers have no f*cking clue what they are doing when they sign up. You have been warned.

Sales will lie BIG TIME to get a contract!!!

We did not have any problems with the dish. The problems we encountered were with sales and customer service. We were told that if we moved before our contract ended that the contract would be void as long as we were unable to get direct tv at the place we moved to. We moved before our 2 year contract ended and are unable to get direct tv at our current address. We are not allowed to use any service other than what is provided by our apartment complex. We called Direct tv and they said "You don't have to move to a place that it is not allowed. You will be charged $300." So we had them send out a technician knowing he would not have a line of sign from where we would be living. He came out and confirmed that he would not be able to install a dish and also that there was no line of site. He documented it on our account as him not being able to install a dish (not that he couldn't get a line of site). They closed out our account and charged our credit card and said that they will not resend a technician to document it correctly because our account is now closed. Thanks Direct Tv for lying and taking money out of our account that was not rightfully yours. Had I known you would do this I would have cancelled my credit card that you have on file, Kept the direct tv box and smashed it instead of sending it back to you. Now I am stuck with only being able to tell everyone about your terrible service. I will not only put it all over the internet every place I get, but I will also write it on my car windows so that people will see it everywhere I drive.

Direct TV won't service your dish if it's on your roof

from Picayune, MS

Comments about DirecTV:

After being a customer of AT&T for over 35 years and Direct TV for 12 years that will end next week. I needed my dish serviced and because it is on the roof (which is the only place they would put it when I became a customer) they can no longer get on the roof to service the dish. So, my choice is to put another dish on my house which is not an option as I will not devalue my property for Direct TV. So if you are a Direct TV customer and your dish is on the roof you are out of luck if the dish goes out.

It Is A One-Way Contract. Beware!

from St Petersburg, Fl

Comments about DirecTV:

We contacted DirecTV and had them put their system on our 5 bdrm/3 bath Florida Home in Sept of '17, and it never worked right. DirecTV had us partner with Frontier for our internet service and we were given 7mb/s by them. Anytime we would try to record a show, at some point through, it would lose connection and not record. WiFi never really worked right either. Sometimes when we were in middle of shows, it would just cut out on us for more than 20-30 minutes. When we called DirecTV to complain about the problems, we were passed back and forth with each company claiming the other would deal with them, even though they were the original company we called. At some point, we were upgraded to 10mb/s by Frontier, but it did not help at all -honestly, there is no noticeable difference by 3mb/s.
I tried to get DirecTV to take their stuff back since Nov, but, the holidays, ect, for whatever reason they could blow us off..., it wasn't until today(1/14/17) that they finally got the point and transferred me to their cancellation department. It was then. that I was reminded of a fee... $400 to quit their service, and he also told us that "I had the service since Sept and therefore was outside" ...some cancel point due to non functioning equipment. It amazes me, that they could not provide adequate service and we still have to pay.

Highly unrecommended

from St. Petersburg, Fl

Comments about DirecTV:

We have Direct TV at the KOA park where we are staying in St. Petersburg, Fl. For the past few days there has been no sound on CNN (channel 10). Before then CNN normally worked only in the evenings with no reception in the mornings. Having no sound EVER, however, is worse than having poor reception or inconsistent reception. All other channels work fine.

Not bad equipment or quality, But Don't call them

from Detroit, Mi

Comments about DirecTV:

New with Direct Tv and Quailty not too bad but billing and customer service is a total nightmare, They should fire everyone in customer service and start over, It is a total joke, heads should roll. and to add to it they use AT&T for internet and ATT might be the worst company in the history of the world to call about billing problems, Direct Tv might only be the second worst. Not at the point of counting the days until my contract is over but close, every billing call takes 45 minutes to over an hour and the person you talk to might screw up things worse than before you waist the time.

Very misleading advertising, dishonest, bad channel quality,

from Tennessee

Comments about DirecTV:

Direct TV adds are very misleading. They advertise that you get a lot of channels. At least one third of the channels are infomercial. You never know what is on. The channel line up is awful. It is vey difficult to find channels to watch. They offer very few channels of quality. The connection is lost a lot of the time.. You lose TV during bad weather which is not safe. They advertise as being part of AT &T. They are really a separate company. The customer service is awful. It is a hoax.

OMG this company SUCKS

from Valley-view Ohio

Comments about DirecTV:

I'm a very dissatisfied customer. AT&T and direct TV . What a bunch of smoke and mirrors. Promise the world on Internet speeds and what Direct TV will do. Each one blames the other for their system not working. I just want what they promised. Called 4 times to have problem fixed. Guess when I stop paying they will finally send someone out.

Nightmarish Customer Service!!!! Avoid This Company!!!!!

from new york

Comments about DirecTV:

I scheduled an installation in person for a week out and received a reminder call days before as well as the day of for the 12-4 Appt. . . . 1 o'clock, nobody . . . 2 o'clock, an automated call saying no worries, they were on there way. . . 3 o'clock, nobody . . . 4 o'clock, nobody and I called the company to see what was going on . . .
4 o'clock - Rep # 1 : very nice and accommodating, but had to place to me on hold for over a half hour to try and figure out the discrepancy between her computer stating someone was en route to my house currently, as well as it saying I had been rescheduled for an appointment three days away. Returning with no answers, she stated she had called my local office and that a local supervisor would be in contact with me shortly.
After 30 minutes and no calls . . .
5 o'clock - Rep # 2 : After explaining my situation and asking for a supervisor, this short and abrupt representative put me on hold, only to return and state my local office was closed and that she had spoken to her supervisor and that I had a scheduled appointment for three days away. She was promptly hung up on . . .
5:15 - Rep # 3 : A very pleasant man answered and stated his supervisor was in a meeting, so he made over a half hour of efforts to call my local branch(which he confirmed was open until 6, despite the previous rep), while finishing by stating a local supervisor will return my call in 30 minutes to an hour, to my protests of "I've already been through this".
45 minutes later, with no returned call . . . .
6:30 Rep # 4 : A pleasant woman answered the phone and handed me over to her supervisor after some brief questions . . .
Supervisor : "We're sorry, but somebody is on their way". To which I responded, "your local offices closed at 6". I was then told that I would receive $100 in compensation, which would barely cover the installation. What a slap in the face!!!!! Avoid this disreputable, dishonest, cluster of a company like the plague!!!!

Customer Service

from Orlando, Florida

Comments about DirecTV:

I had an account with Directv for years before deciding to cancel my service due to the large monthly bill. When I called to cancel my service on October 16, I was congratulated by the customer service representative that I called on the exact day to have a $0.00 balance due to them. This was confirmed multiple times as it seems you always owe a "final bill." Of course, I did receive a bill via email several weeks later and called Directv back on November 15 and again was advised that the bill was in error and they would correct the charges and there was no need for me to pay. GUESS WHAT?!?!?! Directv accessed my checking account and took the billed amount without my consent (they stated there is a disclosure allowing them to do so if you save your information online with them) :( When I called back to discuss this withdrawal with them, I was hung up on multiple times and no one ever tried to call my telephone to reach back out to me (I was on a landline while talking to them so I didn't drop the call). After dealing with customer service for over an hour - being told numerous stories about how it was pro-rated charges or NFP ticket or ??? I was advised that customer service was all I could deal with - there are no managers, supervisors or complaint department. I will NEVER give them my business again. This is a growing trend in American business - not taking care of customers, hiding behind customer service. There is a reason that Hulu and Netfilx are rising. Businesses should really care about who makes them their money. :(

Horrible service and cutomer service

from Saint Louis, Missouri

Comments about DirecTV:

Direct Tv took over $500 out of my account with out my authorization. I am not a customer of Direct Tv. I paid a bill for a family member who is a customer. The family member cancelled their service with them so Direct Tv decided to take money from my account because they had my card information on file from me paying the bill previously for a family member. When I called customer service I could not understand anything that the representative was saying which made the situation even worse. I had a file a dispute with Direct Tv and I'm still waiting for them to respond. Direct Tv also took fees out my account for the equipment not being returned. My family member has an receipt from UPS stating that the equipment was returned and received by Direct TV. Do yourself a favor and don't use their service. They are a rip off and located over seas, you will not be able to understand the customer services reps. I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Beau. Card Services stated that Direct TV has it set up that anytime someone uses a card to pay a bill (even if its not your account) they can access your account at anytime.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

DONT DO IT!

from NJ

Comments about DirecTV:

THE ABSOLUTE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!!!!!! They make promises that they do not keep about promotional offers. AND when u call and spend FOREVER on hold, and they tell you they've fixed what you've called about.......DONT believe them because I really believe they are incapable of fixing anything! Also you can expect to get hung up on atleast a couple times while trying to work out the problem. SO FRUSTRATED!!!