2.4

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Reliability:
    • Content Variety/Availability:
    • I received a sample (51), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (6)

DTV Employee speaks out...

Well, since what I am about to say is probably confidential and proprietary, then I will not post my name or the center for which I work. I am a former supervisor from an outsourced call center that took DTV calls, and currently I am a technical agent at one of DTV'scall centers. I have spent some time reading the posts here and elsewhere, and while there are some valid complaints (we would be remiss if we assumed that a company of DTV's size was completely without fault). However, more often than not, the issues posted on-line are due to confusion and ignorance of fine print policy, as well as industry standards.

First, one of the most common complaints that I hear about is regarding the "invisible" contracts. While I can sympathize to a point, more often than not the anger regarding these contracts is misplaced, as the customer agreement clearly outlines the policy, (this policy is available in its entirety on Directv.com, and I would highly recommend that all customers or prospects read the ENTIRE document BEFORE you sign up. This should be standard practice anyways...). Most customers are not aware (again, at their own fault), of the fact that the receivers that they "purchase" are not theirs to keep but are, in fact, leased. This includes the receivers acquire from Best Buy or other authorized retailers. The prices are exactly the same (around $199 for a HDDVR) regardless of whether one leases from Best Buy or directly from Directv. The fact is, the cost of a receiver (anyone who has bought a receiver can attest to this fact) is much higher than the one time lease fee, closer to $350-$500 for a HDDVR. We do not charge a monthly fee for a lease for any receiver. We do, however, charge a mirroring fee, regardless of owned or leased, for every receiver past the first one. That fee is $5 per extra receiver.  The advantage of leasing equipment is that we can reduce our costs, and therefore replace your busted receiver for free instead of making you purchase another one. However, because of the fact that we live in an age of limited accountability, it is impossible for us to determine if a receiver is faulty due to a malfunciton or an intended cattle prod (yes, it happens FREQUENTLY). Even so, we still cover the replacement receiver, but we think its perfectly reasonable to ask that you cover the shipping. After all, our property was working fine when we sent it to you, and we aren't making you pay for the damages. The downside to this lease is that it DOES carry a 24 month agreement, and this is how we can discount the cost as far as we do. This is not just DTV, but many other companies do this as well. The cell phone industry is a perfect example, and anyone who has tried to cancel their cell phone service early will tell you, this is a common practice in today's economy. Welcome to America. Remember the adage: let the buyer beware. Read the fine print like Mommy and Daddy told you to...

Again and again, I hear complaints about the protection plan. $5.99 seems like alot, until you get a clearer picture of the situation. Again, we are not the only company with such a plan available for our customers. A broadband CABLE provider in my area charges $2.99, and again this is an optional plan. I have had many different providers in the past, and this is commonplace in this industry. Time and again, when I inform our customers that it will cost $49.95 for a service call, I get the same complaint: "You mean to tell me that you are going to charge me for fixing your equipment?". What they don't understand is that the ONLY equipment that we own are the LEASED receivers and that EVERYTHING ELSE BELONGS TO THE ACCOUNT HOLDER. Let this sink in for a moment. That's right, the FREE dish, with the FREE LNBs, and the FREE multiswitch (or the much more expensive SWiM equipment) and the FREE cabling, all installed for free, more often than not, belongs to you. It is now part of your home, and again we cannot be held responsible for customer negligence, or even the chance thereof. While MOST customers are very honest, it is still unwise for us to cover the cost of repairs to a system that no longer belongs to us. We do, however, provide a 90 warranty, so if ANYTHING happens to your system in those 90 days then PLEASE CALL US. The protection plan covers service calls (UNLESS the issue is customer caused. Again, NOT OUR FAULT), the shipping on receivers (just in case) and even the remote. That's right, if YOUR remote breaks, then you must pay to replace it unless you have the protection plan in place. This is not a deceptive practice, but instead another OPTION for our customers. If you have the balls to go without the protection plan, then don't whine when YOUR equipment fails.

Alas, most of the postings here reflect the same tune over and again. Poor customer service. I have customers try to bully me on a daily basis. What customers must understand is that this is not a problem exclusive to DTV, but instead inherent to call centers in general. I have been in customer service for a significant portion of my career, and as any customer service agent can attest, the customer is NOT always right (GASP!!!). There, I said it. the cat's out of the bag, and now we can start setting things right. Most customer service agents will agree that the customer is not always right, but their job is to tell the customer that they are wrong while making them believe that they are, in fact, right. The idea of a never faulty customer comes from a marketing campaign from many years ago, and now our whining populace of consumers think that they are entitled to anything that they want. Guess what, if you try to bully an agent, they won't hang up (we have ways of making you THINK that we have), but you will make things harder for yourself. Once again, this idea is not exclusive to DTV, but to MOST companies in the world. The fact is that DTV has switched their primary metrics for their call center agents. Outsourced call centers enforce Average Handle Time (the length of the call, measured in seconds) as the primary metric by which to measure the performance of their agents. This is because the more calls that they can take, the more money they can make. The downside is that the customer service goes out the window and the agent is only looking for a quick fix to get you off their phone. As a result, a simple issue might be mishandled at the hands of an inexperienced agent, only to be further bungled down the road until the problem takes much longer to straighten out than it should. By the way, call centers in general experience extemely high attrition (mostly due to abusive customers) and therefore it is difficult for ANY company to retain their employees. A direct result of this inherent problem is that more often than not, the agent with which you are speaking is inexperienced and scared to death of you. I was long ago, but no more. A while back, DTVs focus was first call resolution. This means that you would call in and get the results that you were entitled to, but since it took longer to solve an issue you would have to actually wait on hold longer, and this would make people more angry (making it harder for us to HELP you) and therefore, pissed customers would ***** about this. So, sometime ago, (not sure when) DTVs focus shifted from first call resolution to AHT. As a result, we can get to you faster, but then again, customer service goes out the window. The simple fact is DTV, as well as EVERY OTHER CALL CENTER FOR WHICH I HAVE EVER WORKED, uses on-line references to tell us what to do and say. Yes, that's right. We use scripts. Be thankful if you get an agent that disregards these stupid scripts and actually tried to focus on fixing your problem. The reason that many customers feel that they are getting a resolution forced down their throat that doesn't make senseis because that is actually the case, more often than not. The fact is, our quality department will penalize us for NOT running through their stupid scripts. I won't go into details, but the on-line reference that we use is sub-par at best, and this drives up our AHT as we have a difficult time just FINDING the issue in our tools to resolve it for you. Again, experience is key here, as tenured agents are hard to retain and hard to come by. DTV is a great company for which to work, but the customers make this job unbearable.

The fact is that since day one, DTV has set itself apart (at least, for me it has) by focusing on customer satisfaction. We even have a several hour course that we are required to complete during training on customer care and how to interact with customers. As you walk through the center, you see posters, banners, and messages everywhere, all screaming the same thing: The customer is the MOST important part of our company, and customer satisfaction is the most important thing to our company. When the customer comes first, the customer will last, they say. Our QA department focuses on only 2 aspects of the call: relationship (how the agent will affect the business relationship with the customer) and resolution (whether the solution was appropriate for the customer). ANY thing that could POSSIBLY negatively affect ourrelationship with the customer is marked against us. Don't get me wrong, just because you THINK that you are right doesn't mean that we are going to throw credits at you just to satisfy you. This would negatively affect our relationship. The fact remains, no matter what we do, no matter how much we care (and we do...by the way), we are just not going to make most people happy. FYI: going back to the service call issue, it costs us more than DOUBLE to send out a tech to repair YOUR equipment. About a year and a half ago, we even DROPPED the cost of our SCs from $79.95 to $49.95, JUST TO MAKE YOU HAPPY. Based on the posts herein and elsewhere, even this is not enough.

As far as the rebates, I have no idea. I do know that one of the biggest obstacles to our billing agents is the ignorance of our customers regarding our billing policy. Most customers believe that we bill re-actively, for the previous month. I don't think so. Instead, we bill for the upcoming month. For example, if your bill is generated, say, on the 4th of the month, then the bill you are paying is from that day until then next 4th. This means that you are paying for the upcoming month, not the previous month. Therefore, if you ever lose your services midmonth (such as when YOU don't pay your bill) then you get a partial credit to cover the difference, because we aren't going to charge you for service if you are cut off. However, the downside is that when your services are cut back on, your going to regain the remaining charges to cover your precious TV until your next bill. Since you probably didn't pay this difference, then it is simply tacked on to your next bill, where your next month of service is being charged there as well. Do you have any idea how hard it is to calm down a customer that just doesn't understand this? Do you even have the slightest idea how hard it is to educate the customer on this (industry wide) pratice AND get them to pay their bill AND get them to like it? All in under 10 minutes? No wonder attrition is so high in call centers.

FYI: when you call, asking for a supervisor is a BAD idea. Its not a matter of authority, its the simple fact that supervisors are not accountable for AHT and will NOT budge on the policies. Also, more often than not your not even talking to the supervisor, but instead a more tenured agent standing in while the supervisor is busy. No offence, but customers have threatened our lives, screamed obscenities, cursed our mothers, and been EXTREMELY abusive. Why in hell would we care if you get your tv on at that point? If you want results, respect the agent (NOT just DTV, but customer service agents EVERYWHERE), be nice, firm, and polite. Respect their primary metrics (AHT, Quality, and CSAT) and they will do ANYTHING THAT THEY CAN FOR YOU. We will beg our supervisors to give you credits, we will provide special offers that are available to all customers (we don't provide them to abusive idiots, quality be damned) and will go out of our way (even risking AHT in the process) just to make you happy if you are polite and courteous. Trust me, people who get yelled at for a living will bend over backwards for the nice people in this world. Trying to bully an agent, especially when its YOUR FAULT is going to tie up the phone lines and make your life even worse. Guess what, the reason you were on hold for so long is because some ******* was arguing a lost cause with an agent for 40 mins and then the supervisor, all because he thought that he was always right instead of paying his bill, or letting the agent help him fix his system.

As always, read the fine print on the agreement before you sign the dotted line, *******. Yes, we retain credit card information on file, because we are trusting you with hundreds, maybe thousands, of dollars worth of equipment and we are going to retain ANY information given. That means addresses, phone numbers, names, social security (we NEVER ask for SSN when troubleshooting systems) and credit/ debit card information. That way, JUST IN CASE someone DOES rip us off (HAPPENS EVERY DAY, FYI...) we have some means of recovering our losses. Welcome to America, where this is practiced every day with most companies in the country, and even the planet. As always, I would advise you to research your business partners (TV providers, cell phone companies, etc...). This should go without saying. However, considering the current economic crisis, it really doesn't surprise me that customers have no f*cking clue what they are doing when they sign up. You have been warned.

Sales will lie BIG TIME to get a contract!!!

We did not have any problems with the dish. The problems we encountered were with sales and customer service. We were told that if we moved before our contract ended that the contract would be void as long as we were unable to get direct tv at the place we moved to. We moved before our 2 year contract ended and are unable to get direct tv at our current address. We are not allowed to use any service other than what is provided by our apartment complex. We called Direct tv and they said "You don't have to move to a place that it is not allowed. You will be charged $300." So we had them send out a technician knowing he would not have a line of sign from where we would be living. He came out and confirmed that he would not be able to install a dish and also that there was no line of site. He documented it on our account as him not being able to install a dish (not that he couldn't get a line of site). They closed out our account and charged our credit card and said that they will not resend a technician to document it correctly because our account is now closed. Thanks Direct Tv for lying and taking money out of our account that was not rightfully yours. Had I known you would do this I would have cancelled my credit card that you have on file, Kept the direct tv box and smashed it instead of sending it back to you. Now I am stuck with only being able to tell everyone about your terrible service. I will not only put it all over the internet every place I get, but I will also write it on my car windows so that people will see it everywhere I drive.

Ending service

from Wisconsin

Comments about DirecTV:

I am trying to end my service because I am moving across country and am having great difficulties in doing so. After arguing with 3 people for an entire afternoon, they went ahead and set something up so the technician would come to my new address. They are telling me I am breaking my contract. I've had service with them since 2011. I had a contract for 2 or 3 years. I have never signed another contract. I could not get a quote on what my final bill be They did say it would another couple of hundred dollars for breaking a contract I don't have.

Horrible Service - jacked my bill up EVERY month!!!!

from Jacksonville, FL

Comments about DirecTV:

Horrible horrible dealing with this company!!! If I could I would give this company zero stars!!! Every month my bill was drastically incorrect. I've spent hours on the phone with this company for them to transfer me from person to person to actually get somewhere then be hung up on after 73 mins on the phone. It's rediculous how my bill would increase every month. This company is stealing from hard working individuals who don't have the time to constantly look at their increasing bill every month. Had I not stayed on top of this company monthly they would kill me financially. I had to take this company off auto pay bc they are so unorganized and suck!!! Finally I've had enough!!! I'm done with this crazy company!!! Do not merge your statement with AT&T omg was that a nightmare!!!!

Dont take the free packages

from Colorado

Comments about DirecTV:

I received a call from Direct TV for a free upgrade to try new channels for three months. However it was not free. They charged over $30 even though they say it will be free. They changed my plan and stated that I called and changed it which is a lie. I also have billing problems with them all the time and can never find anyone that can help me or solve the issue.

CROOKS

from Reno

10 year customer

They were ok in the beginning Now they don't do what they agree w you
They over charge me
They hung up the phones on you
They are not efficient over the phone
They are thiefs. They charge your card without your consent
HORRIBLE WAY TO DO BUSINESS

USE AN ANTENNA

Nothing but problems1

from West linn, oregon

Comments about DirecTV:

I signed up for a phone,internet and cable package with direct TV. I was told a number of things by the man I set this up with and many of them have not been correct or honored. I spend 3 hours on the phone on Saturday trying to get my bill corrected. It's over $100 more than what it's supposed to be and we aren't on the plan we were promised. I've been sent to the wrong department more times than I can count and even had a supervisor hang up on me!! And I was not at all rude just frustrated. She verified my call back # at the beginning of the call but never bothered to call me back after we were disconnected. I don't know what to do but if this is the beginning I dread dealing with this company for 2 years. Save yourself the trouble!!

I give Direct TV a very poor rating.

from angola ny

Comments about DirecTV:

I had Direct TV installed w/Hughe's for internet. Within two weeks because it rained I lost the signal, the programming is ridiculous info mercial after info mercial, the channels are a mess. very little to watch. I called to cancel within 30 days of install and they said I had to pay $460.00. The fight is on.

Direct TV needs professionals who know the job.

from Washington, Pennsylvania

Comments about DirecTV:

I canceled Direct TV in October 2016. In May 2017 I was contacted by a collection company that I owed $381.00. I called the company who said I canceled than ordered a 3 month program which I didn't. Trying to resolve this, I spoke to a representative and I wrote directly to the company and as yet I haven't received a response. I have excellent credit, pay my bills on time and have called for their resolution and as yet, no response. Meanwhile, I am waiting and angry . Bills weren't sent to me nor did anyone from Direct TV call me from October 2016 thru April 2017 to say I owed . It doesn't make sense one would cancel which is in their notes and then call for a program. I moved out furniture, TV , internet and had no electricity. What was I to watch this on? I had no problem with any thing else once I canceled. I even received a refund from Verizon. Direct Tv has to be a poorly serviced company to do this to a client.

Terrible company

from Appomattox, VA

Comments about DirecTV:

Worst company I have ever delt with. Whatever you do don't accidentally overpay them. You won't get a check back from them, you'll get a prepaid debit card so you can spend the money at the store somewhere. If you want a check, you have to relinquish your financial information to the card issuer. Imagine, you have to contact THERE BANK on THERE BEHALF to get a check instead of a stupid card. What a scam. I'll never do business with them again

Worse Treatment Ever!!!!!!!!!

from Atlanta GA

Comments about DirecTV:

I just called Directv to cancel my services with them do to their Tech canceling my appt. not once but twice without notifing me, I took off work to transfer services and get it installed at my new place and I can't keep taking off work like that and then this Lady in the Loyalty Dept name Connie I spoke with told me that she thinks I am trying to cancel my service because my promotion was about to end and I don't want to pay the full bill.SMH who says that to customers and she talked to me like a Dog telling me thats what the bill is and you need to pay the 240.00 early termination fee she isn't waving anything and I am trying to get out of my bill thats not true at all the Tech. NEVER showed up and she was some very RUDE to me for no reason and she is in the Loyalty Dept. she telling me she can re-schedule my appt and I telling her Ma'am I can't keep taking off work like that for cable and she didn't want hear nothing I had to say I even asked her can I pay half of the early termination fee and she told me no I will price the whole price point blank period. Mind you I was told I can pay half of the 240 which would have been 120 and my acct was notated by a young lady name Kenya before I spoke to Connie and she told me I should have took it then when it was offered to me again very Rude for no reason. All I want to do is Cancel my services and go about my business. I feel I shouldn't have to pay early Termination FEE because none of this was my fault at all but I am hit with the cost. DirectTV please get you Loyalty Dept Employees more training especially CONNIE she wouldn't give me her last name or ID number but trust me if you pull that call you will hear how NASTY and RUDE she was for no reason!!!!! DirecTV you have definitely lost a Customer when I have referred a few of friends to your company. However after the treatment I recieved from CONNIE left a bad taste in my mouth for the company in a whole she was the WORSE!!!

Expensive and Manipulative

from Davis, CA

Comments about DirecTV:

The quality of the signal is fine, as is the reliability. It is an acceptable option, if you have no broadband cable. The pricing is high. The company has made it extraordinarily difficult to cancel the service. Don't even try without going to an AT&T store and having an employee do it for you. In my case, it took the employee almost an hour navigating the company's telephone system to be able to cancel the service for me. I returned the cable boxes as instructed. Then I received a $500 bill for the equipment I had returned.