2.4

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Reliability:
    • Content Variety/Availability:
    • I received a sample (46), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (5)

DTV Employee speaks out...

Well, since what I am about to say is probably confidential and proprietary, then I will not post my name or the center for which I work. I am a former supervisor from an outsourced call center that took DTV calls, and currently I am a technical agent at one of DTV'scall centers. I have spent some time reading the posts here and elsewhere, and while there are some valid complaints (we would be remiss if we assumed that a company of DTV's size was completely without fault). However, more often than not, the issues posted on-line are due to confusion and ignorance of fine print policy, as well as industry standards.

First, one of the most common complaints that I hear about is regarding the "invisible" contracts. While I can sympathize to a point, more often than not the anger regarding these contracts is misplaced, as the customer agreement clearly outlines the policy, (this policy is available in its entirety on Directv.com, and I would highly recommend that all customers or prospects read the ENTIRE document BEFORE you sign up. This should be standard practice anyways...). Most customers are not aware (again, at their own fault), of the fact that the receivers that they "purchase" are not theirs to keep but are, in fact, leased. This includes the receivers acquire from Best Buy or other authorized retailers. The prices are exactly the same (around $199 for a HDDVR) regardless of whether one leases from Best Buy or directly from Directv. The fact is, the cost of a receiver (anyone who has bought a receiver can attest to this fact) is much higher than the one time lease fee, closer to $350-$500 for a HDDVR. We do not charge a monthly fee for a lease for any receiver. We do, however, charge a mirroring fee, regardless of owned or leased, for every receiver past the first one. That fee is $5 per extra receiver.  The advantage of leasing equipment is that we can reduce our costs, and therefore replace your busted receiver for free instead of making you purchase another one. However, because of the fact that we live in an age of limited accountability, it is impossible for us to determine if a receiver is faulty due to a malfunciton or an intended cattle prod (yes, it happens FREQUENTLY). Even so, we still cover the replacement receiver, but we think its perfectly reasonable to ask that you cover the shipping. After all, our property was working fine when we sent it to you, and we aren't making you pay for the damages. The downside to this lease is that it DOES carry a 24 month agreement, and this is how we can discount the cost as far as we do. This is not just DTV, but many other companies do this as well. The cell phone industry is a perfect example, and anyone who has tried to cancel their cell phone service early will tell you, this is a common practice in today's economy. Welcome to America. Remember the adage: let the buyer beware. Read the fine print like Mommy and Daddy told you to...

Again and again, I hear complaints about the protection plan. $5.99 seems like alot, until you get a clearer picture of the situation. Again, we are not the only company with such a plan available for our customers. A broadband CABLE provider in my area charges $2.99, and again this is an optional plan. I have had many different providers in the past, and this is commonplace in this industry. Time and again, when I inform our customers that it will cost $49.95 for a service call, I get the same complaint: "You mean to tell me that you are going to charge me for fixing your equipment?". What they don't understand is that the ONLY equipment that we own are the LEASED receivers and that EVERYTHING ELSE BELONGS TO THE ACCOUNT HOLDER. Let this sink in for a moment. That's right, the FREE dish, with the FREE LNBs, and the FREE multiswitch (or the much more expensive SWiM equipment) and the FREE cabling, all installed for free, more often than not, belongs to you. It is now part of your home, and again we cannot be held responsible for customer negligence, or even the chance thereof. While MOST customers are very honest, it is still unwise for us to cover the cost of repairs to a system that no longer belongs to us. We do, however, provide a 90 warranty, so if ANYTHING happens to your system in those 90 days then PLEASE CALL US. The protection plan covers service calls (UNLESS the issue is customer caused. Again, NOT OUR FAULT), the shipping on receivers (just in case) and even the remote. That's right, if YOUR remote breaks, then you must pay to replace it unless you have the protection plan in place. This is not a deceptive practice, but instead another OPTION for our customers. If you have the balls to go without the protection plan, then don't whine when YOUR equipment fails.

Alas, most of the postings here reflect the same tune over and again. Poor customer service. I have customers try to bully me on a daily basis. What customers must understand is that this is not a problem exclusive to DTV, but instead inherent to call centers in general. I have been in customer service for a significant portion of my career, and as any customer service agent can attest, the customer is NOT always right (GASP!!!). There, I said it. the cat's out of the bag, and now we can start setting things right. Most customer service agents will agree that the customer is not always right, but their job is to tell the customer that they are wrong while making them believe that they are, in fact, right. The idea of a never faulty customer comes from a marketing campaign from many years ago, and now our whining populace of consumers think that they are entitled to anything that they want. Guess what, if you try to bully an agent, they won't hang up (we have ways of making you THINK that we have), but you will make things harder for yourself. Once again, this idea is not exclusive to DTV, but to MOST companies in the world. The fact is that DTV has switched their primary metrics for their call center agents. Outsourced call centers enforce Average Handle Time (the length of the call, measured in seconds) as the primary metric by which to measure the performance of their agents. This is because the more calls that they can take, the more money they can make. The downside is that the customer service goes out the window and the agent is only looking for a quick fix to get you off their phone. As a result, a simple issue might be mishandled at the hands of an inexperienced agent, only to be further bungled down the road until the problem takes much longer to straighten out than it should. By the way, call centers in general experience extemely high attrition (mostly due to abusive customers) and therefore it is difficult for ANY company to retain their employees. A direct result of this inherent problem is that more often than not, the agent with which you are speaking is inexperienced and scared to death of you. I was long ago, but no more. A while back, DTVs focus was first call resolution. This means that you would call in and get the results that you were entitled to, but since it took longer to solve an issue you would have to actually wait on hold longer, and this would make people more angry (making it harder for us to HELP you) and therefore, pissed customers would ***** about this. So, sometime ago, (not sure when) DTVs focus shifted from first call resolution to AHT. As a result, we can get to you faster, but then again, customer service goes out the window. The simple fact is DTV, as well as EVERY OTHER CALL CENTER FOR WHICH I HAVE EVER WORKED, uses on-line references to tell us what to do and say. Yes, that's right. We use scripts. Be thankful if you get an agent that disregards these stupid scripts and actually tried to focus on fixing your problem. The reason that many customers feel that they are getting a resolution forced down their throat that doesn't make senseis because that is actually the case, more often than not. The fact is, our quality department will penalize us for NOT running through their stupid scripts. I won't go into details, but the on-line reference that we use is sub-par at best, and this drives up our AHT as we have a difficult time just FINDING the issue in our tools to resolve it for you. Again, experience is key here, as tenured agents are hard to retain and hard to come by. DTV is a great company for which to work, but the customers make this job unbearable.

The fact is that since day one, DTV has set itself apart (at least, for me it has) by focusing on customer satisfaction. We even have a several hour course that we are required to complete during training on customer care and how to interact with customers. As you walk through the center, you see posters, banners, and messages everywhere, all screaming the same thing: The customer is the MOST important part of our company, and customer satisfaction is the most important thing to our company. When the customer comes first, the customer will last, they say. Our QA department focuses on only 2 aspects of the call: relationship (how the agent will affect the business relationship with the customer) and resolution (whether the solution was appropriate for the customer). ANY thing that could POSSIBLY negatively affect ourrelationship with the customer is marked against us. Don't get me wrong, just because you THINK that you are right doesn't mean that we are going to throw credits at you just to satisfy you. This would negatively affect our relationship. The fact remains, no matter what we do, no matter how much we care (and we do...by the way), we are just not going to make most people happy. FYI: going back to the service call issue, it costs us more than DOUBLE to send out a tech to repair YOUR equipment. About a year and a half ago, we even DROPPED the cost of our SCs from $79.95 to $49.95, JUST TO MAKE YOU HAPPY. Based on the posts herein and elsewhere, even this is not enough.

As far as the rebates, I have no idea. I do know that one of the biggest obstacles to our billing agents is the ignorance of our customers regarding our billing policy. Most customers believe that we bill re-actively, for the previous month. I don't think so. Instead, we bill for the upcoming month. For example, if your bill is generated, say, on the 4th of the month, then the bill you are paying is from that day until then next 4th. This means that you are paying for the upcoming month, not the previous month. Therefore, if you ever lose your services midmonth (such as when YOU don't pay your bill) then you get a partial credit to cover the difference, because we aren't going to charge you for service if you are cut off. However, the downside is that when your services are cut back on, your going to regain the remaining charges to cover your precious TV until your next bill. Since you probably didn't pay this difference, then it is simply tacked on to your next bill, where your next month of service is being charged there as well. Do you have any idea how hard it is to calm down a customer that just doesn't understand this? Do you even have the slightest idea how hard it is to educate the customer on this (industry wide) pratice AND get them to pay their bill AND get them to like it? All in under 10 minutes? No wonder attrition is so high in call centers.

FYI: when you call, asking for a supervisor is a BAD idea. Its not a matter of authority, its the simple fact that supervisors are not accountable for AHT and will NOT budge on the policies. Also, more often than not your not even talking to the supervisor, but instead a more tenured agent standing in while the supervisor is busy. No offence, but customers have threatened our lives, screamed obscenities, cursed our mothers, and been EXTREMELY abusive. Why in hell would we care if you get your tv on at that point? If you want results, respect the agent (NOT just DTV, but customer service agents EVERYWHERE), be nice, firm, and polite. Respect their primary metrics (AHT, Quality, and CSAT) and they will do ANYTHING THAT THEY CAN FOR YOU. We will beg our supervisors to give you credits, we will provide special offers that are available to all customers (we don't provide them to abusive idiots, quality be damned) and will go out of our way (even risking AHT in the process) just to make you happy if you are polite and courteous. Trust me, people who get yelled at for a living will bend over backwards for the nice people in this world. Trying to bully an agent, especially when its YOUR FAULT is going to tie up the phone lines and make your life even worse. Guess what, the reason you were on hold for so long is because some ******* was arguing a lost cause with an agent for 40 mins and then the supervisor, all because he thought that he was always right instead of paying his bill, or letting the agent help him fix his system.

As always, read the fine print on the agreement before you sign the dotted line, *******. Yes, we retain credit card information on file, because we are trusting you with hundreds, maybe thousands, of dollars worth of equipment and we are going to retain ANY information given. That means addresses, phone numbers, names, social security (we NEVER ask for SSN when troubleshooting systems) and credit/ debit card information. That way, JUST IN CASE someone DOES rip us off (HAPPENS EVERY DAY, FYI...) we have some means of recovering our losses. Welcome to America, where this is practiced every day with most companies in the country, and even the planet. As always, I would advise you to research your business partners (TV providers, cell phone companies, etc...). This should go without saying. However, considering the current economic crisis, it really doesn't surprise me that customers have no f*cking clue what they are doing when they sign up. You have been warned.

Sales will lie BIG TIME to get a contract!!!

We did not have any problems with the dish. The problems we encountered were with sales and customer service. We were told that if we moved before our contract ended that the contract would be void as long as we were unable to get direct tv at the place we moved to. We moved before our 2 year contract ended and are unable to get direct tv at our current address. We are not allowed to use any service other than what is provided by our apartment complex. We called Direct tv and they said "You don't have to move to a place that it is not allowed. You will be charged $300." So we had them send out a technician knowing he would not have a line of sign from where we would be living. He came out and confirmed that he would not be able to install a dish and also that there was no line of site. He documented it on our account as him not being able to install a dish (not that he couldn't get a line of site). They closed out our account and charged our credit card and said that they will not resend a technician to document it correctly because our account is now closed. Thanks Direct Tv for lying and taking money out of our account that was not rightfully yours. Had I known you would do this I would have cancelled my credit card that you have on file, Kept the direct tv box and smashed it instead of sending it back to you. Now I am stuck with only being able to tell everyone about your terrible service. I will not only put it all over the internet every place I get, but I will also write it on my car windows so that people will see it everywhere I drive.

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from Connecitcut

Comments about DirecTV:

Direct TV customer service reps are HORRIBLE!!! I tried to order a movie & they wouldn't process my order because they say that I had a past due balance even though I paid that last week. I explained that to them as well. Before they got taken over my AT&T I would always be able to order movies & it just would get billed on my next statement, but now apparently the customer is not a priority & I've been a customer for 3 years but don't worry I'm on the phone now with dish network to cancel our HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE SERIVICE From direct TV & order from the dish !! Also the receivers are CHEAP!! they always go out & we have to reset them but to try to call customer service reps that I cant even UNDERSTAND is becoming a nuisance!! Also the last customer service rep I talked to actually said to me "good luck getting a manger to order a movie it wont happen!! What great service!! Michael White the CEO should be ashamed of running such a horrible operation apperantly the bottom line is more important than the satisfaction of customers!! PATHETIC!! NEVER EVER ORDER FROM THIS SCAM OF A COMPANY!!! Direct TV is horrible they were much better before they got bought out. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone!! Overpriced service for the little they offer!!

Sincerely,

UNSATISFIED CUMSTOMER

Worst customer service in the world!!!!!!!

from Cleveland tx

Comments about DirecTV:

Sorriest company I have ever delt with

Utterly Disgusted

from Florida

Comments about DirecTV:

Horrible customer service from a manager named Brian. Basically one of our promo's expired and we were charged a higher amount than we expected. We had also called 2 weeks prior for the same thing and the previous agent assured us of the billing price and that we wouldn't be charged above the discussed amount. Needless to say after (ashamed to say) raised voices and not nice words the manager would do nothing and spoke to me as if I was a nuisance. I have never been treated so terribly, not even by Comcast!

Let me clarify, I NEVER do this!!!! How can a company who depends on customers for success care so less about their customers? Sadly, I can answer my own question.... They have gotten too big and don't care about the little guy. After tonight I am ready to get the old rabbit ears out of the closet.

I hope this helps! Please check your bill and ensure the timing of the expiration of promo's.

They lie, make you wait and never honor their word

from Bennington, NH

Comments about DirecTV:

I have been on hold for 45 minutes, talked to supervisors who have blatantly lied repeatedly, been hung up on for no reason other than politely asking for a manager and had to call billing 4 months in a row for incorrect billing. This is the worst company that I have ever done business with. And, clearly, they don't care!

Worst Customer Service

from Austin, TX

Comments about DirecTV:

I have been a customer for 20 years and it is safe to say they have no idea what the term customer service means. My directv has not been properly working on any TV for the past week and everytime I called customer service they would tell me to unplug everything and connect it back. Finally after a week of calling them everyday I told them that obviously that was not working and I needed the service people to come home and fix the problem. They did not have service people available until the next weekend, and they are expecting me to pay them $50. So they think I'm going to pay the monthly fee and then an extra $50 even though I've only have been able to watch directv for 2 weeks. When I told them that the lady on the line told me, "well ma'am can't you watch tv somewhere else". They have a sorry and irresponsible customer service representatives. I would give them 0 stars if I could.

DO NOT GET DIRECT TV!

from Grants Pass OR

Comments about DirecTV:

Direct TV service is horrible, their customer service is beyond rude and you'll end up paying more for the service then you ever imagined! They have made multiple unauthorized charges to my debit card and refuse to reimburse me. They even caused my account to be over drawn. I have never had my account on auto-pay, they were unauthorized charges.

The worst

from Pittsburgh

Comments about DirecTV:

I have never, ever, in my life experienced such a unprofessional Customer Service. Very poor telephone reception, could not hear or understand the 3 representatives I spoke to. One dropped me as I was on hold. One dropped me on a transfer to another dept. The last one would not listen to me, answered questions I didn't ask. I will be trying to call the executive offices in the morning.

Completely Irresponsible. Nighmare to work with

from Miami, FL

Comments about DirecTV:

My installation for DirecTV was scheduled a week in advance for June 27th between 8:00 am-12 noon (I have confirmation email and confirmation voicemail to prove it) Nobody showed up in my house or called me, and when I called 4 times during the day they kept saying to wait because they were on their way. I missed a day of work waiting for nothing.
After the 5th call I made at 7:00 pm they finally realized nobody was coming so they made the appointment for Tuesday. Someone showed up but didn't have the correct ladder to go on the roof so he left. They made another appointment for today and again I didn't go to the office and waited for them. I received a call saying they would be here between 1:20-1:50 pm. Its 4:00 pm and nobody came, again I called twice and they said they were on their way. I just called for the 3rd time and now said its for tomorrow (There is no access to the roof on weekends) how can they change dates without my permission and have me here. What kind of game is this? I am furious. I missed 2 days of work and now they don't even know when they are going to make it. I have been without TV for 2 weeks.

Scam!

from 40229

Comments about DirecTV:

After switching to Direct the price I was quoted and documented has never been charged. Always getting a higher bill and having to call them monthly. Each agent and supervisor I have spoken to lies. I received an online questionnaire but to no avail. Why ask questions if they don't do anything? I have yet to speak to a Direct customer who is not experiencing the same dilemma. Case in point: my neighbor is seven months in and still must call each month.
In conclusion:
Stay with a consistent billing company.
Definitely don't sign up for automatic payments.
If you get suckered in, don't believe the $100 friend sign up or other gotchas.

False Installation

from Shawnee, Ks

Comments about DirecTV:

I have had Directv at my second home for 15 years and have no complaints. When I decided to leave TWC I chose a package deal with ATandT/Directv for satellite, phone and internet. The installation went fine until they came to the satellite. The two techs tried many different locations but could get no signal. They called for a third tech who had more experience in satellite installation. He finally mounted it on the roof. This was in March. As the leaves began to grow I was getting signals that the satellite was losing signals. This was within the first two weeks. I called and they checked my receiver and reset it. It just kept getting worse until I was losing most channels. A tech came out and told me there were no sight lines. I ended up going to Uverse tv and paying a lot more. I called Directv to come and remove the dish and they said they do not do that. It is part of the agreement that once it is on your property it is yours. I wanted the dish off my roof. I could not find anyone that would remove it until I found a company online. They sent someone out to remove it for $179. I contacted Directv to be reimbursed. They say since they waived the cancellation fee that is all they would do. Needless to say I am upset would be putting it mildly. The tech knew there would be problems once leaves came out and still put up the dish! They did not fulfill their part of the bargain but expect me to. Do they really believe they could have charged a cancellation fee. God complex much!