View more laptops

3.5

Big & beautiful presentation - lame & lacking performance

from New York, NY

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

The Dell Inspiron 9200 is advertised as a "desktop replacement" laptop. An accurate prediction, for while the 17" screen is terrific for opening multiple pages and multi-tasking online and satisfying media-related activities, it isn't exactly your best option for an "on0the-go" laptop computer!

Weighing in at just under 8lbs, it is a mighty weight for anyone's backpack or carry-on -- but functions beautifully for video functionality ... at home. Solid construction, lovely design, but some serious issues rear their heads in the technical department.

Dell offers a 3-year warranty with most of their personal computers, and for almost three years to the day, no real technical problems occured. I even recommended this laptop to my sister, who purchased one for herself about 8 months later. Then, sure enough, the week after our warranties each expired, a number of serious glitches appeared.

Battery-life issues, an unstable AC-adapter and power cord, a faulty internal DVD-player and -for my sister- a monitor that only functions on an unusable half-a-screen basis!

I understand that the lifespan for a portable laptop is shorter than its desktop counterparts, for obvious reasons. But given that this particular model is as stationary as any at-home-use-only desktop computer, the number of problems it has developed is not acceptable.

My First Computer - good buy!

from Gonzales, LA

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

I have had this computer for almost five years now.  I haven't had a single bit of trouble with it.  It is getting a little bit out of date because the RAM is a little low compared to up to date models.  I have several programs loaded and it's doing fine.  I use it for internet use and I love photography.  I would recommend this computer to anyone.  I love that it has a 17" screen.  It's bulky if you were to have to carry it around, but mine stays on a desk at home.