View more laptops

Dell (1558) Notebook PC

Pros

Cons

• Speed/Performance:

The Dell Studio 15 Laptop is the best computer I've ever owned!

I bought this computer last year with my income tax money.  I got everything I could put in it, and I've not regereted that decision!  This computer has never given me any problems.  I purchased the optional fingerprint scanner and I love that feature!  This computer is very lightweight and portable.  It's easy to navigate to the areas you need most.  Also, since purchasing this computer, I have been able to go back to school!  I started going to school at the Art Institute, which requires a lot of work on the computer.  So this computer has met all of my needs... even when I didn't know I needed them!  I plan to stick with Dell for all of my future computer purchases.  They are a great company.  I once even worked for Dell in their plant in Lebanon, TN.  It was a fun learning experience and I got to know all the internal workings of the computers.  I learned that they were set on providing high quality to their customers, which was a main reason I wanted to go with them when I purchased a laptop.

My laptop came with the webcam and microphone built in, which really excited me.  It wasn't long before I found out that my computer has a feature that allows me to operate the entire machine by just talking to it!  I haven't completely figured all of that out, but it's great to know it's there.  I also love the built-in wifi.  No need to buy and install it. I have been able to connect my new printer wirelessly, which is great because the less wires, the better!  Another feature I really like are the touch buttons about the F-keys.  Just tap the "eject" symbol and your cd/dvd will come right out!  It also has the volume buttons, and play/pause features for music and movies.  Something else I also enjoy is the fact that the plugs for the computer, such as the usb and power plugs, do not plug into the back, but on the sides.  Much easier to work with!

I would recommend this computer to anyone.  It's great for just about anything you need to do!

Not the best computer or service. I should have bought a Mac.

Like I said in the title. Not the best computer or service. I got this computer at the beginning of April. In May I was having problems with it starting. I have a two year warrant. When calling customer service I would talk to two or three people and an hour later I got a person that could address the error messages I was getting. They then kept telling me it was a software problem or it was overheating. That is a big difference in my book and was not happy that this was happening a month into me using a brand new computer of theirs. They said that it was nothing that technical support could do because it was not a technical problem and wanted me to pay for software assistance because that is not covered under the warrany that I had. I wasn't paying anymore for this computer since it was brand new. I resorted to reformating it and it has been running smoothly since. Needless to say, Dell should have some cusomter service agents that are on your side and who will listen to the real issues and not try to get their customers to spend even more of their money. I should have gotten a Mac

Awesome laptop.

Pros

• Comfortable Keyboard
  • Fast
  • Long Battery Life
  • Powerful
  • Quality Display

Cons

• Business Use
    • Graphics
    • Music
    • Video
    • Web Browsing
    • Word Processing

Comments about Dell (1558) Notebook PC:

I have used my Studio 1555 since I graduated in 2009. I have never had an issue with it and the laptop does everything I want it to do.

• Primary use:
    • Personal

Dell Studio 1558 Laptop

Comments about Dell (1558) Notebook PC:

I have a love-hate relationship with this computer. It is a powerful machine, but I've had too many problems with it and have had the worst experiences with Dell Customer Support.

The computer is very easy to use. It's easy to customize most settings and Windows 7 is very easy and straight-forward to navigate.

Battery Life
    I don't remember what the original battery life was like, but I can't use my laptop for more than an hour before it needs to be plugged in.

Support & Service
    I have gotten the worst support from Dell! When my computer broke, they promised to fix it by replacing a few components with refurbished ones. However, my computer failed once again a few weeks later and they suggested the same thing! So I went along with it, even though it took hours out of my time. Even after replacing components twice and spending hours upon hours on the phone with customer support, my computer still has problems and still occasionally blue screens, even though it's been only a few months since Dell supposedly 'fixed' my laptop.

Overall, the body is quite durable and can withstand a lot. However, it is easily susceptible to scratches and tiny breaks of the plastic body.

This Dell 1558 is fast and efficent

from Deer Park, NY

Comments about Dell (1558) Notebook PC:

It's the best laptop I ever had, it's fast and efficent and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It doesn't heat up on your lap while using it on battery power like my old Dell Lap top. It has all the bells and whisles and a great camera too. I use it for everything and it's a great replacement for your desk top too. It has a fantastic HD screen and with a high speed connection you can see these videos and movies on full screen. With the bigger battery you can run it for 6 - 8 hours without needing a charge. The only thing I wished I had done was order it with the lighted keyboard, when using it in a dark room it's hard to see the keys. Plugging into an HDMI TV input you can use the computer on the full screen TV which is a big plus. Thanks Dell for making lthe perfect laptop.

Good machine but watch out

from Salt Lake City, UT

Comments about Dell (1558) Notebook PC:

I recently bought a dell studio 1558 machine with core i7 720qm processor. It came with 4 gb ram, dvd rw drive, 1 gb dedicated graphics card and a 500 gb hard drive

I thought I got a pretty good deal on dell outlet when I bought this machine. However since it came in I had issues with freezing multiple times. I chatted with customer service and they gave me a # to call to. Upon doing the troubleshoot they determined that it was a hard drive failure. Thats when my troubles began. No body owned the issues. the laptop belonged to canada and canada would not support me as I bought it in US. Likewise with US. They took me on a wild goose chase and finally are sending me a replacement

Coming to the laptop itself, the keyboard is just fantastic. This is the first time I have liked a keyboard that is non IBM type. The screen sits a little back and the i7 processor is just a awesome processor. Overall I am satisfied with the machine but not dell's CS

Dell Studio 1558 Laptop Offers Great Options at a Good Value

from Spirit Lake, IA

Comments about Dell (1558) Notebook PC:

I purchased this laptop through Dell's outlet as a scratch and dent.  The cost was excellent and I was able to snag one in the Spring Green color at an excellent price.  A Dell outlet coupon code brought the total down even further.  I was quite pleased to have the laptop arrive with only a "fingernail" scratch on the back of the screen.

I am an amateur photographer and I needed a laptop within my budget to be able to edit photographs using Photoshop.  I wanted to stay with a Dell as my last purchase (a Dell PC) has been reliable for the last six years.  I did some research and this computer definitely offered more than the Dell Inspirons as it's created with options geared toward those into media and gaming.

In addition to photo editing, I use the laptop to listen to music, to blog, and for my online education.  I am one to go overboard in multi-tasking and am thrilled I can keep numerous programs open without any issues.  I am also pleased to have a webcam.  While I haven't utilized it yet, it will be bonus to use in the future to communicate with family and friends.

The laptop was simple to setup.  The speed of the processor and the clarity of the screen is excellent.  The built-in speakers work great for personal enjoyment.

I initially wanted a 17" laptop, but am quite pleased with the 15.6" size.  The weight is excellent and conducive for transporting.  The battery life is great for what I'm doing, but I am connected to an outlet most of the time.

Great Laptop For the Budget Conscious!

from Fort Atkinson, WI

Comments about Dell (1558) Notebook PC:

I am reviewing the Dell Studio 1558 Laptop with Windows 7 500gb hard drive.I purchased this because I had been having a lot of back problems since my car accident.  I couldn't sit at a regular desk anymore.  I went to search at different manufacturers and by far I found that Dell had the best price.  I liked the fact that you could customize it by color or you could get a design that you wanted on it.  I like the fact that laptops now are not plane Jane.  I like some personality to my laptop.When I got it, I had no problems getting started. I turned it on and it guided me on starting it up and getting settings set.  It is sturdy and doesn't feel cheaply made. I like the rubberized feel to the top of the laptop. It makes it easier to grip while carrying.  The other ones that had the sleek tops felt slippery to me.  I also liked the fact that the larger battery came with the laptop standard! The battery lasts quite a long time before it needs to be charged.Because I was going to Windows 7 from Windows XP, it did take some time to familiarize myself with the operating system.  They changed it quite a bit from XP.  But that's the operating system and not the computer.Definitely well worth the money I paid and great quality. It's super fast and starts up lighting fast! Plays movies great!  With 500gb of space, I have plenty of space for music, movies and programs!

Dell Studio 1558 is a nice user friendly laptop

from Nashville, TN

Comments about Dell (1558) Notebook PC:

Dell Studio 1558 is a nice lightweight user friendly laptop. It is easy to get up and running especially with Windows 7 on it. It appears to be a very smooth running machine without a lot of glitches in it. It has good speed and good storage. This particular laptop is the best laptop I personally have used so far.

My Dell Studio 15

from Bradenton, FL

Comments about Dell (1558) Notebook PC:

This is my first laptop and I am thrilled that I chose the Dell Studio 15 series. I am learning ASL so it is very important to me that I have a laptop that has excellent video quality. The Studio does not disappoint. I am not a computer wizard but I find the Dell Studio easy to navigate around. I bought my laptop in July so far I am thrilled on the many different capabilities that the Studio can do. I am used to the desktop so not having a mouse takes a little getting used to. I am also delighted in that by buying this from Dell, I can make affordable monthly payments as well. I am sold on Dell products.

Very easy to use, for those of you who are not comfortable using the pad to navigate, you can plug in a usb mouse and you're ready to go.

Battery Life
    This is my first laptop so I really don't know what to say about battery life. The battery lasts for about 4hours before it needs to be charged up. From what my friends tell me, this is very good.

Support & Service
    I have yet to use the support & service aspect of my Dell. This is a great laptop!

Speed/Performance
    I have Windows 7 installed and it suites me just fine. I have not had any problems.

You have the option of custom designing your Dell, but along with that comes the added price as well. I am not too concerned about the design as I am about the functionality of the product.

I haven't dropped it on the floor, so I cannot comment about that.

• Speed/Performance:

Disappointing for the amount spent

from Irvine, CA

Comments about Dell (1558) Notebook PC:

Look at all other options. The battery (even though it didn't charge well) gets hot. Computer processor runs randomly and is loud. Computer won't stay in hibernate, even if I close the top. Turns on randomly and then gets really hot. So, I have to turn it all the way off to transport it in any sort of bag, even it it's only a few minutes away.

Battery Life
    Ordered the 9-cell battery for longer life. It never held a charge for more than 2.5 hours. Couldn't even watch a whole movie. At exactly one year, I received a message that my battery would no longer hold a charge, that I would need to replace it. Battery is not covered under extended warranty because it is a consumable or something like that.

The larger battery actually lifts the back of the computer, so the keyboard is angled up. not the best for your wrists, not ergonomically the best. No indication of this when I purchased the laptop.

dell studio 15 laptop is the best ive ever seen or have owned

from Bacliff, TX

Comments about Dell (1558) Notebook PC:

dell studio is a great product my whole family uses it .just swipe you finger and your in no more typing in pass codes also built in camera for convinet picture uploding.vista operating system so fast and built in wi-fi for when your on the go and away from home.