Other Misc. Kitchen Items:

Contigo Autoseal Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler

Pros

Cons

Good Travel mug

I purchased my Contigo travel mug a few weeks ago on the suggestion of my sister.  First, for the positive- I love the fact that it does not spill.  You can hold it upside down and shake it and as long as you put the lid on correctly; it will not spill- this is a must when kids are around.  While it does keep coffee hotter than my old mug, it does not keep it warm for four hours.  My sister's seems to keep beverages warm longer; so I'm not sure if this is a gamble you take with this cup.  Either way, who makes a cup of coffee and doesn't drink it for four hours?

To drink from the cup, there's a little button on the top of the cup you press while pouring into your mouth.  I thought this would be awkward and annoying, but it is not.  I got use to it right away, you just have to make sure you press it before the cup is actually at your mouth to release the pressure built up in the cup.

The cup is made of stainless steel and has a nice weight to it.  The lid is plastic and has some unique crevices to clean.  I try to rinse the cup and lid out every day and do not put them back together 'til I'm ready to use them.  This seems to keep it clean.

Bad plastic taste, ruined product

I used to own a Contigo Mug before, it was great and someone stole it. I waited for some time until the new version came out and bought a set of two at COSTCO. A big disappointment. It makes my coffee or hot tea have a taste of plastic, more like auto tire rubber, this leeches into any hot liquid you put into this mug. Cold liquids do not seem to release the odor or taste.
I wrote to Contigo and a representative called me back, told me to buy another set and try it. Returned the first set, and the second set was just as bad. Soaked the lids in baking soda and vinegar for a couple of days and after a good rinse and wash, the taste and odor were still there.
Contigo, if these reviews get to your production managers, just tell them that they really blew this. The mugs were made in China and the quality control was not carried out to coffee lovers standards. I am sad to see a good product turn into a very disappointing health hazard.
If you find the same or similar problem with this product, contact Contigo, write to them, call them and complain. The woman I spoke there still believes that I was wrong.

Your own assistant in your success

Generally contigo Autoseal Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler is
16-ounce stainless steel travel tumber in green for both cold and hot beverages
Patented AUTOSEAL lid automatically seals between sips to ensure no spills
Vacuum-insulated technology keeps beverages hot for 4 hours, and cold for 12 hours
Contoured body makes this travel mug easy to hold; fits most standard car cupholders
Hand washing recommended; lid is dishwasher safe
To me :
I have used this Contigo Coffee mug for over a year and a half. I love it because it is the only travel mug that does not spill or leak AND it keeps my coffee warm.
However, as other reviewers pointed out, cleaning is an issue. It is easy to clean if you have the correct tools, but if you don't have the correct tools and make the mistake of thinking you are cleaning it by just washing the lid, you will be negatively surprised one day when a chunk of old coffee finds its way into your drink. It is repulsive; I am not going to lie. However, this is the only mug that does what I need, so I have no armed myself with tools to properly clean the lid.
I have one small bottle scrub brush and I have a miniscule brush cleaner which is used for cleaning out the tips of icing bags for cake decorators.
Every day after I enjoy my coffee at work, I immediately rinse the lid out under hot water, and then I let it sit on my desk to air dry (so no mold grows). When I get home at night, I wash the lid with soap and water as normal, and then I take these the two brushes I mentioned above to clean out the crevices, sticking the tiny brush through the drink hole (where a lot of coffee collects) and all the tiny parts, and the larger brush to get into the mechanism in the top of the lid, where coffee also collects. I am always amazed at what I will find. My husband is amazed that I still use the travel mug at all, but I am now confident that I am getting it clean. It takes me 2 minutes.
It is a lot of extra effort, but so is cleaning coffee out of my bag everyday, which use to be my routine. If you can't commit to cleaning the lid, then I wouldn't recommend this product because you will end up with chunks of old coffee in your mug, or worse in your mouth. Also, I have another coffee mug, OXO Good Grips LiquiSeal Travel Mug (also sold on Amazon). This travel mug also doesn't spill, but you can't get to mechanism to clean it. After cleaning my Contigo daily, I cringe to think what is hiding in my OXO coffee lid that I just can't see.

The benefit of the Contingo is that it does exactly what it says it will (not spill and keep your drinks warm) AND it allows you clean it. Getting all my coffee to work, and still drinkable, I am willing to take on the extra challenge of cleaning the lid thoroughly.

Best tumbler ever!

from IN

Comments about Contigo Autoseal Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler:

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict...I love my coffee, everyday, many cupfuls! I have had the Contigo Auto seal Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler for over a year now. I have used this mug daily, I mean every day without fail. It has been dropped, kicked, tossed, survived sitting outside in beating down sun, as well being dropped in a snow bank! This mug is reliable, it still seals as well as the day I go it. It has been used and washed repeatedly, yet the seal never gives out. It doesn't leak, I test it regularly, it can be turned upside down and not a drop escapes. The coffee stays hot for hours. I work in a school, so I am sipping the same cup for an hour at a time before refills, and the Contigo insulated tumbler keeps it hot and fresh. The only problem I have encountered are cosmetic, after sever drops on the concrete, I am an overachiever and try to get it all in one trip, the paint on a few spots has scraped off, showing bare metal. There is no flaking, no rough spot, just metal showing through. This tumbler is worth every penny, I will never buy another brand!

Best thing ever!

Comments about Contigo Autoseal Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler:

I drink coffee like it's my job, so when I received this as a Christmas gift from my boyfriend, I was more than excited! First off, it's a thermos so it keeps my coffee warm, or cold for long periods of time! Second off, it really does seal completely! I can toss my tumbler in the air and it won't spill! I can put the tumbler in between my legs or on my lap and leave it there without it spilling! Also, it doesn't break when you drop it. I 100% recommend this to anyone. It's the best gift I've ever gotten!

This thing is amazing.

Comments about Contigo Autoseal Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler:

I love my contigo!!! I take it with me everywhere!!! It has never leaked or spilled after a year of use between the car and class. It fits in the car's cupholder so I don't have to hold it while I drive like other mugs. I can keep it in the mesh side pocket of my backpack and don't even have to hold it while I walk to class because there is no way the autoseal lid will open. It keeps my coffee hot through long lectures or late nights at the library so I don't have to spend money on coffee on campus. For regular coffee drinkers, you will definitely get your money's worth out of this product. I have tried buying cheaper brands and they either leak, spill, or don't keep my drink hot. This is a worthy investment. I usually leave the lid off for a minute after pouring the coffee out of the pot so that it will stay at drinking temperature once I put it on, then I can sip on it for a long time and it won't ever be cold.

Very convenient autoseal

Comments about Contigo Autoseal Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler:

Keeps hot drinks hot for a very long time. The autoseal makes it very convenient for in-the-go in the morning. Cleaning the small tumbler size was a concern of mine, but buy a baby bottle cleaner and it will work fine. They come in many pretty colors as well.

Perfect for no spill on the go

Comments about Contigo Autoseal Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler:

I searched long and hard to find the perfect travel cup for me. The Contigo AutoSeal Insulated Tumbler is it! It keeps my tea/water cold and tasty most of the day (I don't use ice cubes). There is no after taste from the container. The top doesn't leak like a lot of travel cups do. It is easy to drink from with just one hand (a must with two little kids). But, it is not easy for my two little kids to dump out (a necessity!) They haven't figured out that you have to push the button to open the valve. This has kept many drinks from being spilled. So not only do I use this while on the go, but I also use it in my livingroom to prevent spills for my drink. I also use it at work so that when my clumsy self knocks it over, it doesn't ruin all the papers on my desk! It is easy to clean. The bottom is dishwasher safe. The top just needs soapy water run through the valve to clean it. To fill, just unscrew the top and fill. Also, it fits perfect in the cup holder in my car.

Awesome travel mugs!

from Reynoldsburg, OH

Comments about Contigo Autoseal Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler:

I love these things! They keep my coffee hot, hot, hot for long periods of time. I like this kind of Contigo mugs because you have to push the button to get the liquid to come out and you can't forget to close it and have it spill all over in your purse. Yeah, that's right. I can toss this mug into my purse and not worry much about it spilling. Okay, so I have to be mindful that it is facing upward, but I have carried them in bookbags, purses, etc and they have not soaked my stuff (as of yet). My only gripe is that it is a little difficult to get clean. I sometimes find that gunk gets stuck inside/in the mouth that is difficult to get fully clean. Aside from that, this mug is the best coffee mug I've ever had and well worth its seemingly expensive price. My coffee stays hot for at least 5 hours, I no longer spill coffee on myself, and they are very sturdy. I left one on top of my car and it hit the concrete as I drove away. It did dent my car a nip and the mug was a bit dinged but it was still functional and the coffee stays warm still.

Favorite Coffee Mug

Comments about Contigo Autoseal Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler:

Love, love, love this mug! Gave it to my husband for Christmas and ended up keeping it for myself. Has a tight seal on it which makes it completely spill-proof. So much easier to tuck under my arm when carrying loads of things to and from the car and keeping track of kids at the same time. I can throw the cup on the floor in the van and not worry about liquid seeping out. Beverages stay hot for hours! Only complaint is the difficutly in cleaning the lid. Tried poking a small scrub brush in one lid and broke the spring that makes it spill proof. I consider that user error though and not a defect from the manufacturer. Contigo even sells replacement lids or bases on their website!

Spill proof tumbler

from Austin, TX

Comments about Contigo Autoseal Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler:

I love the Contigo autoseal tumbler. It keeps beverages hot or cold for hours. I can fill it with coffee in the morning and throw it in my purse or lunch bag without spilling one drop. Before I purchased the Contigo tumbler, I tried several other brands of travel tumblers. I never would attempt to place any of the other brands in my purse because I knew they would leak and leave a mess. I also experienced coffee spilling if the tumbler was knocked over by accident. I will never go back to using any other tumbler since I discovered the Contigo tumbler.

A spill-proof, insulated coffee travel mug that actually works

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Contigo Autoseal Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler:

Wonderful product design! This travel mug is spill-proof thanks to a vacuum-sealed, easy-to-use button that you press to open the sip spout. Because it's air-tight, it keeps coffee and other beverages warmer for much, much longer than cheaper commodity mugs. It's kind of space age-looking and comes in various colors. What's not to love?