View more laptops

Compaq Presario CQ62 Notebook PC

Pros

Cons

• Speed/Performance:

The Presario CQ62 and me.....

(I tried to post this as a comment to "baprivett"s review but couldn't seem to make the comment thing work)

Right. I understand. Here's what I've learned about tech...Read complete review

Right. I understand. Here's what I've learned about tech support people. They are NOT all created equal, nor are they all at the same stage of knowledge and competence.

Overall (having utilized tech support quite a bit during my first days of ownership of Presario CQ62 this November) I'm finding about 90-95% of them to be eager (even if feigned) to help me as well as eventually being able to help me. Sometimes it turns out to be a three-way conversation with a supervisor being the silent off-mic third partner.

Once I had a full blown obviously unknowledgable frustrated to the point of beligerence tech person who kept me on line over an hour (with almost 2/3rds of the call having him off line with supervisor) trying to prove to me the pc did not have FAX capability. I had turned over control of my pc to him. I finally figured out this person was the wrong person for the position. I tried getting his attention but he would not respond and since his mic was silent and my pointer was searching Presario CQ62 FAX I knew he and his supervisor were trying to figure out what they were never going to figure out. Since he would not respond I terminated the internet connection (got his attention then and he kept flashing for me to come back), and turned off my computer, disconnecting the plug from the socket and everything.

I immediately called the other tech support number, where I got a tech person who guided me through FAX setup in four minutes and the call ended in six.

As I said I used them a lot during the first days of ownership in November.

I found five out of ten of them to be knowledgeable, competent, patient and pleasant. When ending the support calls with those workers I request their supervisor get on the line so I could be sure the support person would be commended on record.

I found another two out of 10 to be pleasant and at reasonable stages of knowledge, meaning if they didn't know they would say so, would ask my tolerence while they went to a supervisor, came back and gave the information needed to complete the task about which I had made the call. This might happen several to many times during the call. But in the end they had been pleasant and they got the job done.

A remaining two of 10 of them were obviously new, nervous (trying to cover nervousness), working with varying degrees of competent supervisors, taking waaaay too long but definitely trying. (One of them was so obviously new that I thanked him for his help, explaining though that I was going to disconnect from him to call back and get someone else. He was soooo discouraged.)

Then there was that one tech I mentioned who was beligerent, rude, incompetent, who conveyed his distain for me at every turn and who obviously had a rather incompetent supervisor, and whom I told to 'shove it'.

Now then, I had a similar problem connecting to the Internet (or staying connected, and freeze up of computer) as you seem to experience. I got a real good tech person on that one and my problem was quickly fixed. It seems that sometimes a pc will stop recognizing the modem or some such thing. Here's what the tech directed me to do that ended my problem. (I wrote it down in case it ever happened again) She called it a HARD RESET.

1. completely disconnect allllllllll chords from the computer and remove the battery. Unplug evvvvvverything!2. press the 'on' button for 30 seconds. (We counted them out too. 30 seconds.)3. reconnect the power chord.4. press 'on' and immediately tap F10 when the compact logo appears.5. when the page appears pres F96. click 'yes'7. press F108. click 'yes'9. then restart the computer

I hope this fixes your problem too.

I have twice inadvertantly tapped the mouse pad turn off area which made me think my computer had frozen. I've now learned to look for that little orange light on the mouse pad when this happens. I tap the little light until it goes away and have not had the illusion the computer has frozen again.

I keep copious notes about every tech support call. I now have no problem saying a nice goodbye to a tech who is not working out for me, and then immediately calling again to get someone else. They are NOT all created equal.

Here are the two tech support numbers I use:1-800-474-68361-800-652-6676

I hope my experiences here have given you support and maybe even answers. I find I'm adapting well to my Presario CQ62 now. I've adapted to the black keys, my hands have begun retraining to the pc keyboard, and I now know the different ways to get effective tech support. There still are included programs and software that is taking effort to learn the ins-and-outs of. And I have begun to settle into a satisfying relationship with this pc.

Compaq 15.6" Presario CQ62-215DX Notebook PC is back to basics.

Compaq 15.6" Presario CQ62-215DX 2GB 250GB Laptop Notebook PC is very reasonably priced.  It looks great, it is pretty fast, and is very quiet. It has got everything for someone who just needs a laptop for browsing the internet and using word processor. The laptop has no camera but it has a built-in microphone.  It is black so you will see every piece of dust on it,the keyboard is odd because the keys are too low, and too close to each other, making it hard to type. The mousepad is probably the worst feature.  It takes an extreme amount of energy to press the mouse key, so I felt more comfortable buying a proper external mouse.  There are no separate keys for adjusting the volume.  This computer does not come with enough ram to run the operating system properly. On the plus side, memory expandable to 8gb is wonderful.  I am disapointed in Windows 7. It is not at all what I am use to and harder to find things. I wish it really had a duel core processor or something to make it run faster.

Fairly easy to use.

Battery Life
Poor battery life.

Support & Service
I haven't really needed support or service.

Speed/Performance
It's just okay

The design is okay.

Very durable.

Amazing Laptop!!!!

Comments about Compaq Presario CQ62 Notebook PC:

I bought this laptop at the beginning of my freshman year and now it is my junior year and it has held up all this time. I love how durable it is, I have dropped it and it still worked. I use it pretty constantly and battery life is not too bad. It is easy to connect to wireless networks and easy to use when you do not have much knowledge of computers to begin with.

• Speed/Performance:

Compaq 15.6" Presario CQ62-215DX Notebook PC is back to basics.

from Apollo Beach, FL

Fairly easy to use.

Battery Life
Poor battery life.

Support & Service
I haven't really needed support or service.

Speed/Performance
It's just okay

The design is okay.

Very durable.

sad story

from Houston, TX

Comments about Compaq Presario CQ62 Notebook PC:

Don't buy it... it was great computer and affordable but after 1 year the hard drive is dead...... sad story... i called hp (compaq) because after 1 year of home use nobody think that it gonna crash but it did.

screwed up!!!

• Speed/Performance:

This Compaq Notebook is great, still hasn't broken!

from Stockton, CA

Comments about Compaq Presario CQ62 Notebook PC:

This notebook was really great.  I use it all the time, and it never breaks.  The only bad thing is that the battery is not the best.  If I would like to use it without the computer plugged it, it has to be for a maximum of 10 mins.  Other wise, the computer dies.  This happens often.  Also, once it was shut down accidentally and the whole computer had to be rebooted.  All of the information on the computer was lost and luckily saved before hand.  The touch pad is very sensitive, and takes some getting used to.  You can always lock it, so it is not a problem.  One of the best features is that this computer is fast and very nice.  It has a large screen and is very clear.  Watch out though, this computer can get very hot, so it is uncomfortable to put on your lap.  If you don't treat this computer right, it does freeze a lot.  So watch out for that.  This is a really great computer!  Enjoy

Great laptop!

from Concord, NH

Comments about Compaq Presario CQ62 Notebook PC:

I am very happy with my laptop purchase! I chose this laptop for some of the simple features that it has that others in it's price range do not have.

My favorite feature is the ability to turn on and off the touchpad, it's as simple as double tapping the corner of the touchpad. I use a wireless mouse with my laptop, but I often rest my hands on the touchpad when I'm typing. This usually causes me a lot of problems because as I type the mouse pointer is moving on the screen and if I'm not careful I end up clicking things... so being able to turn the touchpad off easily is a big bonus for me.

I also love the one-touch buttons for the calculator, print, powerDVD, and email. It's much more convenient than having to go look through program lists to get to what you want. We paid much more for our other laptop and the convenience features of this one are a much better deal because we don't even notice a difference in the performance between the two laptops.

Anyone looking for an inexpensive laptop will find themselves very happy with this product! We didn't have much expectation of it based on the price we paid, but it has proven to be our best value of the year.

The compaq Presario CQ62 is good for first laptop

from Broadway, VA

Comments about Compaq Presario CQ62 Notebook PC:

I have never owned a laptop before and this is my first one. If you need a laptop and dont want to spend a lot of money on one yet until you get familiar with one and then know what you would want in a laptop the compaq persio would be a good one to get. The only thing that I dont like about it is the battery. It has a 6 cell battery. It doesnt stay charged long at all! If you are planning on traveling with your laptop a lot and cant be near a place to plug it in, then dont get this lap top. Im trying to find out if I can get another battery that lasts longer for this laptop. I didnt have the money to buy a more expensive laptop though so I had to get this. You can get a webcam. It already has software. It talked like some of them already have built in webcams. That was confusing. It has windows 7 installed. I like it for a first laptop.

Compaq Presario PC could be better.

from Tampa, FL

Comments about Compaq Presario CQ62 Notebook PC:

I got this laptop after my first one broke. I was searching around, essentially for the lowest price. I did not really want a netbook because they are too small and have no CD/DVD drive. I found that this one had the lowest price, but all the things that I needed. It worked well at first. The keyboard and mousepad could be improved upon, because there is a column of buttons for email and calculator and stuff on the left side, which has screwed up my typing at times. Also the mousepad has zoom and scroll abilities that I wish it did not, since there is no clear distinction where they are. Also the clicker should be two parts, not one. The screen works fine and is big enough. The battery also last long enough and I have no complaints about it. But the computer is sometimes slow, and some programs (like Mozilla and Open Office) stop responding when the computer is woken up. Also, Windows Media Center frequently skips and stops working. Other than the sometimes slowness and sometimes program crashes, the computer works well enough. If someone is not looking to spend a lot of money, then this laptop would suffice. Otherwise, I would look at other computers.

Compaq cq62, better than the old, could use a bit more

from Mechanicsville, VA

Comments about Compaq Presario CQ62 Notebook PC:

I have owned this laptop for almost a year now, and thus far it hadn't crashed once. the battery life is good, and the screen is much bigger than my old laptop, a toshiba satellite L25. the mousepad is a bit awkward at first, but once you learn where the edges are, it gets much easier. my only real complaint is how the contrast settings on the screen are set- whites end up very washed out and it's hard to find the menu to change it.

Compaq Presario great for daughter

from Largo, FL

Comments about Compaq Presario CQ62 Notebook PC:

When my 11 yr old daughters laptop died I was looking for one for her use. I didnt need all the bells and whistles but with this computer it had everything she needed and more. She uses it for school and for playing games online. The only thing i have a complaint about it the battery gets pretty hot after her longterm use. I bought a targus cooler and it does cool it down. I think the way her other one died was because she didnt make sure to keep the vents available to cool. I played on it before i got my laptop and it did everything i needed it to do. I bought it as a refurbished and have not had any problems so far. It has a 90 day warranty being refurbished but it was just like new when we opened it up. We had it online in minutes and ready to go. Oh and I didnt want to forget to say something about the touchpad... there is no start and stop...so you really dont know if you are on the touchpad since it has no edges. The one way you can tell are the left and right click buttons. I found it strange to use but my daughter has no problems with it..

Compaq has been good for money.

from Highland, UT

Comments about Compaq Presario CQ62 Notebook PC:

I purchased this laptop for my schooling, and have been fairly happy with it since I've had it, although I've had a few issues with it. The screen isn't super high quality, and I've quickly noticed that photos displayed on my wifes laptop screen typically look much better than ones displayed on my own screen. Because I mostly use my laptop for word processing I really don't mind much. The other issue I've had is with the charger that came with the laptop. I guess a wire came disconnected on the end of the cord once, and so while it was still under warantee (only about six months after I got it), I got a new one. The problem was another six months later and the same thing happened again! This time the warantee was expired, so there was really nothing I could do about it, and I had to try and fix the cord on my own. Now I have a cord that is held together by hot glue and electric tape, which can be kind of annoying. Also the battery holds 0 charge. Decent for what I paid for it though.