View more laptops

Asus Eee Netbook

Pros

Cons

The ASUS Eee 1000HE is compact, durable, and reasonably powerful

I am the type of person who, although technologically literate, does not enjoy the seemingly endless string of upgrades and novelties that render our computers obsolete within a few short months of purchase.  I gravitate towards electronics which are capable, durable, and most importantly posses a long lifespan.  My last computer was purchased in 2003, and has served me faithfully until this year.  Unfortunately, it began to show its age when performing mundane tasks such as web browsing, so I decided it was time for a replacement.

I had been hearing of netbooks for a while, seeing the tiny computers on campus and in coffee shops.  I was intrigued by their portability and wondered if they could act as a viable replacement for my aging laptop.  After a fair amount of research, which included making use of a netbook from a competing company, I decided that the Eee 1000HE had the features and durability I required in my primary computing device.

The portability is, as expected, extremely convenient.  The 1000HE is small and lightweight, with dimensions smaller than a standard textbook.  It fits easily into my smallest backpack, something my rather beastly laptop could not do.  When closed, the 1000HE fits easily in hand and can be carried in much the same manner as a book.  I highly recommend purchasing a netbook sleeve, as it will provide extra shock absorption and some liquid protection for the device (accidents do happen, especially if you carry a water bottle in your backpack).

Performance is very impressive for a computer obviously designed with portability, compactness, and low heat output in mind.  There are 3 built-in power settings (Battery-Saving, High-Performance, and Super-Performance) which have drastic effects on both battery life and speed.  On Battery-Saving mode basic activities such as web-browsing and listening to music can be performed, but the system will slow significantly when attempting to multi-task or view high-quality video.  In this mode the battery will last approximately 6-9 hours depending on other factors (screen brightness, CPU load, etc).  In Super-Performance mode I am able to watch videos with little to no processor lag, and even play simple 3D games such as Rome: Total War (albeit with the settings turned to their least graphics-intensive).  As expected, High-Performance falls between these two settings and is what your power setting will default to if you choose to have the computer automatically recognize when it has been plugged in.  The device is not, however, suitable for high-performance tasks such as power gaming or graphics design.  In all modes I have noticed that heat output is respectably low; the device has never become uncomfortable to have on my lap.

The 1000HE comes with 1 gigabyte of RAM, but can be upgraded to 2.  It should be noted that there is only one RAM slot on the machine.  This means you will have to swap the 1 gigabyte stick for a 2 gigabyte stick.  So far I have not needed to upgrade the RAM, but it is nice to have the option available.

The keyboard is extremely comfortable to type on, with all buttons being intuitively spaced and assigned.  The function keys are conveniently demarcated in blue and simple to access even when the keyboard is not visible (once you've gotten used to where they are, of course).  A well-designed keyboard is an extremely important feature as other netbooks I have tested have had awful layouts, which makes them very unpleasant to work on.

ASUS designed their touchpad in excellent conjunction with the keyboard, causing very few accidental movements of the mouse during typing.  One minor complaint regarding the touchpad is that it sometimes selects sections of text when all I wished to do was move the mouse.  This is a minor annoyance, but unfortunately cannot be changed in the touchpad settings.

Peripheral tools include a webcam, which at 1.3 megapixels functions very well for Skype and Windows Movie Maker, and a dual-input microphone offering excellent coverage and echo cancellation.  The speakers are particularly clever, placed at the front and designed so that the sound waves will angle off whatever surface the netbook is resting on.  This means that audio quality will vary greatly depending on the surface, loud and crisp on a glass table and rather muted on carpet.  This also has the added benefit of preventing the speakers from interfering with the microphone.

There are three USB slots, two on the right and one on the left, a memory card slot, an ethernet port, monitor output, Kensington lock port, 1/8" headphone jack, and 1/8" microphone jack.

It is notable that the Eee 1000HE does not have a built in CD drive, but as I am not aware of any netbooks which come with one this is not something which should be held against this particular model.  If you truly need an onboard CD drive (as opposed to an external USB drive) then you should reconsider purchasing a netbook.

Overall, this is an excellent machine.  It has easily replaced my older system and currently acts as my primary computer.  I watch videos, check email and Facebook, listen to music, play basic games, and utilize Skype and other VOIP programs with few difficulties.  I can take it out with me for the day, and even if I wind up using it for several hours on end I have not yet managed to exhaust the battery entirely.  It boots up quickly, is very responsive, and does not come packaged with a host of extraneous programs begging to be uninstalled.  It is portable and comfortable to use.  As I have had no significant issues with the device during these several months I cannot speak to ASUS' customer support, but I have heard from various sources that they are quite helpful.

I highly recommend the ASUS Eee PC 1000HE as a secondary device, or as a primary for someone who does not need an excessive amount of computing power.

an ok netbook

i got this asus netbook with the intent of using it during travel and also to have by my bedside. mostly, i'd use it to check internet and copy files from my camera,...Read complete review

i got this asus netbook with the intent of using it during travel and also to have by my bedside. mostly, i'd use it to check internet and copy files from my camera, etc when needed.

for the most part it has performed as well as expected. however i've had to return it once due to hard drive failure. lucky for me it was still under warranty so i got a new/fixed one. i haven't had any problems since.

my major complaint is maybe something i should have known going in, and that is the speed is not quite as good as i expected. i assumed the netbook could run anything off the internet without any problems but that is not the case. watching videos on youtube, for example, slows the system down quite a bit, to the point that it is not possible to multitask. basically it feels like you are using a slower computer, which i guess it is.

in addition i find the screen size a bit too small. maybe i'm just used to the larger laptops nowadays or the dual monitor desktops, but the screen resolution for the netbook is very small, and some webpages are very cramped on the screen.

on the plus side, the portability has been great and the size makes it easy to travel with. the battery (i got the model with the bigger one) lasts very long too.

given the choice i probably wouldn't get this model again but look for an older laptop with similar specs and larger screen. but that's just me.

I love my Asus Eee PC Netbook.

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Asus Eee Netbook:

I got my Asus Eee PC back in September 2010 and am really liking it so far.  I received it as a gift for my birthday.  I was having problems with my desktop and do not have a laptop so geting this netbook was fabulous news for me.  At first I was a little put off by the size of the screen and then when I found out there was no CD/DVD drive.  I soon came to be okay with it.

I have not really gotten back on my desktop since I have had this.  I remote connect to my desktop through my netbook and am able to do pretty much anything I need to do from it.  The main two things I do not like about it though is that when you fullscreen for videos or games (like on Facebook) it really laggs and is extremely choppy and not smooth.

I think I am able to do more things connected remotely since my desktop (Windows XP) can multi task easier, I use it to do more things at once.  I still cannot do the games and videos though from the netbook.  If I need to access a disk, I pop it in my desktop, connect remotely then access the disk while on the Netbook.  As well as being able to access my external hard drive.  ANything I can do on my desktop pretty much, I can do remotely from my Netbook.

If and when I get some more money I will be investing in a laptop but still use my Netbook for taking it with me places and just use the laptop for portable around-the-house movement.

Overall though - I have to say this Asus Eee PC is a great investment for basic internet and email.  If you are wanting to multi task, you can connect remotely, it is great for that.  Also for being extremely portable, light wieght.

Good Overall

Comments about Asus Eee Netbook:

I have had a couple of "blue screen of death" moments, but they were easily remedied and overall this computer has performed very well. The battery life claimed actually meets the battery life in reality. I like the sleek design and the weight makes it easy to cart around. Good product.

Asus EEE 1000HE is a great portable netbook

from New York, NY

Comments about Asus Eee Netbook:

I bought the Asus EEE 1000 HE netbook in blue and I absolutely love it!  The color is a shimmery, glittery navy blue, but if it is in dim light, it actually looks black because it is such a dark shade of blue.  The only negative to the casing is that it shows so many fingerprints and smudges, which does get kind of annoying!  The keyboard is supposedly 92% of the size of a normal keyboard.  I will admit that I have smaller than average hands, but with that said, I have not had any trouble typing on it.  I sit with the netbook in my lap on my couch and I spend every evening typing online to friends at the same speed I used to type on my full-sized laptop keyboard.  The screen is 10 inches widescreen, and it is just about big enough to view everything I would want to see on the screen.  I have watched a few movies on it without a problem, but there is the occational website that would work better if the screen were bigger.  Overall, it is an excellent netbook that I would recommend to anyone looking for a portable computer!

EXCELLENT PRODUCT!!

from Dayton, NJ

Comments about Asus Eee Netbook:

This review is for: ASUS Eee PC 1000H 10-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, XP Home) Sakura Pink (Personal Computers)I bought this from ZipZoomFly, but decided to rate it here because it's the first place I always look to for reviews.

the product is excellent, and as i am typing on it right now, the only thing that TRULY bothers me, is the shift key..its original location on other laptops and pcs are what my fingers are use to, but on here lies the page up button...it is one thing my fingers have not gotten use to, hence the lack of capitalization in my review.PRO --the color is super cute, great for females...the cover is sleek and rose colored, embedded on the cover are laser drawn flowers..these flowers continue onto the wrist hold and mouse area.CON-- webcam is great, but has there is no software in the computer to use it with. u can only use the webcam through different websites that allow webcam options, such as skype. but u cant take pics and vids and save them to files on the comp,...this can be done after purchasing seperate software.PRO--it comes with xp microsoft works software and star office software. it is also preloaded with skype and media player, adobe player, nd eee storage.I think its a super product...i had an acer before, but upon its arrival, it was defective...so i returned it. but im almost glad it was defective, becaue i could not get use to the small 8.9 inch size...i could hardly put it on my lap nd be comfortable with it. also, the keys were very tight. i think the asus is a much better product...i cant put mine down!

This thing has dropped countless times on marble flooring and has held up surprisingly well!

If your a techie, or have lots of patience don't use ASUS Eee PC

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Asus Eee Netbook:

My Eee PC 1000H has issues.  The clock will not keep time and my power source battery only keeps my computer powered for an hour. Not at all like the 6 - 8  hour promised. I have gone to the website and it is very overwhelming.  I have not tried to call tech support but I get the feeling it is only going to lead to further frustration.

If you decide to purchase this Netbook, keep keep your receipt .

Computer for the handbag.

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Asus Eee Netbook:

What can you day about the worls greatest micro laptop? It is wonderful. It is easy. Best of all, it can fit into a medium sized allowing complete freedom from home  and office. I've used mine in all of the usual places: cafes, libraries, restaurants but I've also used it in the park, at an ice rink, and in the middle of a train station when the board was out of service. The last was the best use, I think, since I could stand with it in one hand, type in my info with the other without the bother of having to find a surface to set on.

The eee is easy to use right out of the box, always a good thing. The instructions are well written, always a plus, since most people are reluctant to read instructions to begin with and when they are incomprehensible, everyone ignores them. The screen is bright and is easy to read in nearly all light levels. The compact keyboard does take a little getting used to but will not be a real problem for any except people with really big hands. It comes prepoaded with a word processor, scheduler, calender, games and other software basics. A fine product all-in- all. Available in a wide variety of colours.

The Asus EeePC Netbook was a good purchase

from Commerce, GA

Comments about Asus Eee Netbook:

I'm using my **ASUS Eee PC 1GB Netbook** to write this very review. I've had it for a little over a year now, and thankfully it's working just fine. I had to send it in for repairs after I dropped it and damaged the screen, and tech support was very helpful and timely (though I did notice that my microphone wasn't working properly after the screen repair). I'm loyal to Compaq/HP and IBM, but I can say I am pleased that my initial skepticism towards the (ASUS) brand was unnessary.

The main reason for purchasing a netbook was because my laptop broke and I needed a replacement right away, but my budget was limited. Netbooks are slightly less costly than laptops, so after debating the choice for too long, I finally made up my mind to go with the netbook.

If you do a lot of moving around and you're looking for something light to carry then this netbook is a good choice. I've carried it in my tote, bookbag, and baby bag respectively. I use it to compile Word documents, check e-mail, light web-surfing, IM, etc. It's obviously not for heavy work, like downloading and storing large files, music and picutes. If you just need a good back-up or you're not a big PC user, it's great. The **Eee PC** has a good battery life as well.

A few negatives are that netbooks do not come with a CD/DVD drive, as they are so small, but the **Eee PC** has several USB ports, which I like about it. Also, it's hard to try to work in programs like PowerPoint or Publisher because the screen is so small. Even some web sites can be hard to navigate. All in all, however, my little netbook is pretty handy.

For the price, the computer bpacks a punch

from Austin, TX

Comments about Asus Eee Netbook:

The ASUS eee PC is a very nice netbook for a low price. The build quality is superior, and the keyboard size is quite nice. The webcam is of great quality, and the notebook is stylish and small. Although the PC runs on windows XP, it runs relatively fast. There is a nice amount of memory preinstalled in the computer, and the hard drive is generous at 160 GB, at least for a computer of its size. One complaint I have is the fact that there is no internal CD drive, but given the size, I can understand that. The battery life claims to be 6 hours, but I have found that 2 or 3 hours is more accurate, especially after years of use. I feel that this computer will hold up for a few more years of use, and I would most definitely advise others to buy this computer.

Great for taking notes at school.

from Vernon Hills, IL

Comments about Asus Eee Netbook:

I purchased this netbook a few years ago for taking notes my senior year of college. As a small, light device for notetaking the Asus 1000 was perfect. I was able to stash this in my bag without having to worry much about space or weight at all. The best part was definitely the battery, which allowed me to use the laptop for an entire day at school without charging. Even after 2 years the batter can still last up to 7 or 8 hours in between charges. As this is an older model now, there are much better options for the same price that offer better performance. As this model is missing some key features such as a CD drive, I would not recommend it as a user's sole computer. As a seperate, portable computer for a user with a desktop, the Asus netbooks are the perfect companion.

Decent!

from Seminole, FL

Comments about Asus Eee Netbook:

I bought my laptop to throw in my purse and go to school with. It's fairly durable...I haven't had any problems with it even thought I am fairly rough with it. The only downside is the size of the screen.