Other Desktops:

Apple iMac

Pros

Cons

Beautiful, Brawny, Blissful Computing Experience

The family computer (a six year old **Dell** desktop) refused to boot. **Microsoft Windows XP** decided to take a permanent holiday. My family was starting to grumble about the lack of a computer in our home. What was I to do?A year ago I started using a [**Apple MacBook Pro**][1] at work and had bid **Microsoft Windows** adieu. This seemed like the perfect moment to switch over to a Mac at home. I considered the **Apple Mac Mini** since I did have the screen, keyboard and mouse from the **Dell**, but evaluating what hardware (processor, video card, web cam, speakers, hard drive, RAM, etc.) you got with the iMac, I decided that it was actually a better deal to go with the iMac instead of the Mac Mini. In addition, the iMac is an all-in-one computer (screen, speakers, web cam, CPU, power supply, DVD drive, USB and Firewire ports all contained in the screen's housing) which made it more attractive than all of the cables associated with regular desktop computers (**Mac Mini** included in that company).I also explored the **Apple MacBook laptop** computer as an option, but again the iMac's hardware specs won the day. **20" or 24" iMac?**The only remaining choice was whether to go with the 20” or 24” iMac. At first I was leaning toward the 20” iMac, but after doing some research on the web, I came across numerous complaints with the 20” iMac's LCD screen. People were writing about the lack of color depth and washed out displays. This was a big concern for me as I am a graphics professional, so color fidelity ranks highly on my list of must haves. It was clear just from looking at the LCD specs on Apple's web site that the LCD panels were different in the 20” (160 degree horz. & vertical typical viewing angle) vs. the 24” (178 degree horz. & vertical typical viewing angle). To make a final determination, I took a trip to the local Apple store and did a side by side comparison of the two machines. The good thing about the set up of the demo machines in an Apple store is that they all contain the same catalog of photos in iPhoto. Thus running through a wide range of photos with a 20” iMac sitting next to a 24” iMac I could clearly see where the differences in the LCDs showed up (and yes I did try different color space settings along with brightness settings and viewing angles on both machines - by the end of my testing I had tried 6 different 20” & 24” iMacs in the store with the same set of photos). The results were unequivocal and consistent - the 20” iMac screen was washing out details in highlighted areas of photographs - especially noticeable in the yellows and blues. I didn't expect to find such a big difference between the two. In fact I'm surprised that Apple would release a product with such shortcomings. So I had my answer - the 24 inch iMac was the way to go. One other bonus with the 24 incher is that you can view 1080p HDTV at native resolution (without any down scaling - see my review of the Elgato eyeTV Hybrid if you're interested in watching HDTV on your Mac).**What to Order?**The options I chose when I ordered the** Apple 24 inch iMac** were the wired keyboard (there are two open USB ports on the wired keyboard along with a number keypad) and a wireless mouse (if you haven't tried a wireless mouse you owe it to yourself to do so!). Apple charges way too much for RAM upgrades and they are very easy to do on the iMac, so I suggest going with third party RAM suppliers such as those sold by www.otherworldcomputing.com. Max out the iMac with 4GB of RAM if you can - it's the best way to get the best performance out of any computer.Since the only thing that can easily be serviced by the user is the RAM in an iMac, consider purchasing AppleCare to extend your warranty coverage to 3 years.**Getting it up and Running**Once the iMac arrived, it was a sight to behold. Big - yet very slim. Only two wires connected to it - one for the power cord and the other the keyboard's USB cable. The out of box experience on a Mac is phenomenal. There are no color coded maps or charts instructing you how to assemble your new computer. Simply put it on your desk top and plug it in. Once you turn on the power you get a welcome animation on the screen, after the keyboard was plugged into a USB port on the back of the iMac, I was shown a graphic on the screen of how to insert batteries into my wireless mouse and turn it on. The mouse immediately connected. After that the iMac found my wireless network and asked for the password to connect to it. Once connected, it asked if I had an iTunes account - I did and it immediately retrieved all of my personal info from Apple and filled in the online registration form for my new iMac. I doesn't get much simpler than that. One other feature that makes upgrading a Mac very easy is the Migration Assistant utility. It will find other Macs on your network or connected directly to your new Mac via Firewire cable and transfer all of the applications and user data to your new Mac.**Using the 24 inch iMac**Well the screen is huge on the **24 inch Apple iMac** as you can imagine. Being a creative professional, I use programs with many toolbars and palettes, so having the extra screen real estate certainly doesn't hurt - in fact it makes my workflow more efficient. For your average home user the screen can be intimidating, but you soon get used to using your favorite word processor with the complete page you're working on displayed at actual size, or viewing your growing digital photo collection and seeing all of those details your 8 mega pixel camera is capturing.The **24 inch Apple iMac**'s screen is glass which makes it glossy. This is great for viewing photos as the perceived contrast is increased which makes the photos pop (most people like this punchiness). Also, since I am a father of three young kids, cleaning fingerprints off of a glass surface is better than a softer matte plastic screen found on most LCDs. My biggest concern with a glass screen were reflections. It turns out that that it is not really a problem at all. I have yet to find myself fighting my reflection to see what's being displayed on screen. That said, if I had a choice, I would still prefer a matte screen for the subtleness of colors displayed when doing graphics work.Speed wise, the iMac handles everything you throw at it with aplomb. The 2.4 GHz processor is very capable and as I mentioned earlier on, maxing out the RAM will help any computer operate at its peak capacity. The wired keyboard is newly redesigned with an extremely slim profile (see attached photo). At first, I didn't know if my wife, who's average typing speed is between 70-80 words per minute, would like the slimmer profile keys, but she has been raving about the new keyboard. According to her this is the best keyboard she's ever used. I like the keyboard as well, though I am far from a speed demon touch typist.In spite of the fact that the internal hardware of the iMac has evolved from Apple's laptop line, the hard drive is a 3.5” SATA 7200 RPM drive, so you can expect fast read write speeds and none of the lag that you may experience on a laptop which usually has a 5400 RPM drive. **Overall**The **Apple 24 inch iMac** is a great family computer. It doesn't take up a lot of space, there are almost no wires to be seen (see attached photo comparison with a Dell desktop) and it runs the best available operating system - Apple's OSX. Add to that the iLife suite of applications that include: **iTunes**, **iMovie**, **iPhoto** etc. and you have a everything to manage your media. Throw in built in speakers and a built in web cam and you end up with an unbeatable bundle for the price. Top it off with the great aesthetics and quality build of the iMac and you have a computing experience that is beautiful, brawny and blissful. Get an iMac for your family - you won't regret it.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Apple-MacBook-Pro--1022-review-0b80

Dont own anymore

Ok so yeah, my 5 year old daughter could figure out how to take pictures on the iMac, doesnt mean someone who grew up using a PC, would be able to figure everything out.  I bought under the influence of my cousin who just happens to work on them, with the understanding he would teach me the ins and outs of the iMac, didnt happen so i was left stranded!!!!  There are some good things about it, however for me, more bad than good.  I couldnt talk to my family online using web cams unless they up-graded, they werent compatible?  Needless to say I sold my iMac to build a new deck, and went back to a PC

Best Desktop I've Had

Comments about Apple iMac:

Super sleek design, crisp display, smooth interface--the iMac has a lot to offer and I love it!!

Coming from a long time Windows user, the new Apple interface is hard to catch on to, but once you catch the hang out if it, it is really great.

Hardware Quality
The quality is amazing. The computer runs quietly and fast and I can run it for hours and not have a problem with it slowing down or not being able to keep up with me.

Support & Service
I had a few problems getting it situated considered I've only had Windows for years. But the customer service was great in helping me get everything together and transition.

I actually dropped this thing when I was trying to set it up and not a scratch or dent was in it. It is a very solid unit.

The design is so sleek and classic. It look really nice on my computer desk and the screen is a very good size.

The computer runs very smoothly, and I haven't had anything crash or freeze on me yet!

Great desktop computer

Comments about Apple iMac:

Great and fast desktop computer for those who work at home and don't mind devoting space to a "computer desk." Graphics are great, processor is fast, and it has plenty of capability for tougher tasks. I can run online games with plenty of speed, and download any app I like from the App Store. Setup was easy and quick, and it also makes a great family computer with different users. I especially like the surplus of storage, accumulated photos and videos almost never need to be put in a different place.

One of the best parts of most mac computers is that setup is easy and quick, and can be done by anyone.

Hardware Quality
I have been using this computer for quite a while, and had no problems. Not even a funny sound.

Support & Service
Unsure; I have never had to call anyone or go to a website to find a problem.

Can be broken, so just keep it out of the way of things that could break it.

Sleek, and while it is big, easy enough to fit on a desk.

Very fast, install/run as many programs as you like.

• Support & Service:

Nice graphical Design, but could be better

Comments about Apple iMac:

Overall, I give this Mac a rating of 8 because though it has amazing rendering abilities, new users could have some trouble navigating it. Switching from a Windows PC to a Mac can be a huge difference for some people, so that is why I gave this PC a rating of 8.

As I've said before, if you're switching from any other operating system to the Mac software, it could be a huge difference and it takes some time to get used to. However, once you understand the basics, everything goes pretty smooth.

Hardware Quality
The outer shell of this computer is very high quality, and doesn't break easily. My son accidentally threw a hard plastic ball at it, and the computer didn't even have a scratch. The screen is easy to wash, as well as the case (Just spray some water on a cloth and wipe). However, as the PC starts booting up, the Mac gets hot, and when you touch the backside, it is kind of warm. If the case was more heat resistive, the hardware quality would be a 10.

Very durable! One of the most durable PC's I've ever tested. It is very stable, and when you place it down, it's hard to budge it (Which is what I like). The PC is basically a wall when it comes to the physical durability. For the software, I haven't got any crashes yet. I downloaded a program to test out it's CPU, and it started to warm up, bit the PC tanked the heat like a boss! Very nice computer, I suggest it for gamers as well.

I don't really like PC's with the monitor/computer built together, but this Mac was exceptional! It is very wide and helps those who need vision aid see better. If you are an Ipad/Iphone/Ipod user, this IMac is basically like a giant version of those, but easier to navigate.

Haven't got a crash yet. I expected worser graphics than the Windows PC's I own, but the screen basically has retina display. I love it!

• Support & Service:

Can't compare to Windows.

Comments about Apple iMac:

I have never been a serious fan of Apple or its products. When I first got my hands on an iMac, I did not know what I was getting into. First Off, it's slow and it is just a light show. It has many colors and appearances but i am more concerned about performance. Yes it does has a nice design but the optimal performance sucks. It isnt the best computer to use if you are a PC gamer. I had to find that out the hard way. I would never tell anyone to get any apple product, especially the iMac. You are way better off with windows

Great everyday computer!

Comments about Apple iMac:

I got this computer for graduate school because I needed something that could withstand heavy use, and large programs being used all at once (Safari and websites, Adobe suites, Miscrosoft suites etc.) Overall, it functions very well, sometimes it slows down a little but that is usually because I don't shut it off very often and it just runs a lot. When I first got the computer it had a few problems, dead cells in the screen and an overheating hard rive. These were fixed fast and efficiently by Apple because it was still under Apple Care. Now this is not anything against the computer itself because those types of things happen with technology all the time. Also, after those fixes, it works better than ever. The screen is a great size too if you want to use the computer to stream videos. I do that as much as use it for work. I am glad I upgraded to this from a macbook because it has far greater utility when it comes to working on graphic and visual projects than a laptop because of its screen size. the downside is it isn't transportable and you need to work at one desk space. On my next upgrade, I would probable have to see what utility my next job requires but if it is something that requires heavy duty graphic and web work, I will definitely b sticking to the iMac.

Best Desktop Computer I Ever Had

from Delray Beach, FL

Comments about Apple iMac:

The iMac 21" screen is the best desktop computer I ever had! I truly LOVE IT! It works well, easy to understand (very computer friendly), and great mouse.

I turn on the computer and find it's completely user friendly. I thought it would be different or difficult to learn how to use an iMac but to my grateful surprise it took no time at all. Everything is so simple.

Hardware Quality
I'm usually hard on things but I have managed to not hurt this computer. The hardware quality is great.

Support & Service
The best part of all this is the support and service (make sure you are signed up for everything). It doesn't matter how often I call about the same thing or different thing, they are so incredibly helpful. They will walk you through everything without a hint of annoyance (which other companies do show). I've also signed up for classes two years in a row as I find them very helpful as they are one on one classes. Again you can take them multiple times I am told and have experienced.

Have had this for 2 + years and no problem with Durability.

Great awesome design. It fits perfectly on my desk.

I just LOVE it! Is that enough of a hint?

• Support & Service:

The best Apple computer there is

Comments about Apple iMac:

This is a great computer. It has an excellent screen and high quality picture. Overall the computer runs pretty well. It can handle some gaming, videos, and most programs. The biggest issue with this computer is the price. You are mostly paying for the Apple brand name, but if you can afford it than it is a good choice. The computer is very easy to use even for the people who are not very tech savvy. If you are familiar with apple products than this will be easy to use.

This is very easy to use. If you have ever used an iphone, ipad, or ipod then the icons will look familiar to you.

Hardware Quality
I personally think the hardware is good quality, but that is just my opinion.

Support & Service
The customer services is generally quite good. Most people are familiar with the software.

Very durable. No problems so far.

This is a sleek and good-looking computer.

This computer is fast and can run most programs fine.

Great computer!

from florida, USA

Comments about Apple iMac:

Overall, this computer has exceeded my expectations and lifetime expectancy. Firstly, I purchased it off apples website in the "Refurbished" section. It still came with a full apple warranty and I was able to purchase AppleCare to protect it further. I bought it a little over 5 years ago. I believe it was the first generation to have the aluminum frame instead of the white plastic. I have had a few minor issues, but it was always fixed quickly (within a couple days of taking it to an apple store) and all issues I have had were covered under the AppleCare warranty. I have had other manufactures figure out a way to not cover issues even when I had purchased extra protection.

If you are new to a Mac operating system, that is the only learning curve. If you are already familiar, then an iMac will be just as easy to operate as your other Apple products.

Hardware Quality
Apple products are of good quality. As I have purchased it in the "Refurbished" section, I expected to have a couple issues. The first issue was with the screen (and that didn't happen until 3 years of owning the product). My husband and I use our iMac to watch movies (and we watch a lot) so it was no surprise when the screen started to go. And by "go" I don't mean anything drastic. when the screen would go completely black, we could see little horizontal scrolling lines on the screen. Nothing big. But Apple completely replaced the screen anyways. About a year later the hard drive died, but that was also covered and they transferred all of my info onto a new one.

Support & Service
Although it is a bit of a pain to drag an iMac into an Apple store for repair, it only takes a couple days to get fixed.

It has a heavy base to prevent tipping or being knocked over.

Sleek and elegant. I love the design.

Fast, dependable, and easily upgradeable.

• Support & Service:

I loved this machine until the sound stopped working...

from Carlsbad, CA

Comments about Apple iMac:

I loved this machine until the sound stopped working... and it's not because the speakers are broken. I've had the computer since last year so this is a fairly new computer. This is a common problem for many iMac and Pro computers. I've checked with support & blogs etc., this is a known problem and Apple just ignores it. I got it to work again for a couple of days then for no reason it stops. The Mute button looks like it's stuck. The whole thing is really irritating! I wouldn't recommend this machine based on this problem... what's the point of a computer with no sound.

Update 10/5/13: After a few weeks and a couple of software updates I haven't had a problem. The sound issue has not re-occured since. I would recommend doing the system updates if you have issues as I have had. Support was really bad, actually there is no support. You only get support if you pay for it; another irritating factor. I must say that this computer has been really stable outside of the temporary sound issue. I'm almost afraid to mention this in fear that something will occur. I would recommend to a friend.

One of a Kind

Comments about Apple iMac:

The Apple iMac has everything that a PC does and more. Great for organizing, editing, music, and just about everything else. There are apps exclusive to iMac like garageband, fetch, iMovie, iDVD. Great for music editing, video editing, etc. I never got a virus on my iMac and it is very difficult to break this items durability. Pretty pricey, but any Apple product is worth the price.