Other Desktops:

Apple Mac Mini desktop computer

Pros

Cons

• Support & Service:

The Mac Mini does everything I need!

I recently purchased a new Mac Mini, and I have to say that I love it. I was replacing an old Mac Mini, which had been a great computer also.  My new Mini came preloaded with a trial of  iWork, which replaced AppleWorks.  It also came with Safari, Garage Band, iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, iChat, iSync, Photo Booth, iDVD, Expose, iCal, Mail, Time Machine, Preview, QuickTime Player, a calculator, chess game, and a program to automatically check for software updates. It can play DVDs and it can write CDs.  It even came with a remote control!  The only drawback to a Mac Mini (if it even is one) is that the monitor, keyboard, and mouse must be purchased separately.  I don't view it as a drawback because I already had a monitor, keyboard, and mouse that I liked. By it not coming with those items, I didn't have to pay for things I didn't need.

The best thing about the Mac Mini is its size. It measures 6-1/2 inches wide by 6-1/2 inches deep by 2 inches tall.  It is a very sleek machine and packs a lot of power into a small size.  With most desktop computers, you have a big tower to deal with. There would not be room on my computer desk for a big tower, nor is there room underneath the desk for a tower.  My desk is only 42 inches wide, and I have room for my monitor, Mac Mini, and printer to all sit side by side with room to spare.  The sound on a Mac Mini is built in, but there is a jack if you wanted to use headphones (for privacy) or add speakers for better stereo sound- like if you are watching a movie or something on the computer.

When I got the Mini, it was very easy to get it connected to the internet.  It included an internet set up assistant.  I was online in Safari in a matter of minutes.  I was able to download anything else I needed from there.  I immediately ran a software update, to get the current versions of the preloaded applications.  It was effortless. The next thing I did was go to the Apple Store and download more Dashboard widgets.  It comes with the basics, but I like to be able to play games even if the internet is down for one reason or another.

My old Mac Mini had only had 2 USB ports, which meant we had to use a port expander (which was okay for a while, but some of the ports tended to short out rather quickly).  Imagine my joy at getting a new Mac Mini with 4 USB ports. That means I have a port for my printer, keyboard, mouse(if needed), and one extra device.  We no longer have to unplug the printer to charge the mp3 player or to hook up the digital camera.  It is terrific. I still have my 4-port port expander (with 2 working ports) and I do get it out occasionally if we want to charge up multiple mp3s at the same time.

My absolute favorite application on the Mac Mini is "Preview." This is the default program for viewing photos on the mac. I like the "snapshot" feature it has. I am a tutor and I keep track of the children's grades through their school's online grade site.  I can take a "snapshot" of the main page which lists all the grades so I can compare from time to time.  Also, my digital camera broke, so I am using a little flip video camera to record things. I am able to pause the videos and take still shots from them using the "snapshot" feature.  I have used these pictures to put items up on eBay or print out for a scrapbook.  It is very easy to do.  I can even rotate, crop, or adjust the images after I grab them.  The photo attached to this review was created using the "snapshot" feature.

My second favorite application that came preloaded is Safari.  I think Safari is the easiest, most user friendly internet browser available.  I have tried other browsers.  I have used Opera and Netscape and even Internet Explorer when they had a current Mac version.  I currently have Firefox available to me also.  I rarely use it though. My gaming friends have all kinds of problems with their browsers, but I rarely have any issues with mine.  When there is a problem and it unexpectedly quits (which is rare), it automatically prompts me to send a report to Apple so they can track problems and if it is a recurring problem, create a fix for it.  That is why they have the software updater available. Even if you forget to check for updates, it will check on a set schedule and let you know if there are any updates to your Apple software.  Then you can choose whether to update each item now, later, or never.  It even tells you if the update will require you to restart the computer or not.

I think that the Mac Mini would be a good computer for someone looking to upgrade that already has the monitor and keyboard and mouse. It would also be good for someone who is new to computers.  I have always told my family that Macs are the way to go because they are idiot-proof... and it turns out that I was right.  My father and stepmother were new to the world of computers in 1993 when they purchased their first Mac.  They have upgraded a few times since then, but always to a newer mac. Their last upgrade was to a mac mini.  They love it too.

Overrated

Apple has had a long history of developing new products that are deemed as "breakthrough innovations." However, while the quality of their computers may be great, the prices are quite ridiculous and the dependability is questionable. The operating system is a little difficult to adjust to for those who have been long PC users. Furthermore, the act of minimizing is annoying and the taskbar is defaulted on the right side instead of the bottom. The worst part of macs is that they are highly incompatible. There is a joke about the difference between macs and PCs if they were cars. The joke is that macs won't break down, are faster, and much more efficient but could only run on 10% of the roads. Another negative would definitely be the battery life of macs. Most Apple products are infamous for their low battery life, which is probably a result of running on a high performance system. While the mac is faster due to running on a different operating system, the price, incompatibility issue, and difficulty of usage make it much less appealing. Long time mac lovers will probably disagree, but I believe PCs make better desktops and laptops. Leave the mp3 players and phones to Apple.

Small Meets Powerful

Comments about Apple Mac Mini desktop computer:

I have had millions of these and this one is my favourite. It runs mac better just like an iMac and is a 5th of the size! I have bootcamp and Mac OS X Mavericks on mine and it works perfectly. I have never had any problems with my mac and would recommend it to anybody.

The Mac Mini since 2011 has no disc drive which is very complicated to burn a disc to so, if you're planning to burn CD's than think again and get a flash drive or buy a 2010 mac mini off of eBay and get a CD Drive.

Hardware Quality
These mac minis will work with all kinds of Mac Hardware and never let you down. It only take a few milliseconds to load Firefox 29.0

Support & Service
Honestly, I have never had to call support for this computer.

The Mac Mini is made of aluminum like all other apple computers nowadays except for the Mac Pro so when you drop it. You should be suprised if the hard drive flies out.

The Mac Mini's design is slim and very small (thats why its called mini) so, you can sometimes not even notice your computer is sitting on your desk or table.

The Performance is great. This computer runs really fast most of the time though sometimes it can get slow.

• Support & Service:

IT´s very good for recording videos

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Apple Mac Mini desktop computer:

This little full computer is small and fits in a little cubicle in an entertainment center, and it´s being used along with an Eye TV box to capture TV shows from our cable system. It´s also of course, a full computer, and since we upgraded the memory to 8 gigabytes from its original 2, it performs far better when we multitask it, such as surfing the web while a recording is ongoing. I also notice how smooth the playback is since the upgrade. It didn´t start out as a powerful computer, but it does the job well, and the operating system uses the resources efficiently.

Very easy for all ages to use its operating system.

Hardware Quality
Sturdy despite being small.

Support & Service
We took it to the Apple store once, but not for repair. It was for its memory upgrade. The service was very good.

Every once in a while, it needs to be cold rebooted. But other than that, it has held up for 4 years of heavy use.

Small and out of the way where it rests. But I would love more USB ports.

Very good. and quite stable. Fast and responsive, very sharp smooth graphics.

• Support & Service:

This Computer is AMAZING!!!

Comments about Apple Mac Mini desktop computer:

I suffered through Windows Vista's chunkiness until the computer became very old and unusable. {I had little money to spend and needed a new complete package, tower, monitor, mouse. Which I'm sure also meant the tower was even cheaper than it appeared.} Some components on it died an early death, and so when it came time to replace it, I vowed not to go to rock-bottom again. I briefly used Windows 8, and similarly vowed I'd buy a Windows 7 Machine if I stuck with PC’s. My sister in Law is a bit of a Mac Evangelist, and she said that there were many things about the Mac I would enjoy (no system slowdown occurring from daily use, due to something about how Windows runs, (The Registry, and resource sharing) and that I would have the opportunity to continue with the hobby of Video Production I've enjoyed since early childhood, on through High School on the early Mini-DV and Firewire iMacs.... So, when I found-out that the next notch-up from the bottom Windows 7 Machine was close in price to the Mac Mini, I figured it was fate, especially since Macs last longer than PCs, (there are iMacs from 11 years ago on Craigslist in working order. Whether the Registry/resource sharing thing increases the usability of my Mac remains to be seen, but I do not think many PCs can claim mechanical functioning for over a 10 years.... Given this type of longevity as well as rumors that Microsoft is stubbornly sticking with the Tablet-imitating interface of Windows 8 for the future, I can say that I am very happy with my new Mac Mini. This computer is small but VERY fast.

Very easy to steep :)

Hardware Quality
Very good hardware, components are well made

Apple care :)

It sits on the table so you never have to move it

Very compact and quiet

VERY FAST! especially with mac OS

• Support & Service:

Powerful yet amazing computer!

Comments about Apple Mac Mini desktop computer:

It's amazing how much this little apple mac has to offer as a desktop. Along with it's space saving size, compared to normal desktops this one takes up to no real space. The desktop itself is tricky at first trying to figure out the computer settings as it is a mac and windows in one. So it takes some time figuring that out but it has so many awesome features once you get a hang of it you are hooked.

Takes some learning.

I have noticed it does like freeze up every now and than depending on the application that is running. other than that no real problems, just a great computer a lot quicker.

• Support & Service:

Apple knows what they are doing!

from Rexburg, ID

Comments about Apple Mac Mini desktop computer:

I opened this Christmas morning and shocked that this was the computer. It is so small I couldn't believe that this was a desktop computer. Everything for my computer aside from the monitor fits inside the keyboard drawer. It makes for such a nice clean look. I am still learning all the ins and outs of mac since this is my first computer from apple but I am enjoying it a lot.

Takes a little getting use to and learning but very easy.

Support & Service
We had a problem setting this up on Christmas day and one call to apple and we had it all done in less then 5 minutes.

• Support & Service:

Overall good substitute for a huge desktop.

Comments about Apple Mac Mini desktop computer:

We purchased the Mac Mini when my laptop was slowing down and about out of life. I had just gotten into more advanced photography and needed something faster to edit my photos with. The Mac Mini is so small and sleek but packs the same punch any Apple computer would. It boots up quickly and runs smoothly. You can also upgrade the RAM yourself by twisting off the bottom of the computer. I found that the 2G of RAM didn't run all that fast, but once we added more RAM for just a little more money, it was flying through our programs and would load everything unbelievably fast. We did have one problem with our Mac Mini. It was very slow to boot down, and it eventually stopped booting up. We took it to the Mac Store where they discovered our file start up was missing a step and fixed it on the spot for us. It has Time Machine so you can back up continually to an external hard drive and not fear about losing any of your data. I would recommend this to anyone looking for something smaller than a desktop computer but that can be connected with wireless internet and taken anywhere you need.

Great machine for work!

from Fort Lee, NJ

Comments about Apple Mac Mini desktop computer:

Got this machine over a year ago, and it has been connected to a 42" TV via an HDMI adapter. It is mainly used for presentations, and the 1080p video output is great for that. When we need an extra machine for freelancers to use, it is easily moved due to its small form-factor, and hooked up to a digital display.

As far as performance goes, the speed is more than sufficient for running any work-related applications, such as Microsoft Word, Adobe PhotoShop or any other design-related applications.

It also features Bluetooth connectivity, which is good for connecting Bluetooth enabled devices such as a wireless keyboard and/or mouse.

You also have the option of connecting wirelessly to your wireless router, or using a regular ethernet cord.

• Support & Service:

Apple Mac Mini - Good things do come in small packages!

from Houston, TX

Comments about Apple Mac Mini desktop computer:

Ah the Mac Mini... the littlest member of the apple family. There was a time when I would look at this computer with contempt. Thought it was the "this is all I could afford" model of the Apple lineup. Happily I found out that this is not completely so... Being an IT guy, it seems we always want to go for the "fastest" computer, the bigger amount of memory possible, etc.etc, while not a bad thing perse, you have to stop and think: what do I want to use this computer for? In my case, while I fell in love with apple's OS, and really got tired of having a "hackingtosh", I wasn't really going to use this for games (who game with a Mac anyway, right?). What I wanted it for was actually to edit my home videos, my photos, etc. All of this can be done in a fantastic way with iLife. And the best thing is that the whole user experience is beautiful and seamless! While in my case this isn't my only computer, if you are considering it as you main one you cannot go wrong: With a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo processor, 4GB of RAM and all the extras (wi-fi, bluetooth, etc), this little critter has more than enough horsepower to run anything you want: music, videos, surfing, office aps, etc.

The only con I can think of is the price. Sure, it's cheap, but add the keyboard, mouse, and a decent monitor, and we're closing in on the price of an iMAC, which is the next oneI'm buying.. ;)

• Support & Service:

The Mac Mini is a great computer, but not always a great deal.

from Eugene, OR

Comments about Apple Mac Mini desktop computer:

I've used several different generations of the Mac Mini and they are all very similar.  The main difference is in the display port, which on the latest generations has been changed to one of Apple's mini DVI ports.

The computer itself is capable and has all the features you'd expect to find in an Apple product: compact package, sleek design, and capable but not overwhelming performance.  Out of the box it comes with little more than a power cord and a few start-up discs.  Anything else and you'll need to purchase it separately.  The Mini seems to basically be the computer bits of an iMac put into a box.

The main downside is the lack of peripherals that come with the computer.  At the bare minimum you'll likely need to purchase an adapter for the video port or at most you'll need to buy a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and the mini DVI adapter.  When you add up the cost of purchasing all the peripherals the deal isn't quite as stellar as the small pricetag might suggest.

Buy it if you want a Mac and have a great monitor, keyboard and mouse

Buy an iMac if you're starting from scratch and want to get into the Mac world.

Now that the computer is several years old the difficulty of increasing the ram is a real limitation.

• Support & Service:

This is the best computer I have ever had!

from Knoxville, TN

Comments about Apple Mac Mini desktop computer:

I bought this product refurbished, and it has been excellent. Mac quality is exceptional, so I knew that I was not taking a risk when I bought a refurbished product (for much less than a brand new one!). I have been very satisfied with my new computer and have yet to have any complaints about it over the 3 months I have owned it. This is my first Mac computer, and I am hooked on the performance!