Other Cold & Flu Medicines:

Airborne Effervescent Tablets

Pros

Cons

• Cough Suppression:

helped my sore throat big time

Ok, so I'm a medical student and I didn't believe a teacher could invent an amazing cold medicine.  It just didn't add up.  My parents swear by it but I have avoided it every time I've been sick.

But then I came back home for my sister's wedding with a horrible sore throat and a runny nose.  I did NOT want to be coughing and sniffing during her event (and I didn't have any pockets in my dress for cough drops and kleenex lol) so I gave in a took one of these tablets dissolved in about a 1/4 cup of water.

Just wait for it to stop fizzing and gulp it down.  Tastes actually pretty good--not like nasty alka-seltzer.  My cold symptoms went away that afternoon and I took another one the next day for good measure.  Cold avoided!

I have been recommending this to my friends and family.  And they actually listen to me since I'm studying medicine.  So there it is.  Take this and to avoid colds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will NEVER take AirBorne again

My family and I tried AirBorne for a while.  We were tired of getting sick and were hoping it would give us a boost.  Even after being on it for a couple months, we were all still getting sick (I happened to get a record number of colds and flu's that year).  The taste is mediocre at best (I could hardly stand it!), and it was a bit on the spendy side.

I also discovered - the hard way - that this product has a pretty nasty reaction with moisture.  I often carried some in my purse in a plastic medicine storage container.  It had been raining, but other than that there is no way I can think of that moisture got in their (my purse wasn't very wet).  I opened it after work to get my keys, and discovered that the tablets had turned into a nasty foam mess that expanded and covered the entire interior of the medicine storage container (all meds in there were ruined), and the foam had spread into my purse and made a horribly gooey, stinky mess!  That was the last day I have used AirBorne.

The only "plus" for this product is that it is widely available and can be bought almost anywhere...

Airborne

Comments about Airborne Effervescent Tablets:

Airborne is a must have for busy hustle and bustle type lifestyles and especially handy when going on vacations where I am not in my typical environment. My immune system has been a real challenge for me my entire life. Usually as soon as I go on vacation I find my immune system shot and I end up getting sick within a few days which needless to say can really put a damper on my vacations. What I love about airborne is that it is packed with many numerous vitamins, especially vitamin C and even ginger to help not only prevent me from getting sick but also helping me to recover at an extremely quick rate when I do end up getting sick. The taste itself is surprisingly mellow and dare I say, good. I enjoy mixing it into a water bottle on the go or even putting it into some hot tea to really help soothe a sore throat.

Relief of Aches & Pains
I might not say it helps per say for aches and pains since there aren't any pain relief aids included in it, but for everything else it excels.

• Cough Suppression:

Airborne boosts your immune system to help fight off sickness

from Pennsylvania

Comments about Airborne Effervescent Tablets:

My mom swears by Airborne Effervescent Tablets. She had tried to get me to use these for years. I always told her I would but avoided it because I never liked drinking water with dissolvable tablets. They always tasted horrible to me. Well one day I was visiting her and was coming down with a cold. She sent me home with some Airborne Tablets and I decided I would finally try it. It was not as bad as I thought it would be. The taste wasn't bad at all. My cold never seemed to develop and linger like they usually do for me so I was impressed. This has an extremely high dose of vitamin C which is known to boost the immune system. Although this really doesn't help with some uncomfortable cold and flu symptoms, it prevents or shortens the length of your cold or symptoms. I think the key is to take it as soon as you are feeling a little under the weather or know you may be coming down with something.

Extra Boost of Defense

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Airborne Effervescent Tablets:

I try to eat my daily vitamin needs with fresh produce but certain times of the year I get more concerned about the possibility of cold, flu and other 'airborne' illnesses and welcome a little extra protection from the germs that seem to be everywhere.

There's a couple of different products on the market, and honestly each season I choose which I am going to buy based on the price (looking for sales and coupons) but it tends to come down to either this product or the other well known 'emergency extra defense' drink mix.

This product doesn't differ much with the other, the most major thing being that this is not effervescent like the other is. While I prefer the slight bubbles, I don't let that characteristic make a final decision when I am choosing - usually it's cost. Both are easy to use and seem effective (I don't get sick all that often, and rarely more than just a slight sniffle for a day or two.

The packet is powdered - you mix it with 6-8 ounces of water and drink. The product recommends multiple times a day but I tend to stick to 2-3 times a week, and it seems to be enough. I'll keep using this for extra protection to ward off colds, flu and the like.

Works for me!

Comments about Airborne Effervescent Tablets:

I have been using Airborne for several years now and I can honestly say that it works. I take it once a day as a dietary supplement. Also, if I ever feel like I am coming down with a cold or something I take it twice a day and it knocks it right out. I usually take it with a small amount of water in a glass and then rest afterwards. I believe that it keeps me from getting sick. The taste is somewhat decent as well, but after taking this for all these years, I am totally used to it now. If you don't really like the taste, you can add some orange juice to cheer it up a little. Therefore, I always keep a stock of Airborne in our kitchen cabinet at all times. I have recommended this product to many people and co-workers at work and my children's school and they all say the same thing now. This will always be part of my cold fighting regimen. So people keep these tablets at home, in the office, in the car, or wherever! I hope it saves you from getting a cold/flu.

This product is great!

Comments about Airborne Effervescent Tablets:

I have been taking this for years. I usually start taking it if any of my co-workers or friends and family are sick, and I am around them. If you take immediately when you are around others that are sick, then it works very quickly to help you keep from getting sick. I also use this product when I think that my immune system is low, like from lack of sleep or stress. Also, when I am traveling on planes I use this medicine, as their are many germs. The medicine is very easy to use, because you just have to drop a tablet into 6 ounces of water to dissolve, and then you drink it. The taste isn't bad, as I usually get the orange flavor packs. If you take it after you are already sick, it takes a little longer to work effectively. They do have a few other flavors to choose from, but orange is my favorite. I am very happy with this product, and I would highly recommend it to anyone, especially to those wanting to boost their immune system, traveling or anyone that has come in contact with people that have colds or flus.

Not super effective

Comments about Airborne Effervescent Tablets:

Airborne Effervescent Tablets have been marketed to help promote immune system health through the use of herbs, minerals, and vitamins. While this product is great tasting, I am skeptical as to the claims it makes with regard to the human body's immune system. I work around a lot of young people and cold and cold and flu season always hits me hard. I get sick multiple times per winter. A co-worker suggested that I might want to try these Airborne tablets. I started taking them on a proactive basis (before I got sick) and still got sick just as many times that winter as I had in the past. I do enjoy the taste of these tablets. They dissolve quickly and the mixture does not leave an aftertaste. Overall, I enjoy the Airborne tablets, but I just don't think taking them really benefits my immune system. I don't think the product is harmful to your health. I just don't think the tablets are noticeably helpful to your health.

A great product

from Sacramento, CA

Comments about Airborne Effervescent Tablets:

I can't say enough good about the Airborne family of products. Although the immune support group comes in several formats, I find the effervescent tablets work the best for me.

When I first begin feeling the onset of a cold or flu, I dissolve the tablets in warm water. The mixture is soothing. As I get better, because taking these tablets does make me better, I dissolve them in cold water.

I have found them most effective at the beginning of symptoms, and can attest that I have been able to stave off full scale illness because of their use! Likewise, if I haven't caught my malady in time, I continue to use them to support my immune system throughout my illness. I have found that when I use them in this way, the duration of my illness is often shortened.

A really good feature is that they come in more than one flavor. Sometimes when I am really ill, the taste of orange just makes me feel worse. So, I appreciate that there are three other options.

Not That Helpful

Comments about Airborne Effervescent Tablets:

There is really no proof this works. I find it to not work all that well. Its basically a fizzy tablet that adds a tons of vitamins to your glass of water. But there is too much of a good thing. You really don't need 1000% Daily Value of Vitamin C, which is about what is in one of these tablets. IT has been linked to some liver problems to take too much Vitamin C. You are better off just buying some fruit like oranges or juice if you feel a cold coming on. Drinking regular old tea helps also. I wouldn't risk using a product like this, especially since you likely won't be running around a lot if you aren't feeling well, which would help your body get rid of the excess vitamins. Its more a superstition rather than any concrete evidence that this helps. Get some orange juice instead.

Congestion Relief
Airborne does nothing to help congestion.

Chest Congestion Relief
Has nothing that helps with chest congestion.

Relief of Aches & Pains
This is not a pain reliever.

Cough Suppression
Maybe it would help some feel better, but ultimately this is not medicine.

Airborne effervescent tablets

Comments about Airborne Effervescent Tablets:

So you dissolve these in water and drink to boost your immune system and prevent sickness from invading your body. They do not work whatsoever, take a multi vitamin everyday if you want a better immune system! My child was starting school and I knew he would be bringing tons of germs home. Me and my husband starting drinking this gross stuff a full week before, and guess what? We still got sick! This stuff taste disgusting and never fully dissolves so you get chunks of it going down which tastes even worse. Save your money on this one.

Congestion Relief
This is an immune boosting drink, it will do nothing for you if you already have symptoms.

Chest Congestion Relief
Does nothing for congestion or any other symptom, it is not that kind of medicine.

Relief of Aches & Pains
This is a vitamin C immune boosting drink to prevent getting sick. No relief of anything with this product.

Cough Suppression
This product will only help you to prevent from getting sick. Once you are sick it won't help at all.

Best ever

from Jetersville, VA

Comments about Airborne Effervescent Tablets:

This is one of the best cold/flu meds I have ever had as I can take it with any other medication I need to take for the symptoms.

Congestion Relief
This is a boost for your immune system to help your body fight the bug/virus

Chest Congestion Relief
I can't really say that Airborne is a chest congestion relief but the Airborne gives back to my body the minerals and vitamins that will aid my body in recovering from the cold/flu and boost my immune system so that it can fight the cold/flu.

Relief of Aches & Pains
Whether it is the cold or flu, Airborne replenishes my body so my immune system can fight back.

Cough Suppression
Airborne is the vitamin/minerals that boost my immune system so I can suppress the cough.