View more laptops

Acer Aspire Notebook PC

Acer Aspire Notebook PC

3.9

Acer Aspire 3680-2682 is a good working laptop for the money

My husband and I bought matching Acer Aspire 368-2682 laptops in October 2007. I am on mine now, typing this. They have been good, durable computers, and can do all of the basic computing one would need. Just about anyone wanting to surf the net, email or chat, would really enjoy this laptop.

There are a few drawbacks to this computer:

They are a bit limited in the graphics area, and can't run very many "graphic intense" games.

They are lacking enough memory to run some of the functions of even BASIC programs, (so we installed a memory upgrade).

There seems to be a "glitch" in the internet connection. I can be on the internet, and a second later, my connection is gone. I am a computer tech, and have ruled out the wireless network card, because it does the same thing using an alternate. It seems to be something inside Vista or something that triggers this, and it doesn't work again until the computer is fully restarted. This is the most annoying problem, and the biggest drawback. I have tried everything to fix it. It is only in mine, and my husband's works fine. I have, however, found numerous others who seem to have this problem, as well.

All in all, this is a GREAT computer for the money. You will hardly find a laptop priced so low, with so many features.

Criminal To Put Vista On It

First the negatives:

The Acer 3680-2682 had the misfortune of a poor selection of Vista being installed on it.  There simply is not enough memory to perform such a task. The processor speed test I performed (found on Linux distros) checked in slow for this device as well.  The last negative is that the battery doesn't last long.  No recovery disk included.  Recovery is to be performed using a hidden recovery partition, using some of your 80 MB hard drive.

I'm considering either upgrading my Acer with more memory and a better battery or purchasing one of the new Netbooks available or doing both.

Just about any Linux OS will do nicely.  The best small Linux choice is Puppy Linux, which will operate on just about anything and operate quickly I might add.  It will run on a CD, a flash stick, or can be installed on a newly created partition.

The positives:

In Vista OS, everything works fine, just slowly.  The laptop feels durable.  The screen seems to have good resolution.  Three 2.0 USB slots helps.  The DVD/CD RW combo also helps.  The 80 GB HD is plenty for vacation photos, which is mostly what I use it for.   I had to purchase a Wireless Lan card to get the wireless Internet to work in Linux.  Wireless Internet works fine in Vista.

I'd recommend the laptop with some hesitation.  If you are savvy enough to upgrade your memory and battery or install a Linux distribution then this laptop will work fine for you.  If neither of these options will work for you, then I could not recommend it.

Great deal for the price

from Saint Clair, MI

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

Over-all, this laptop is a good buy. Windows Vista is still very new and so I have found that it does not support very much software. Hopefully this will be worked out in future updates. The tech support is free and very helpful, I've had to use it a couple of times. Screen resolution is very nice for the price. I wouldn't recommend this for someone who wants to play games which require lots of space. It is a little slow compared to expensive models, but you get what you pay for and all this really needs is some additional virtual memory. I'm very happy with the purchase.

Not bad for the price

from North Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

Bought laptop in April 07.  Not a bad product overall and has many great features.  Built in speakers and WiFi are a plus but battery life wasn't as good as anticipated.  I've had 4 laptops in the past and this one isn't much better in terms of battery life compared to the previous models I've owned.  It came with 512Mb Ram but I had to upgrade to 2Gb to run apps simultaneously.  Would definitely recommend more Ram.  Has "S" cable that makes it extremely easy to hook up to external monitors and projectors.

Acer 3680 seems to be a solid notebook pc for the price

from Forest, OH

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

While being a little dated these days, this laptop is still very quick and great for normal websurfing and nothing to over the top of pc games.  Built in WIFI , sound, usb, cd burner, this is the total package.  As with most ACER displays the picture of this monitor looks great.

While the battery life could be better I get roughly an hour of light use.  This laptob also seems to put out alot of heat, so if your going to be using it alot you may want to invest in a laptop cooler.

I can't think of any reason I would talk anyone out of getting the 3680 I've had nothing but good luck with it, and I feel Acer is a great brand that you can rely on to deliver quality and big bang for the buck.

The 512mb ram is pretty weak and I plan to upgrade that soon.  The built in WIFI also has great range and has no problems throughout my home.  I wish I had a larger screen but compared to the tiny netbooks the acer is just fine.

It is great to use for fun and work.

from Bronx, NY

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

*Here is my view on **Acer Aspire 3680-2682**. First thing about it is that I am using it to do this review now. It is easy to use when you know what it can do I am still learning. It is not hard to use. Besides using the computer for E-Mails and networking you can watch movies and hear your music and even make music I think you can edited videos had not tried it yet but you can. The other thing about having a computer like this you need to get yourself protections for the system. That is what I am having a problem with right now. I don't really have not downside with this Computer yet but you looking for a system that you can do a lot of things this is it. I don't have a photo but I can say it is gray outside and black when you open it. It comes with a AC Adapter from Delta Electronics Inc V85. The only problem I have is that when I unplug the power the energy get wasted a bit fast. Try it yourself.*

This Acer Aspire 3680 is a very dependable computer!!!!!

from Dunnellon, FL

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

The Acer Aspire 3680 is a wonderfull, dependable, long asting, very fast computer. For the kids, adults or the whole family. This computer has alot of memory for young teens that like to downloade things like games and music and of course there pictures. Its slim, sleek, easy to carry, it isnt heavy at all.

My new Acer Aspire laptop is AWESOME!

from Bedford, IN

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

I opened my new Acer Aspire laptop over the weekend and I am VERY happy with it.  There was no software to upload, no discs to put in and take out, etc, before it started "working."  I took it out of the box, plugged it in overnight, and the next morning it was ready to go!

All I had to do was put a few icons on the desktop - my email, etc, - and it took off like a rocket.

This laptop is super light, super thin, and a lovely pale gray.  I know the color has no connection, but it does to me!  Best of all, the battery will last for EIGHT HOURS!  And did I mention that it has 4 gigs of memory?

Just wanted to share this fact with anyone who is considering a new laptop.

The acer aspire 3680 is not a very good laptop.

from Saint Cloud, FL

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

I bought the Acer Aspire 3680 a couple of years ago.  I wanted a laptop at the time and did not want to spend a lot of money to spend, so I bought this one for a pretty cheap price.  It did not come with anything fancy.  It is just your basic laptop without a lot of memory or cool features.  It does not come in any different colors or patterns, but I was not looking for any of those things.  I just wanted a basic computer that would perform basic jobs.  It did work fine for a few months, but that was about it.  After the first few months the Acer laptop moved so slowly it was practically useless.  I think that perhaps I should have saved up and spent a little bit more money to get a laptop that was a little less basic.  This was a lesson well learned and I hope that others can learn from my mistake and buy something that is worth their money.  I know I will in the future.  You really do get what you pay for.

best laptop

from Torrington, CT

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

I have had my acer aspire now for two years now and I have never had a problem with it.  It is extremly reliable and has never let me down.  It is very compact and lightweight which is convienent for me since I take my acer laptop with me everywhere I go.   The screen is very clear and bright and easy to clean.  The sound quality is great too as I always play my music on my acer.   It also has a privacy screen which is nice so people next to me can not see what I am viewing on my computer, although I have to remember that when i am viewing clips with my kids.

Criminal To Put Vista On It

from Harrisburg, PA

The positives:

The Acer Aspire notebook is a gread deal!

from Middlesboro, KY

Comments about Acer Aspire Notebook PC:

I purchased the Acer Aspire 3680-2682 for the purpose of attending college online.  It has been very reliable and I now use it for everything.  I hardly ever use my desktop any more.  The battery does not last very long but for the price it is a great value.