Other Mouthwashes:
Mouthwash
ACT

ACT Restoring Mouthwash

Used twice a day, Act delivers above its promises

I initially used Act Restoring Mouth Rinse upon the recommendation of my dentist. In addition to a few weak spots on my teeth (which the dentist noticed), I had terrible sensitivity (which I didn't tell her about). I think I had probably used about half the bottle when I noticed that the sensitivity had decreased, and when I returned to the dentist, she said my teeth actually looked whiter. Now I switched to Listerine Total Care to save a little money, but after 2 bottles of that, the sensitivity returned relentlessly. I'm talking, after brushing, I had to rinse with warm water. And it had to be just right. Couldn't stand too hot, and DEFINITELY couldn't stand too cold. After going back to Act for a month, a lot less sensitive. After about another month, I probably won't have any. Act is my hero!!!

Not as good as their fluoride rinse daily product

We initially started using ACT at the recommendation of my husbands dentist.  Age, less than wonderful teeth and less than stellar tooth care had left him with a number of issues and with quite sensitive teeth (which of course made him even less likely to visit the dentist in the first place.

I didn't realize that the two products were as different as they were and figured if once a day use was good...well twice a day had to be better!  Didn't it?  Well....no.

ACT claims include: Fighting further tooth decay, strenghtening tooth enamel and reducing oral sensitivity.  We have definately found with the daily product that their claims held up with the cessation of continued decline and with continued use actual improvement of the state of his teeth.  But then I purchased the twice a day product and his dentist was actually able to tell that he had changed products on his next visit!  And, so was he...after consistantly having improving visits his discomfort level increase with the change in products was noticable.

The daily use product contains no alcohol, this product does which causes more gum irritation.  The daily product deliver 0.05% sodium fluoride, which is equivalent to 0.02% of the fluoride ion; the 2x/day formula contain 0.02% sodium fluoride.  If you are trying to arrest and correct dental issues the higher concentration of fluoride does a significantly better job.

Great mouthwash, poorly designed liter bottle

Comments about ACT Restoring Mouthwash:

The mouthwash itself is good. The pH, at 6.6 is the best of the leading mouthwash products. The problem is the 1 liter bottle. If you hold it with your hand on the front and back, the compression force needed to pick up the bottle will cause the bottle to squeeze in abruptly to the point where liquid spurts out the top.

Dentist recommended

Comments about ACT Restoring Mouthwash:

My dentist recommended that I use this mouthwash since I have some sensitivity caused by receding gums. I do not know what fluoride does, but it actually makes my teeth less sensitive. Act is the best rinse around and my dentist even warned against other brands because they will oftentimes not contain fluoride. This is a great addition to my dental hygiene routine. I brush, floss, then rinse and my teeth feel fresh and completely clean. My dentist says this will help (along with flossing) to prevent cavities from forming in between teeth. So far so good, I have not had a cavity for a very long time. The taste is great, very minty, and I like that it is not too strong or painful like listerine. I can easily rinse for 30 seconds or more without any burning or pain. I love this rinse and a bottle lasts a long time since you do not have to use very much each rinse. Highly recommended!

Does what it says

Comments about ACT Restoring Mouthwash:

I have used the Act Restore mouthwash a couple of times, and while it's not my favorite mouthwash (Number one being Listerine), it does do what it claims. Act won't restore the lost enamel on your teeth, but it does do a good job of restoring soft parts by filling them in. People with sensitive teeth, will notice after a while of use. I should also point out, that this product does not work immediately. You will have to use it for a couple of weeks before you see a difference. There are a couple of flavors to choose from. Cool Mint has always been my staple. There is also some alcohol added in, which does burn your mouth a little, but not nearly as bad as other brands. It will also leave your mouth feeling and smelling clean. Some reviews have stated that Act Restore has stained their teeth, or turned the edges black. I can't say that it does or doesn't. However, in my personal experience, I didn't notice any change. The one major drawback to this product, is the price. It can be pretty expensive, and the bottle doesn't go far before you're out. Overall I would recommend this product to anyone who suffers from sensitive teeth.

Best Protection for Your Teeth!

Comments about ACT Restoring Mouthwash:

ACT Restoring mouthwash is the best protection for your teeth, I have found. We used the regular ACT mouthwash; however, I noticed my teeth were becoming more and more sensitive to hot and cold food and drinks. I realized the enamel was wearing down on my teeth according to my dentist. He called them soft spots. I tried a toothpaste that claimed it would help but the taste, as well as the aftertaste, left a lot to be desired. I decided to put the ACT Restoring mouthwash to the test. It has a refreshing taste and my teeth are not sensitive any more by reducing the soft spot in my teeth. Further, the ACT Restoring mouthwash helps prevent tooth decay and strengthens my teeth. After using ACT Restoring mouthwash for six months, my dentist told me my soft spots were gone. My dentist called it re-mineralization of the sensitive spots. Not sure how it works but it does help my teeth and my dentist is pleased.

Great taste

Comments about ACT Restoring Mouthwash:

This mouthwash is excellent. It tastes really good and it definitely leaves your mouth cleaner than other brands. You don't get the typical burning sensation that you do with listerine. You can actually swish your mouth out the suggested time instead of like 10 seconds like with listerine. This product does what it's advertised. I would definitely recommend to anyone. If you currently use listerine you should try this product instead!

It does it's job

from Tacoma, WA

Comments about ACT Restoring Mouthwash:

My dentist recommended ACT fluoride mouthwash because I am very susceptible to cavities. I bought the restoring one in particular, because I have receding gums that need remineralizing. The spearmint flavor is great. It is not as strong as your typical mouthwash such as Scope or Listerine. I can easily swish it around in my mouth for the full minute without tearing up. However, if you are very sensitive to strong mouthwash, I'd recommend you to use the sensitive one instead. I've tried the ACT sensitive formula and it's much softer on your taste buds. Personally, I like this better because the Restoring mouthwash makes my breath feel so refreshing. It has definitely improved the soft spots on my gums. My sensitivity towards hot and cold foods remain the same though. Most importantly, I've been to my dentist for 3 bi-annual visits, and so far, no cavities! So I am convinced ACT works! The sensitivity is not completely gone, but I am happy I'm not getting anymore fillings.

Great way to help restore enamel

Comments about ACT Restoring Mouthwash:

This product is a great choice if you struggle with problems with your enamel and have problems such as sensitive teeth, etc. This product is supposed to help restore the enamel back to its full level. And although I am not sure it actually helps more enamel to grow (I think it just help your levels stay the same throughout the day), it certainly does help with the long term sensitivity to cold and hot that many people deal with. Using this product on a regular basis can help your teeth from the sensitivity pain as well as from unnecessary dental work due to lack of enamel. I am so thankful my dentist turned me on to this as well as a sensitive toothpaste. It turned a possible expensive dental work project into an unnecessary event. I would much rather use this on a daily basis than spend all that time in the dentist's chair! The flavor is also good and doesn't burn as much as some of those mouthwashes can.

If Your Dr doesn't recommend it I'd steer clear of it!

from Albuquerque, NM

Comments about ACT Restoring Mouthwash:

My Dentist recommend this product about two weeks ago. I can not say that it is my favorite or even a likeable mouthwash. I can only hope it is doing the restoring job it is suppose to do. It is an alcohol based mouthwash so it really burns when you use it and it is hard to keep rinsing for the amount of time you should because your mouth feels like it is on fire. Also, the cool mint flavor is over powered by the alcohol even after you rinse your mouth. There is an alcohol after taste that tends to linger for over a half hour and so there is no cool mint aftertaste. Instead after using it I want to brush my teeth with a different product. I feel like my breath has a bad smell after using it instead of the normal refreshed feeling after other mouthwashes. I need to continue to use it as recommended by the dentist for restoring enamel but I haven't been using it long enough to be able to tell if it is working. Since it is so hard to rinse with it for even a minute, I don't feel this product is worth the money

Comments about ACT Restoring Mouthwash:

I normally am not a big fan of mouthwash because it burns and just really a hassle. It really sucks if you accidentally swallow some also. But I actually liked this mouth wash. Due to acids from fruits and citrus, the enamel on my teeth has worn down quite a bit. This mouth wash helps with sensitivity and pain. It also has a pretty minty scent. I would recommend it for people with sensitive teeth.

Miracle mouthwash

Comments about ACT Restoring Mouthwash:

About a month ago, I took a good look at my teeth. Upon self-examination, I noticed white spot lesions mostly on the cusps of my teeth. I have braces, but after an appointment with my dentist we came to the conclusion the spots werent caused from orthodontics. Being my panicky self, I went out and bought Act Restoring Fluoride Rinse and got a prescription strength fluoride toothpaste from my dentist. I used the mouthwash after every meal and made sure not to eat or drink for 30 minutes. Yesterday, I took another good look at my teeth and saw a very slight improvement in the remineralization process of the white spots. I am excited to continue using this product daily to improve the white spots and sensitivity in my teeth.