Other Misc. Dentals:
Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser

Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser

Pros

Cons

waterpik ultra dental water jet is great one

I've always prided myself on my good teeth. I thought that flossing and brushing was enough...that was until I went to the dentist, and he said I had the beginnings of periodontal disease. That scared the hell out of me. I went home and started using the Sonicare I had bought but never plugged in. That was good, but not enough - I bought a Waterpik because obviously flossing wasn't cutting it. I had never used a Waterpik before, and it was some revelation! I'm still amazed that there are some Waterpik oldtimers who say this machine isn't strong enough...uh, for what? Peeling paint off a brick wall? This thing absolutely knocked my socks off when it came to the PRESSURE. I started out at 2 and worked my way up to 7 - it still stings like mad, but I'm getting used to it by now. I put Listerine in the tank to increase the anti-bacteria result. My dentist went on vacation, and I had to cancel another appointment, so it happened that almost two months had elapsed since the last time I had seen him. In that time, I faithfully brushed with the Sonicare four times a day and used the Waterpik at least once (several tankfuls of water and Listerine worth.) when i went to my dentist, he was amazed because there is no plaque.Thanks waterpik ultra.

Better than nothing!

After years of braces, my teeth are very, very close together to the point where I cannot get floss in between many of them.  I thought I'd try out the Waterpik and was very pleasantly surprised at how great it worked!  It does have a few downfalls and negative points:  It splatters on the mirror making a huge mess unless you're super careful and even on the lowest setting, it seems a little harsh on my gums and stings slightly.  I love that I'm getting a good clean, but it is a little bit of a hassle to keep refilling the water and the bungy type cord doesn't make it super easy to keep out of my little one's reach.  She's very interested in what it does and it's too bulky to fit within a medicine cabinent or hide out of reach.  I wish they made one that would be more portable and easy to travel with, also!  I would highly recommend it, but keep a little Windex nearby for those spraying messes!

Saving my mouth from myself

Comments about Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser:

There is something quite horrifying about having your dental hygienist tell you that you have deep pockets in your gums by your teeth. And that there is food packed in them. And you have gingivitis and might need gum surgery.

Gross, right? But then she said, "if you use a Waterpik ..." Sold. I ran out to buy one THAT DAY, and I haven't been sorry.

This little powerhouse machine has two modes (floss and massage), in addition to the 10 pressure levels, and comes with 7 interchangeable water flosser tips, perfect for braces (which I don't have) and implants (which I do).

One of my favorite features, however, is the on/off pause switch in the handle since it does take some coordination to not spray the entire bathroom when you're getting started.

The claims on the box say it's "clinically proven up to 50% more effective for improving gum health vs. string floss." I believe it. Especially since my hygienist and my dentist have been very happy with me ever since.

Easily breakable parts

Comments about Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser:

This water flosser works really well, but there are parts on it that broke and now continue to break every month or so. For example, the most bothersome piece is the plastic part that holds the handle. It broke after about 2 weeks and now we have to super glue it regularly. We're not rough on it, it just is wet ALL THE TIME so the glue has a short life. Aside from the parts that break, it really gets the job done.

Messy, But Effective

Comments about Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser:

I received the WaterPik Ultra Water Flosser for Christmas this year. For most people, flossing is not a very fun task, so I was excited to try something new for my flossing routine.

There were a lot of different options to use with the kit, but I have just been using the basic option to floss.

The base takes up quite a bit of my counter space in my bathroom, but the actual flosser has a cord attached to it that winds back into the base very neatly which is like a lot. Plus the unit looks nice and clean, so it doesn't look much like clutter.

Using the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser is actually quite enjoyable. I like the feeling of the water massaging my gums and my teeth feel really clean after using it. You have to be careful not to spray the water in other parts of your mouth because it can sting a little.

I recommend getting the bigger tank version because the water doesn't last very long. When you first start out, you have to get used to using the flosser. When I first did it, water sprayed everywhere as it bounced off of my teeth, so I had to learn to keep my mouth mostly closed. If you keep your mouth totally closed it will fill with water quickly. I end up keeping my face down in the sink the whole time. If you have a bad back you may have trouble using this without getting messy.

Another disadvantage of this product is that it is noisy. If anyone in the house has gone to bed, I can't use it because the product makes a lot of noise while it's in use.

Overall, because of how clean my teeth feel, I completely recommend this product.

Wow, this is an amazing product!

Comments about Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser:

My mom was raving to me about this waterpik for at least a year before I actually paid any attention. It just sounded like a unnecessary step in my oral hygiene routine and I did not think I would use it. I would have never purchased one for myself until she got me this ultra water flosser for my birthday last year and insisted that I give it a try. The first time I plugged it in and tried it out, I choked myself with the water because I didn't know how to properly use it. Then I tried again and doused myself as well as my bathroom mirror and countertop with more water. After realizing what I was doing wrong I gave it another go. Wow, talk about amazing flossing power! It felt so powerful, like I was irrigating out my mouth. The water pressure on this is very good and gives you a deep clean. I could not just how good this thing gets between your teeth and cleans your gums, as well as stimulates them, which is so good for you. I use mine daily now, and like to add a little bit of baking soda to the water occasionally.

Great addition to dental care

Comments about Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser:

My husband's dentist recommended this to him, and we have been very happy with our purchase. I like that there are different settings that can be adjusted to your comfort level. I haven't used any of the special attachments because I'm satisfied with using just the standard tip. I am amazed after brushing and flossing at how much cleaner my teeth feel after using the water pik. I definitely recommend using warm water as it is much more comfortable than a blast of cold water on your gums. The only downside to the product is that it can be a little messy if you're not careful. You need to bend over so your mouth is directly over the sink. It's not a big deal but the packaging is a little deceptive as it pictures a person standing upright using it. You have to be careful to not turn the power dial up too much as it can be a little rough on your gums. I appreciate that both my husband and I can use the same device with separate attachments.

Comments about Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser:

I have had my Waterpik for years. I have never had any problems with it. It's easy to use and only takes a few minutes to make sure your teeth and gums are clean. I use it twice a day morning and night.I love the feeling of the water cleaning around my gums and between my teeth. I hate to have anything stuck between my teeth and this product works 10 times better than floss for me. Mine came with different tips to change and a brush to brush your teeth with.You can purchase refills for it. It has a speed setting so you can control the flow of water and an on/off switch that makes it easy to use. In between Dentist visits I believe this product works the best for keeping your gums and teeth clean and feeling fresh. I believe it has helped me from having cavities and gum problems. It's reasonably priced and if mine ever broke I would have to purchase another one right away because this is one product that I use everyday.

My Dentist recommended this great product!

from Guilford, CT

Comments about Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser:

As a person who unfortunately inherited bad teeth, I have to take extra steps to maintain good dental health. I am very dedicated about practicing good dental hygiene now and like to try any product that helps me doing so. My dentist first recommended the Water Pik Dental Jet as a great tool in helping flossing and effectively cleaning out the spaces between my teeth to prevent gingivitis in my gums. The Water Pik machine uses water channeling through the little attachment similar to that of the tools they use at the dentist's office. It effectively flushes out any food or particles with the water. You can adjust the pressure of how hard the water comes out as well too. The only negative thing I can say is that the product takes up quite a bit of counter space because of the size of water container part of the unit. Overall, this is a great product to use in conjunction with regular flossing and brushing. I also find that my toddler enjoys the sensation of flossing with the Water Pik.

Mouth feels CLEAN!

from Herndon, VA

Comments about Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser:

My fiance' picked up this Waterpik water flosser for us at Costco. Pretty cool. I hate flossing, so I was excited about this.
Did some reading, and found it the water flosser does NOT take the place of flossing. You still need to floss in order to really get in between the tight spaces of your teeth. Bummer.
However, I decided to give this a try anyway. It still has a lot of merit, particularly from removing plaque and food particles from along the gum line.
It comes with an Orthodontic tip, which is best for braces and general use. A Pik Pocket tip, which is best for Periodontal pockets and furcations, A Plaque Seeker Tip, which is best for Implants, Crowns, Bridges and General Use, and also a Toothbrush tip and Tongue cleaner.
The machine is very very easy to set up and use. The directions are simple, you basically add water and prime the handheld water pik.
It comes with settings of 1-10, with 1 being the most gentle and 10 being the most stronger. If your gums aren't used to flossing, you'd need to start with a very gentle setting to begin with, or your gums will be sore afterwards, and possibly even bleed a little. I used setting 3, and felt a little mild soreness after.
My mouth felt cleaner and my teeth looked better after one use. I'm pretty impressed! I plan to try to use this 3 times a week.
One drawback, the water resevoir seems to empy quickly, making me believe I"ll have to add replacement water after each use. During use, your mouth feels up with water pretty quickly, making the user have to pause and spit pretty often during the treatment. I didn't like that. Would be better if the flow of water had a little less volume. Oh well. Still seems very effective in cleaning and freshening up my gum line. Glad I got it. Make sure to brush first, or the water won't taste so good when you use the Waterpik. I also used a little mouthwash beforehand too. Good luck!

Does not replace floss

Comments about Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser:

I got the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser when I got braces as a way to replace being able to floss my teeth the traditional way with floss. I have to say, I was extremely grateful and excited when my braces were removed so that I could use regular floss again. Although the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser could remove some things from my braces and between my teeth, it was not very good for the back morals and also not very effective with things that were really stuck in between my teeth. Meat, pieces of orange, and popcorn kernels are all examples of food items that the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser could not remove every well. I would usually end up having to get a toothpick for those things. It also did not work well with keeping my gum line healthy and raised to where it should be. The Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser is an okay product for the little things, but it is not as effective as just using regular floss.

Great flosser without the pain.

Comments about Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser:

I went in for a dental cleaning in November 2013. My dental tech asked me the all important question ,do you floss. My answer was yes, I do with my regular floss. She told me that the floss I was using was not doing a good job of getting between the teeth. I had left over buildup even with regular flossing daily. She recommended the Waterpik flosser. I went home and did my research on Waterpik's main website. On the website it showed me the difference between regular flossin and the waterpik The waterpik beat regular flossing by almost ten times better. I brought this product in December and I have had awesome results. I have no bleeding and no pain which I had to deal with using the regular floss. I went back for a follow up exam with the dental tech. She was amazed at how much better my gums looked. My gums are healthy again thanks to the waterpik flosser. I would recommend this product to any one that is tired of regular floss.