Other Pacifiers & Teethers:
The First Years Soothie Pacifier

The First Years Soothie Pacifier

Pros

Cons

I have never met a baby who did not like these pacifiers

As a healthcare provider for new mother's and infants, and a breastfeeding advocate, I am natually inclined to not support the use pf pacifiers.  Some infants however, have an overwhelming need to suck, and this can be quite uncomfortable for new mom learning to breastfeed.  This is how the soothie pacifier can help.  Once a mother has identified the difference between the desire to eat and the desire to suck, ( No, babies do not always want to eat when they ellicit the rooting reflex) a soothie pacifier can be used to "save the day."

I have never met a baby who did not like the soothie pacifiers, from preemie's to 6 month old infants, and beyond, I feel it is the #1 preferred pacifier by babies.  The newborn or green soothies can be used for quite a while and then you may transition to the pink or blue Super soothies which are for older babies, but a lot of babies do not like these stiffer, thicker pacifiers.  They can be sterilized and used over and over and over again.  The soothie line of pacifiers also are not too costly and pack well in any pacifier pod or carry case.  If you are lucky enough to find the packaging with the carrying case, snatch it up, as the company discontinued making the cases, but they are my favroite soothie accessory, as you can always have 2 spare soothies ready to go in your diaper bag, clean and neat in their little carrying container.

Soothie pacifier not so soothing...

I had my daughter and I first learned about Soothie pacifiers when the nurse brought her to my room after she was born with a pacifier (that I had specifically asked NOT to be used) in her mouth! I found this extremely frustrating and was under the impression that they had been holding it in her mouth as they did all the things they do to babies when they whisk them away after birth! She was immediately hooked on that pacifier but was unable to keep it in her mouth on her own! I thought the nipple of the pacifier was rather long.. especially for a newborn child! (These same pacifiers actually gagged my son when you put it in his mouth and he was larger than my daughter!) So I found myself constantly holding this pacifier in her mouth as I rocked her, cuddled with her or tried to get her to sleep! And no other pacifier was satisfactory to her! I would ensure the binky stayed in her mouth during naptime when I would wrap the swaddling blanket around just the very bottom of the rim! However this made me paranoid and I was afraid to walk out of site and I definetely would NEVER leave her to sleep that way over night! So I was still caught fighting to sooth her with this specific pacifier! After about 2 months she gave it up and moved on the pacifiers made for older children and she now uses these for her babydolls! I would not recommend these for first time pacifier users or any small children with a sensitive gag reflex! Also, be ready to teach them how to use this pacifier! The hole in the middle was very helpful, I will say that! Then I could just put my index finger in the pacifier to help hold it in place! However there was no clip attachment and animal hair was attracted to these things, I swear!

A Lifesaver for First-time Moms and Their Little Ones!

Comments about The First Years Soothie Pacifier:

While I was pregnant, I was adamant that my little one would not use a pacifier. I quickly stood corrected as soon as my son was born. He was born at 5 p.m., I served as a human pacifier all morning long...all of those wee hours of the morning! I was aggravated that the hospital in which I delivered did not offer us any sample pacifiers. In the meantime, we had to wear the nurse's disposable gloves and let my little one suck on our fingers... It was the only relief from crying and sore breasts that I could get! My mom quickly bought some Soothies because she had used similar pacifiers for my brother and me. Thank goodness, because these were the ONLY pacifiers that my son would take! Once he got older (around 4 months), he no longer took Soothies, so we had to switch styles. But the relief these pacifiers brought me in the first few months of my son's life has made me forever a fan of them!

We own 10!

Comments about The First Years Soothie Pacifier:

Finding a pacifier for your child can be a very expensive journey. Luckily, we were given a soothie at the hospital and our daughter started using it to help her sleep at a very young age. We've bought more, as she also enjoyed them I. Later toddler years to simply chew on for molars and teething. We felt safe letting her use these due to the materials used and hoe her teeth could not damage the soothie what so ever. As a comfort item, the soothie has been I. Every car, purse, bed, etc. We sanitize with a bottle warmer or boiling water.
The soothie brand is also used with another brand that sews them onto a small stuffed animal. This was our daughters #1 comfort item. Combining the comfort of a soothie with a soft animal made her relax and sleep.
These are indestructible! Easy to clean with one mold rather than parts joining, so no mold spots. After 2 years of use, they still look new enough to clean up and pass down. We also enjoyed the variety of colors to purchase. We went with pink to differntiate our daughters from her friends at daycare.

The Only Pacifier My Children Would Use As Babies!

Comments about The First Years Soothie Pacifier:

In the city I live in, when a baby is born, the mother is asked if she would like her child to have a pacifier. If the answer is yes, the baby receives receives The First Years pacifier; pink for girls and green for boys, although there are other colors available at local mass merchandising stores. There are so many positives I can touch on with this pacifier, but a few pertain to the texture, shape, and "nipple" size. It's important, especially to beast feeding mothers like myself, to have a soothie that best represents an actual nipple that can be used to comfort your child between feedings. What is special about this pacifier is that the "nipple part of the product allows for the child/parent to place their finger safely into the back to hold the pacifier in place. This came in handy when a parents needs to multitask with a particular fussy child, in co-sleeping situations, or teaching your baby to self-soothe. The only negative I have with this product is that when dropped it tends to bounce long distances, due to the texture, making them easily lost. I am a mother of two and I have attempted to try other brands of pacifiers and my children would not take any besides this product. I think that says a lot about this pacifier.

The only binkie my daughter will take!

Comments about The First Years Soothie Pacifier:

The hospital gave us two of the soothie binkies. My daughter loves them! They are the only binkie she will take. The nipple isn't too big or too small and doesn't cover her nose. She won't go to sleep if there isn't a soothie in her mouth. When she's screaming and I can't figure out what's wrong, I just give her her soothie binkie and its all okay! It saved me my sanity so many times! I was thrilled when I found out that you could buy them outside of the hospital. They only give out ugly green ones at the hospital and my daughter is a diva and needed a pink one! It was only three fifty on amazon.com. They even make soothie bottles although they're a little more pricey. They're definitely worth checking out though. They do just what they say; sooth the baby! Only thing I recommend is a binkie clip since I find it very easy to lose these binkies! Also please always clean these binkies after dropping them or atleast twice a week.

my favorite pacifiers

Comments about The First Years Soothie Pacifier:

We have always used these pacifiers with all three of our children. We tried different kinds with our first child hut always went back to these. With our third child we tried other pacifiers again but she would only take Soothies. I especially love that they have th pink and purple ones for Girls.

Work okay, but just not cute!

Comments about The First Years Soothie Pacifier:

The hospital gave us a Soothie pacifier after the birth of my daughter, and it worked fine, and they were never her favorite pacifier. Also, from a purely aesthetic point of view though, these just aren't cute.

I mostly used Avent pacifiers with her just because it was easy to transition since she was using Avent bottles, but had a few Soothies on hand since the hospital was giving them out. They look like a bottle nipple with a round disc attached. Nothing spectacular, but they do the job.

Only pacifiers we use

Comments about The First Years Soothie Pacifier:

My son was a very fussy baby. When he was 3 months old, my sister suggested we try out these pacifiers. We had tried others in the past and he would give us this look like we were choking him! We decided to give these pacifiers a shot and the results were incredible! He took to them immediately. We keep them on hand when we travel, go for car rides, and when he sleeps. He finds them to be very soothing. Another nice thing about these pacifiers is that the rim is great for the babies to chew on while they are teething. The rim of the pacifier is thick enough for the baby to chew on without falling apart. That being said, I would advise that you switch out the pacifiers to the thicker ones once your baby gets teeth. The thin ones are great when they are little but they can bite little holes in them once their teeth start coming in.
These pacifiers were the only ones my son will use and I recommend them to everyone who has a baby.

Good first pacifier.

Comments about The First Years Soothie Pacifier:

The hospital gave us 2 of those for our newborn daughter and that's what we have been using so far. She likes it alright - my only issue is that it doesn't stay in her mouth. My doctor mentioned today that NUK stays in the mouth better because of its shape so I just purchased some of we will try them out shortly.

Only Binky for My Baby

from Greensburg, PA

Comments about The First Years Soothie Pacifier:

I am an Anti Binky mom, but the doctors said some babys just need to suck and this natural shape of this binky should not interfer with nursing.  My little girl HATED other pacifers, this was the only brand she liked.  My only complaint is the cat hair sticks to it because of the material it is made of.

Lifesaver!!

from Bethlehem, PA

Comments about The First Years Soothie Pacifier:

I have to admit, I was never one to give out pacifiers. My fifth child was the one who drove me to using one. She spent close to a week wanting to nurse constantly, and I just couldn't handle it anymore. One day when my dh came home with a "nunner" and she took right to it. Let me sleep at night and gave me some peace. We've managed to lose about a dozen so far, but luckily we can now find them at our grocery store.