3.9
Other E-commerce Websites:
Home and Garden Websites, Computers and Electronics Websites

3.9

Ordering Business Supplies for Little Cost

Searching for places to buy office supplies on- line has led me to some good and not so good places. I have used most of the popular store sites, like staples.com, officedepot.com, and others and I have generally had good experiences with all of them. But I'm the type who likes to try new things and my curiosity has led me to a new site for this type of product: **Quill.com**, a web service for buying office supplies and more. **Web Site Commentary:** One thing that is a little different about Quill.com is that it asks new customers to supply company information in order to establish a new account. You are asked for your company name, total employees at your location, type of business, and the year your company was established. If you are setting up a personal account, don't worry- you can use your first and last name for the company name. But the other pieces of information about your company must be filled in, even if you are making a personal purchase. I found this a little weird because most web sites will not ask you for this type of information unless you specify that you are setting up a business account. The main reason Quill.com asks for this company information is because it is a popular web service for businesses. A quick glance at the specialty product section confirms this. Quill.com sells library supplies; construction paper, planners, easels and other like products for schools; 1099 and w-2 forms; first aid supplies and medical kits; and so on. This makes Quill.com a little different from other sites because not only does it sell the usual supplies one expects in a service like this one (copy paper, pens, staplers, ink cartridges, etc.) it also sells products that are more business specific. Quill.com has a fairly clean home page that lists the main categories of merchandise across the top with a few large images to click on to take advantage of special offers. Products can be searched by navigating through the different categories or by using the search function. The navigational structure of the site is workable and efficient- not the best I have ever seen but certainly not the worst. And the selection is pretty good. The selection is greatest in the common purchase categories like the paper products. The selection is less abundant in categories like technology. Shipping and handling can add a substantial amount to your order if it is less than, say, $20 or so because at this level, Quill.com will add shipping and processing fees to your order, increasing the total bill by thirty percent or more. This is why I recommend not using this service at all unless your order is $45 (this figure could change any time, so always check before you assume) or greater. At this point, you pay no shipping charges or processing fees, helping to keep costs to a minimum. Any order received by 6pm is shipped by Quill.com on that day. So, depending on where you live, you should receive your package in the mail in only two or three days. At the end of your order, Quill.com will give you an estimated time range in which to expect your merchandise to arrive and you have a full ninety days (with some exceptions, like for electronics, software, and computers) to return defective merchandise. One thing that gets a little annoying with Quill.com is the constant "encouragement" to get you to buy more things. After each item is added to your cart, Quill.com quickly presents another page with other, related things to buy. You can easily click the "no thanks" icon at the bottom of the page and proceed. But this constant pushiness can get a little old after a while because it displays almost every time you add something to your cart.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Overall, Quill.com is a web site I recommend. It offers good prices with per unit bulk discounts (remember- it caters mainly to business purchases), some nice user- friendly extra features, and a quick check- out process. Items are delivered in a timely manner for no added cost as long as you purchase at least $45 worth of merchandise. Plenty of sale offers exist, too, making Quill.com a nice place to shop for your office supply needs.

Stock availability is not reliable.

On the homepage of quill.com, you'll be enticed w/ Fast Free Shipping No Minimum indicated there. Before my first purchase, I checked out website reviews and found several people unhappy w/ the speed of delivery, claiming that they waited ages for their order to arrive. I called to ask their Customer Service about it, and they said the product I'm interested in is not in back-order status, therefore I shouldn't encounter this problem. On the product page, you'll be attracted to the ETA dates expecting your order will be arriving quickly. After checkout. I got an order confirmation email w/ the same ETA I saw on the product page. But the day before the ETA, I found it strange that my order status was still "processing". To my disappointment, they only checked the actual status after I made a followup call, only to find out that it was a back-order. Since that followup call 14 days ago, I still have not received my order, and they have no idea if it will indeed be back in stock. Got an email saying the second ETA due to back-order is again postponed. NOT HAPPY!

Random mix of office supplies

from Utah

Comments about Quill.com:

I first went to Quill.com looking for paper and ink for a printer, expecting them to have normal office supplies. But they have taken office supplies to a whole new level. Buying paper clips and manila envelopes has never gotten me excited, but when I can shop for other office necessities that Staples doesn't have (such as coffee and snacks!), it makes the experience much more exciting.

Product Selection
My favorite thing about this site is being able to shop for all office necessities (including food) in one place.

Shipping and Returns
Free shipping is offered on orders of $25 or more, which is lower than many other sites. I have found it easier to reach this plateau thanks to their wide selection of products. If I'm simply buying a pack of envelopes or a ream or two of paper, I would need to pay shipping. But when I can throw in things like coffee filters and cookies that I can buy elsewhere, it helps me reach the $25 plateau and be able to save on shipping.

• Product Selection:
  • Product Pricing:
  • Customer Service:
  • Shipping and Returns:

Comments about Quill.com:

I use this website to order office supplies for the company I work for. They have great prices, a little lower or around the same prices as their competitors. They deliver everything to you, and the delivery is fast. There is a person that will unload from their delivery truck, bring it to your home/office and unload it where you ask them to. They are very friendly, and the customer service department is wonderful. I have had to return/exchange a few things several times, and there is no hassle to do this. I am very happy with this company and would highly recommend it to anyone that has to order office supplies.

The website is very easy to use.

Product Selection
Lots of products to choose from.

Product Pricing
Great prices.

Customer Service
They are very friendly and helpful with whatever you may need.

Shipping and Returns
The shipping is fast, and the delivery person is very friendly. The returns/exchange process is very easy to do and is hassle free.

• Product Selection:
  • Product Pricing:
  • Customer Service:
  • Shipping and Returns:

Best Prices on Dunder Mifflin and Home Office Supplies

from Boynton Beach, FL

Comments about Quill.com:

I have been in the position to order office supplies for both home and small businesses and Quill.com offers the best prices on the most often used supplies, like copy paper and ink. They keep their prices competitive, and I have found that the quality of the Quill branded products is top-notch. Every penny counts when you are running a business or a household.

Quill.com offers free shipping on every order, every day. They also offer fun brand name gifts, like Dooney and Burke bags, or Cake Boss baking tools, when you purchase certain things, and you can always find some surprising thing that you didn't even know you wanted in their clearance and sale departments. I often find things for the classroom and my students at excellent prices.

If you're a fan of The Office, you'll be interested to know that you can purchase Dunder Mifflin paper supplies from Quill.com. Seriously.

Has some good deals for home and office supplies

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Quill.com:

Although Quill.com is advertised as an office supply store or website, many of these same supplies can be used by people in their homes such as basic kitchen and bathroom supplies. Quill often has discounts for coffee or paper towels for example. The only downside is that you often have to buy things in bulk because it is packaged for an office so it is expected to be for a larger number of people. This can be a pro or con depending on the deal and type of product that is on sale. You also sometimes have to spend a certain amount, for example $50, in order to get free shipping. So it's definitely not for someone who just wants to buy a single item in a small quantity. But if you like to buy things in bulk and can find some items that you need, Quill.com is great when there are deals. I haven't had problems with any of my orders and received them as expected. I don't order from them often, but would recommend them.

Great place to buy paper towels!

from Chino, CA

Comments about Quill.com:

When you think of Quill, you mainly think of office supplies such as paper, pens, boxes, etc. However, I was able to find a good deal on paper towels and toilet paper a few times. After all, every office bathroom needs paper towels and toilet paper too right? Their prices are just average on a daily basis for these paper products, but it is a good deal when they go on sale. Furthermore, they have free shipping on every order, no matter how small! That's incredible, especially when you don't want to make such a large order just to fulfill a certain threshold to get free shipping. Other websites charge a lot for shipping of paper towels and toilet paper because the package is so large. Otherwise, you would have to order a certain amount just to get free shipping. I got my order very quickly, within 2 business days after ordering so I was pleasantly surprised. Usually free shipping usually translates to slow shipping.

One of the best

from Ellerslie GA

Comments about Quill.com:

I have to say that I have been ordering office supplies from Quill and Quill dot com for many many years now. Probably a good fifteen years I have been a customer and they have really never let me down. I actually started purchasing from Quill office supplies when it was just a catalog company and I had not even discovered them on the internet yet. I worked in a small law office and this is where we ordered all of our supplies. The one thing I love about Quill and Quill dot com is that they actually carry more than just office supplies such as paper and envelopes and pens but they have everything from cleaning supplies to kitchen supplies and coffee room supplies. They have energy thing you need for the bathroom. They even have snacks and stuff for the break room. They have ways been very reliable and I still use them to this day. I always get my order when promised. This is a great company and I plan to use them for years to come.

Quill is ok sometimes

from Alexandria, OH

Comments about Quill.com:

My work has an account with Quill, so we can purchase from them and have it billed to us - which is not usual for an online office supply company like this. The customer service team calls us every once in a while to see if we're ok, and we get fantastic coupons from time to time that makes all the difference in whether we use quill or some other service. Most of the time, the items are shipped very quickly. Back-ordered items are reported to us accurately, with great time estimates. What I like is the customer reviews sections and the descriptions. Also, the navigation on this site is very easy. What I don't like are the base prices - you have to order a lot of quantities to get the kind of prices that I can sometimes find in amazon.com or ebay - if the prices come close to comparing at all. I have to say, though, that the paper colors are as described, and what you get is what you see.

from Newburgh, NY

Comments about Quill.com:

Three years ago I started ordering my office and school supplies from Quill.com to get faster home delivery in a residential area. I found Quill.com to be very competitive in comparison to Staples and Office Depot. The website is very easy to navigate and they do offer a lot of private label products that are of great value. Typically once you place an order with Quill.com the order is shipped within 24 to 48 hours. Quill.com has a reputable reputation in the business community and I would highly recommend them for the small business person. In recent years Quill.com has increased the electronic technology department to offer a variety of brand name manufacturer. This past spring I order a laser printer and laptop from Quill.com at a great sale price. The customer service department is able to chat with you online to answer any question you may have about a product.

Stock availability is not reliable.

Comments about Quill.com:

I should have stayed with Tried and True, Amazon.com!

Comments about Quill.com:

There is a reason that Amazon.com is a breed apart from anyone else in online retailing, there are NO execuses, only RESULTS. Quill.com is simply pathatic. The only reason that I left Amazon and came to this site was that they offered $100.00 discount on office furniture. Otherwise, for the item that I was interested, the price was identical and shipping was free. The poor bastards must resort to this types of promotions to get traffic to their site. So far I have received contradictory information from their customer service every time I called them since their web site crashes everytime I try to get tracking info and status on my item. I have concluded that it is their MO and that is the way it is. I am not sure if I will get my item at this point. There is no way in hell I will ever go to these pathetic losers again. Amazon.com, forgive me, I will never make the same mistake again.