Other Baby Riding Toys:
Gross Motor Development, Riding Toys, Walking toy
Playskool
Playskool Busy Basics Step Start Walk N Ride

Playskool Busy Basics Step Start Walk N Ride

Pros

• Durable (3)
  • Easy to assemble (3)
  • Fun (3)

• Indoors (3)
  • Small children (3)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Parent of two or more children (3)
    • No (3)

The Playskoot Step Start Walk 'n Ride is Great for Development

I bought our baby daughter the Playskool Explore 'N Grow Step Start Walk 'n Ride as a Christmas present this past year.  Yes, it is indeed a mouthful to say the whole product name, but let's just call in a Playskool Walk 'n Ride.  The reason that the toy works (and has worked) so well is that it has multiple functions, and starts out as a teaching tool, but later evolves into a riding toy that gets used for fun.  Our baby wasn't walking yet when I bought her this gift, with the primary idea being that it would help make the task of walking a little bit more fun for her.  We ended up having two walkers in the house at the same time, and she has enjoyed using both this one and the Radio Flyer one that we have.

Out of the box, there is definitely some assembly necessary to put this walker together.  It only takes about 15 to 20 minutes, because the toy comes in a lot of different pieces.  Not only that, but there are many accessories that get added to the walker that make it much more interesting for your baby or toddler.  On the front there is a little hood that opens, there is a spinning drum on the handle that makes noise, there is a clicking gear shift, and then there is also a dial that they can turn while they are in motion.  Of course the first attraction to the toy is going to be the use of bright colors, with ours having a blue top and a green undercarriage.

While the baby is learning how to walk, the Playskool Walk 'n Ride locks into place as a walker so that they can get a feeling for walking with the aide of the toy.  The wheels only roll slowly, so they have to put a little bit of force behind the push to get it going.  The Toy is very sturdy as well, so you don't have to worry about the toy crashing.  You should though, expect the baby to crash on their bottom a couple of times when they are learning to use any walker.  When the baby is old enough to switch toy uses, the top part snaps down and locks into place, making this a riding toy for them to use.  It's a great double-use for this toy, and makes it one that will keep the interest of your child for a long time.  Our baby loves this one, and we are very happy that we purchased it for her.

The Playskool Walk N Ride is mediocre

I bought the Playskool Step Start Walk N Ride for my daughter's first birthday; she was turning out to be a late walker and I wanted something to help and encourage her to walk. I chose the Walk N Ride because of its cheerful colors and because I loved the fact that it was a 2-in-1 toy that can be used as both a walker and a ride-on toy. However, it is neither a great walker nor a great ride-on; overall, this toy is mediocre at best.

We opened it up and assembled it; assembly took a few minutes and wasn't too difficult. It is easy to switch between the walking and riding modes. We set it up as a walker and offered it to the baby. The Walk N Ride is not a stable walking toy. The wheels are extremely slippery on hard floors; it offered almost no support to her, because the wheels were rolling away so quickly. It has a tendency to fall over because it is top-heavy and the wheels are in an awkward position for walking, they sort of get in the way of the baby's feet. My daughter was never able to use it until she started walking on her own; then she liked to push it around occasionally. But as a toy to encourage walking - forget about it.

It's a little better as a riding toy; my daughter loves the car look, likes sitting on it, and likes pulling the various levers and other bits and bobs. However, as a ride-on, this toy is very close to the ground, so it's not lasting very well; I am sure she will outgrow it before she learns to push herself around very well.

Fun

from Usa

About Me Parent Of Two Or More Children

Pros

• Durable
  • Easy To Assemble
  • Fun

Comments about Playskool Busy Basics Step Start Walk N Ride:

My daughter received this as a Christmas gift thanks it's very fun and also taught her how to walk I would definitely recommend this there's lots for them to do on it plus they can ride on it it works better on a smooth surface but can be used outdoors in the grass I will definitely be getting it again for my son once he's a little bit older

My son loves it

from Sarra Baptist

About Me Parent Of Two Or More Children, Stay At Home Parent

Pros

• Durable
    • Easy To Assemble
    • Fun
    • Safe

Comments about Playskool Busy Basics Step Start Walk N Ride:

I bought this for my son to help him start walking he's such a busy body and gets bored easily I can honestly say he is occupied for a long time since we got this for him I love it turns into a little ride on toy too it's very easy to use and to change from the seat to stand up position the little toys attached are an added bonus very great product

Great For Learning to Walk

from Park falls, wi

About Me Parent Of Two Or More Children

Pros

• Durable
      • Easy To Assemble
      • Fun
      • Safe

• Outdoors

Comments about Playskool Busy Basics Step Start Walk N Ride:

This seriously taught my baby how to walk! It is amazing to help them get moving. Just make sure to be by them at all times because they will tip over :) but it is so worth purchasing!

Wonderful toy

from Boise, ID

Comments about Playskool Busy Basics Step Start Walk N Ride:

I was recently told to purchase this walking toy for a friend for her little girl. They had wanted to get a walker for their daughter, but because of her having Spina Bifida they were told there were not many options available for their little girl. Her physical therapist recommended a walking toy like this one and I bought it for her. The baby was so happy that she had something to not only play with, but to also help with her walking. I have noticed that since she got this walker that it has improved her walking ability and has done so with out the baby really realizing that she is having to "work" at it. Her physical therapist told the babies mom and dad that she recommended this walking toy for that same reason. It would help strengthn muscles with out the child really knowing that she was having to do any extra work. She is loving this toy and her parents are as well, for that reason.

Great for young walkers

from Utah

Comments about Playskool Busy Basics Step Start Walk N Ride:

Someone gave us one of these when our younger son was just starting to pull up on things and try to take a few steps. It is great for teaching balance and giving a child something that moves with them to try to learn to walk. The wheels enable it to move smoothly, although they sometimes get the whole thing moving too fast for small legs to keep up and the child ends up losing his balance. The top also flips up, so it can be either a walker or a small car to sit and ride on (whether pushed by someone else or else pulled along by the child's own legs). The seat is low enough and wide enough for the child to sit comfortably and have his feet reach the floor. The front wheels are placed closer together than the back wheels, so there is less danger of the child getting his foot caught in the front wheels. There are several switches and buttons to push or spin that can make different sounds. They are attractive to the child, and they help with fine motor skills.

Pretty entertaining push/ride on toy.

Comments about Playskool Busy Basics Step Start Walk N Ride:

The Playskool Busy Basics Step Start Walk N Ride toy was given to us as a gift. Both of our children have played with it. If a baby is just starting to pull up, this toy can tip over pretty easily. Also, if they aren't too steady on their feet, when they are pushing it, it can tip over fairly easy as well. So we kept the toy in the sitting position until our children got steady on their feet, then we changed it to a pushing toy. Our children never seemed very interested in riding it by themselves. They always wanted someone to push them. It seemed that the wheels were kind of in the way for their feet to get traction. The activities on it are intriguing to children. My oldest daughter still hides things in the "hood" of the car for safe keeping. The gas cap etc are fun and so is the spin thing on the back. The quality is great as it has stood up to two children and staying mostly on our covered front porch. The stickers look a little rough from the weather, but the toy is in great shape still. Our children have had a lot of fun with this toy despite not using it as one would think.

the walk n ride was a great tool to teach my kids

from Mabelvale, AR

Comments about Playskool Busy Basics Step Start Walk N Ride:

thiks taught both my kids to walk then it turned into a toy to ride on they actually played with this toy for a while. We also use this toy at my church we use it in the nursery and the toddler room. The kids all love it. We only have one at the moment I think we will have to get more so we do not have arguments on who gets to ride it next

versatile walk/ride toy

from Stone Mountain, GA

Comments about Playskool Busy Basics Step Start Walk N Ride:

we received this playskool busy basics step start walk n ride as a birthday present for our one year old son. he had already learned to walk but still liked to play with it using the walking function and banging into walls, furniture etc... once he and his older brother realized it could be used as a ride on toy too they had the best time using this and the other ride on toy we have to chase each other around the house and our backyard. now our daughter is playing with it and having just as much fun as her older brother. i would definitely recommend this toy as it is fun and very robust as we are on our third child with this.

Helps with learning to walk

from Herriman, UT

Comments about Playskool Busy Basics Step Start Walk N Ride:

I received this toy as a gift for my son and I am so glad that we were given it. It really helped my son learn to walk. He was so nervous when he didn't have anything to hold on to and so this came at a prefect time. I like that it doesn't go to fast for the toddlers as some of the walking toys do and then it is fun for them to ride on and spin the toys as well.

great basic toy!!!

from Marquette, MI

Comments about Playskool Busy Basics Step Start Walk N Ride:

Love playschool toys!!! Wow this one is truly amazing and helped my little girl walk within 2 months.... I know there are similar toys out there int he market but this one realyl kicked butt for us!!! I love the basic curves and how there are no sharp edges unlike some of the other toys. This is a great basic that many children have leraned to walk with and I cant reate if high enough other then 4 or 5 stars!! This toy is simply amazing and my little girl would always play with the toys that ocme on the front f it... its teaches them open and close and all the different bright colors really help them out s well. I see this toy at many consignment sores so you could easily re sell this toy or put it in a garage sale to get your money back. THe price is a little high but then again you can re sell this since its such a great toy!! Highly recommend this to any parent out there or for grandparents house!!