Other Cooking Tools & Gadgets:
Pampered Chef Food Chopper

Pampered Chef Food Chopper

Pros

Cons

An indispensible and flexible gadget for your kitchen

This is an item I picked up at one of those annoying home shows!  It's a food chopper.  The demo was performed using just walnuts, but over the years I've used it for so much more.  It's basically a handle that you slam or press down, which releases blades into a guarded compartment.  Anything in the compartment gets chopped, minced or pulverized.  It comes apart into three pieces and is dishwasher safe, so you'll always get all the "gunk" out.  The handles and container are plastic and the blades are stainless steel.  The only things that haven't fared well using this item (at least that I've tried) are really ripe vegetables or fruits like tomatoes and peaches, ice cubes, and soft items like fresh bread.  Overall, I think it's a handy tool to have around, and is easy to maintain and care for.

I do a better job at chopping food than this thing does!

I personally don't like our Pampered Chef Food Chopper but my wife likes it. I feel it is easier and better when I chop the food myself. Though I do use the rubber thing on the bottom to form hamburger patties from fresh ground beef. I do not think it was ever intended to used for that purpose but it makes making uniformed patties easy. My wife says they are the perfect size and thickness. So that is why I did not rate this lower. I am getting use out of it but just not for what it was made for doing. Besides I can chop a whole onion by had faster than my wife can chop one in this thing and there is less to clean afterwards. I think this came from the same person who gave us the pampered chef pizza stuff. Stuff from somewhere else would have been just as good and a lot cheaper. All pampered chef products are more expensive and you really don't get anything better. Why waste money on this when you can just chop yourself and if you are that lazy buy one that is cheaper than this one if you truly must do that.

The Pampered Chef chopper saves me time.

Comments about Pampered Chef Food Chopper:

The Pampered Chef chopper does a great job of chopping veggies and nuts quickly and with much less mess than when using a cutting board. The chopper is the same good quality that Pampered Chef is known for. While a little pricey compared to other choppers it is worth it because it does last. I have had mine for several years.

I do find the blades a little cumbersome to clean depending on what I am chopping. Sometimes I have to clean them by hand before putting the chopper in the dishwasher. It is handy to be able to wash the chopper in the dishwasher.

I have had my chopper for several years and it has stood up well. I do wash it in the dishwasher and that does not seem to affect the longevity.

The chopper comes apart easily for cleaning. I do find the blades sometimes a problem to clean if I chop something sticky. The chopper handle is easy to use and the blades do a good job of chopping.

Makes chopping easy, but not perfect

Comments about Pampered Chef Food Chopper:

I got a Pampered Chef Food Chopper about 10+ years ago and still have it. It works by putting food inside the clear cylinder area at the bottom and then patting/pushing the top of the stem down with your palm, which lowers the stainless blades and rotates them with each chop. The size of the chopped product is not uniform, but close. It doesn't matter to me, except when chopping walnuts because by dicing them, there seems to be a lot of walnut "dust" mixed with the end product.

I use the chopper periodically, but mostly during holiday baking. I like it because I can chop with the cap on the end, keeping it all self contained, so I don't need a cutting board. Although, I also use it directly on a cutting board without the cap. I love using it to chop onions, because I can avoid the watery eyes and sniffle reaction to the onions.

If I do a lot of chopping with a hard food, like nuts or frozen cranberries, then the palm of my hand gets sore and tired from patting the top of the chopper. The top of the stem is a smaller diameter than some chopper brands, which I think makes it less comfortable for big jobs.

All the parts can be removed and fanned open to be put in the dishwasher and cleaned. I recommend rinsing them off soon after using because dried on food doesn't come off it in the dishwasher well.

I have noticed that the plastic blade cover has changed in the dishwasher, so that it is tricky to get the slots on it to line up with the blades and get it back on. I have to squeeze it a few times to get it to fit back on. Also, when I'm chopping fast sometimes the blades momentarily get hung up on rotation. Overall, I've had it for 10+ years, so that's pretty good!

Performs as advertised

Comments about Pampered Chef Food Chopper:

I bought this product about six years ago after a friend of mine, who hosts a lot of dinner parties, said it was a must have. I do think it is handy when you have a large amount of various vegetables to chop up, but I usually still find it easier and more convenient just to chop up veggies on my cutting board unless I have a lot to do. It does perform well, and I should probably use it more often than I do, but I usually only use it about once a month.

It's not quite as easy to clean as a knife and cutting board, but it's really not too bad to just take it apart and put in through the top rack of the dishwasher. I haven't had any problems using that method to clean it.

Mine has lasted for six years with use about once a month and remains in great shape.

Overall, the design is sufficient. Sometimes the food tends to get caught on the upper parts of the blade and you have to redistribute to make sure it all gets chopped. Also, with the current design, I find that I can't put in a large amount at once because that causes more food to get caught above the cutting portion of the blade.

Nice Chopper for Everyday Use.

Comments about Pampered Chef Food Chopper:

The Pampered Chef Food Chopper does a good job at chopping your foods into small pieces. It's all manual and simple to use. You have control on how small you dice and chop your pieces based on how long or how much you chop. It does have some limitations because of its size. I used mine to chop up some green onions and I had to slice the green onions up first to get them to fit inside the chopper. To get it to chop you have to punch down on the top with the palm of your hand. It took a few times to get them small enough for what I needed.

The Food Chopper is dishwasher safe but is sort of hard to clean any other way. The tiny chopped up pieces stick to the blade and sides so when I wash by hand, it's challenging and I have to be careful not to slice myself.

It's a simple product that doesn't have any electrical pieces to break which is a huge positive. My one concern is the dulling of the blade over time, but I've used mine for a couple of years and it's still very effective.

It's a simple design that has less problems because there are no electrical components to be concerned with. It's small and easy to store.

Food chopper

Comments about Pampered Chef Food Chopper:

I like the idea of what this product is supposed to do but I think it's not as effective as it could be. I have trouble getting onions and peppers to fully dice up.

It cleans up pretty well, but the stuff your chopping gets stuck up in the upper area that houses the blade sometimes.

A chopper for anything!

Comments about Pampered Chef Food Chopper:

This chopper is useful for so many things. You can chop nuts, vegetables, eggs, or whatever. It's easy to use and quicker than chopping by hand. It's easy for anyone to use, and it has spring action in the handle. Push it down to chop and it comes back up on it's own.

This is very easy to take apart to clean. You can rinse it and then dishwash it. I have never had trouble cleaning it this way. Then the pieces just pop back together. It is very sharp though so be careful!

It is very durable. Mine has never broken. After many years, the blades may dull some depending on how much chopping you have done and what substances. It's made out of some plastic, with a blade inside, a cover for the end over the blade, and a comfortable handle at the top.

Great design. My favorite part is the cap on the end to hold in what you are chopping. Handle action is great. Blades are sharp. Makes chopping so easy compared to by hand. Would recommend to anyone. The money is worth it, it is affordable.

Makes cooking much easier

Comments about Pampered Chef Food Chopper:

I like to cook, but I absolutely hate chopping food like onions and peppers. That's where my Pampered Chef Food Chopper comes in. I just place half an onion into the chopper, and within a few seconds, I have perfectly diced onions. This definitely saves me a lot of time because I don't have to worry about being careful as I slice onions or other foods like chocolate candies to put in cookies.

I'm not sure if this is recommended, but I put the food chopper in the dishwasher on the top shelf. I just take the chopper apart into four pieces. This always cleans the chopper as well as if I washed it by hand.

This is very easy to clean if you put it in the dishwasher. I would probably be less likely to use it as often if I had to wash it by hand.

This is very durable. I normally just throw it into a drawer with other products, and I don't have any problems with cracks on the plastic ring where the food is held.

If you get the chance, snag one of these!

Comments about Pampered Chef Food Chopper:

This chopper, after being compared to a few others, is hands-down the best one out there! Great for most anything but I especially find it useful for the things a knife and cutting board would take awhile to chop. Nuts are a great example. Throw a handful under the chopper and wah-lah!

One of the few issues with this is the sharp blades and ease of cleaning with them. If you have a dishwasher, you are in luck! If not, cleaning it by hand is tricky. Hard to get between each piece and not cut yourself.

My mother has owned this chopper for several years and uses it frequently and it has never cracked or broken in any way.

This is designed to chop (obviously) and that it does! It's easy to handle, being light weight, and press down on. It takes very little effort to cut through things and is built to be light weight yet heavy duty at the same time. It comes with a guard to put on when not in use, which is nice, too.

Not Their Best Product

Comments about Pampered Chef Food Chopper:

When I first purchased my Pampered Chef Food Chopper a few years ago, I used it all the time. However, once the novelty wore off, I realized that it really wasn't saving me any time in the kitchen and is an unnecessary kitchen gadget.

The premise of this gadget is that it saves you from having to painstakingly dice your veggies. This is true, but the small space that the veggies have to fit into inside the chopper means that you have to pre-cut them considerably before even putting them in.

It also promises easy cleaning. It is nice that it is dishwasher safe, and comes completely apart, so that you are able to clean all the way inside. However, my good dishwasher doesn't always get this clean enough, and cleaning in between the sharp blades via hand washing is no easy task. The plastic bottom to this chopper (where the food lies) showed cuts and stains pretty quickly that will not go away.

All of that said, this might work well for an older person who cooked but couldn't cut with a knife very well.

Since the newness wore off, this chopper has been sitting in the cabinet unused.

The best food chopper for anyone's kitchen!

Comments about Pampered Chef Food Chopper:

The Pampered Chef Food Chopper is so easy to use and makes chopping any ingredient a breeze. Very high quality product that I have never had a problem with. Many of my friends even ask where I have gotten it from because they love it so much. It can chop anything from apples, veggies, chocolate, nuts, onions and much more. This product allows you to chop your ingredient to any consistency.

The food chopper looks complicated, but is very simple to clean. The product comes apart creating a few larger pieces to clean. I put my food chopper on the top rack of the dishwasher.

Very high quality and durable. Even when chopping harder ingredients, the chopper stays sharp and cuts through. Made from good quality products and a company that backs up their products.

Simple and efficient design that makes for ease of use. The clear bottom of the chopper allows you to see the food you are chopping and control the fineness/thickness to which you want your ingredient.