Other Misc. Baby Health Items:
Nosefrida
Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator

Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator

Life saver!!

When you have a baby who can't blow it's nose, you've got a real problem.  Especially when you are a nursing mom like me.  If they can't breath through their nose,...Read complete review

When you have a baby who can't blow it's nose, you've got a real problem.  Especially when you are a nursing mom like me.  If they can't breath through their nose, they can't nurse!

WIth my first child I bough a reguar bulb syringe like is used by doctors and hospitals.  This were torture for us!  I would actually have to lay a leg over my baby's legs, and hold his head still with one arm, and still I would not get the baby still enough to do it!  He would cry, and it was so hard!

I found this during my second pregnancy.  What you do is put it in your baby's nose, and the other half is put in your mouth, and you suck the snot out.  There is a barrier between your mouth and the baby, so there is no way to get it in your mouth. But you can get all the mucous out in one go.  you don't have to constantly put it in, take it out, put it in, take it out!  It makes for a much happier mom, and a much happier baby.  It's a bit more expensice than a bulb syringe, but worth the price.

Works great, but be warned, it can make you sick!

The Nosefrida works great for its intended use -- cleaning out your baby's nose. Two people really help, but it could be done by a persistent single parent, especially laying your infant on a changing table. You should disassemble the device and wash out the plastic tube with every use. I washed it with Diabetic Alcohol (91 percent), though I personally am not diabetic, to disinfect it. IMPORTANT: One must let it thoroughly dry due to fumes and/or rewash with water before the next use. I did not want to re-infect my infant with a prior illness.

The problem, and I mean severe problem, quite nearly a health hazard, is that the Nosefrida will inoculate whoever is using it with the same illness that is sickening your child. A persistent user will apply strong vacuum to the device, and the filter, of course, is meant for capturing media and doesn't remove airborne germs. Every time a user breathes deeply using the Nosefrida they are driving bacteria and/or virii deep into the air sacs of their lungs. Obviously, it's used on children with upper respiratory infection. In the adult applying the Nosefrida service, this infection is instantly transmitted deep within their chest.

Given that children and adults are susceptible to different grades of pathogens, this can be very bad. Although as an adult you probably have built-up resistance to upper respiratory agents, you may have never been exposed to them in this novel manner. Users are essentially engineering an unnatural exposure in one of the worst places possible -- deep within their body, and to ultra concentrated pathogens that are usually presented through casual person-to-person contact. Since your child may have an evolved infectious agent that you weren't exposed to as a kid, you can and probably will get whatever they have.

The Nosefrida made me very ill twice. Just know that you are strongly exposing yourself to respiratory illness with this device. And, although it does help your child, the cost of having a sick parent may not be worth the benefit of an occasional partially clear nose. There are other devices that do the same thing, too, though maybe not as efficiently.

Clears the Nose but makes you sick

Comments about Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator:

Here's the deal, I have been using this on my daughter for about a year now. At one point I got an infection right after my daughter and just could not get well. I mean I was sick for 3 months, stopped using the nosefrida on my daughter and went back to the syringe and she and I both got better within the week. I threw the nosefrida away I have never been so sick in my life, went to the doctor and they couldn't figure out why I kept getting reinfected with the same sickness again and again since I am pretty healthy overall. One day as I was sucking out her nose I wondered if it was the nosefrida making my throat have unbearable soars all over it etc and like I said earlier I stopped and was better within the week, I literally have been ill for 3 months! So frustrating!

Works great, but be warned, it can make you sick!

an amazing product

Comments about Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator:

Love this product! It works so much better than the bulb syringe. Its effective, and my son doesn't seem to mind it. I would recommend this to any mother out there. It seems kind of gross, but keep an open mind. I promise it isn't that bad! Its reasonably priced also.

Love this snot sucker!

Comments about Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator:

My daughter doesn't always love it, but I do! She's almost 2 now and will put it into her own nostril when she wants me to use it. This works much better than those stupid nasal aspirators like they give out at the hospital. The snot never comes into contact with your mouth or anything, so no worries there. You have to be careful not to seal off the entire nostril because this can create too much pressure when you suck on it, but that's easily done. I love how it's clear so you can see how much you've gotten out of the nose, and it's easy to clean after each use. It comes with extra foam filters so you can replace them - it looks like a solid sheet of foam but they are pre-cut, so don't make the mistake I did of cutting into it!

Best gift for a new mom

Comments about Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator:

If there is one thing every new mom needs, it's a Nosefrida snotsucker. I didn't want one when I was pregnant with my first, but shortly after he was born I realized that the traditional bulb aspirators weren't very effective and after one sleepless night of watching my congested infant try to sleep, I broke down and bought a Nosefrida. Best decision I ever made! It seems gross at first to put your mouth on something connected to someone else's nose, but it's such an ingenious device that you don't have to worry about actually getting anything in your mouth. It has a filter. I just had baby number two and already have started using the Nosefrida on him too. I still use it on my oldest. He gets a kick out of it and reminds me to do both nostrils! He also wants me to use it on him if he sees me using it on his brother. So it must be a good product if a picky toddler enjoys using it!

Works Wonderful!

from Gillette, WY

Comments about Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator:

My son has respiratory issues and needs sucked out often. The NoseFrida is super easy to use, does not cause damage, and is compact to travel with too. The best part is it requires little maintenance and great results! This would make for a wonderful and unique baby gift.

Amazing nose sucker!

from Salem, OR

Comments about Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator:

I don't often like to pay full price for anything, but I needed to find something better to help get snot out of my baby's nose than the huge bubble things from the hospital. It works great and isn't nearly as gross as it sounds/looks from the packaging or the title of the product. It's an amazing baby product!

Good if you have the lungs for it!

from Warrenton, VA

Comments about Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator:

I've only used this a couple of times because you get a bit light headed after a couple of usage. it does the job if you can hold your baby still as well as hold onto the aspirator. even though you don't get anything in your mouth, it does have a gross out factor since you can see the stuff coming into the tube that you're sucking on!

Nosefrida should be on every new parent's baby registry

from Waco, TX

Comments about Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator:

There is one thing that the Nosefrida has going against it and that is the gross out factor. You are using your mouth to provide suction for clearing your baby's nose. That being said, if used correctly, there is no way that you should ever have a problem in this area. Not only is there a filter to make a barrier, there is quite a lot of tubing in between the two ends.

I finally gave in and purchased this product when my daughter was so congested she couldn't sleep. We would use the nasal aspirator given to us by the hospital and we would need to use it again within the hour. Once I used the Nosefrida, she could take her naps and sleep even with her cold. You will be amazed at how well this clears out your baby's nose. I cannot believe that I didn't buy this sooner.

My daughter hated to be held down to use the aspirator and would fight us. She still is not pleased when we use the Nosefrida, but it is not such a fight. Since there is nothing to stick up her nose, she is a little more relaxed with it.

Overall, if you can get past the gross factor, this is one thing every parent should have.

Nosefrida might make you sick!

from Mount Juliet, TN

Comments about Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator:

We were told by a friend that they got an electronic snot sucker, but I saw this one first and thought I'd try it for my soon to be born baby. We used it for her first nasal congestion and it worked pretty well. You had to suck really hard. But then I got sick soon after. Then my husband used it and he also got sick. Then we noticed every time she was sick, we would use the snot sucker and we'd get sick soon after. It's possible, of course, that we would have gotten sick anyway just from being around her. But, even though the snot is not coming up as far as our mouth, the air and germs from her mouth are probably traveling through the filter into our mouths/lungs. Just doesn't seem sanitary. Of course, as parents, we'd do anything to help our kids feel better, so we still use it occassionally. However, she is now 12 months and HATES it. She starts crying when she sees it coming. It was good the first few months, but she started hating it when she was a few months old, and hates it more as she gets older.