Other Operating Systems:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Pros

Cons

First Look: Windows 7; What Windows Vista Should Have Been

***Bottom-Line***: In general, this performance indicates that Microsoft has spent a lot of effort with **Windows 7**; this time they got it right...

Okay,...Read complete review

Okay, I'll admit it; I was one of the computer geeks who were (very) excited about Microsoft's much hyped follow on to *Windows XP, ***Windows Vista**.  I was after all a Beta tester and while testing I did noticed little niggling things about the Operating System (OS), but I was sure they would be addressed by Microsoft before the final release of the OS.  I was only partially right!

So when Microsoft announced the replacement for Windows Vista to be called **Windows 7** (scratching my head), I was skeptical to say the least.  But like any loyal Microsoft cake eater I dutifully downloaded my **Beta 2**, and then **RC1** release copy and installed it on a *Dell Latitude D820* with an Intel Centrino DuoT2300 processor @1.66GHz, 4GB of Ram, and 40GB hard drive.

**First Impressions**

The installation of **Windows 7 **was pretty seamless and took about 30 minutes to complete.** ** Once the install process was complete **Windows 7** booted for the first time rather quickly.  And that is the first thing you'll notice about the OS, it boots much quicker than *Windows Vista*.  Unlike *Vista* the resource hogging but utilitarian Windows Sidebar does not start automatically.  In fact the bar itself is gone, but the gadgets that rested upon it are still available.

The familiar *Task Bar* is still available at the bottom of the screen, but *Quick Launch* is gone, replaced by something far less functional.  Icons of open programs now take far less Task Bar real estate than in the last two iterations of Windows.  There are subtle changes to the *Start Menu* that will not take much time at all to use get used to.

**Graphics**

The background graphics are high resolution images that are best viewed at display resolutions surpassing 1280x1280; those of you lucky enough to have wide screen displays will appreciate **Windows 7's** graphics complete with new themes and rotating wall paper.  The effect on a flat screen LCD monitor with an adapter that can handle the resolutions is stunning.  The colors are rich, deep, and sharply defined, but soft on the eyes.  The round 3-D smoothness of the Windows Vista desktop that permeates all windows, icons, and menu/task bars has been retained in **Windows 7**.

Those who are already using *Internet Explorer 7.0/8.0, Windows Media Player 11.0, or Microsoft Office 2007* on Windows XP, will be familiar with this new rounded 3-D effect, because Microsoft, as is the company's usual practice, has standardized the new look and feel of *Vista* across its entire line of products as newer versions are introduced.  So expect the same graphical interface on the up-coming *Office 2010*.

**Hardware Compatibility**

Another (very) pleasant surprise after I finished loading **Windows 7** was the fact that the OS found ALL of my hardware components!  No yellow exclamation marks; no hardware drivers to download and install!  From wireless NIC, to graphics card, from integrated modem to USB Hub, **Windows 7** found them all and install the appropriate drivers.  How is that for ease of operation?

**Security**

One of the niggling hold-overs from *Windows Vista* is the built-in enhanced security out of the box.  But the security model built into Windows 7 it is not as onerous as *Vista, *but the OS does* *still ask for permission to do (some) things.  Gone is the incessant nagging for permission to open everyday programs.  Speaking of security, **Windows 7** of course ships with a firewall and Microsoft saw fit to bundle its *Defender *application with it as well.

**My Viewpoint **

Overall I would say Microsoft has a hit on its hands with **Windows 7**; it is everything *Vista*** **in all of its incarnations should have been.  The OS loads quickly from start-up, is as stable as *Windows XP*, uses far less memory than *Vista, *and is far more user friendly.**     **

My *Dell Latitude D820* with 4GB of RAM runs very smoothly, but I have run computers elsewhere with only 1GB of RAM that run the OS just as effortlessly.  Whereas *Vista* routinely consumes a little over 1GB after start-up, Windows 7 consumes a little under 800MB.  And there will be 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the OS.

I want to stress that I didn't test the **Windows 7** *RC 1* exhaustively; hey, I have to leave something to your collective imaginations.  And businesses will need to closely examine deployment software scenarios-including virtualization-in order to determine how the OS integrates into their existing environments, as well as its ability to work well with third-party/legacy software.

The most important aspect of **Windows 7** to note at first glance is that it has much more of that unobtrusive *Windows XP* aura than *Vista* ever did.  While *Vista *felt and move like a beluga whale, **Windows 7** appears as nimble as a school of dolphin swimming at the bow of a schooner under sail.

In general, this performance indicates that Microsoft has spent a lot of effort with **Windows 7**; this time they got it right and delivered a solid OS that probably won't *"dazzle" *the viewing public, but will satisfy computer users-yes even MAC users-on a much deeper level. In other words, **Windows 7** is just what the computer doctor-and millions of customer's world-wide-ordered in *Vista* but Microsoft failed to deliver.

Windows 7 Ultimate Adventures

I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate using a Student Discount Deal, and I have to say the design is reminiscent of Windows Visa in its translucency and bright airy color themes, but it's also improved in other ways with functionality. I haven't had a chance to use it much though I like the ability to have two windows take up half the screen. The new organization is a bit iffy when I open up Windows Explorer. Nothing can top Window XP's awesomeness I suppose. The lack of built in games is a bit sad compared to old versions, and the conmplete lack of Microsoft Word included is just saddening to the maximum degree. Upgrading is simple enough until I had to find drivers, and a few were a bit obscure though I guess that's not Windows' fault as much as it is the computer manufacturer's folly. Anyway, I think Windows 7 is an improvement on Windows Vista, and while that may not be saying much, it's a welcome improvement since so many of use are compelled to use Microsoft's operating systems. I like how it's possible to use 32 Bit and 64 Bit software on one system too.

Win7 takes XP and Vista up a notch. BAM!

Comments about Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate:

This is hands down the best version of Windows to date. (AS of this writing Windows 8.1 is available).
It keeps to the classic Windows design we all know so that its simple to use without a lot of change. One of the most important things to me with OS choice is familiarity, but I also like security.
Windows 7 took everything that XP and Vista did well and put them together, then added more. Everything I hated about Vista was dumped from 7.

This OS continues to proliferate the one problem I have had with Windows, and that is every generation becomes increasingly resource hungry, and space consuming, and I don't feel that the additions and improvements always warranty the upgrade. In this case now that Win7 has been out for a few years this problem isn't as big of a deal, because pretty much any machine you can readily buy these days can tackle Win7 without any performance hits

Speed
On a modern machine this OS is fast at everything it does. Beware on older machines though it will be slower

Same old Windows that even the least computer Savvy can learn quickly.

Virus Protection
This has always been a less than impressive feature of Windows, stock you have no virus protection. You are either left to fend for yourself and buy third party software, or download the Microsoft Security Essentials pack (free at least). The problem is Security Essentials still is not the best Anti-Virus or security suite.

Compatibility
Pretty much anything that has been released since the days of Windows 95 can be run with a few tweaks to the program shortcut, and most modern hardware has drivers that can be used

Windows 7 simplified!

Comments about Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate:

Windows 7 is a much more user friendly operating system then any of Microsoft's predecessors. It is unlike it's counterparts in that it isn't bogged down by useless programs that hamper the PC's overall performance. The software design is easy on the eyes.

I have been using Window 7 for a couple of years now and I would never go back to the previous versions. I've not quite understood why Microsoft released windows 8 when this one is just fine for various needs. It runs quite well. Windows 8 tends to be quite a departure from previous versions with it's app laden design. This version capitalizes on what has always worked before and get's rid of what hasn't worked. Great performance!

Speed
The boot up time tends to be very fast in comparison with other versions. Typically windows usually has taken me several minutes to load but this one take on average 1 minute before I'm ready to go at my desktop. It seems they have taken away all of the background services that have hampered the speed in the past. Much appreciated!

Everything is right at your fingertips. It is easy to customize, nothing is hard to find and if I did need help the help file is right there. I especially like how I'm able to create shortcuts on the taskbar for even greater speed and productivity.

Virus Protection
Windows defender seems adequate althought I use third part software. I've never had a system crash related to a virus since using windows seven.

Compatibility
I haven't tried a ton of older software titles on windows seven but the few I did worked fine when I set them up to run in compatibility mode. It's nice to be able to play over video games that I've loved from the past on this new version.

I liked Windows 7

Comments about Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate was pretty good. I now have Windows 8, but I actually liked Windows 7 better at first. It was fast, efficient, and so easy to use. Where Windows 8 was very difficult to use at first. It is a big difference. The virus protect is okay but not the best. I would recommend Windows 8 though.

A Good change

Comments about Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate:

Everything in the system was done right, boiling down the security and management of apps , it leads many to get use to the system. It was of course, genuinely easy to use and everything works well.

With Windows, every driver is available on tuning your power management supply.

Speed
For its system requirements, modern laptop run pretty smoothly along with it and RAM is standard for handling causal tasks.

Simply and organized, everything was there.

Virus Protection
It offered WIndows Defender built-in and have continuous virus definition updates.

Compatibility
Windows is compatible with any software and run smoothly.

I miss Windows 7

Comments about Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate:

I like to mention first of all that this is my favorite operating system. Less then a year ago, microsoft released Windows 8, which can be extremely confusing, if you do not know how to navigate through windows. Windows 7 has the start menu of course on the bottom where the task bar is. Also Windows 7 is great for beginner window users that just want to get familiarized with navigating through windows to save files or access the internet. Windows 7 is fast, and is very compatible with software applications and other internet browsers like Firefox or the Chrome. Windows 7 is also capable of running a anti-virus program to keep your computer protected from viruses and hackers. In conclusion Windows 7 is a great product, and would recommend for any computer user to install and have. Also Windows 7 is a lot less confusing and easier to understand then Windows 8.

• Compatibility:

I like many of the features, but...

Comments about Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate:

We upgraded our computer and it came with the new windows. My biggest complaint is shutting down or rebooting is not easy. I like the look of the interface and I like some of the included extras as well as the ability to download my kids favorite aps. I still am not comfortable navigating about and finding things.

Great step from Vista

from Ithaca, NY

Comments about Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate:

Having felt so sorry for switching to vista from xp, I actually am satisfied with windows 7. It has the user interface of vista, with a little more tweaks, but it operates a lot better and faster than vista. To be frank, windows 7 will load between me switching on my desktop and coming back from bathroom. It also takes up less RAM and resources than vista, which allows computers with less memory to operate better.

Compared to the Professional, the Ultimate offers a few more features, which not all users will actually make use of. I personally use the 64-bit system due to the amount of RAM I have installed on my desktop. I was told that 64-bit was less supported in terms of software and drivers, but that is not quite so true for me anymore.

I also like about the upgrading option from vista to 7, so instead of erasing data from the previous windows operating system, I can actually keep my data while throwing away vista. Great job windows 7.

The best Windows OS to date

from Shawnee, OK

Comments about Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate:

Windows 7 Ultimate brings a lot of things to the table that Windows XP and Vista were lacking, not least of which is visual appeal.  The operating system, overall, seems to be much faster and more resource-friendly than past editions of Windows.  It's quick to load, visually appealing, and as of this writing, I've never had it crash, whereas I experienced several crashes with Vista when I was trying to run very processor intensive applications.  The operating system was extremely easy to install and start working with.  Unlike Vista, it has given very few unnecessary prompts and seems to have its default settings set in a reasonable way for most users.  I've installed Windows 7 on my home computer after experiencing it at work, and I am very happy with the change.  The only negative I have found is that it seems to occasionally experience a graphical glitch on my work machine, but I believe that issue is more related to the applications being run than the operating system itself.

Windows 7 Made Me Forget the Nightmare That Was Vista

from Chicagoland, IL

Comments about Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate:

It's an understatement to say that I hated Microsoft Vista. Hate isn't a strong enough word for the feelings that overtook me as I tried to navigate that frustratingly bloated operating system. I even went back to Windows XP to escape Vista. So imagine my surprise to find that Windows 7 is light years ahead of its former self.

Probably the best thing I've noticed about Windows 7 is that all of my programs load much more quickly and I have had considerably fewer errors and shut-downs than before the upgrade.  For example, I have a Scrabble game that suffered from frequent screen freezes or sudden shut-downs.  However, since I've been using the Windows 7 environment, I haven't had any problems with playing this or other computer games.  In addition, memory-intensive programs like Paint Shop Pro run flawlessly and without any hiccups.

Speed
I love how quickly Windows 7 opened and loaded files. With previous editions, I could practically get a manicure while waiting for XP or Vista to launch and load all of my programs.  Now, Windows 7 gets me up and going in less than a minute.  It's a stunning improvement over the old operating program.

Since using Windows 7, this is the first time I've worked at my PC without major frustration.  All of the windows and menus are familiar enough so that you don't feel lost, but the elements have a cool, transparent vibe that feels more high-tech than what I'm used to seeing. The graphics seem crisper and more vibrant and navigating through the program is a more fleet and fun experience.

Virus Protection
We use Norton Security for antivirus software, and it has been perfectly compatible with Windows 7.

Compatibility
I think that Microsoft really understood the problems that Vista caused and did a terrific job in fixing them. When I first installed Windows 7, there were a few compatibility problems with some of my programs. But very quickly, I've gotten to the point where I don't see that any longer.

Everything I need

Comments about Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate:

Windows 7 Ultimate is the ultimate Microsoft OS that I'll ever need. It has both the sturdy and secure system that I need to work on my business needs as well as have the entertainment that I love in Media Center. I just love this product.