2.6
Jennie O Turkey Store Ground Turkey

Jennie-OJennie O Turkey Store Ground Turkey

2.3

Pros

Cons

• Bad flavor (4)

Healthier Than Ground Beef But Not The Same On The Grill

Ground turkey usually gets a bad rap because of the way that it is prepared; it has a higher water content so it often breaks or cracks when pan frying or grilling. While it is healthier for you when compared to the fat content in ground beef, if you are going to use ground turkey there are some great ways to improve the taste and prevent cracking when cooking.

The Jenny O packs of ground turkey are usually the same price as ground beef so you aren't saving any money unless it is on sale but if you are worried about the amount of fat that you are consuming, this is healthier. When I make turkey burgers this is the ground turkey that I use because of the way that it is ground and that it is easy to mix. I add breadcrumbs, eggs, grated cheese, fresh parsley and some minced garlic to the ground turkey, mix well and form in to patties. The trick is to let the patties sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before cooking them to allow the breadcrumbs to absorb some of the moisture from the turkey.

Four ounces of this ground turkey contains 120 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, 70 milligrams of sodium, no carbohydrates and a massive 23 grams of protein. If you are dieting this is a much better pick than ground beef and if you workout at the gym and want to add more protein to your diet, this is the way to go. I love that this is low in sodium and there are no carbohydrates to it but fresh out of the pack it leaves a lot to be desired in regards to taste. If you are going to add things like eggs, cheese and breadcrumbs to this to make turkey burgers then you are going to be adding calories, carbohydrates and sodium to the total nutritional values but used sparingly it won't have a huge impact on blood sugar levels for diabetics.

This ground turkey tastes weird

I have eaten ground turkey exclusively now instead of ground beef for at least ten years. We use it in every single thing, tacos, spaghetti sauce, burgers. Its always been great. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a package of this specific ground turkey, it wasn't the one that I usually get. The one I usually get is 93%lean and 7% fat, lean ground turkey. This one was 85%lean, 15% fat. I was not worried about the fat content, I thought it would probably taste just fine, usually we have to add a little oil to the other one to keep it from being a little too dry. Well the new one was horrible, had a strange flavor. I thought I had gotten a bad batch, so I threw it away. Next time I was at a different store I bought another package thinking nothing of it, and happy to save some money because it was cheaper. But again it had a strange gamey flavor, just WEIRD. I could not mask that off flavor with ANYTHING. It was just disgusting. Nothing like the 93%. I will never buy this again, the flavor is just gross. I am wondering what it is, why it tastes so bad when the only difference is the fat content, they both have added "natural flavoring". I think in the future I will purchase store brand Fred Meyer as it never has a weird taste no matter which fat content it had.

Disgusting!

from Palm Springs, CA

Pros

Cons

• Bad Flavor

Comments about Jennie-O Jennie O Turkey Store Ground Turkey:

I have eaten Jennie 0 extra lean ground turkey for the past several years---almost daily. I agree with the most recent comments. Very recently, something has changed. It now tastes gamey. It is not rotten because I have not gotten sick (and I have eaten several packages). Not sure if I should wait a month and try it again (maybe it was a bad batch?).

Turkey now smells and tastes funny

from Fort Wayne, IN

About Me Frequent Diner, Health Conscious

Pros

Cons

• Bad Flavor

Comments about Jennie-O Jennie O Turkey Store Ground Turkey:

I have been eating ground turkey for years, and lately all of the packages of this turkey I have been buying smell and taste really strong. The date is good still and all packages were cooked immediately from buying from store. Turkey used to taste so mild I could barely tell the difference between this and ground beef, but now it is disgusting.

Weird Gamey Taste is new

from San Francisco, ca

Comments about Jennie-O Jennie O Turkey Store Ground Turkey:

I have used this for years, but last couple of packages had a strong Gamey taste that overpowered all spices. Had to throw out a whole lasagna because of it. Disgustingly!

BAD GROUND TURKEY! 85/15 is 40% water in 20 oz packages

from UTAH

About Me Health Conscious, Very informed in nutrition, Jennio deceives

Pros

• All Natural

Cons

• Bad Flavor
          • Bad Texture
          • Rubbery Texture
          • U buy 20 ounce to meat, but is 40% water shrink

july 27 2016

85 lean /15 fat It falls apart in the pan, as a patty it will not stick together. It is also pink slime, they say to cook to 160Deg and it is still pink slime. I baked this for 450 degree for 1.5 hours still pink slime. I shrink in the pan by 40 percent so you dont get 20 ounces in the pack, it is WATER
            I tried the lean and it is so rubbery you can not swallow it

Something changed, and not in a good way.

from Las Vegas, NV

About Me Foodie, Frequent Diner, Simple Tastes

Pros

• Not gamie

Cons

• Overly flakey texture

Comments about Jennie-O Jennie O Turkey Store Ground Turkey:

We've loved the product for years until lately. Processing changed and now the texture is strange and does not hold together burgers on the grill. We'll be reluctantly trying other brands.

What is up with the odd taste?

from Wisconsin

Pros

Cons

• Bad Flavor

Comments about Jennie-O Jennie O Turkey Store Ground Turkey:

I have been buying ground turkey for many years. I've bought this particular brand often and had never had a problem with it. The past 5 packages I've bought have had a horrible gamey taste that no amount of seasoning can cover!! I have thrown away so much food because of this. I usually buy several packages when I find it at a good price and freeze it. I'm not even going to bother trying to cook with the last package I have frozen. Going to try and feed it to the dogs, but I'm doubtful that they will even eat it.

Weird taste

Comments about Jennie-O Jennie O Turkey Store Ground Turkey:

I've tried this brand of ground turkey on two separate occasions (after being accustomed to another brand for several years) and the difference is very apparent. Like another reviewer mentioned, it definitely has a weird, gamey taste to it that can't be easily hidden, no matter how much my parsley-based seasoning I apply. It certainly is healthier for you--being ground turkey and all--but there are MUCH better brands of ground turkey out there. I'll be sticking to the one I know and trust from now on.

Disgusting Slime

Comments about Jennie-O Jennie O Turkey Store Ground Turkey:

I don't think it even deserves a 1. This tastes nothing like ground turkey. I exclusively eat ground turkey. I have tried Honeysuckle, Kroger, and organic brands. When I can't buy organic i buy Kroger or honeysuckle because Jennie O brand is pink slime with a horrible taste.I even buy the 85/15 of the other brands and it still is far better than Jennie O. I thought it was a bad batch but every time i buy this brand it tastes and smells the same. I will never purchase this brand again.

Healthier Than Ground Beef But Not The Same On The Grill