1.8
Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Collar for Cats

Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Collar for Cats

1.8

Helps Keep Fleas off Your Cat

The Hartz 2 in 1 Flea & Tick collar comes in white and purple according to what I have read about it but I have only actually seen it in white. The collar is made of a soft plastic type material, and is very flexible, but not stretchy. The collar is flat and very basic. It comes in a circular shape and you just basically pull it out into a straight line (this also activates the collar) and place it around the cat's neck and buckle it like it like a cheap belt, not a belt with holes, just kind of a loop thing to stick it through.

The package states that the collar should be worn loosley. The collar should have enough room for it to be pulled over the cats head. The collar was a bit long for our cat but our cat was very thin due to his illness, he had trouble keeping weight on.. I imagine it would fit a normal sized cat perfectly. It might be a bit snug for a fat cat though. You can just snip off any excess collar that goes beyond what you need. It is not difficult to cut.  Make sure to discard it though, because the active ingedients can be harmful. For this same reason. Although it held on the cat just fine, I don't think that this is a collar that you could use with a leash. The pulling force from the animal with a leash would most likely pull this collar off. This is a collar that you would use in addition to the animals regular collar, not as a substitute for it. The package says that collar will keep fleas and ticks away for up to 5 months. It also says that it help to keep off deer ticks which cause lime disease. The collar is water proof. Active Ingredients: Tetrachlorvinphos (14.55%), Other Ingredients (85.45%) Warning: Harmful if swallowed or absorbed through skin. Causes moderate eye irritation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin or clothing. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling. This product should not be used on kittens under 12 weeks of age.

The colar is nice and flat and rubber like, and white, so it makes it possible to write on. We wrote our cat's name, our address, and phone number with permanent marker right on the collar.  Thanks to that our cat was returned to us a couple of times, after he had gotten out.

Under normal conditions the active ingredients in the collar should last up to 5 months, and then the collar should be replaced. If the cat is exposed to an environment that he may come in contact with fleas or ticks the collar should be changed every 4 months.

This colar worked well for us and it allowed us to feel more comfortable when the cat got out we felt it helped protect him from getting fleas, even though he prefered to be out a lot he never did get any fleas.  So it did work.  And since it is really in-expensive even if it fails you will not have invested that much money in it.

ZERO STARS! Dangerous, toxic product - DO NOT USE!

The Hartz collars should be BANNED. The side effects (foaming at the mouth, vomitting, hair loss, intense itching) we've seen on the one cat we stupidly tried the collar out on are simply shocking and sad. I cannot believe these things are still being sold in neighborhood drugstores and convenience petstores! They are cheap, toxic, dangerous products that should be removed off the shelves.

New cat owners and buyers BEWARE!!!

Fleas are nightmares, but there are infinitely better alternatives to flea control than using the Hartz collar: weekly vaccuuming, keeping the humidity super low (30%-50%) at home, careful diatomaceous earth applications in dark and unfrequented nooks and crannies pets can't reach, annual boric acid carpet treatments (with pets removed from the area during the applications), using the Furminator daily on your pets to keep their fur sleek and knot-free, and feeding fresh raw, organic or premium cat foods.

If you just bought this product in desperation because you just discovered fleas on your poor pet like we did once, take the collar off your cat and go return it at the store you bought it from - get your money back now! Make sure you complain about the product. Spread the word to keep everyone's pets out there safe from Hartz collars and their other equally cheap pet products.

Take care of yourself too - you have just breathed in toxins released by the collar as well.

If I could give it half a rating, I would!

from Sevierville, TN

Comments about Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Collar for Cats:

I bought this one time and one time only. I put it on my two cats, and it didn't bother my larger cat, but my poor, small female cat.....I was afraid it was going to kill her. She doesn't really like collars to begin with, so when I put it on her, she messed with it a bit and then she seemed to get used to it. The next day, I noticed that she was panting and drooling a little bit and also that her legs were shaking. She was very lethargic, and the only thing it could have been was the collar, so I immediately took it off of her and my other cat (even though it wasn't effecting him at all). I gave her a bath and scrubbed around her neck several times and then we kept a very close eye on her, called the vet and he said to wait a couple of hours to see if taking the collar off helped (he'd had this before with others) and if she was still acting funny, to bring her in. Within a hour, she was better. We still kept a close eye on her for a couple of days, but she was completely back to normal. I will NEVER buy any Hartz product again EVER. Not any medicated product, or non-medicated product. I won't even buy Hartz toys, nothing!

• Quality of Ingredients:
  • Side Effects:

Good protection

from Utah

Comments about Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Collar for Cats:

Our cat spends a lot of time outside, and our neighborhood also has several stray cats around. So it is nice to have good protection against fleas and ticks that can carry various diseases. This collar does a great job at giving this protection. Our cat has not had a single problem with either fleas or ticks since we decided to try it out. The collar sits comfortably on his neck and does not cause chafing or sore spots. But it is also snug enough that he can not easily slip it off over his head. It seems to have a little bit of a scent (I believe that is the main thing that keeps the insects away). But the scent does not bother our cat at all. He also has not had any allergic reactions to this collar (whereas I have heard of other pets being allergic to collars similar to this one, but from other brands). Overall, I would recommend this collar for protection, especially for outside cats.

Not effective

Comments about Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Collar for Cats:

I help take care of a feral cat colony in my neighborhood. They are infested with fleas & ticks & although we try & get them as much veterinary care as possible we do have a constant battle with flea control, which usually goes hand in hand with intestinal parasites..due to budget reasons & a discount from a local store we were able to only afford the Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Collars for cats - which we hoped would at least help with lessening the problem & help kill the ticks so we could at least give these poor cats some relief. We noticed absolutely no difference except a few of them got some irritation around the neck area where the collars were. Now as I said we didn't expect miracles, but we didn't expect no results either. We had put the collars on a few of the mother cats we had separated in an area in our shelter - also no results. Thankfully we were given a donation that allowed us to buy another name brand flea & tick collar & spray which actually worked & almost eradicated our flea problem! So don't waste your money! Get the better brand & get the poor cats some relief!

Doesn't work and made my cat sick.

from Kansas

Comments about Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Collar for Cats:

Do NOT buy the Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Collar for your cat! It did nothing for my cats fleas and it made her vomit. I felt so awful for even putting this collar on my poor girl.

Last summer my indoor cat somehow got fleas, which has never happened before. I went and bought the Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Collar because I figured it was probably a good product since Hartz is a fairly big brand. It was also cheaper than the other brands [Now I know why!] Well I was definitely wrong.

This is just like any other flea collar. It's the white plastic that has a funky smell to it. I gave my cat a bath with her usual shampoo then let her dry and put the collar on her. She doesn't mind collars at all so she wasn't at all bothered by it. After about 6 or 7 days I noticed my cat was kind of drooling, which was unusual. Soon I figured out she was drooling due to being nauseous. A few days after I noticed her drooling she began throwing up one morning. I didn't think much of it until it happened a few more times that day. I quickly removed the collar off of her and gave her bath. She wasn't feeling well the rest of that night but in the morning she was mostly back to herself besides being a little lethargic. The collar was only on my cat about a week and a half but there was no change in the fleas. I could see a few fleas crawling around on her head and she would scratch herself still.

Do not buy the Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Collar! I still feel bad for putting it on my cat and making her ill. It didn't even work for the fleas!

Surprisingly effective! !

Comments about Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Collar for Cats:

When I got cats I was told to use drops not collars, that collars don't work. But my cats flopped out having the drops put on. I bought these collars and they are great! This is the third year I have used them. After trying a couple others I have found these to be the best. They break away if the cat gets stuck which makes them even better

Didn't work, gave cat a rash

Comments about Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Collar for Cats:

My roommate and I both have cats, and they got fleas. (Darn apartment living!) So, my roommate picked up some Hartz collars and flea shampoo. The collars were put on after their bath (as directed - the flea shampoo worked fine, no worries there) to keep them clean and free of critters. I was initially worried because the collar smelled absolutely awful, sickly sweet - it made me gag - but I kept it my kitty (and my roommates) because we hoped it would help and they really seemed to be suffering from the fleas.

The collars did not work AT ALL. It did not kill or repel any of the fleas that got back on them after the bath - they crawled right around the collar, none even seemed effected. The smell also continued, making it hard to sit with my cat. Worse, my roommate's cat got a rash on her neck from it, either from stratching or the chemicals involved - Who knows, but either way it was terrible! We threw them away and with some medicine it went back to normal.

Don't bother with this - even if it doesn't hurt your cat (mine was fine), it still doesn't work.

Ineffective and my cats hate it!

Comments about Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Collar for Cats:

When one of my rescue cats had fleas, I purchased this product to see if by chance something at such a low price would be effective. I should have known better!

The first thing is that it simply did not work well. I mean the number of fleas on my cat was minimized but many were still present after a month. This is completely unacceptable for a flea treatment, especially when it is advertised as offering long term protection!

Another thing is that my cats hated this product! They were not comfortable with the collar and it was very difficult to put it on them. It is also dangerous because it can get caught on things if you are not careful which is why I generally stay away from collars.

Probably the worst thing about this collar is that one of my cats experienced an allergic reaction, so bad that I had to take him to the vet.

Overall, I do not recommend this product at all. It is uncomfortable for cats and does not work. I am also concerned about how safe it is for cats given that my cat had an allergic reaction. I now purchase a more expensive but better flea/tick treatment.

made the cat deathly ill-cat died in days with fleas

from Milwaukee, WI

Comments about Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Collar for Cats:

Last year, my parents' cat was infested with fleas. My mom and I picked up the Hartz 2 in 1 flea collar for cats because we know that Hartz has been around for a long time and had no reason to doubt its safety or efficacy. Within hours of applying the collar, the cat became lethargic, she lost her appetite, and her eyes became glassy. We called the vet, who recommended Frontline drops and a flea dip at the vet office. Unfortunately, the cat died before she had a chance to get into the vet's office - and she was still infested with fleas even while wearing the collar for two days. But we now wanted to treat the other cat, who was not an outside cat, but apparently picked some up from the other cat while indoors. The Frontline was applied to the cat while the cat sat on the countertop. Almost immediately, you could see the fleas literally "jumping ship" off the cat! Amazing! But stay far away from Hartz! I do believe it killed my mom's other cat. Terribly unsafe and ineffective product!

Why do people waste their money????

from Louisville, KY

Comments about Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Collar for Cats:

The only thing this or any other flea collar does is make the fleas sick THEY DO"NT DIE!! And that is only if the flea crawls under the collar and gets a direct contact with it No flea collars will ever repell fleas now it might kill a young flea but will not kill an adult or the eggs!!!!It is better to spend the money for revolution or frontline these collars are worthless and a waste of time and money!!!!

really works well but needs changed more often than it states

from Strongstown, PA

Comments about Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Collar for Cats:

the collar comes in several colors so your pet can dress up a little bit,it works fine and is easy to  change. It kills the fleas in a few days,just remember to stretch it so it activates. for the price it works well, i also use advantage liquid .