Other Medical Supplies:
Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer

Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer

Pros

Cons

The only way to take a temperature!

Before I had my baby, I heard some nurse friends discussing this thermometer and thought it sounded like a good idea, so I added it to my registry.  We did not receive it as a gift, but when I was in the hospital after giving birth, all the staff there used these types of thermometers.  Now that my husband and I had seen them in action, we knew we needed to break down and get one, too.I'm so glad we did!  Before ours arrived in the mail, I tried to take Baby Girl's temperature once or twice with your typical digital thermometer and was afraid I wasn't holding it in the right place and she kept wiggling - it felt like it took *forever* to beep, indicating her temperature was done.  And since I wasn't sure if it was accurate, I had to perform the process all over again just to check!  It was enough to make me not want to check her temperature unless I thought she was on death's threshold!Now, however, I can take her temperature any time I have the slightest inkling that she maybe, possibly, could be, feverish.  I whip out the Exergen, pop off the cap, push the button, slide it across her forehead and read the temperature in two seconds flat - one-handed!  And to check on accuracy?  Well, I guess I can spare another two seconds.  It's wonderful!  I can do this while she's squirming, while I'm holding her in my arms, any time, any where.  I would not trade this thermometer for anything.  I'm convinced EVERY mom needs one, or anyone else who wants a quick and easy way to take an accurate temperature.

Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer, good & expensive

The Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer is a good thermometer.  It works very fast to get the temperature of my cranky and sick two year old who thinks I am gonna hurt her by getting her temperature.  It is very accurate and easy to use.  It works fast to takes multiple temps of everybody in the house or when you are on the phone with the Doctor and they want a current temperature.  I also like that it is light, not too heavy to hold.  I have carpal tunnel so some of these thermometers are way to heavy for me to hold.  This one is very easy to hold and fits nicely in my small hand.  The downside to this thermometer is the price.  It is expensive to get this Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer. Most single moms I know can not afford this price for a thermometer.  If I had not been given this as a gift I woould not have it.  I do appreciate having it but would not be able to buy it on my own. I have recommended it to all my friends and to the daycare my son attends after school for homework programs.  For them I think this is a much needed investment.

Good thermometer, but needs to glide better

Comments about Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer:

I really love my exergen temporal scanner infrared thermometer! I really trust that the temperature readings that I get with it are accurate. I have no doubt when I use it when I think my little ones are sick that it will give me a good reading of their health. I'm glad there is such a great thermometer out there for little ones since it is so important to be able to get a quick temperature reading on them. Even though they say that the rectal temperature is the way to go for babies, I still love my exergen thermometer. I think that the pricepoint is very reasonable and would pay a lot more for such a great product that can help me when my little ones don't feel good. The only thing that I wish was better is the glide along their forehead. Maybe it doesn't need to glide any further than it does when I use it, but I feel like it sticks to their foreheads instead of gliding across it. Othewise, I love it!

Thank goodness for the temperol thermometer!

from Kingsport, TN

Comments about Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer:

I was always envious of the nurses at the pediatrician's office for being able to take my kids' temperatures with just a flick of the wrist. We had invested in "regular" thermometers--you know what I mean---as well as the patch kinds, the ear kind, and the disposables. It was so frustrating to always try to figure out how accurate it was. I didn't know that these thermometers were available until seeing it in a drugstore ad with a rebate. I purchased it on a whim and sent in the rebate (so I got it for much less!) and it was the best investment ever. First of all, it's very easy to use. So simple especially when your child is asleep. It's painless and non-invasive. The battery seems to last forever, we've had ours for a long time and I don't remember ever needing to change the battery (although I'm probably jinxing myself for saying it.) It's also very accurate. This is a great product and makes a perfect baby shower gift. The new mom will thank you after her little one's first fever!

Simple and Accurate!

from San Francisco, CA

Comments about Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer:

Received this as a baby shower gift, and found it to be very convenient and accurate.

All it requires is a hold of the button and a scan across the forehead, so we all took turns swiping it across our foreheads. 8) It doesn't require much of a scan either. However, the button placement and the shape of the thermometer puts the hand at an odd angle that prevented me from getting a smooth full scan of the forehead.

As for the readings, we had a nurse do a home visit and compared readings from her thermometer and the Exergen. Both were within 0.3degs. Her under-the-tongue took a good 10 seconds where this took about 2 secs.

I'm not sure why the unit has to be so large though. Seems like it could be a lot smaller. Also the button placement could use some work. Maybe to a press-scan-press method? The holding-down-while-scan seemed a bit uncomfortable for me.

Would recommend this thermometer. It's VERY convenient, not obtrusive at all to the baby, and gets accurate readings.

Love this thermometer!

from Erie, PA

Comments about Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer:

A few years ago when my daughter was really sick, I saw this thermometer at the store. I thought that this would be a great way to take her temperature because she was still little and didn't know how to hold a thermometer in her mouth the right way. The Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer is one of the best thermometers out there! I love this thermometer because you can take your child's tempature without disturbing them when they are sleeping. You just run the thermometer over your child's forehead and it takes an accurate temperature without waking them up! It is more convient than the regular oral thermometers and I believe it is more accurate as well! It is more expensive than regular thermometers out there, but I think it is worth the price. I would recommend this thermometer to anyone out there that has a child!

I love my Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer!

from Mesquite, TX

Comments about Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer:

I love my Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer! I can't live without this thermometer! It is my go to thermometer for when anyone in my family is sick. I love how I can take my kids temperatures while they are sleeping and it doesn't wake them up. I would be wonderful if the display was lighted that way I could read their temperature while in their rooms. I love that I don't have to buy any extra covers for the ears or anything like that. I can just put it on their forehead and rub it over to their hairline above the ear. It works great every time. My doctor is the one that recommended it to me. I love it and I love to give it as baby gifts as well. It's very easy to use and painless for the kids.

I love it, it very accurate

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer:

I had my eyes on this one for a while now and I finally got it recently.. Honstly, I am super pleased by its accuracy and its simplicity. Its definitely a keeper and I loved using it. The instructions are simple and it is very easy to operate. You simply need to keep the tip of the thermometer on the forhead and place it nicely, press the button and then glide it either to the left or right. And voila you have got perfect reading.

Its uses the temporal artery which is connected to the heart and takes upto a 1000 readings within a second. Which is amazing and gives you the most accurate reading. It almost read my room tempreature when I pressed the button like that and I was amazed.

Technology makes life so much easier and it gives results in a few seconds. Perfect for infants and kids and whats more amazing is that it has some anti bacterial thing which kills ad bacteria. So you dont have to worry about sterlizing it.

its honestly a wonder so simple to use and soooo accurate. Its technology is also very advanced. I got mine from costco for about 29.99 plus taxes and online I saw it for 33 on amazon. Its for almost 39.99 on walgreens so check the price and see where you will like to get it from. :)

Its truly a beauty.

The Exergen thermometer is very useful and fairly accurate

from La Canada Flintridge, CA

Comments about Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer:

The Exergen temporal artery thermometer is a great alternative to oral, rectal, or under the arm pit thermometers. It is quick, non-invasive, fun for older kids (and the beeping captivates younger ones enough to take their temperature), and accurate enough to get an idea of their temperature +/-0.5 deg (my estimate, if you average over several scans) to know if you need to give medicine and/or see the doctor. My 3 year old asks to have his head scanned. It's also convenient that you can measure their temp while they are sleeping. It's not super accurate, but it's accurate enough. Measurements vary from scan to scan based on where you scan and how long of a scan path you take. You get the best results if you start at center and scan slowly across toward ear. I scan a few times to check accuracy and average the results.

LOVE my Exergen Temproral Thermometer

from Oxford, AL

Comments about Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer:

We have a Exergen Temporal Thermometer and love it. I was reluctant at first and hesitant to buy one. I was used to using a rectal thermometer on my one and a half year old. She kept screamming ever time I took her temperature, so I finally decided to give this one a try. I checked it against my rectal thermometer and it seemed to be pretty accurate. It is so easy to use. She didn't like it at first, but we just made a game of it by scanning our heads and now she is used to it. We are on our second one because we lost our first one, so I had to get another one. When I use it, I scan her head three times just to be sure that I get the same reading each time. After using this thermometer, I wouldn't use anything else. I can even use it while she is sleeping and it doesn't wake her up. I tried one for the ear, but never figured out how to use it correctly, so it is now in the toy box. I would reccommend this thermometer to anyone with small children.

It works for a guestimate

from Glens Falls, NY

Comments about Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer:

I have been through so many thermometers with my children.  Just by feeling their forehead, I can tell they are running a fever, but I need that magic number to bring to the pediatrician.  After my kids outgrew the good old, tried and true rectal method of taking their temperature, I tried desperately to take an oral temperature.  Since that was eh, not the easiest... I went on to attempting the axillary which was far from accurate.  I went out around tax time and purchased the Exergen Temporal Thermometer hoping for accurate temperatures from a state of the art piece of equipment.  I had seen one used in an ICU at our local trauma center (family emergency), and figured I could not go wrong with this.  I have used this for about 2 years now, so I feel I can give a "true" review.  While this thermometer is easy to use by me, some may find it more difficult with the instructions that were included (my husband has yet to figure it out).  It is a stealthy little thing.  I can go in at 1 am and take the temperature of a child without ever waking them, provided they are in the right position.

I found a couple of downers with this though.  Besides the price, I find that it is inconsistent.  I can take the temperature of my son on 1 side and then the other and they can be as much as 2 degrees off.  Currently, it is telling me that my entire family is running at 97 degrees or less, which I find hard to believe.  I will change the battery, but I am afraid this may have only lasted 3 years.  It gives me an overall guide to whether my child has a fever, but found that my son who was running 101 with my thermometer was actually runnning 103 at the office.

Overall, if you are an individual who can following instructions and don't mind a little inconsistency, then I say go for it.  Since this one is on its way out, I am currently shopping for an ear thermometer instead.

The Exergen Temporal Scanner is a MUST HAVE for parents!!

from Delaware, OH

Comments about Exergen Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer:

Originally, I purchased one of those digital ear thermometers when my oldest daughter was an infant thinking that that was the best thing I could buy and that it would be the solution to all of my thermometer needs.  Boy, was I wrong!  It was inaccurate and my daughter hated it!  When I had my second daughter, the hospital where I delivered exclusively used the Exergen Temporal Scanner to take her temperature and I was amazed at how quick and easy it was to use - especially on a newborn!  I inquired with a nurse about it, and it was one of the first things I purchased after I got home from the hospital!  Fortunately, my children seem to have remarkably good immune systems so they very rarely come down with a fever, but when they do, the Exergen Temporal Scanner is a lifesaver!!  It is super easy to use, just run it across the forehead from one temple to the other, and it quickly displays an accurate reading.  It is also very well made, and although it is a bit of a pricey investment (check a members-only type-store for the best price!), it really is the only thermometer you will ever need and the last one you should ever have to buy!  I would definitely recommend the Exergen Temporal Scanner and I feel that it is well worth the investment!