Other Crock Pots & Slow Cookers:

Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker

Pros

Cons

Good quality for the price

This is a nice, basic, good quality crockpot. I had an electronic version, but we sometime have small power surges which would automatically kick off crockpot. I returned it and got this one instead. It works very well, has all the features one needs in a crockpot...temperature options (Low, Medium, High), removable insert that is easy to clean, tightly fitting lid. It also retains heat for quite a long time once it is turned off which is nice when family is trickling in to eat at different times.

Time to Heat
It heats relatively quickly and evenly.

Cooking Performance
Cooks food evenly and consistently.

I spritz mine with a little cooking spray or use a Reynolds Crock Pot liner.

Not much could be easier than pouring a bunch of raw items into a crockpot with some broth or sauce and going about your day while lunch or dinner cooks.

One thing I would like would be a locking lid which this model does not have. It would make it easier to prep and then take it elsewhere to cook or eat.

Much to my dismay, my sister-in-law completely submerged the heating unit in soapy water. I was sure she had ruined it, but it still works fine. I would not recommend doing that unless the unit specifically states that it is safe to do so.

First time Crock Pot Cooker

This is my first time owning a crock pot.  I never grew up with a family that used one so when all my friends said to me they were making these great crock pot dinners I figured I better get one.  I asked around to find out which one was a good one and what features I would want or need and everyone said this was the one to get.  DONE, EASY.... so I got it adn decided what my first crock pot meal would be.  Pulled pork... yum... got the recipe and followed the directions.  BURNED!!!!  I was shocked my friends said that would NEVER happened.  What did I do wrong.  My second meal in the crock pot was going to be a chicken dish and I was going to watch it carefully this time.  It started boiling really fast, I believe maybe mine just cooks much hotter then others.  I packaged it back up and returned it and got a new one (same model and type just different unit).  Second one is a little better but I definatley see that it has a "hot spot" in it where it gets much hotter then other places in the crock.  I believe dishes like mac and cheese or drier dishes that don't boil at the end but are firmer may burn or have problems with this one.  Great for stews, beans, soups, etc... but the drier foods may be a problem.

Pretty good

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker:

I got this for a good deal otherwise I would have gone with the 6 (+) quart size. I like this one, but I liked my old one better so it may bias my feelings. It does what it is supposed to do.

Cooking Performance
It cooks high or it cooks low. It does okay at both of these, but does not have the ability to automatically turn off or hold temperature.

It is fairly easy to clean. It seems like it is easier to accumulate burnt on bits in this round shape. That may be due to the smaller volume and it's contents over cooking. A cleaning advantage with the round shape is that it fits nicely in the sink in the event that it needs to soak for a spell.

It is pretty easy to use because there really are not a whole lot of options

I like the round shape. There are some advantages to simple.

It has held up pretty well but we have not had it very long. It does take a little bit of banging up in our cramped cupboard because of space constraints and it takes the abuse well.

• Cooking Performance:

Terrific 5 quart crockpot with a little added bonus!

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker:

This crockpot is just right for my growing family. It holds a 5 lb. roast, with vegetables and sauce. I went looking for the perfect crockpot/slow cooker for my family of four (soon to be five) and didn't want to pay to much. I want to save money, use cheaper cuts of meat, but not compromise on the taste or texture. This is exactly right. I can cook just enough for dinner and leftovers, which my husband takes to work, without losing time or money. Make a beef roast one night, have BBQ sandwiches the next day; or roast a whole small chicken and home chicken noodle soup for the weekend. It even comes with a small warmer for extra vegetables or gravy. Great value for the money!

Time to Heat
Heats quickly and evenly.

Cooking Performance
Cooks evenly and thoroughly without the need to stir.

Removable stone insert makes cleaning a breeze, just soak overnight for those tough nights.

If I can use this without incident anyone can.

The smart stainless steel design is sleek and matches my appliances.

I have had this for two months so far with no problems.

Good quality for the price

from Christiansburg, VA

Time to Heat
It heats relatively quickly and evenly.

Cooking Performance
Cooks food evenly and consistently.

I spritz mine with a little cooking spray or use a Reynolds Crock Pot liner.

Decent

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker:

This was the first Crock Pot I ever purchased and I got it mostly because it was cheap, I had heard of the brand and it looked nice. Having learned a lot since then I probably wouldn't purchase it again but it has served me well for over ten years and once I figured out what I was doing wrong I have consistently good results with it. The most important thing I learned after ruining quite a few meals and actually giving up on crock pot cooking for a while as a result is that this crock pot gets much higher than most. If a recipe says to cook something on low for 8 hours this will have it done in five hours on low. It gets hot. Both the inside and also the outside. My solution has been to either cut cooking time in half or use a lower heat setting than the recipe calls for. I have a tendency to start a crock pot meal at 2 in the afternoon so the fact that this cooks so quickly is often a good thing for the sake of my family who don't want to eat dinner at 8. But if I am making a recipe that says it takes eight hours on low and am actually starting it eight hours before I want dinner ready I will set it to warm instead of low. There are definitely better slow cookers available on the market though.

Great slow cooker!!

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker:

I love this slow cooker, it's a great size, cooks food evenly, makes cooking quick and easy and has a very easy clean up.

Time to Heat
This crock-pot heats very quickly, just add your food in and cut it on and within very few minutes it's the crock-pot is already hot

Cooking Performance
Cooks everything to perfection with almost no work

Very simple to clean, all you have to do is take out the inner part of the crock-pot and either wash it by hand or you can even put it into the dishwasher for an even easier way to clean it.

Extremely simple to use, just add in your food and turn it on and in a few hours you will have a delicious fully cooked meal right in front of you.

Great design, the only thing I would change on this crock-pot is to have it be digital instead of having to turn the dial because it won't automatically go to warm when the food is done cooking so I don't really feel comfortable leaving the house with this one on.

Extremely durable, just be careful with the ceramic so you don't accidentally crack it.

We love ours!

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker:

Works very well for soups, meats, everything!

Time to Heat
Usually we cook meals that require the full 8-10 hours, so time to heat is never an issue...we just set it once we are done preparing and it does its thing.

Just make sure you soak it in soapy water when you are finished if you can't clean it right away!

Still no good!

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker:

I've tried this model as well and I decided to return this one as well.

The reason is because there is not a decent seal when you close the lid of the crock pot. Now the problem is that I received a plastic lid with this and so the heat retention was not good and the finished product ended up less cooked than expected.

It's not a stable machine because the steam can actually cause the lid to rattle. It can also result in the contents of the pot to spill as well.

The low setting is not that good because the temperature was a bit too high for my liking and sometimes my products got burned.

Crock Pots should definitely have adjustable or programmable temperature settings because this is getting ridiculous.

I was unable to leave this on without any supervision because I was unaware of how high the temperature will reach. As a result, I was scared of fire hazards.

Time to Heat
Burns your food. Heats up too quickly and too hot of a temperature

Crock-Pot 5-QuartRoundManualSlowCooker SCR500-SS Does A Fine job

from Stockton, CA

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker:

Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker SCR500-SS is a cooker that cooks foods pretty well. It is made of stainless steel, which will be durable for many years. It has different settings, which are easy to use. You can choose to cook your food slow, medium or fast. This cooker makes chili, soups, Gumbo, rice, vegetables and many other foods taste delicious. It makes roasts and stews almost perfectly. Making meat, pork and steak in it, is a breeze. This is a slow cooker that cooks faster than its name. I like cooking fish and potatoes in it. Time just flies by! I put the fish and potatoes in the slow cooker, and then I go do a few things around the house. I would say it takes me about two hours and a half, then I come back and check on the food and it is done. I just look through the see-through lid to make sure first. This crock-pot takes a little bit of time to clean it. I think the design of this slow cooker is sleek and space-aged looking. The color of this cooker will go with any kitchen décor. This slow cooker is medium-weight, but it will fit on any counter top easily. I think the price is fair as well. I give the Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker SCR500-SS a “7” on a scale of 1-10, and I give it 4 STARS.

Crock Pot Proves Slow and Steady Wins the Race

from Long Island City, NY

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker:

My family never used a crock pot when I was growing up. As a working mom, I had heard about them but felt anxious about trying one. After having beef stew my friend made in a crock pot, I was sold. It was delicious and she said it was practically no work. I like that combination and decided it was time to try a crock pot myself.

The Crock Pot 5 Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker SCR500-SS is simple to use and looks attractive on the kitchen counter. I prefer basic appliances that don't take forever to learn how to use. I discovered this was easy to learn and the results are fantastic. I simply put liquid, vegetable and meat in the crock pot in the morning and have an impressive dinner by early evening. I prefer to use the low setting and add a decent amount of liquid for the best results. I use it to make chicken soup, beef stew and various roasts including my yummy corned beef and cabbage with sliced red skin potatoes. It feels good to make a healthy dinner every night rather than pre-packaged foods or a fast food dinner. It also makes me look like a culinary star!

Crockpot to the Rescue!

from Hamilton, OH

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker:

As a working mom of 4 boys, it's tough to find time get a healthy meal on the dinner table each night. I love my Crock-Pot Slow Cooker-it has come to my rescue several times!! It's so easy to just dump the ingrediants in before work and let them cook all day.
This slow cooker looks great on my counter-the stainless steel matches my decor perfectly. This is not your grandma's slow cooker.
The ceramic slow cooker insert comes out for easy clean up. I usually squirt a little dishwasher detergant in mine and let it soak overnight. They are safe for the dishwasher but it's rather bulky and take up a lot of space, so I'd rather wash by hand.
All in all, this little appliance is one of the most used gadgets in our home! :)