3.6
Blackberry
BlackBerry Pearl Smartphone

BlackBerry Pearl Smartphone

3.6

Great way to keep connected via phone, email, or texting + more!

The new T-Mobile BlackBerry Pearl 8120 replaced the 8100.  I had the 8100 Sapphire and upgraded to the 8120.Upgraded features include: the addition of Wi-Fi, bigger camera memory, camera flash, better pixels, mouse cursor like on the net (but not as fully functional).Loss with upgrade: quick one touch Bluetooth feature, no color choices - only plain boring gray.Overall I am happy with the 8120. The improvements between the two are minimal however, and I do miss a specific feature that I have found is not available on the 8120, but many would probably not even notice. I'm kind of a details person, LOL.I upgraded my cell phone to the BlackBerry because I was looking to be able to access the internet for job related reasons. I am a substitute teacher and I have to log onto the computer to get assignments. During the day I have no computer access as substitutes are not allowed on the computers. I found that many people would have family members look for jobs for them, so that by the time I arrived home, there were not any jobs available on many occasions. My solution then would be to find a way around that glitch and a BlackBerry was the answer.I love that it's easy to use, has a QWERTY Keyboard, remembers frequently typed items, can receive and send email, has programmable ring tones (so you can prioritize callers) and loads more options. The internet utilizes T-Mobile browser, but you can change search engines to one that you prefer. It has a nice size display screen. The main area is customizable so you can put items you use the most in the top 5 (that way they show all the time without having to show the whole menu). This is where I was disappointed in the change from the 8100 to the 8120. On the 8100 I was able to turn the Bluetooth on and off from my main 5 and it was a quick one touch. With the 8120, they added a Wi-Fi feature (which the 8100 didn't have). Because of this, it changed the way you access the Bluetooth, so now it is a multi-step action. More annoying for me because of the additional steps required, but not a major problem - just an annoyance. I have yet to use the Wi-Fi (which is the whole reason they removed the one click feature for the Bluetooth). It comes with a nice variety of ring tones, and as with all phones, you can always buy more. You can program a different ring for each family member if you like and you can make it behave differently if it is in the case or not in the case. It is relatively simple to figure out and sitll it has a lot of nice features.*One caution if you are a cell phone user switching to BlackBerry:* If you need to reach a phone number that is spelled out, you know, like those 1.800.custom1 - it won't work.  The numbers and letters do not match-up where they are on a standard phone; so, when you think you are spelling custom1, which on a regular phone would be 2878661, you will instead be typing this number: 73?2.91 - NOT even close.  The problem with QWERTY keyboards is they use more keys to represent the same amount of characters on a regular phone, so they do NOT match up.

Blackberry Pearl 8120 nice introduction to smart phones

The Blackberry Pearl 8120 was the first smart phone I purchased. After having the most basic cell phones, usually the free one that came with the contract, I was really pleased with the Blackberry Pearl. It is easy to navigate, and the features are nice. I especially enjoy Blackberry Messaging (BBM), as many of my friends have Blackberrys as well. This saves money, because I do not need to send out nearly as many text messages. I also like the camera and GPS features.

One drawback, which may be common of many smart phones, is that when the memory is full, there is no notification. I noticed that I was not receiving messages, and the messages that I sent out were not being received. After troubleshooting, I realized that simply taking out the battery every few days solves the problem. Unfortunately, there is no warning, so you do not know if you are missing messages and if yours are being sent.

For me, I do not think the Blackberry Pearl is the best option. I do not have a job that requires me to send and receive a lot of emails. I think Blackberrys are great for business people, but another smart phone might offer better applications for people who do not use their phone frequently for work.

Trackball can make navigation annoying, though compact in size

from Portland, OR

Comments about BlackBerry Pearl Smartphone:

This phone often drives me crazy. The trackball can be too sensitive or not sensitive enough. There is limited memory capacity available without buying an addional card. Pictures are so-so. I am ready for a new phone!

The Blackberry 8120 Is The Most Enjoyable Phone You'll Ever Buy!

from Brooklyn, NY

Comments about BlackBerry Pearl Smartphone:

The Blackberry 8120 is a very sleek phone that allows you to add applications making it even more fun than it already is. I've had my phone for about a year now and I absolutely love it! I go everywhere with my blackberry because it has everything I need in it. Its memory is quite large compared to other phones I've used and the pictures and music come out great. Overall I've seen no serious cons with the blackberry yet. I hope yours gives you the same satisfaction that mine gave me!

An average phone for a blackberry

from Flint, MI

Comments about BlackBerry Pearl Smartphone:

This isn't the first blackberry I've owned and it will not be my last. However it is also not my favorite ! I bought it because of it's smaller size. I figured fully functional in a smaller, cuter and more lady like package. It can do anything any other blackberry can do. It's got a great battery life, a super camera, my calls are clear and reception is impeccable. There are a million applications available to help simplify and organize your life. It is a quality product that is durable, I have dropped mine a couple of times. Now for the down falls, I find the web access can be a bit slow and frustrating at times. If you are like me and use your phone/blackberry for paying bills, searching information for products you are considering buying, keeping in touch via email, or any other web browsing application this is not the phone for you. Depending on the size of your fingers you might find the keyboard a bit small to type on. My husband complains every time he borrows my phone. Overall a good phone for the price and you can't beat the design.

Blackberry small but great phone!

from Gaffney, SC

Comments about BlackBerry Pearl Smartphone:

I absolutly love my Blackberry Pearl Cellphone. It is just the right size and has all the features that the larger phones have. I do reccommend that if you download apps on this phone to make sure you have enough memory on it, because my phone started locking up and not working properly and it was due to the fact that I was downloading apps and did not have enough memory for all of them. The camera and video on this phone is great. I could take great looking picutres with my phone. My battery on the blackberry pearl lasted longer than previous phones that I had and I stay on my phone alot more than the other phones. The only downfall on the phone that I can think of it that it does not have the full QWERTY board, other than that it is a great working phone. You can also find the cutest phone covers for this phone type, for those who are fashion forward with their phones :) I would reccommend this phone to anyone looking for a great working smartphone.

Great Small Smartphone

from Yorktown, VA

Comments about BlackBerry Pearl Smartphone:

Got the Blackberry for my birthday and was in love instantly. Loved the size and weight. So often they are heavy and bulky. I had only a small learning curve on learning the functions and how to use them. Most of the time it was where the features were located, but if I had read the manual it would have been even less. I also really love the shiny pearl look to it. It stands out among other phones because it looks more personal. It seems like I am able to do everything I need on it: check email, send texts, get online, etc. I've found tons of cool apps to download and use on it. I will suggest to get the extra memory to put in it because there is not much in there without it. The keys are also really small and you have to cycle through them when typing to get to the correct letters, but for a basic smart phone it is a really good starter option. Once you love it you can always upgrade to a bigger one with even more features!

Blackberry Pearl 8120 nice introduction to smart phones

from Fond Du Lac, WI

Love it...

from Whittier, CA

Comments about BlackBerry Pearl Smartphone:

I have had this phone for 2 years now and it is starting to break on me. The only really big compliant that I do hae about this phone is the flash for the camera is way too bright. I tried to take a picture of my son when he was like 2 months old and he was blinded by the flash. I love the fact that it has the ability to do video because sometimes it is just to hard to pull the video camera out so if your phone has that ability it is so much better. When I first got the phone I thought that the buttons where way to small but now I can work with the buttons it just took some getting used to.  The battery life is awesome if you don't use the phone that often but it seems as the phone get older the battery life gets worse. If you don't know how to use a blackberry then when you first get this phone you can be a little confused by it like I was but once you get used to it then you will know how to use a blackberry in no time.

the blackbery pearl 8120 cell phone is special ..it has many fea

from Durham, NC

Comments about BlackBerry Pearl Smartphone:

the blackberry phone has many features and i love it because its not that big and it is easy to carry with you..it also has good picture and quality in which you can do good by picking up the internet and taking picture without any problems if you has the money i would advise you to get one because i am...

Don't buy this phone

from Dallas, TX

Comments about BlackBerry Pearl Smartphone:

I must say that this phone is terrible. There is a host of issues that I've encountered and I feel it is the worst phone I have EVER had.

I'm on my 3rd blackberry pearl phone. The only reason I've had 3? Well, I bought the warranty. The phone sounds great on paper, but there are so many issues that I have had with it. One being the software problems. It always seems like the software is crapping out on itself. The memory capacity is terrible, so you will need a memory card. The phone freezes and I have often had to take the battery out and restart it.

It takes forever to boot up, the camera on mine has had plenty of issues; sometimes it wouldn't work and sometimes it wouldn't save the pictures.

It got to the point where the phone was deleting random items. The charger area on the phone where you plug in the device is fragile, mine broke after 3 months of use. Just save yourself the trouble and purchase a different blackberry or do yourself a favor and buy the warranty.

Not good for an avid texter

from Weston, CT

Comments about BlackBerry Pearl Smartphone:

I have had my Blackberry Pearl 8120 for about 3 months now. I like the look and style of it but the only thing I am not happy with is the keys. Because there is more than one letter on each key it is hard to text if you just want to send  out short little texts. However, I find that easy to adjust to. Another disadvantage is the pearl. I find that it gets stuck sometimes. I dont know if it is because there is dirt around or if it is just the phone acting up. Some positives are that the battey life is long and it does not take long to charge. The resolution is what you would expect from a phone of this size and quality. The internet gets coverage pretty quickly which is nice. Another advantage is that pages don't take very long to load. The price is also very good for what you get. Another advantage is the great amera. Youwould expect this lightweight and portable phone to have such a great camera. I find that when I take pictures they come out in great quality and resolution. There are many settings to fit your preference. All in all I would recommend this phone for someone who wants a good deal but is not an obsessive texter.