But, there's a newer version

See latest version

Apple iPod Touch 1st Generation MP3 Player

Pros

Cons

• Battery Life:

Can't stop touching this Ipod!

I honestly never really figured out what all the "fuss" was about with Mp3 players, not to mention Ipods. For me, if I want music it is all around me, I simply turn on the radio or a music channel or listen to music streaming on-line.  But I recently got a chance at life with the **Ipod Touch** and Wow, you almost can't stop touching this portable media player.

The **Ipod touch** has tons of features and I doubt I could list them any better than [oharrydon][1] did in his review.  But I will list some of my favorites features on the** Ipod Touch: **

- video player

- music player

- all your contacts, notes, messages, music and video well organized you can find it by song, artist, album whatever.

- so easy to use in minutes I was able to figure it all out

- the maps if you can access the internet using the built in wireless feature you can save yourself some time with GPS systems

- notes - I am always needed to remind myself of something

- ability to EASILY use it with compatible DVD music players

- take music and videos anywhere

- lightweight

- looks great - very "classy"

What didn't I like about the **Ipod Touch**?  The keypad is not only touchy (grabbing letters I never typed) but the keyboard is also very small making it difficult to choose the right letter even if you have fingers the size of my 3 yr old.  I can also see me losing it on a regular basis, I am lucky to keep track of my cell phone but that is a problem with my organizational skills not this lightweight, slim line, classy looking player. Last but not least, the price! Sticker shock has nothing on this!

Is the **Ipod Touch** worth the price?  Yes for those who will use it and honestly, my son uses it! Over and over and over again. It goes everywhere with him.  I think he would have it implanted in his bicep if he could.  So, if you love your music and videos and are into "in demand" then you can't miss with the memory and features available on the Ipod Touch.

PS:  While I don't recommend it and see that others have said it's not durable I can say it's been dropped, stepped on, and left out in the rain and this particular Ipod takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Apple-iPod-touch-8-GB-2000-Songs-Digital-Media-Player-MA623LL-A--160939-review-fdbc

Apple iPod is... definitely not what I like about apple.

I love apple's computers. If I ever have the money- all the computers I ever buy will be apples. I love their computers, and how they work and even the keyboard and layout. Which is in my experience, what most people dislike about them. Computers are epic.

However, I don't really like apple and this would be the reason; The iPod.

I have an iPod Touch, 8 gb and everything. It's the 3rd generation. I like how you can have lots of apps, and do lots of different things with it however... it shouldn't be called a media player. Because it's so much more... however, I hate this; How apple always puts everything in their own format, so you have to buy stuff from iTunes for your iPod, and you can't use it on anything else if your computer isn't an apple. Plus, you can't save the files to your computer, it just saves to your iTunes library. Which is a waste of money, because of the fact that it doesn't save to both is a major investment risk. Plus, I hate the rave about apple, I know they are the best, and they probably are most likely. Actually, they are definitely. But- it shouldn't be such a social statement. Since when does it make you 'cool' to have an iPod or an 'Apple'? That's just degrading. It almost makes me not want to have one. But that's not apples fault- it's peoples.

Right after I got mine, I went jogging and it slipped out of its carrier, and fell onto the ground. The screen cracked all over and yeah. It just wasn't cool. Costs a fourtune to get it fixed so... this is not a media player though. It's more like a mini computer. Don't buy a net book- buy an iPod touch or iPad if you have the money:)

Great product for the gym

from Lansdale, PA

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 1st Generation MP3 Player:

I use this product primary for the gym. You can surf the internet but the browser is slow. it is very easy to connect to wifi. Printing is a problem though. Most applications will not let you print to a printer.

Sound Quality
Great sound. I have hooked it up to the car, to headphones and to sound boards. It works well to transport music back and forth. However if you are using it without headphones it is not that loud.

Preforms without a lot of bugs. The hardest thing to get around is most wifi set ups are not fast.

Battery Life
If you are just using it for music and for about 1 hour each day it lasts for over a month. With wifi use it is dramatically shorter.

Lets just say I haven't dropped it but it puts up with me running and lifting at the gym.

Very easy to use touch screen. It works exactly like an ipad in that fashion.

Great for checking emails

from Oakland Gardens, NY

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 1st Generation MP3 Player:

I'm coming on the scene with this device a little late...but glad i got it (at walmart in nh) first off...what a surprise about it's safari web browser...this completely beats microsoft's pocket pc explorer. does everything a normal web browser does (no cut-n-paste or copy/cut) the video player is excellent...nice wide screen, sharp image, and i didn't have choppy playback. ripped dvds, itunes music videos and movies...it'll all play on this gadget. music...always been apples strong point and the ipods bread-n-butter. very consistant from past ipods, and the cover flow music selector is very nice addition. the home menu is very organized with the option to create additional pages with more bookmarks/utilities. email program works great with google and yahoo! mail...only weak point is that google users won't be able to tab emails, and yahoo users won't be able to flag an email. all around...great device.

IPod touch is really really great

from Apex, NC

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 1st Generation MP3 Player:

The Ipod touch is a pretty, pretty, pretty cool product/electronic. I have one myself, and I love it. The only problem is each few months or each year they come out with a more advanced version. There are some aawesome free apps such as Rock Band, Glow Draw, Finger Basketball, Tic Tac Toe, etc. The back of the Ipod gets really dirty making finger prints very visible and it's easily scratched. It isn't the best for atheltic activites such as running. When you run, and if it bounces too much, the song jumps from one to another. Some applications are meant for the IPhone, so sometimes even if you're willing to pay you cannot access the application or download it. Also, if you're trying to keep track of calories, workouts, and weight lose, there are apps and a Nike app on your ipod that you can personalize to meet your own needs and accuratley keep track. I hope this information was helpful to you!

Great!

from Mcdonough, GA

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 1st Generation MP3 Player:

Ok so i bought the ipod touch about two years ago, And have really liked it! The graphics on the ipod screen are amazing! Im also in love with the sound of the music through your headphones. One of the downfalls is there are not built in speakers. You can buy an ihome or external speakers but i personally would like to have built in speakers. I also think you should be able to add a background to your ipod! The only way you are able to do that is if you jailbreak it, (which i dont recommend) i had mine jailbroken for about a month and it slowed it down A TON!!! So i would not recommend that! Also there are a bunch of good games avalible at the app store, Including my favorite angry birds lol. But overall i would give the ipod touch 1st generation Four Stars out of Five!

Only beacause there are no speakers and you are not able to have a background! I would recommend this to someone who wants a cheaper ipod with games and internet.

Ipod touch good for those without a smartphone

from San Jose, CA

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 1st Generation MP3 Player:

I've had my ipod touch for a little over two years. Since it's a first generation touch, it's a bit dated in terms of features. I purchased it for a great price though, and it has served me very well over the years. The only thing that I wish it had was an external speaker for when you're playing games without headphones. Besides that and the lack of external volume buttons, I have no use for any of the other features on new ipod touches (Bluetooth, video camera, etc)

The 16GB capacity is enough for my MP3 collection, apps and games. To be honest though, I hardly ever reach for my Ipod touch anymore. Despite it's great, sleek form factor, I just can't justify carrying it around since I already have a smartphone that can do everything it can, and more. Pretty much any of the higher-end smartphones nowdays will be able to hold at least 16GB's worth of data (through microSD expansion cards), play MP3's and videos, and be able to download apps. Really, there is no reason to carry around a seperate device when your phone can do it all.

Since I have an Android phone (HTC Droid Incredible), I mainly use my ipod touch in my clock radio that features an ipod docking port. I still use it once in a while to play games that are only on the itunes network.

Wish it had external volume buttons and a speaker like the newer iPod's.

• Battery Life:

iPod Touch, touching on every bit of my life

from Long Beach, CA

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 1st Generation MP3 Player:

With a simple to use interface and unlimited possibilities, the iPod Touch is one of the best devices out there today. Covering all your needs in music as well as news through the use of Apple's App Store, let's not forget games and such. Although some of the prices have increased lately, that's not a problem due to the fact that there are quite a few amazing free Apps as well which do just as well depending on what you need. Storage is a bit lax though, music can be quite limiting depending on the quality that you choose to import into your iPod. Does it make a difference? To each their own. Simply with a Wi-Fi connection, you are able to visit websites, check the news through Apps, check the weather and stock market, anything you can imagine there most likely is an App for it. Besides Apps, the Touch already comes pre-loaded with the basic YouTube, stock market, weather forecast, and calculator.

Great iPod

from Pinole, CA

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 1st Generation MP3 Player:

I purchased this iPod touch first generation a few months after it came out since I needed it for Internet. I use it every day and have been using it for the past few years every morning and it is still running good. The back is very scratch prone as I tried to keep the back as best as possible but it eventually got scratched up. The battery life is decent enough to last me a few days.  Unfortunately they don’t update the firmware for this iPod anymore so I am stuck at version three. The good things are that it still supports some games from the app store which came out shortly after I purchased this ipod touch. Sometimes this ipod touch can be slow when compared to my iphone but it runs games fine. The only downside is sometimes the games lag and take a super long time to load. The screen never scratches, unlike the newer screens this screen makes smudge marks but the good thing is that it doesn’t scratch at all so it is very durable. There is also a few stuck pixels on my iPod touch, they got stuck while watching a youtube video right when I got it. Overall this is the best ipod out of the ipod lineup.

the ipod touch is awesone and easy to use

from Pueblo, CO

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 1st Generation MP3 Player:

the i pod touch **1st Generation (16 GB) MP3 Player is one of the best items i have ever bought and i would reccomend it to every one of my friends and family members . it has a ver good battery life and is very simple to use, also its screen is clear and the touch screen is one of the best i have ever seen. it is very sleek and perfect size for travel and also has a good amount of memory for all your favorite music . the best thing about it is it doesnt freeze like most of the competition,it has an awesome procceser and is way ahead of any other company..all in all its a great investment and reasonable price.**

Reliable device, slightly awkward interface

from Madison, WI

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 1st Generation MP3 Player:

A fantastic present from a relative has turned out to be a digital lifesaver when my computer has been out of comission.  I have used it primarily as a communications device instead of an .mp3 player, and synching my Mail program in my Mac was easy.

Some issues arise when apps update in the itunes store and your iPod touch does not have the system software to support it.  Buying OS updates becomes frustrating, especially when now there is not a ton of support for the first generation model.

My unit also has issues with its orientation (holding it upright or sideways) and there is often lag or a complete lack of information when turning the unit.  This may be fixable but it is not a cost I am willing to foot it, as I think the money might be spent better on the next iPod generation or upgrading to an iPhone.

The ability to engrave the back of the device is also nice, makes a great gift with something cute or just a name.  Be creative.

Perfect, except no speaker!

from Champaign, IL

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 1st Generation MP3 Player:

I love the iPod touch, it has so many features missing on equivalent devices. If you don't need a cell phone built in, it has every other feature you woudl need. It easily connects to wireless networks when I'm out and travelling, dowloads email efficiency and can hold enough to be useful. I find typing using their touch screen on their keyboard to be straight forward and love that by rotating it 90 degrees you can get a wide or narrow keyboard depending on what you prefer at the time.

The Apps are a great addition not seen with their more basic iPods an that has made the iPod touch really worht the money as I use a lot and my preschool aged daughter loves the different apps that are perfect for her to enjoy, both education and fun that we can easily pull out when she wants something to do.

My only complaint about the 1st generation is that there are no external speakers, so you must use headphones, unlike subsequent generations where it is able to make sound by itself, this is particularly an issue if a young child wants to use the device as the headphones are tricky for them to use.