Other Asthma Medicines:
Advair Diskus

Advair Diskus

Pros

Cons

The one thing that stops my asthma cold.

Boy, it's nice not to worry about where your next breath's coming from!

Boy, it's nice not to worry about where your next breath's coming from!

After going through various inhalers, *Singulair*, and other products, my doctor gave me a sample of the powder inhaler in the purple disk -- **Advair Diskus 250**.  The 250 refers to 250 mcg *fluticasone propionate* (also found in the drug *Flovent)* and 50 mcg *salmeterol* inhalation powder (found in the older drug *Serevent)*. **Advair** also comes in 150 and 500 dosages.  Inhalations are recommended at 12 hour intervals (one each time) for any of these packs.

As a Tender Flower, I find that the nightly inhalation is often enough for the 24-hour period.  I reactly strongly to medication, but I also have my worst asthma at nighttime and dawn.  Either or both of those things may account for one inhalation being enough.  I know my body pretty well.  (If the wind's blowing, I inhale twice a day as directed.)

My needs may also be modified because of the trusty air purifiers in my office and bedroom.  (See [www.viewpoints.com/Honeywell-Air-Purifier-QuietCare-Air-Cleaner-17000-HEPA-review-f03e2][1] for an excellent product line.

I've also found that, out of season, I can go for weeks without **Advair**.  Regular preventative useage is officially recommended.  Once again, you must "listen" to your body and also note that *GlaxoSmithKline* has a distinct interest in the continuous use of this product.

**Advair Diskus** is *not* a replacement for the orange inhaler, *Proventil*, with which so many asthmatics start out.  *Proventil* and a number of similar quick-acting inhalers now qualify as "rescue inhalers" and, yes, we still have to carry them around in pocket or purse for any breathing emergencies.

**Advair** ***is very expensive***.  Unless you have excellent insurance and reasonable co-pays, you may want to ask your doctor for samples.  My doctor (who also has asthma and knows the territory) keeps me well supplied and is happy to do so.  In these days of out-of-control medical prices, it's worth pushing for samples no matter *what* your doctor's disposition!

After doing your **Advair** inhalation, be sure and rinse out your mouth very thoroughly.  The chemicals left in the mouth are, to quote my doc, "very nasty stuff".  That might scare me away if **Advair** hadn't improved the quality of my life VASTLY!

Above all, ***READ THE DIRECTIONS*** and follow them to the letter when you begin treatment.  This is a drug you will probably need for the rest of your life!

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Honeywell-Air-Purifier-QuietCare-Air-Cleaner-17000-HEPA-review-f03e2

Advair Diskus For Those With Asthma or Breathing Problems

I have had Asthma all my life. I have never know what it is like to not have asthma. I was kept in croup tents in the hospital a lot when I was a toddler. You really don't know what it is like to not get that breath of air unless it was to happen to you. The gasping and the feeling you have is terrifying!

I have been to many Doctors over the years, including Doctors to test me for allergies and yes, I am allergic to almost everything. All animals except for turtles and fish, so about anything can set off my asthma. But I love my animals and do not want to be without them, so I went through so many allergy shots, but the problem still persists. I now see a specialist who does yearly testing. The one thing they recommend for me though is to take this Advair and use it 4 times a day. Thats a lot of medicine a day if you think about it. You can't tip this when you use it and you can't exhale into it. This is very costly for those without insurance.

The Advair leaves a powdered film inside your lungs and bronchail tubes which is said to relax them over time so you won't have so many problems. Well, I for one, hate it. I used it to start with but it can be a pain to have to use it, get up and rinse your mouth, then drink a glass of water to help wash it down. And 4 times a day? Not for me.

This powder you inhale can leave you with mouth sores if you forget to rinse your mouth or if you don't rinse it well enough. I am sticking to my inhalor and nebulizer machine if I need them.

Breath Easier With Advair Diskus

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Advair Diskus:

There are times when I have a little bit of trouble breathing; mostly it is when I am around people who are wearing cologne or perfume and it irritates my throat. I was hospitalized with pneumonia and was given two different inhalers to treat my breathing issues from the infection. The Advair Diskus is convenient to carry and has a numeric read out window so you can see how many doses are left in the inhaler.

I have been using this for a couple of days when I notice my breathing is a little labored and it starts to work in less than ten minutes but in most cases I can feel it opening up my lungs in a matter of minutes.

This is used the same way as a regular inhaler but the delivery system and set up design are more modern. If you are used to a regular inhaler it might take a little bit of time to get used to this one but the results are about the same. I don't have any ongoing or recurring issues with breathing but it is nice to know that if I need this, it is there. I started with 60 doses and expect to have that last at least three months if not more.

I am sure that if I need a refill I will be able to get one from my doctor but I don't have to become dependent on having something like this to improve my breathing. It is covered under my current insurance plan so I am lucky that I was able to get it without paying a co-pay or for the whole thing out of pocket.

Finally something that works for me.

Comments about Advair Diskus:

I am recovering from Bronchitis on top of a severe asthma flare up and was prescribed this because my Albuterol inhaler/nebulizer treatments weren't touching my wheeze and cough and I started waking up every few hours in the night not able to breathe well. Within an hour after taking Advair I started feeling relief. The taste isn't bad, it's quick to do, easy to handle and I've benefitted greatly from Advair!

I take this twice a day, once in the morning and once before bed. After 2-3 days of medication along with Advair I'm feeling great and nearly back to normal. Normally after about an hour or so of chores/moderate exercise I'll start to wheeze but after taking Advair for a week or so that problem has been solved. I can now do light to moderate exercise without wheezing or with a slight wheeze I can make go away naturally by relaxing and that is something I haven't been able to do in years!

The reason why I'm not giving this a ten is because I still wake up with a wheeze and have to use my rescue inhaler to get rid of it. But other than that, it works wonders.

The worst asthma medicine on the market, Hands Down!

Comments about Advair Diskus:

All of these reviews saying "Advair has changed my life" sound like paid adverts for a bad commercial. Advair indeed changed my life, but not in the way advertised.

I have had Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder in the form of Chronic Bronchitis since I was a small child. Now, at 25, It has only continued to hamper my ability to anything more strenuous than sneeze... Seasonal allergies ontop of my family members' unhealthy addiction to tobbacco, need to have pets, and aversion to cleaning has caused my daily life to be ruled by a medical-induced-drowse, or to be locked down with congestion, coughing, sinuses, and illness.

I was promised relief in the Advair Discus, but since have only acquired heart palpatations from continued use of this terrible product. My health was significantly effected by Advair, and my life changed... But not for th better. Now, instead of just having COPD, I have COPD and serious Cardiac problems.

Do not take this drug! Do not let your doctor, who is being paid to prescribe this crap, strong-arm you into inhailing what I compare most closely to Wasp-Spray in a Disc.

If there were a sixth category labelled "nearly lethal to user" I would have ticked i instead!

fantastic medicine

from Jackson, GA

Comments about Advair Diskus:

My son is allergic to dogsand Adviar has been wonderful for him.He can be around them but has to have his rescue inhaler if needed.Before he had to have his nebulizer, it's nice not carrying that everywhere.He loves DOGS!!!WE use Advair in our pediactric office alot.

the best asthma medication

from Geneseo, NY

Comments about Advair Diskus:

I have been through a lot of asthma medication throughout my life and this is by far my favorite.  It is easy to use and it works really well.  It is so much better than having to use a nebulizer.  Having to drink a glass of water and rinse your mouth afterwards is a drawback, but I still think it's worth it.

Convenient and easy to use and good response.

from Bennington, VT

Comments about Advair Diskus:

Working in a pulmonary physician office we have seen wonderful results with most patients when using Advair.

It is easy to use with great results. Must remember to rinse mouth out after using or thrush could occur as a result.

Some of our older patients find it difficult not having the meter dose inhaler to push when they inhale. With some patient teaching it seems to work better.

So easy to use and it works very well

from Kannapolis, NC

Comments about Advair Diskus:

I have moderate to sometimes severe asthma. I have been using the Advair Diskus two times per day for almost three years now. Once when I wake up and once at night.  It takes only a few seconds each time and the results have been wonderful for me! Before Advair I was using my emergency inhaler (Albuterol) a lot. I also have a nebulizer at home and was having to use it way too much before I started using Advair. But since I started using Advair I've only had to use my nebulizer one time and that was a long time ago! I hope using Advair works as well for other people as it has for me.

With Advair my pets get to stay in the house

from Fort Worth, TX

Comments about Advair Diskus:

When I started on Advair I was looking at having to get rid of my cat and dog. I found a few yrs ago the reason I was s osick all the time and my Asthma could not be controlled was my cat and dog dander allergies. My pcp wanted me to remove the animals from the home, this was not an option for me. I talked to my allergist about it and he decided to try me out on Advair, it took awhile and I am on the highest dose but Boo Kitty and Romeo sleep with me everynight and I can breathe in the morning so I love advair.

Helps me Breath

from Maxton, NC

Comments about Advair Diskus:

I suffer from brohncitis and ashtma. And it is terrible when you can't breath. I was diagnosed about three years ago and was given an inhaler. My son-in-law told me he used the Advair disk for his ashtma and told me to get my doctor to let me try it. I did. It helps me breathe much better and I don't have to use the inhaler as much now.

Makes being active easy

from Oklahoma City, OK

Comments about Advair Diskus:

I have had asthma all of my life. Using Advair allows me to be active and not worry about having my fast acting inhaler right beside me. During warmer weather, I only have to take one dose a day. When cooler weather comes along, I do have to take once in the morning and one before bed. This is MUCH better than having to take an inhaler several times a day. Don't know what I'd do without this medicine!