Other Desktops:

Dell Dimension desktop computer

Dell Dimension 4700: superb computer at a very competitive price

from Plano, TX

Comments about Dell Dimension desktop computer:

Bought Dec. 2005, it lasted me as my main computer throughout college, and beyond, for 5+ years. I regard this computer pretty highly, with only two major drawbacks.

First the pros. The computer was cheap, the base model was the cheapest around, which included a free 17" flat panel monitor, an excellent deal at the time. The computer itself is well-designed and constructed, showing an overall attention to detail with no gapping flaws. Customizing the computer was also easy, for a OEM pre-built computer, though not as easy as the ones that you build yourself. The motherboard included a PCI-Express x16 slot for a video card and 3 PCI slots for other types of cards. There were two hard drive bays, one of which was occupied by the hard drive that comes with the computer. There were also two optical drive bays. The power supply was able to handle all the extra components I put in throughout the years.

There were two major drawbacks, and a few more minor ones which made this computer not perfect. First, the CPU fan was put in the computer backwards. This caused heat to accumulate in the case, which caused one of my hard drives to overheat. Dell denies this problem, saying that it was intentional. I highly question this, as the simple act of reversing the case fan fixed this major overheating issue, which I could not solve any other way, besides leaving the side door off of the computer. Next, the motherboard was very basic, with little option for customization, and no sensors. Of course, for the price, that's understandeable. A minor drawback was that the power supply is not very quiet, and neither is the CPU fan, which uses a custom connector, which is required for the computer to boot up.

Fast and Reliable

from Pittsfield, ME

Comments about Dell Dimension desktop computer:

I owned this computer for several years and no issues at all. It uses a fast Pentium processor and I had Dell put in a high end graphics card at the time and it still holds up well to most games. Dell's tech support has always been great, and they took care of any issues I had over the years. I have owned several Dell's and still go with them. For me it is like a reliable car model, and has been good to me. Own Dell's since 1999 and no complaints here. Of course a computer several years old will show its age and it does get slow on the new games, but that is to be expected. If you do end up buying a Dell, go with a high end graphics card and as much memory as possible as it will extend the life of the computer usage. I also recommend a long warranty/tech support if you can afford it, as this smooths out any problems you may have. Overall, a great computer and loyal company. Can;t go wrong.

Fast computer, with an Intel Proccesor!

from Harbor Beach, MI

Comments about Dell Dimension desktop computer:

We got this computer as a gift from our family. So far, so good. They used to have it, but they decideded to upgrade to a new laptop. So, we got it. Windows XP Home Edition makes it easy to get things done faster and easier. The Dell Dimension 4700 includes two CD/DVD drives. One to Read/Burn CDs and the Other to Burn/Read CDs/READ DVDs. So far, we like the drives. In the front there is two usb ports along with an audio out. These I/O ports make it easy to plug in a temporary device without getting a back ache. The audio out port is nice if you want to use a diffrent type of speakers. The back includes the power, vga output, sound, etc. The back I/O are good for easy use. This computer also included Dell Speakers. The left speaker seems to fade in and out when you push up and down on the knob. The knob also is broke! The screen picture is good. The quality of the computer itself is really good.

The Dell Dimension 4700 is a great all-around computer!

from Snohomish, WA

Comments about Dell Dimension desktop computer:

We have had this computer for almost five years and it has proven to be a great all-around machine. Whenever we have had any trouble with it, we have gotten very good telephone assistance from the Dell technicians. We have also gotten excellent service from a local repair shop that was recommended by Dell when our tower ceased to work. This problem was not caused by anything technical such as a circuit board breaking down, but by almost five years of dirt that had accumulated inside the machine. Overall, our Dell Dimension 4700 Desktop Computer, which is equipped with Windows XP  Home version, has been very good to work on. Should anyone ask, I will recommend Dell computers, a pioneer in the business. (A special note: When I was working, our business switched from Dell to another brand, we were all very upset, because these machines had given us years of flawless service. In fact, these new machines broke down more readily than the Dells did!)

Great base computer for use in upgrading

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Dell Dimension desktop computer:

I purchased this computer about 4-5 years ago, so I can speak to this computer's durability. Over the years I will admit I have upgraded the memory, hard drives, optical drives, the video card, and the power supply, so if you are looking for a review of the base computer, you are reading the incorrect review. Since Dell Dimension 4700s are packaged in various ways, they all have different CPUs, memory, hard drives, and optical drives which makes it hard to have an accurate review of the base computer. My base Dell Dimension 4700 only had 256mb RAM, an Intel 2.8GHz P4 processor (the 521), a 80gb HD (which I still use as the main drive), and a CD-ROM drive. It was a decent system at the time (again it was 5 years ago). The motherboard supports up to 4GB of DDR2 ram (yes I am not lying about the DDR2). The motherboard I received in my 4700 has a PCI-X16 slot which was rare at the time especially for Dell. This opens up the possibility of upgrading this relatively modest Dell to a somewhat powerful gaming PC. The power supply is low (305W) so if you wanted to power a stronger video card, you needed to upgrade that as well. The hard drives are connected via SATA I. Finally, this system uses a lot of passive cooling by default, which is a good and bad thing. It is good because it makes very little noise, but it is bad because things like higher powered video cards tend to heat up quite a bit inside. Just something to keep in mind if you somehow purchase a 4700 nowadays and want to trick it out.

Basic PC

from Franklin, MA

Comments about Dell Dimension desktop computer:

This is a good basic PC. It is perfect for your average user. If you are a gamer or run advanced programs this system is not powerful enough. The case does alow for significant upgrades. I have already upgraded the RAM. It is also easy to upgrade the proccessor or hard drive. Although at some point the upgrades will be limited by what the motheboard can handle.