2.9
Dacor Gas Cooktop

Dacor Gas Cooktop

2.9

Best Cooktop Ever!

I did a LOT of research before settling on the Dacor and I'm glad I did.  I love it so much that, should I leave my house, I'll re-install the original cooktop and take this one with me.

The 18000 BTU burner is the hightest one out there.  My "old" (5 years) 45" Jenn-Air had only 10000.  You simply can't stir fry at that temp.

Another feature that is completely unique to this Dacor is the fact that the two middle burners over which you fit the grill or griddle are both 12500 BTU.  All others have the matching BTU burners catty-corner to each other.  I simply don't understand this.  If I'm going to straddle two mis-matched burners with a grill or griddle I want to be able to be somewhat consistent with my heat.  Can you imagine trying to get a 5000 and 10000 BTU burner adjusted the same on both ends of the grill?

Another huge plus for me:  Like most people, I assume, I tend to work left to right.  And, I stir fry and boil water a lot.  The 365 puts the 18000 BTU burner on the far left of the cooktop.  Most others don't.  When your go-to burner is in the middle or on the right and you cut your veggies on the far left, you tend you spill them all across the cooktop trying to lift them over to the pan.

Of course, like most upper-end cooktops, it has the little blue light telling you the burner is on and a safety feature which keep you from blowing up your house (I'm on propane, if you can't tell).

After 6 months, I have absolutely no complaints.  It's an awesome cooktop with really helpful, practical features.

High End Cooktop with High Maintenance Troubles

My husband and I bought a lovely house in 2004, but it had a few problems. For one, the previous owners completely skimped on the kitchen. Unable to take fake granite formica and wheezing mediocre appliances any longer, we set out to remodel the kitchen this past summer. Because my husband is the true chef in our household, I left the choice of a new cooktop completely up to him. After visiting several high end appliance stores, Jay decided he wanted the **Dacor PGM365** gas cooktop. We chose this cooktop over regular brands (GE, KitchenAid) and higher end brands such as Jenn-Air and Thermador for a couple of reasons: The appliance salesmen in multiple stores said it was a better buy and that it was more reliable. They also pointed out the sand-blasted stainless finish under the burners for its easy-clean finish, and the simmer burners on the Dacor were truly amazing in their capability to put out steady, even, very low heat.**Installation and Issues**Our Dacor PGM365 was installed right after our countertops and we noticed two issues immediately: One of the two larger grates had a slice through it, and one of the burners clicked constantly when lit. We called our appliance company and they sent out a "Dacor authorized" repairman to fix the burner issue, and ordered a new grate to be delivered straight to us.First, we were visited by a repairman from "Mr. Appliance", a local repair company authorized to fix Dacor appliances. My husband was home to greet the repairman and was *instantly* put off by him for the simple reason that the repairman kept saying, "I don't know anything about these fancy Dacor cooktops. Not many people have 'em, you know." He looked over our cooktop and started removing knobs at random, while acting befuddled the entire time.Finally, he said he didn't know what was wrong with the cooktop, and after seeing that the knobs the man had pulled off no longer lit once they were re-installed, my husband shooed him out of the house as quickly as possible. We called a repairman recommended to us by one of our kitchen contractors, and made sure the appliance store would authorize payment to him to fix our Dacor's burner issue and the new issue of two of the knobs not lighting up properly, since the other "repairman" had removed them. This repairman showed up and in fifteen minutes had everything working.The grate was a different matter, however. It took six weeks after we reported the damaged grate to have a new one shipped to us from Dacor. They claimed their original shipment was lost, and had to reissue it after four weeks.Finally, after six weeks, we had a fully functioning cooktop.**The Good Parts**We do love the Dacor, even though we both feel that it's a bit fragile and not meant to withstand routine things like removing the knobs for a thorough cleaning. The simmer burners on this cooktop are magnificent, holding the lowest warming temperature you can imagine. At the same time, the ability to blast heat up to 18,000 BTU's is astounding. This cooktop replaced an old GE downdraft cooktop and it heats so much more quickly and evenly that cooking is a dream.**Cat's Bottom Line**For the price we paid, the Dacor cooktop functions well, but is far too fragile for me to heartily recommend. The issue with knobs breaking when pulled off was disturbing, and it took the company far too long to get a replacement grate sent to us. Dacor is a high end cooktop, but with the repair issues we had, it's far too high maintenance for me to recommend. Get it, if the simmer burner and the sandblasted stainless are big priorities for you. If not, look elsewhere.

You get what you pay for....right? Sometimes...

Comments about Dacor Gas Cooktop:

Anyone who is a professional cook, or avid foodie, has heard of Dacor appliances. Not many people have them and not many people can afford them, so when trying to get a good handle on what to buy for a cooktop, we were on our own. We went to a high end appliance store to look for some ideas, because my husband is a chef and wasn't settling for anything less than the best. We decided to go with this one because it seemed to be exactly what we needed- selection of burner size, gas, easy to clean and looked easy to use. Once it was home and installed, we noticed a few flaws. We had one burner that just clicked all the time and wouldn't light, and another one that the flame never worked on high. It was extremely hard to find someone to come out and repair because so few companies know anything about this Dacor company. In the end we actually decided to return it for another more well known brand that can be serviced relatively easy when needed. I would recommend this brand usually, but keep in mind its like a foreign car- hard to find parts and hard to fix.

• Temperature Control:
  • Heat Distribution:

The Dacor 5 burner stove is so useful, functional and stylish.

from Lake Oswego, OR

Comments about Dacor Gas Cooktop:

The Dacor 5 burner cooktop stove is so useful and functional.  Being a gourmet cook, I find I really need the 5 burners when entertaining.  It's great to have them available and use them.  And Dacor is so stylish, I feel really sophisticated when entertaining and cooking.

horrible customer service

from Chevy Chase, MD

Comments about Dacor Gas Cooktop:

Our Dacor oven has been a debacle. We have had a failure after less than 1 year of ownership. The electronic controls completely died. It has taken over 2 weeks for a tech to respond and schedule, and we are still under warranty. It has been very bad.

High End Cooktop with High Maintenance Troubles

from Charlotte, NC

Comments about Dacor Gas Cooktop:

The knobs break easily, the indicator lights fail repeatedly

from Eugene, OR

Comments about Dacor Gas Cooktop:

The indicator lights have failed repeatedly, we finally gave up getting them fixed.  Then two of the knobs broke at the stem that attaches them within the same day while lightly wiping of the area around the knows.  The white painted arrow on the base of the knobs that indicate the direction to turn the knob wore off within a year with light cleaning. The stovetop is less than 2 years old. This is very disappointing for what's supposed to be a high end stovetop.

Do not buy this cooktop.

from Mercer Island, WA

Comments about Dacor Gas Cooktop:

My PGM365 has had numerous gas explosions. No Dacor service technician would look at it because of liability concerns and Dacor would not do anything to help repair it. Every service company that I spoke with to book an appointment stated that it is a flawed and dangerous product and that it can't be fixed. One stated that that cooktop would burn down my house if I kept it. I replaced it with a GE cooktop which has worked flawlessly. I wrote to Dacor about this problem and they never called or wrote back.

Best stove I've ever used.

from Manistee, MI

Comments about Dacor Gas Cooktop:

The Whitewestinghouse stove is the best stove I have ever used.  The burners lite quickly.  The oven heats right up.  It looks very nice in design.  Very easy to clean and does not scratch easily.  It is so woderful I started cooking and backing a lot more.  It is easy for my children to use.  It is light enough to move to clean under it on a regular basis.  I love the sqaure burner covers that connect together instead of the round ones.  Overall this stove was a great price and a terrific addition to any kitchen.

The Dacor PGM365 gas cooktop has indicator light failures.

from Chattanooga, TN

Comments about Dacor Gas Cooktop:

The Dacor PGM365 gas cooktop was installed in my home August 2007.  The serviceman had to repair the knob indicator lights in December 2007 and January 2008 (thankfully during the warranty period).  Now, November 2008, another light has failed.  I emailed Dacor for information regarding this problem.  They have given no response.  I like the cooktop.  It cooks well, it looks nice and cleanup is easy, but I am concerned this will be an ongoing problem.  Too bad.  So, I would not recommend this unit.

Excellent Cooktop

from Gardnerville, NV

Comments about Dacor Gas Cooktop:

I'm surprised to see some people had problems with this cooktop as I've found it to be really great!  It cooks evenly, has an amazing range of temperature control, and is very easy on clean up.  An added bonus is it's very attractive on our granite countertop.  So far after 3 years it's still performing marvelously!  I highly recommend it!

Dacor PGM365 - terrible knobs, horrible customer support

from Cypress, TX

Comments about Dacor Gas Cooktop:

Great LOOKING, cooks well, but that's where the pros end.

Cons:  Horrible customer support.  On hold for 23 minutes just to get the name of a parts provider (I could not find a single parts house on-line that sells the cheap knobs that break in less than two years).

The down-draft is a joke.  Let's see...a boiling pot of water for spaghetti is about 10" tall; the down-draft until is about 7" tall.  It doesn't suck out ANY of the steam, so all the spaghetti steam goes into the light hanging above your cook top.  It does, however, suck the FLAME over towards it and thus slow down your cooking time.  Nice.

The stainless steel is a pain to keep clean.  I would NEVER get another SS appliance ever again!  In fact, I didn't want them to begin with, but you know how it is when you're married - wife always gets the last word.

Constant "clicking" by the ignitor when cooking at low heat.  My Dacor in my last house did this as well.  Apparently they still haven't figured it out.

SS scratches really easy, no matter how careful you are.