3.8

3.8

Pros

Cons

• Handling:

black & decker leaf hog blower excellent purchase

We took a chance and bought this Black & Decker BV4000 since there were limited reviews we could find on it. We have been very happy with it. Operation: The machine is of a decent size but the weight is very reasonable and the handles are big and easy to grip. The unit includes an adjustable shoulder strap to help with the weight. For the electric cord there is a smart little fork system that clamps around the cord end to hold it in place, I really wish my other electric power tools had this feature! The fork does a very good job of holding the extension cord in place. It does not make it impossible to pull the cord out but is very rare that I do pull it out and I have to be pulling on the cord pretty hard. The unit has a two speed power switch that allows you to select a low or high speed. I find the low speed handy when cleaning out the flower gardens when I don't want to suck up or destroy the plants. The switch does have a little bit a rubbery feel to it that concerns me about how it will hold up. The machine itself runs very quietly especially compared to any gas powered tools. Vacuum: We use this unit 90% of the time to vacuum and let me say up front it does not suck leaves up as well as our push cart gas powered vacuums but that is expected being hand held. Keeping the above in mind this thing really does an impressive job sucking up leaves given its size. The tube is plenty big to not get clogged and about the only thing that slows it down is a thick stick or small rock. The problem is usually easily corrected by turning it off and then back on. We probably have close to 20 hours of solid use on it this year and plastic impeller is in very good shape showing little signs of damage. The other thing we are impressed with is how well it mulches as it vacuums. I am not sure if it is truly the 10 to 1 ratio but it is probably at least 7 or 8 to 1. This is very handy in our town since we have to haul leaves to a town compost area. Bagging: The 1.5 bushel bag that comes included is nicely designed to allow easy emptying. In my case I am dumping the leaves into a utility trailer to take to the compost area but it is just as easy to empty into a bucket. The bag seems to be well made with a U-shaped opening that just slides into the machine and locks in place. Probably the biggest negative to the bag is it fills so quickly especially on big piles of leaves. I really don't think a bigger bag is the solution since once this is full you realize it weighs a good amount. This brings me to one of my most favorite features about this machine. You can purchase a hose that will plug into the bottom of the vacuum and feed out to a mesh bucket cover, Model BV-006. This feature is an optional add on accessory but worth the money. This add on accessory allow you to fill up your regular trash bucket with leaves which gives you a good long run time before you are full. I find this very handy when I have a nice big pile of leaves I want to mulch down. I still use the included bag for smaller jobs or job I want to be more mobile but this 8ft hose allows you to work through the big piles efficiently. I don't understand why more companies do not offer this same feature, this is a great idea. The one negative here is the adapter which is included with the machine to allow you use the hose and bucket collection system is not really well engineered. it holds to the machine with two big plastic loosely fitting loops and holds to the hose with a twist and lock connector. Problem is both sides of this adapter are not particularly strong to stand up to the pulling you are bound to put on the hose so they come apart. This was easily fixed with the handy man's secret weapon, duct tape. Since the quick tape fix I have not had any problems. Blower: I have gas powered wheel blowers that are the best I can compare this too. This machine does have a claimed 230 mph blowing speed which I do believe it does but what I am learning it that it is not just speed but volume of air you can move and that is where my gas powered wheeled blower excels over this. The hand held blower does a good job and it does beat raking the leaves but I wish for more volume of blowing air. What I notice is for lighter leaf blowing it works well but if the leaves get too deep (maybe 10" to a foot) it is not as effective. I am use to being able to make big piles and then pick them up. This is not a really huge concern for us since we really are interested in the vacuuming of this machine. One nice feature about the blower attachment is there is an attachment you can use on it to direct the air and it gives you the 230 mph air but if you want a little more volume but a little less speed you can take this attachment off. Conversion: They really did a great job here. There is a nice big button that you push to release either the blower or the vacuum attachment. Putting it back together is as simple as putting either attachment on an edge and then snapping it back in place. The attachments lock into place securely. The shoulder strap also moves depending on which way you are using the machine. So why 4 and not 5 stars? The adapter for the hose is cheaply made, too bad with such a good machine. Also the rubbery switch gives me some concern as to how long it will hold up with the rubbery feel to it.

Not pleased. Widespread problem they don't tell you about!

I've used Black & Decker products regularly for years. Usually, if their name is on it, I'll buy it over almost any other brand. That was the case with Black & Decker Leaf Hog Blower. This is the first time I've been disappointed in a Black & Decker product

I used it fine every three days for around three weeks. I have a huge yard and giant trees so it was a necessity that I use it that often. After this much use, the motor overheated (nothing was clogged) and the electrical plug burned out. I was using all proper equipment in the proper way, so there was no excuse in this. Turns out this is a widespread problem with this particular blower.

The only reason I don't rate it a one is that it was extremely easy to get a refund. Originally they wanted to replace it, but I figured it wasn't worth the risk.

Weight
This leaf blower is ten pounds. I lift weights a lot so the weight of this was light to me. My neighbor who is smaller and doesn't workout said it was on the heavy side. The weight was one of the great things about it.

The performance was perfect for the week I had it. On the third week it burned up.

Handling
This leaf blower is extremely easy to maneuver and handle. I had no problems getting it where I needed it.

If you have experience with any other leaf blowers, this will give you no issues.

Durability wasn't so good. I kept it three weeks before it burned up.

Not pleased. Widespread problem they don't tell you about!

Handling

Durability wasn't so good. I kept it three weeks before it burned up.

For the first Leaf vac I have owned I was a little disappointed

from Statesboro, GA

Comments about Black & Decker Leaf Hog Blower - Vac:

Because I'm a woman I needed something that was light weight that I could easily carry around and for that reason this leaf blower and vac worked great. I have a ton of leaves in my yard and I needed something that could quickly remove them without taking a ton of effort with a rake. I've barely ever had to use the shoulder strap as the machine is so light. I also love the fact that it does not take gas because it never fails that I always spill gas all over myself or my garage and I'm trying to pour into my lawnmower. I would recommend this to someone looking for a beginner leaf blower.

Weight
Very lightweight! Great for women who want to get out there and do yardwork without their husbands help. It comes with the shoulder strap however you barely ever need it!

I don't have much to compare this to you other than a rake so it works great for me! I think that it blows a little better than vacuums however.I also love that this blower and that has two power settings so I can choose how powerful I need to make it!

Handling
Very lightweight and easy to maneuver.

Super easy to use.

I had on this machine for about eight months now and I've had no problems with that breaking down. I was a little weary to purchase this product because it is a Black & Decker and I've had problems with other products of this companies in the past but this machine seems to be working great so far.

• Handling:

A little heavy but does a nice job

Comments about Black & Decker Leaf Hog Blower - Vac:

I have to say that I did get sick of using the Black and Decker leaf hog blower vac after a while. The main thing I didn't like about this particular leaf blower was the fact that it was so heavy and honestly a little difficult to use. I found that it was awkward to hold for long periods of time and the motor would stop all of the time. I kept getting burn marks on my wrists from re-starting the engine over and over again. Once I did get it up and running the engine was powerful so it did a great job of blowing the leaves into a nice pile but it was difficult to use for the most part. I would probably not reccomend this particular leaf blower.

Weight
I thought the weight was very heavy and it was uncomfortable to use.

Once the motor was on it had excellent performance.

It handled fairly well.

I did not feel that this particular leaf blower was very easy to use. It was heavy and hard to keep running.

I would say it was mostly durable except for having to restart it so many times.

Black & Decker Leaf Hog Blower is Worth the Money

from Wrightstown NJ

Comments about Black & Decker Leaf Hog Blower - Vac:

I bought the Leaf Hog about a year ago as my yard is very large and full of huge old trees with millions of leaves. It has a lot of power and creates winds blowing up to about 230 mph which really blows the leaves quickly to wear you want them. I blow them towards my garden then leave them their for mulch. This blower is really worth the money. It is far easier than raking all the leaves by hand. I have to use a long extension cord for spots further in the yard but it still works fine. It also mulches which works okay but not the best so I just leave them near my garden till the spring. It is well built and very durable with a lot of power and I have not had any problems with it at all. It is not overly heavy and I have no problem using it with ease. It performs very well and is worth the price of it. It is good for sweeping or blowing the leaves off patio areas and around the foundation of your home as well or anyplace that leaves gather. I recommend it.

Black and Decker Leaf Hog Blower-Vac Review

Comments about Black & Decker Leaf Hog Blower - Vac:

The Black and Decker Leaf Hog Blower-Vac is an awesome machine. It really blows the leafs really good. And this type of leaf blower is the best kind in my opinion. I would recommend this leaf blower to anyone, because I know it really gets the job done.

• Handling:

Makes cleaning up leaves easy.

from La Rue, OH

Comments about Black & Decker Leaf Hog Blower - Vac:

One of my most dreaded things about fall is all of the leaves that fall off the trees. It is so much work and so time consuming to rake them up in a pile (which is usually something I have to do a few times because my kids love to play in leaf piles), then bag them up or burn them. I live in the country, so burning them is usually what we do. Then my brother told me about the Black & Decker Leaf Hog Blower - Vac, Instead of doing all of that raking, you just use this leaf blower to blow all of the leaves into a pile. I can even let the kids have their fun jumping in the piles and scattering them all over the place again because it is so easy to blow them back into the pile. If you need to bag the leaves, well that is really easy with this as well. You can actually vacuum them up. It actually mulches the leaves and collects them in an attached bag. Leaf clean up has never been easier. It isn't really heavy like a lot of leaf blowers are, and the price is very reasonable. So if you are like me and hate the annual leaf clean up, I recommend you get one of these. It actually makes the clean up fun!

Good Dual Option

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Black & Decker Leaf Hog Blower - Vac:

I already own many Black and Decker tools so when I needed a new blower I immediately thought of them. I have their Grass Hog trimmer and really like it so I figured their Leaf Hog Blower would be just as good.

I really liked the idea of being able to suck up leaves into a bag, which seemed like a good idea instead of blowing them out from between bushes and such and into the middle of the lawn to be run over by the riding mower. Unfortunately, the nozzle seemed to clog quite often and it seemed like I spent more time fixing it than actually using it.

The blower function worked fine. It was very powerful and had plenty of oomph to get leaves out from anywhere they were hiding.

I did find this to be a bit on the heavier side though. It very quickly tired my arm and I found myself having to switch arms quite often while using it.

On the noise side it was quite quiet and not annoying at all. It sounded more like a large fan than anything else.

• Handling:

Great for the homeowner with a small yard.

Comments about Black & Decker Leaf Hog Blower - Vac:

My wife bought me the Black & Decker Leaf Hog Blower - Vac Bv4000 for a birthday present. When I unpacked it I was curious to see how ell it worked. It works great at cleaning stuff from our homes decks, walkways, and short driveway. When it comes to wet or heavy items forget it, this machine is not designed to handle them. I found the attachment cord to be short and often come unplugged while in use. I would not buy this model again, but it works fine for tiny clean up jobs,

Weight
When I unpacked my Black & Decker Leaf Hog Blower I was literally blown away at how light it felt. It is amazing. The is the high point for this machine.

My child blows bubbles faster than the Black & Decker Leaf Hog Blower.

Handling
Due to the very low eight handling this machine is easy. It is so light that a child could use it.

The Black & Decker Leaf Hog Blower is easy to use.

I went out and bought a heavier duty blower for my yard. This machine is kept only for the quick little cleanup jobs.

• Handling:

Its a good tool to have for fall

Comments about Black & Decker Leaf Hog Blower - Vac:

I have this big tree and having this just makes the cleaning up much quicker and easier. Its a good use for blowing all the leafs into one spot instead of having to use a rake to gather them all up and plus it was least work for you. Its a good tool to have for the fall and was easy to use and didn't get tried as much as I would if I had to rake it all.

Cleans up the deck fast

from Fairfield, VA

Comments about Black & Decker Leaf Hog Blower - Vac:

Black & Decker Leaf Hog Blower - Vac (Bv4000) has been a huge blessing on our back deck around the swimming pool. We have so many large tree branches hovering over the area, and plenty of leaves blow in as well from surrounding trees, so its a constant battle to keep the area clean. When company is coming or cleaning is simply necessary, we get it out and it cleans up the area from all kinds of dust and dirt and leaves. It is FAST too, and light-weight, so it doesn't tax your body much to carry it around. Due to its speed, you don't have to carry it long anyway. After you get used to starting it up, its not difficult to do so, and keep it going strong. Its been a good value for the money spend on it. I enjoy using it to clean up barn and garage of general dirt and debris that can just be sent outside, without having to sweep it and pick it up, or vacuum. I highly recommend it to anyone with a lot of outdoor deck space.