Other Itch & Rash Treatments:

Aquaphor Healing Ointment

Pros

Cons

Healing Ointment for Dry Skin and More

Dry skin is a problem for most everyone at some point and it is a common occurrence during the colder months of the year. Many different lotions, creams, and jellies exist to solve this problem but one of the best healers of dry skin and a multitude of other skin problems is **Aquaphor Healing Ointment**, a product from Eucerin.

**Health Commentary:** Aquaphor Healing Ointment is an excellent product for improving skin conditions caused by dry weather and various medical conditions. I first got to know Aquaphor following the birth of my little girl last year. This was one of many products I received at the hospital in the baby care package given to all new parents. I had seen Aquaphor in the store but never bothered to buy it, mainly because of my limited medical needs but also because of my ignorance about the usefulness and effectiveness of this product. Now that I have sampled Aquaphor Healing Ointment, I can say that this is a very good and highly effective product. It goes to work on irritated or dry skin very quickly and it ends these and other problems in a short time. I experience dry skin in the winter time (mostly on the knuckles of each hand) and this is one way to easily eliminate the problem. A little dab on the patches of dry skin and the problem disappears quickly. I also use it when I have been performing a large amount of physical work- specifically, the type that makes ones' hands raw. Tasks like moving boxes, working in the yard, etc., can lead to this type of problem. Again, a little dab of Aquaphor Healing Ointment on the fingers and palms of the hands is all it takes to get my skin looking healthy once again.  Aquaphor is a thick product and the thickness ensures that it won't run or drip off of your skin. But it will gradually wear itself off as it comes in contact with clothing or other things. This is the same problem many people experience with petroleum jelly. You have to be very careful what you touch because a good rub against a surface will remove the ointment from your skin. I have found that, once it has soaked in or worn off from ordinary living, the problem is usually gone (unlike with petroleum jelly, which I usually have to reapply throughout the day) and I don't need to add more. But for severe skin problems, you may have to keep a bottle of Aquaphor handy to make additional applications. One common complaint with Aquaphor is the way it feels on the skin. It has that greasy, gel- like consistency (again, just like petroleum jelly) that slides between the fingers like Crisco shortening. I admit that the feel isn't the most pleasant but I try to ignore this when I use Aquaphor. I just keep reminding myself how much better my skin will feel once Aquaphor has had a chance to work its magic. The greasiness is really a small price to pay for something that works so well.

**Bottom Line:**

Overall, Aquaphor Healing Ointment is a very good product for eliminating skin irritation. It is a little greasy and it does cost more than similar products. But it performs beyond expectations, returning skin to its original vitality. It makes a great choice for those who live in cold climates or who have a frequent problem with dry, chapped, or irritated skin.

Aquaphor Healing Ointment is messy and not superior, just okay!

For several years I worked as an office assistant at a popular, multi-doctor Dermatology Office. Eucerin was always one of the name brand products that was highly recommended by all of the doctors in the office. Aquaphor Healing Ointment creates a protective barrier that seals in moisture, so it works super if you have very cracked or damaged skin. Eucerin Aquaphor Healing Ointment is safe for sensitive skin so it is good for people of all ages - it's fragrance-free, preservative-free and said to be non-irritating.

My son when he was a toddler had eczema on his cheeks, that lasted for about a year and it was very painful for him. Nothing really seemed to work to help rid him of it completely. We found a routine that worked for us to minimize it, but that didn't include Aquaphor. This product is super greasy and heavy, it almost seemed to aggravate it more. When I used it on my skin, the Aquaphor Healing Ointment made it feel a to sticky/tacky and a smidge itchy.

Aquaphor Healing Ointment is a bit pricy, and for the product I'd say regular Vaseline is a much better value if you're looking for an ointment. Plus, this jar is so big, we never really finished it - it almost seems like keeping this product around in your cupboard for years can not be "sanitary", of course I'm a bit of a germ phobe! I just couldn't get past everyone dunking in their dirty fingers into this huge jar of Aquaphor. It just seemed like it was a breeding ground for gross stuff because the jar lasted for years - I eventually just tossed it. I know some folks love it, so that's cool, I say go for it if Aquaphor is good for you. I just never really fell in love with it I suppose.

Aquaphor Healing Ointment is messy and not superior, just okay!

There is no scent what so ever that I can detect in Eucerin Aquaphor Healing Ointment. It's fragrance-free, preservative-free and said to be non-irritating.

Absorption
It doesn't absorb well at all, so if you have a pet and it sheds (ours barely does) but those "floating" pet hairs will cling and stick to this on your skin....ICK and itch. Plus, if you put it on at night and the skin is not "covered" where you applied Aquaphor it will stick to the sheets or your pillow case, again, kind of gross.

I found this non effective since it doesn't really absorb just really creates a protective barrier. So I suppose it's good for that but not really for moisturizing.

This product is a life-saver.

Comments about Aquaphor Healing Ointment:

My lips have been very, very, very dry recently. This is the only product that soothes them. I am on an acne medication that makes skin and lips dry. It even leads to cracking. This product has a great texture and thickness that soothes my lips. It's been amazing.

Great for all of my dry areas.

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Aquaphor Healing Ointment:

This is one of the very few products that can actually heal my severely dry skin. In the winter, my knuckles get so dry that they get open sores and bleed. It can be really thick if you put it on large areas and it can transfer to things like your phone if you use it straight afterward. I try not to put it on my finger tips for that reason. It is better to use at night and works even better if you put gloves on afterward. It really helps my cracked feet in the summer so I can wear sandals. It does not have a scent. I love using it on my lips because it hydrates them so well and makes them glossy. It heals the cracks and peeling skin, even around the corners of my mouth. It is not colored so I don't have to worry about harmful dyes. It comes in a handy squeeze tube. When it seems as if there is no more product left, I cut the bottle in half with scissors and there is still a ton of product left in there! I use it on my face like the really dry areas by my eyes and parts of my cheeks if I absolutely have to, but it tends to break me out. It

Better than I expected!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about Aquaphor Healing Ointment:

I received this as a sample and was very pleased with how well this product worked. I had heard great things about it, but had never tried it. This was years ago and I am still using it today and will continue to in the future. The Aquaphor Healing Ointment is a great buy. It may be a little pricier than other brands, but it works much better so it is worth it. Plus it really doesn't cost that much more. This works great on cuts, burns, rashes, chaffed or dry skin. It works great in the winter when your skin gets chapped. There are so many uses for this ointment. It also absorbs well and doesn't leave your skin feeling oily and greasy. It's gentle for sensitive skin as well. I also find that it works in a shorter amount of time than other products out there. I would recommend this and use it again. I have also used the Baby Aquaphor Healing Ointment and that works great as well! Aquaphor is a great product to keep on hand at home or on the go.

great product

Comments about Aquaphor Healing Ointment:

I absolutely love this healing ointment by Aquaphor! I appreciate that what this product promise's in their advertisements is true and I feel totally confident in saying Aquaphor's promises actually do live up to what they guarantee in their advertisements. It works incredibly great every time I use this product. I can always rely on Aquaphor to quench my dry skin. I like to put it on my skin right after I get out of the shower. I love the way I feel after I use this product. I especially love the easy application. I like that this ointment comes in a tube where I can squeeze out the perfect amount; not too much or not enough. The applicator also makes it mess free; no mess no fuss! It comes in a fair size bottle where I feel like I am getting a good amount of ointment for the price I pay. I would highly highly recommend Aquaphor's Healing ointment to my family, friends, and anyone looking to quench their dry skin the same way I have been able to do.

Amazing

Comments about Aquaphor Healing Ointment:

This product has saved my skin from all the damage that has occured to them over a 9 year span. I work with my hands so I have to wash them and always using sanitizer ontop of having eczema. I also have to wear gloves that dry ip and irritate my hands for 12 hour shifts. I've tried all sorts of creams and lotions but this is the only brand that keeps my skin from getting cracks and breaking out. Amazing product! I wish my employer would bring this brand into our company!

Great for all skin types

from Clearfield, UT

Comments about Aquaphor Healing Ointment:

I buy this big tub of this or my baby who suffers from eczema. I rub this all over him and it help stop his itching and clear up his dry red skin. This helps with so many other skin remedies. I use it on all my kids for all sorts of different skin problems and it clears them all up.

Excellent product, especially for dry winter skin

Comments about Aquaphor Healing Ointment:

Aquaphor is similar to Vaseline, only a bit less sticky. It can be used to put on chapped lips (I carry a tube in my purse for this), to layering over a cut to stop bleeding. It also makes an excellent occlusive skincare product by helping retain moisture and protect the skin. I love it. I put it on my face every night and it smooths things out. Not something you'd apply all over your face during the day though! But it's also good for those raw dry spots you get on your face during the winter. Definitely a ton of uses for it.

Aquaphor for Dry skin

from Bronx, NY

Comments about Aquaphor Healing Ointment:

very good product, a bit on the pricy side, i usually buy the jar not the tube. Works wonders with severly dry skin, greasy and doesn't dry on your skin but i don't mind as long as i know it is working, if you have sensitive skin then you should use this, i personally have problems with lotions or creams that have fragrances it makes my dry itchy skin even worse, like a allergic reaction. This won't,

Overall

Comments about Aquaphor Healing Ointment:

I originally bought Aquaphor as it was recommended by my tattoo artist for my healing tattoo. It's the only healing ointment I've ever used on my tattoos and it has worked perfectly. I have used it on everything from scrapes and cuts to burns ever since. I love this stuff!

Aquaphor works for everything!

from Chino, CA

Comments about Aquaphor Healing Ointment:

I originally purchased this product for my baby my I now use it on myself too! It was a recommendation from a friend to use this on my baby's chapped skin, which worked really well. However, I have very chapped skin too, and one night decided to use it on myself. It works not only my skin but also on my lips.

It works extremely well for very dry, chapped, and irritated skin. I use chapstick every day but my lips are always still dry. All I have to do is leave aquaphor on my lips overnight and it is well nourished by morning. It also gives my lips a great shine if I apply it in the daytime. Makes it look like I have lip gloss on! I also apply it to the cracks in my fingers overnight and my skin is so much smoother in the morning!

Ease of Application
It comes in a tube, so sometimes gets a bit messy to apply. Other than that, it's pretty easy and simple to use.

Side Effects
The main side effect is that it is pretty sticky, so it's better to just apply it on yourself overnight, otherwise you will end up just washing it off during the day. If you are just applying to your lips, then it would be fine to use in the daytime, just not on your hands.