I have used Holmes portable twin heaters for two years. I have had three of them and they all ended up giving out after two years. The worst part about these heaters is that the cord would pop sparks all over the place before it takes its last breath or give out permanently. I did love these heaters at the beginning for they worked extremely well but about two years in, they sparked and gave out. I was watching a movie with the heater on the floor about a month ago when the last Holmes portable ceramic heater started popping and sparking out of no where. I jumped up so quickly because I just saw these orange sparks flying everywhere. I honestly thought it was going to explode. I was very scared. The sparks put black stains in the rug afterwards and the heater no longer worked. The stains did come out of the rug, however. You will know when the heater is about to spark or give out because there are signs. It first begins to shut off on its own and then you will smell this weird gas-like smell. At that point, you should quickly discontinue use of the heater and never use it again for they are going to spark and pop. Be careful with this product and don't have kids or toddler's within 2 yards of this product.