I have lived in the same house for the last 30 years, in those thirty years I have had some problems with mold on my leather shoes in two of the closets in my house. Two years ago a friend of my daughter told her that her mother had the same problem and that although they ran an airconditioner off and on in the summer they still had a problem with mold. They bought a dehumidifier and ran it when the airconditioner was not running and it took care of the mold problem. So needless to say I desided to try this because I was also a little affraid of having mold in my house and I had heard mold is not a heathly thing to have in your home. I bought a Frigidaire Dehumidifier and hooked it up to a hose to drain into a shower stall. I left my house closed up for six weeks while visiting my daughter last July and came back to a mold free house. I am totally sold on this appliance.