2.5
Beef Products, Chicken Products, Pork Products
Bar S
Bar S Hot Dogs

GOOD for the price

Would buy again because they are cheap.

Hazard ky

Terrible

Hot dogs on the grill are one my favorite types of processed meat from questionable origin. However, because they don't agree with me I rarely eat them. So when we had decided to host my nephew's birthday party and have hot dogs as the entrée, I was looking forward to a "cheat day." After seeing that the dogs were sufficiently blackened, I fixed mine up (in a bun with a little spicy mustard), grabbed some chips, a bottle of water, and sat down to eat. As I took my first bite of the hot dog, it was very apparent that I was only tasting the bun and mustard, so I asked my mom what brand they were, suspicious that she may have bought an off-brand. Indeed she had, as we'd planned on having quite a few guests. (Some of the kids are notorious for wasting food, after all.) Disappointed is an understatement about the taste, or lack thereof, of Bar S hot dogs. They literally taste like nothing - not salt, not meat of any kind, nothing. Many reviewers have mentioned the texture, and while I didn't notice it much at the time, looking back, I definitely remember that it sort of just...dissolved into nothingness as I chewed. My advice is, even though these hot dogs are budget-friendly, don't waste your money. I wouldn't feed my dog these things. We're probably going to end up throwing them out.

Dickinson, Texas

Why?

Worst quality hot dog i've ever tried. All I retain is the taste of bread and ketchup after eating them. Sucks that this crp is all i can afford to eat :(

Oceanside

Disgusting

Bought them on sale, waste of money. No flavor, mushy, fall apart. My cat won't even touch them. The good reviews I see must be either employees of them or paid trolls.

Seattle

Hard to keep down

These things have been nasty for years. But every once in a while i give them another chance. But end up throwing them out. Beef hot dogs have been so expensive lately i thought id give them a chance again but yekkk.

Tempe, AZ

,99 cent mystery meat

Should you really be eating a meat product that only cost a buck?!(that's for a whole pack, not just one hot dog) They are very bland and mushy and the skin on them cant be browned on the grill...it just blisters and turns black. My friend loves them, but he is 5 foot 6 and weighs 260 pounds...he eats like 3 packs a week.

Not bad

I have tried a lot of different hot dog brands. Frankly i love hot dogs. I always have. I am 57 years old and they are still one of my favorite food items. Bar S puts out a pretty good low cost hot dog. They are very tasty. Not too fatty but have a lot of flavor. Some people do not like all the ingredients that go into hot dogs. I choose not to look or pay attention because they taste so good. When my family was growing Bar S was a welcome surprise to see in the grocery store. Not only their hotdog but bacon were affordable enough for us to have them. You can do so much with hotdogs other than just putting on a bun. We love chili dogs, hot dog casserole. You can boil, fry or barbeque them. The possibility are endless when you use your imagination. Best thing is they are inexpensive and will feed a lot. Those of you on a limited budget might want to try Bar S Franks. Even not that the kids are teens they still like to grab a dog on the go. They are a fast easy filling bit to eat for everyone.

Affordable

Bar S Hot dogs have a good flavor. They are always found at an affordable price whether I am shopping at Wal-Mart or Food Lion. My children and I both like to eat this brand of hot dogs either on buns or as part of homemade "Beanie Weenies". The Jumbo Frank size fits hot dog buns very well.

Mechanically separated bonemeal

I just had the misfortune of having a Bar S hot dog and let me tell you. There's a reason why most other brands are 2 or 3 times the cost of these. Typical hot dogs, even better brands, might use mechanical separation to make their dogs. These guys leave the bones in your dog. Every bite is gritty, chunky and revolting. They don't warm up right and they are saltier than all-get-out. Whoever has written these other reviews is other taste/texture deaf, or on Bar's company payroll. Nathan's, Ballpark, Hebrew National are all good alternatives. Just think how much you'll be saving when you're able to finish the whole pack you got for the price of 3 BAR S packs you had to throw away.

false

good for a cheap product

So i have tried hot dogs that were worse than these and I have tried hot dogs that are better than these so i would say they were okay. I do not eat hot dogs a lot because of the sodium content and its processed but my cousins are little both under 10 and all they want to eat is hot dogs. They like any kind, I am not sure that they can tell the difference. I noticed that these hot dogs shrink a lot when they are cooked. A lot of other brands that I have tried plump up but not these. They are really short too. They barley cover half of the bun. For little kids they are fine. They do not care but if you are having a party and plan on doing like hot dogs and hamburgers I would no recommend serving these. They might be cheap and that is fine but like my dad used to sat you get what you pay for. If you get something for cheap there is a good chance you will not be getting good quality products.

Bar S Hot Dogs