Other Diets:
Weight Watchers
Rca_2014_normal

Weight Watchers

Pros

• Easy to use (3)
  • Tastes good / tastes fine (3)

Cons

• Didn't work (5)
  • Not effective (5)
  • Uneven performance (5)

• Weight loss (4)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Health conscious (8), Exercise regularly (7), Overweight (5), Exercise frequently (3)
    • Female (13)
    • Where did you hear about this product?:
    • Friend or family member (4), Other (4), Newsletter or blog (3)
    • How many supplements do you use on a daily basis?:
    • 1-2 supplements daily (4)
    • Which of the following is the most important to you?:
    • Quality (10), Convenience (5)

Weight Watchers: Not the healthiest food but it works.

**What you need to know:** At this point in the history of Weight Watchers there are a few different ways you can work this program.** I use the point system. **At one time I could eat between 18-23 points a day. This is based on my weight. The program now gives me a fixed number - 20 - with 35 points a week to use whenever I want. The math is the same; they have just put the numbers out a bit differently. I don't believe it matters.

All Weight Watchers products tell us how many points they have so there is no guessing. If you buy food (and you will since, unlike Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers food is not mandatory at all) that isn't the Weight Watchers brand, you will figure out how many points it has with the point finder you will get at meetings, online, with a Weight Waters Calculator or just by typing in Weight Watchers calculator in your browser.

You also must understand that the more fiber a product has, the lower the points will be. Weight Watchers food is counted first by looking at how many calories per grams of fiber a food has and then looking at the fat in a product. That will give me the number of points food is.

There are many foods that are not Weight Watchers brands but are promoted by the program because of their low points. Skinny Cow ice cream is one brand. Most vegetables have no points. One cup of light yogurt, one small glass of wine and a slice of high fiber bread with a thin apple slice and one slice of fat free cheddar cheese are all only 2 points.

**The Brand:**

What I said above might give you a clue that some foods you may be avoiding now, such as sugar and salt, are not considered at all in the Weight Watchers program. During a meeting a long time ago the leader said the scientists were working to lower the sodium content in Weight Watchers food. Years later the sodium content is still very high. Weight Watchers Four Cheese Frozen Pizza has 8 points, 7 grams of fat and 400 calories. It is a great option if you want pizza.

Since sugar isn't an issue with Weight Watchers, I have ice cream and desserts a lot. This is actually a problem and I will be glad to go back to my healthy eating.

You can find these items in any grocery store. Much harder to find are some specialty items that Weight Watchers makes such as small one serving bags of peanuts. At a meeting you can now find shakes, candy and various types of bars all of which are decent.

Other than on eBay you cannot buy Weight Watcher items on line. Could I do the Weight Watchers program without the frozen food? Probably not. For me that is too bad. There is no reason I can't have a healthy meal and count points. When my husband was doing the program with me we rarely had frozen food. I had a scale and we weighed our food and counted our points. When doing this alone buying frozen food is what I have to do.

**Some tips:**

Weight Watchers is about points and these points take into consideration serving size. Eating 4 ounces of a Weight Watchers product will be different than eating 6 ounces of other food. Other food may add 1 or 2 points to your daily count. In order to figure out what a serving is you can use your hand if you don't have a scale.

1. Your fist equals 1 cup or 1 medium whole fruit.

2. You'll find 1 ounce of meat or cheese by looking at your thumb - the tip to the base is 1 ounce.

3. One tablespoon can be measured by looking at the tip to the 1st joint of your thumb.

4. One teaspoon is also the top to the 1st joint but not of your thumb but your fingertip.

5. Your cupped hand equals 1-2 ounces of nuts or pretzels and your palm (without your fingers) equals 3 ounces of meat, fish or poultry.

I think the Weight Watchers program is excellent and although I would like to be eating less sugar and salt, for now it is working for me. I think the frozen meals, for the most part are actually delicious, as are many of the desserts.

The company has a quality pledge and welcomes questions or comments about their products. Their parent company is Heinz Frozen Foods.

*You can buy an online subscription to the Weight Watchers site for yourself or as a gift. You can also register someone for live meetings as a gift. ***Jo's Viewpoint**

**I like it!**

**[http://www.viewpoints.com/Weight-Watchers-Points-Calculator-review-a932][1] **

**[http://www.viewpoints.com/Weight-Watchers-Smart-Ones-Dragon-Shrimp-Lo-Mein-review-a8d61][2] **

[1]: ../../Weight-Watchers-Points-Calculator-review-a932

[2]: ../../Weight-Watchers-Smart-Ones-Dragon-Shrimp-Lo-Mein-review-a8d61

Weight Watcher is like AA for food-aholics!

**Like AA for food-aholics!** The program works ~ if *you* work it!

My  six month participation in Weight Watchers taught me several things:
Read complete review

**Like AA for food-aholics!** The program works ~ if *you* work it!

My  six month participation in Weight Watchers taught me several things:

1. While I liked the accountability & the "we're right there with you" stories from the leaders & other members, I get a little stubborn & independent when I feel like someone is directing me *too* much, so I did not end up working the program to its full extent!

2. If you aren't working the program and getting results ~ it's really *expensive!*

3. The online tracking & meal plans at weightwatchers.com are helpful, but the site is not as user-friendly as it needs to be.

4. Weight Watchers will give you lots of helpful tips for the emotional sabotaging that people tend to do to themselves.

5. During the time I was a member, I started the process of converting to an organic and low-grain lifestyle, so Weight Watchers' menu suggestions didn't apply to what I want to do.

6. Like I said, the program does work, *if* you work it ~ do what the leaders and the booklets tell you to do and you can be a success story!

The website was not as user-friendly as it should be!

New Smart Points Not Too Smart

from Sonoma County, CA

Pros

• Tastes Fine

Cons

• Didn't Work
  • Not Effective

Comments about Weight Watchers:

I am a WW lifetime member from 15 years ago and did well on their original Points Plus Program and kept the weight off for 15 years. I could look at a nutrition labels a given food and estimate quite accurately the correct points. Now, their formula is so complicated, and my go-to snacks which used to be 3 points are now 5 or 6 points or more. Last night I spend 40 minutes on their CHAT, finally, the chat rep told me she was talking to 3 customers at once and didn't have time to answer my questions in a timely way. If you are a lifetime member, you can't even pay for coaching, unless you give up your lifetime status and start with a new (kerching, kerching) membership. My Fitbit device, which synchs up with their site, mysteriously gives me 21 points on my WW account for no reason. The Chat reps have cut-and-pasted responses that mimic the info on the website and offer no real support. I miss the old WW system that worked. I can't even use it, because the old points values are gone. My old WW scale, cook books, calculators are useless. Their brand-name snacks are full of additives and artificial colorings and flavorings. The meetings are all the same, corporately managed and planned, and do not address concerns of members. Anytime I have a question, I get the WW-approved response, even if it has nothing to do withy question. This used to be a great, member-centered organization, it's so sad how it's gone downhill.

• 60+
  • Other
  • Convenience

great program, terrible tech support

from Madison, WI

About Me Exercise Regularly, Health Conscious, Overweight

Pros

• Curbs Appetite
  • Easy To Use
  • Helped Lose Weight
  • No Side Effects
  • Tastes Fine
  • Works Quickly

Cons

• Horrible, terrible, ridiculous tech support

• Maintaining Weight

Comments about Weight Watchers:

I love the new weight watchers program, but it is riddled with technical problems since their new program was released. If you need help, you wait forever and almost never get the help you need. Sometimes it tells you the wait time. You wait that time and then get a message that they're too busy to help you. Other times, you wait, talk to someone, get transferred and the new person has no idea what you've already described. Be prepared to get a degree in IT because they're solutions are very techie.

• 30-44
  • Friend or Family Member
  • 0
  • Convenience, Price, Quality

Hard to cancel

from Sacramento, CA

About Me Exercise Regularly

Pros

Cons

• Didn't Work
    • Not Effective

Comments about Weight Watchers:

I liked my Jawbone Up 24 better, and when my 3 minutes nth a were up I tried to cancel and they gave me the run around and I ended up paying for an additional month even thought I tried to explain to them I only used their program for a week. After a month of emails asking for a refund for the additional month, they said that they had no record of me cancelling. I swear I tried to find s phone number for them, but couldn't. I feel like they took me for about $70 bucks and gave me no service at all. What a waste!

• 30-44
      • Newsletter or Blog, Other
      • Convenience, Quality

SMART POINTS PLAN NOT SO SMART

About Me Exercise Regularly, Health Conscious

Pros

• Keeps You Aware Of Your Food Intake

Cons

• No Real Guidance
      • Not Easy To Use

• Meeting With Others On A Diet

Comments about Weight Watchers:

The "Smart" Points Plan is a starvation diet. They don't assign you an adequate amount of daily points for your height, activity level, bone structure, etc. As a result, you are constantly hungry even if you eat the recommended points made up of a nutritionally balanced diet. In addition, the weekly points that are supposed to supplement your daily points, are a complete joke. They are still not enough. You see, I am eating substantially more than has been assigned to me, and I am still losing over 2 pounds a week. My disgust with this program comes from the lack of guidance as to how many actual points I am supposed to be consuming. I am having to figure it out for them. So, I am paying them, and they are not offering any real guidance. After listening to the other people in my meetings, the impression I've gotten is that Weight Watchers sloppily put together a one-size-fits-all approach. Everyone at my meeting, who has mentioned the points they've been assigned, appears to have been assigned the same amount of points that I have been assigned. Now, how can that be? Then, they tell you to fill yourself up with as many fruits and vegetables as you can, but those can add up to quite a few calories if you are not careful. Also, if you follow their fruit and vegetable recommendation, you end up quite hungry all day from the excess carbohydrates. It's been proven that a moderate amount of unsaturated fat is good for you, but you are severely penalized for even consuming under a tablespoon of unsaturated fat oil once a day. Also, I appreciate that they encourage a low saturated fat diet, but you are severely penalized for having even having a boiled egg. Heaven forbid that you mention that you have concerns about the diet at the meeting, you are quickly cut off for not towing the party line. The impression I get is that they just want your money. The meetings just lack that cohesive human connection.

• Quality

Concerns with Not Eating Enough

from Iowa City, IA

About Me Athletic, Exercise Frequently

Pros

• Helped Lose Weight

Cons

• Uneven Performance

• Daily Use
      • Maintaining Weight

Comments about Weight Watchers:

I have been on WW for 5-6 months and have lost almost 15 lb. As you may know, WW has switch to a new points system in order to decrease the amount of sugar, saturated fats, etc. we consume. This seems like a good idea until my usual 29 points of daily meals now totaled to 40 points. I find that kind of ridiculous without adding or subtracting from what I normally ate. And I eat generally good for you food, low fat/carb/sugar high protein etc. I have also been adding my food into a different app to count the calories since I want to get a general idea of where I am at. I can tell you for certain, at an allowance of 29 points a day, I am barely eating 1,200 calories. Which for my weight/height/activity level puts my body into a "starvation mode" essentially. I am shocked to find this out and will not renew my monthly WW subscription because of this. Yes the program works, but I refuse to restrict my diet to that level.

• 18-29
      • Friend or Family Member
      • 0
      • Convenience

The points plus plan sucks

Comments about Weight Watchers:

I did the points plan a lost over 120 pounds but when the plan changed to points plus I've been gaining weight almost 40 pounds when I talk to leaders about it they to me everything from this plan is not made for everyone, to I can eat as much bananas, and fruits I want and they're still zero points I was also told that no one is here from eating too much fruit. The leaders seem to be very incompetent when it comes down to calories and fruit.

The product are full of salt, and is not very nutritional.

Side Effects
      The point plus values for items like beef and meat items seemed to be set very high which would steer me away from eating them but then I started losing my hair because I had low iron deficiency and vitamin D deficiency ultimately having to take prescription strength vitamins for the deficiencies ultimately having to take prescription strength vitamins.

The points plus plan was better because you basically counted everything this new plan is a nightmare.

• Side Effects:

I love weight watchers! Goodbye 35 lbs!

Comments about Weight Watchers:

I love weight watchers! As it says in the title, I have lost 35 pounds. I was about 180 pounds when I started weight watchers now I'm 145 pounds. I was nervous with no idea what to expect when I started. I started with my mom who had done weight watchers before. She ended up losing about 25 pounds, helping her to get under 200 pounds overall! Everyone working there was really nice. All of the members were very welcoming and helpful. It's just a great environment overall. They teach you a lot of methods in order to lose weight, but in the meetings the members also help you. It's a great feeling of community and everybody shares tips that they have learned to help you on your journey. The meetings are once a week but you can go more often although I imagine it gets a little repetitive going more than once a week. They have a lot of new online help and apps and technology to help you. I learned a lot and would recommend it to anyone looking not for a diet but to help change their life. The only reason I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 was that it is 40 bucks a month, which is a little too much in my opinion, but worth it.

It's a little hard to figure out the points system in the beginning.

• Side Effects:

Easy, painless way to get on track and lose weight!

from Redding, CA

Comments about Weight Watchers:

I've tried many ways to lose weight, and nothing has worked for me like Weight Watchers. The iPhone app makes it so easy. The program assigns you a daily number of points that you can "spend" on food. There is a huge database of foods that you can access that tells you how many points are in different foods. You can even look up points values of menu items at restaurants, which helps you decide what to choose when eating out. I also love the "scan" option. Using your phone, you scan the barcode on a package of food, and it will come back and tell you how many points are in that food. You can then add it to your tracker. No more tallying up calories/fat/etc. The program focuses on calories, fat, fiber, and protein in foods, and uses a formula that takes these into account to give you a points value for any food. It really couldn't be easier. You're also given extra points that you can spread out over the week, or to indulge in something that would take you over your daily points allowance. The app tracks exercise, giving you activity points. All in all, a totally painless way to track what you eat and how much you exercise!

If you stay on track with your assigned points, the weight will come off.

Side Effects
      Since you're eating real foods, there is no real risk of side effects.

Using the online app couldn't be easier.

Typical Diet Company, After Your Money

Comments about Weight Watchers:

The only thing that stops me from rating Weight Watchers as a 1 like I would any other diet, is that if you simply follow the points system and don't do things like go to meetings or buy the WW products it's not a terrible idea. I can say from experience that for someone who has no idea how to eat in a healthy way, the WW points can be a very valuable tool to use as a guideline.

The problem is, Weight Watchers demands your life revolve around them. They push their diet products, meetings and online communities on you. And their system is not there to teach you how to eat then send you off into the world, it's meant to keep you there forever. They reward lifetime members and actually charge these lifetime members who've reached an arbitrary goal weight for a meeting if they weigh in a pound or two over said weight this week. Oh yeah, they weigh you in at every meeting and make you pay if you weigh too much. They are not trying to help you, teach you or even make you lose weight, the whole point if their business. They only want your money and will gladly lie to get it.
      WW had no proof that any significant portion of people who join keep off any weight they might lose for any length of time, say more than 2 or 5 years. In fact studies show that WW members maintain an average weight loss of only 5 pounds over 2 years and even less than that by 5. They've lost deceptive advertising lawsuits against the FTC.

See above. WW is good to have if you're trying to learn to valve portions and such. Unfortunately that's not what they market themselves as. They are ineffective in helping you lose weight and keep it off.

Side Effects
      The issue here is loss of self esteem. They say their products are for everyone, then thousands of people try the products and find the products don't work for them. Them the company tells the people it's THEIR fault it didn't work, not WW's. Then the people believe there's actually something wrong with them not the product and the dip in confidence worsens their problems.

Calculating points isn't as easy as say, blindly eating whatever is mailed to you but it's not the worst thing ever.

• Side Effects:

Weight Watchers does work.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Weight Watchers:

I have used weight watchers online many times over the years and have always had a lot of success with the program. The points program is so easy to use and I really like that so many brands that are carried in stores are starting to carry products that tell you exactly how many points something is without having to look it up yourself. While using weight watchers I have never felt starved or deprived like I have with so many other diets, I really do think that is why it works so well. Getting the books that go with the plan have been so helpful, they are full of so much information and reading them gives you so much more knowledge and when trying to lose weight the more knowledge you have the more power you will have to lose the weight and keep it off for the long run. The only negative I have ever had with Weight Watchers is the price, it is not cheap at all, it adds up fast and a lot of people end up quitting over the cost, but it is far worth it to keep it and pay for it.