1.1

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

Surprised by negative reviews! They been good for us.

We've used rentalcars.com for booking vehicles abroad. The website can be a little tricky but you can indeed select a specific rental pickup and drop-off location, or add your request to the notes section. This outfit is based in the UK as I recall and I have always found the e-mail customer service to be satisfactory. We had a back-and-forth last summer with a lot of questions and the same individual always followed up within 24 hours.

Customer Service
My own experience with customer service has been good. We had some difficulty with a request I had forgotten to include in our original order and they re-did the voucher and confirmation quickly and correctly. I've never been on the phone with them so can't attest to that. Our confirmations and vouchers have always been met with acceptance and no problem at the pick-up locales.

Vehicle Selection
There's not all that much choice when it comes to inexpensive sedans. Depending on where you're going, there will be 2 or 3 basic models to choose from. This really doesn't bother me. I'm renting it, not buying it.

Rentalcars.com--- good, yet tricky!

I must admit rentalcars.com saved my husband and I major bucks this past weekend by informing us that we could get a rental car nearly 60% cheaper outside the airport area.  The problem was that the website allowed us to choose to pick up the car from outside the airport area and return it at the airport for a particular price.  But when we went to the counter, the rep said that we had to turn it back in to the outside area or we would pay nearly $60 more.  We noticed that our printout did not prove that we were able to make the airport selection.  And it was as if the rep knew it would do that (can't say for sure, if he knew or not).  My husband had his IPhone and went to the confirmation that was in our email and it wouldn't display that side of the screen.  So my advice would be to take a picture of your screen to prove to the rental car company that rentalcars.com did allow the dropoff at the selected location for the agreed on price.  Other than that, we had no problems.  I will use them again, but I'll call to get someone to fax me all confirmed info.  They are affiliated with Lowestfare.com.

Con Artists- Beware of Renting from Payless

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

We reserved a car on-line as part of an on-line discount offer. We picked up our car from the airport. I have rented from car agencies at the airport in the past, so we understood that the airport fees would be additional to the rates quoted for the rental. When we arrived to pick up our car, we were told that we would need to upgrade our rental since we were driving to the Grand Canyon, and we needed a car w a larger motor. I knew this was bogus. Next we were told that even though our own insurance would cover us for the rental, that in AZ we could be billed $150 a day by Payless if the car was out of service due to damage to the vehicle sustained during the rental period. Contract papers were being switched, re-done, all the time the prices going up. Scare tactics, and bait and switch games. Our final rental cost was 3x what we were originally quoted! We paid for a full size vehicle, and had to settle for a Mitsubishi Outlander. This is not a full size vehicle. In retrospect, we should have walked away, but fell for the con. DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM PAYLESS!!

Wouldn't use them again...

from Vancouver BC

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

I booked a car to be picked up at Leeds Bradford Airport on March 31, 2017. Arrived at the car rental Lot with my confirmation in hand and proceeded to the Eurocar counter. Showed her the confirmation and gave her proof that all the extra insurance was covered by my Credit Card company. She refused to give me the car unless I left an $18,000 £ deposit. I again showed her the rental voucher that clearly states that only a $250 deposit would be required. She refused to rent the car to me that I had already been charged for on my credit card. I went to the counter next to her and was able to rent a car from Avis with no issue's or questions. This cost me as it was double the price of what I booked, but I was tense and needed transport. I would not recommend rentalcars.com or Eurocar to anyone as they use unfair business practises.

A con - Criminal organisation

from London

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

I tried to rent a car with this company, they didn't provide the necessary information for picking up the car till I was in the air and close to my destination. On reaching Japan and trying to pick up the car, I was informed that I would not be able to pick up the car and they will not be charging me.
However rental cars have refund my money, instead providing pages and pages from terms and conditions to read, which could have been simplified when renting, They however now paste sections of it to justify their criminal behaviour.

False Adverting

from Cape Town South Africa

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

Firstly, my holiday last year, I booked a car with this company and it advertised no deposit required. I paid online and when getting to the desk to receive the car they wanted a 5k deposit, not only that but they refused to accept my type of card also. It was quite the disaster.

Holiday again now and they spam my email box with adverts of cars for rental december and when I click to book the car the price is double the advertised amount.

Speaking to a consultant they say the prices get updated every five minutes.

So in essence they advertise prices valid for 5 minutes and then it doubles.

What a joke.

Cheers to you Rentalcars.com
There goes my annual business to another company.

I will never use again!

from New Zealand

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

Like so many online services, fine as long as everything goes according to plan. When things go wrong you are in a world of trouble and there is no one to assist. As I write this, I have just written a second unanswered request for a confirmation that I cannot get a refund for my unused car rental so that a separate insurance company will reimburse me. Not hard right? Well, it is for Rentalcars.com who don't feel the need to respond to online forms (there is no email address). As I write this, I am still listening to their hold music (Knocking on heaven's door ad nauseum - I wonder if they appreciate the irony) as I have been for the best part of an hour. I got through once and was told to write to the company - I guess posting a letter to the UK is the best way to deal with an online company? That is just corporate cowardice and trying to benefit from consumer apathy. Ridiculous! As for their online help, I have never seen it on line.
Never again!!

The prepaid rental car was not available

from Santiago de Chile

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

The car was prepaid on Aug 22 2016. The day of the pick up was 11 November 2017. When we went to pick it up, the car was not available. We were told to wait if anything is returned in the next hour, or two or perhaps....
Santiago de Chile international airport.

immoral business behavior

from Ottawa

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

Maybe what they did is legal but... I showed up 23 hrs late for my rental car (locauto, Palermo) - yes it was a bad travel day- but my car was reserved. No. Because I was 24 hours late the car was canceled- hey it's only been 23 technically. Regardless there was "no car for you". Ok. So... Booking is cancelled. But I did not cancel, Locauto essentially did by not keeping a car. Yet I was charged for all 7 days by Rentalcar.com! I would accept one day - not their fault my trip turned into a trip from hell and I was late, but you reserve a car ahead of time so a car will be there for you no matter! So they could not keep the car, ok then - but do not charge a customer what you could not provide: a car for the 6 other days a car was required!0

criminals and hoodlums in our streets?

from london

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

You recently contacted us about a reservation

Booking Reference
375 526 671

How satisfied were you with the customer service from Noman Nasrullah( rental cars.com) when you contacted us?

My partner found them, apparently they were cheap and the best in the west, she spoke to rental cars.com staff named TOBY for a quote, we just want a car for 18days in Lisbon Portugal and we do not which to pay for no insurance protection cover from you as we will buy full insurance cover at the desk in Portugal and very importantly why we are booking through you is that we want a car that we must not leave any penny nor a coin deposit?( You would think they did get it right?) Toby did assure this exciting sound girl on the phone that of course this options are what we do, that 100 percent we will give you a car that requires no deposit and you can purchase insurance there for like 13 to 14 euros/day and after He sent the quote to her email address
i called them on the 17th June 2016 to reserve this booking and i specifically referred to that initial quote from Toby and did actually just wanted only Toby but the guy on phone was keen keen to take the credit of this sale that he told me Toby wasn't in the office but he could help me achieve my aim. so asked him again with my voice recorder on what we specifically want is just a car to pick up from Lisbon for 18days and we will not pay no penny nor a pound deposit nor buy any additional top up insurance you are selling? he said yes sure we can assure you sir that is not a problem. he tried taking payment from my bank 3 times just for a 40quid deposit, he did eventually send me the confirmation of the reservation which read this :(At the counter, Sixt will hold a deposit on the main driver's credit card. You must have sufficient funds available to cover the deposit.You may decide to buy additional cover from Sixt at the counter – to reduce or remove your deposit amount

Impossible

from Knoxville TN

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

I was never able to pick up car because upon pickup they did not accept my type of credit card, but still charged collision coverage fee. Representatives are still no help in resolving this after 15 days.

Do Not Rent a car with Rental cars.com

from Chicago

DO NOT RENT WITH rental cars.com
I am a frequent traveller and I rent cars all the time in all parts of the world.I never had a problem with a rental.
I order and paid for a premium class car ( BMW 3, Mercedes-Benz C class or similar). I got Ford Kuga ( Ford escape). Definitely it is not premium class car and you can not compare to BMW or Mercedes-Benz.
Moreover, the rental car was dirty (excessive sand, dirt, mud, trash and pet hair). It was very stressful situation and it ruined my road trip plans. I will not use rentalcars.com anymore!!!!