1.1

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

Surprised by negative reviews! They been good for us.

We've used rentalcars.com for booking vehicles abroad. The website can be a little tricky but you can indeed select a specific rental pickup and drop-off location, or add your request to the notes section. This outfit is based in the UK as I recall and I have always found the e-mail customer service to be satisfactory. We had a back-and-forth last summer with a lot of questions and the same individual always followed up within 24 hours.

Customer Service
My own experience with customer service has been good. We had some difficulty with a request I had forgotten to include in our original order and they re-did the voucher and confirmation quickly and correctly. I've never been on the phone with them so can't attest to that. Our confirmations and vouchers have always been met with acceptance and no problem at the pick-up locales.

Vehicle Selection
There's not all that much choice when it comes to inexpensive sedans. Depending on where you're going, there will be 2 or 3 basic models to choose from. This really doesn't bother me. I'm renting it, not buying it.

Rentalcars.com--- good, yet tricky!

I must admit rentalcars.com saved my husband and I major bucks this past weekend by informing us that we could get a rental car nearly 60% cheaper outside the airport area.  The problem was that the website allowed us to choose to pick up the car from outside the airport area and return it at the airport for a particular price.  But when we went to the counter, the rep said that we had to turn it back in to the outside area or we would pay nearly $60 more.  We noticed that our printout did not prove that we were able to make the airport selection.  And it was as if the rep knew it would do that (can't say for sure, if he knew or not).  My husband had his IPhone and went to the confirmation that was in our email and it wouldn't display that side of the screen.  So my advice would be to take a picture of your screen to prove to the rental car company that rentalcars.com did allow the dropoff at the selected location for the agreed on price.  Other than that, we had no problems.  I will use them again, but I'll call to get someone to fax me all confirmed info.  They are affiliated with Lowestfare.com.

Shady business practices -- Beware!

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

I rented a car through rentalcars for two days in Strasbourg. I felt the rate was very reasonable: 52 Euros.
When I got to the car rental agency I was dismayed to discover there was an 81 Euro city tax added to my fee. When I contacted Rentalcars they said the fine print on the contract disclosed that. This was not TRUE. The contract simply said additional local charges may be applied. I realize Rentalcars cannot control the city service fees, but they certainly can disclose them. Airlines can easily give you a breakdown of those fees on a plane ticket. Rentalcars.com could too -- they just choose not to in order to be the cheapest quoted fare but they will not be the most economical rental company in the long run. I would STAY AWAY. They have SHADY business practices!

Questionable Business Practices

from Sunrise, Florida

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

I mistakenly booked for a pickup at my destination at 1am on August 18th instead of August 19th. When I tried to change my 2-week car reservation a few days later for a pick up at the correct time on the 19th, the rentalcars.com website forced me to rebook my entire reservation for an ADDITIONAL COST of nearly $200. As I couldn't believe that rentalcars.com would be expecting that I book a car rental for one less day for a HEFTY ADDITIONAL COST, I went ahead and called rentalcars.com to address the problem directly. What I received from their rep was a bunch of garbage advising me that I would need to rebook at the higher cost... despite the fact that I would have been willing to pay the same original costs while picking up the vehicle a day later (i.e., same rent payment for one less day!!!). This is no way to treat customers....

RentalCars.com disappoints big time

from Houston Texas

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

I have had a reservation with RentalCars.com (i thought, based on receipt of confirmantion) since March. Today when i double checked it, i learned it was cancelled a week after i made it! I NEVER received a cancellation notice as i did the initial confirm. When I called Rentalcars.com they basically told me i was out of luck as the cancellation was made by me one week after i made reservation. That was just not true that i cancelled it. I have had plans to travel to see the eclipse for over a year. thus i was sure to make hotel and car reservations in plenty of time. Which i did! I believe that to to take advantage of greater demand on this weekend, my reservation was canceled to make available for a higher rate. For the rental car.com to tell me that i canceled and a cancellation email was sent is just NOT TRUE!! This is the clearest example of high grading customers due to a extraordinary event! I will never use RentalCars.com again and would encourage others to avoid as well!!!

Robbed 670 SEK with no reason

from stockholm

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

I choose to book car for 1679 SEK on 14/7/2017 and my final deduction wast 2349 SEK. When I complained about this, they said it's a refundable amount and you should get this back with in 28 days. After completing my booking, the next morning(18/7/2017) when I called them back and asked for the same, the statement changed 180 degree completely. Now they are saying it's not a refundable amount and this is charged because I opted to have protection.
I explain a lot about this that I did not choose any protection money this was charged itself. Why would I call immediately after the booking if I would have added this intentionally. Customer care is not supportive and I feel like robbed.

Con Artists- Beware of Renting from Payless

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

We reserved a car on-line as part of an on-line discount offer. We picked up our car from the airport. I have rented from car agencies at the airport in the past, so we understood that the airport fees would be additional to the rates quoted for the rental. When we arrived to pick up our car, we were told that we would need to upgrade our rental since we were driving to the Grand Canyon, and we needed a car w a larger motor. I knew this was bogus. Next we were told that even though our own insurance would cover us for the rental, that in AZ we could be billed $150 a day by Payless if the car was out of service due to damage to the vehicle sustained during the rental period. Contract papers were being switched, re-done, all the time the prices going up. Scare tactics, and bait and switch games. Our final rental cost was 3x what we were originally quoted! We paid for a full size vehicle, and had to settle for a Mitsubishi Outlander. This is not a full size vehicle. In retrospect, we should have walked away, but fell for the con. DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM PAYLESS!!

Wouldn't use them again...

from Vancouver BC

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

I booked a car to be picked up at Leeds Bradford Airport on March 31, 2017. Arrived at the car rental Lot with my confirmation in hand and proceeded to the Eurocar counter. Showed her the confirmation and gave her proof that all the extra insurance was covered by my Credit Card company. She refused to give me the car unless I left an $18,000 £ deposit. I again showed her the rental voucher that clearly states that only a $250 deposit would be required. She refused to rent the car to me that I had already been charged for on my credit card. I went to the counter next to her and was able to rent a car from Avis with no issue's or questions. This cost me as it was double the price of what I booked, but I was tense and needed transport. I would not recommend rentalcars.com or Eurocar to anyone as they use unfair business practises.

A con - Criminal organisation

from London

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

I tried to rent a car with this company, they didn't provide the necessary information for picking up the car till I was in the air and close to my destination. On reaching Japan and trying to pick up the car, I was informed that I would not be able to pick up the car and they will not be charging me.
However rental cars have refund my money, instead providing pages and pages from terms and conditions to read, which could have been simplified when renting, They however now paste sections of it to justify their criminal behaviour.

False Adverting

from Cape Town South Africa

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

Firstly, my holiday last year, I booked a car with this company and it advertised no deposit required. I paid online and when getting to the desk to receive the car they wanted a 5k deposit, not only that but they refused to accept my type of card also. It was quite the disaster.

Holiday again now and they spam my email box with adverts of cars for rental december and when I click to book the car the price is double the advertised amount.

Speaking to a consultant they say the prices get updated every five minutes.

So in essence they advertise prices valid for 5 minutes and then it doubles.

What a joke.

Cheers to you Rentalcars.com
There goes my annual business to another company.

I will never use again!

from New Zealand

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

Like so many online services, fine as long as everything goes according to plan. When things go wrong you are in a world of trouble and there is no one to assist. As I write this, I have just written a second unanswered request for a confirmation that I cannot get a refund for my unused car rental so that a separate insurance company will reimburse me. Not hard right? Well, it is for Rentalcars.com who don't feel the need to respond to online forms (there is no email address). As I write this, I am still listening to their hold music (Knocking on heaven's door ad nauseum - I wonder if they appreciate the irony) as I have been for the best part of an hour. I got through once and was told to write to the company - I guess posting a letter to the UK is the best way to deal with an online company? That is just corporate cowardice and trying to benefit from consumer apathy. Ridiculous! As for their online help, I have never seen it on line.
Never again!!

The prepaid rental car was not available

from Santiago de Chile

Comments about Rentalcars.com:

The car was prepaid on Aug 22 2016. The day of the pick up was 11 November 2017. When we went to pick it up, the car was not available. We were told to wait if anything is returned in the next hour, or two or perhaps....
Santiago de Chile international airport.