3.4
Prozac
Prozac Antidepressant

Prozac Antidepressant

3.4

The best antidepressant/anxiety med prescribed in 12 years.

I was diagnosed w/severe chronic depressive disorder, severe chronic Generalized Anxiety Disorder, severe OCD, PTSD, and specific phobia disorders in 1992. I was on Paxil for 6 years when it stopped working for me. Between then and June 2007 I have run the gammet in medications. In June 2007 I had to go 'in-house' again and was prescribed Prozac and Clonidine. The Prozac is the best thing that has happened for me in years. It has reduced my OCD tremendiously! It really helps w/my anxiety disorders with no perceptable side effects. Originally I was placed on 20mg a day and found myself becoming very hyper, an anxiety increase, and compulsive talking. At the same time I felt better in my head. I felt myself... My psychiatrist reduced the dosage to 10mg a day and after a few days I leveled off and am the person I was growing up and in my younger adult days. I am much more able to cope w/daily life. I can actually go to the store w/o feeling like I may rip someone's head off! I can actually enjoy my grandchildren. Crowds are not overwhelming anymore! If you are prescribed this medication give it a fair shot and be willing to work w/the dosage to get it right for you. We are all different. This is an older medication w/long term effects well known. It is also very affordable. Not to knock some of the newer medications but, long term usage effects are unknown. Prozac got a bad wrap. However they know alot more about it and how it works. It is a very effective medication. This comes from a woman that originally said Prozac - I don't think so, I may go postal. I am so thankful that I gave it a try and was willing to work through dosage adjustment.

Life Is Too Short To Not Live It To The Fullest

I lost my second grandchild in a 2 year period and really had a difficult time dealing with it all. I finally opted to go on this medication Prozac as my anxiety was so severe I couldn't sleep, function, mind stop, etc. After 3 weeks of mild side effects I really had some relief and kinda felt somewhat a little normal again. After 4 months of being on this medication however, my sexual function went from always desirable to none and not being able to sexually function anymore, enough to take myself off this. I am now on my 3rd week of going off this medication and I have to say it has been pure hell!!! I have been so tired and my muscles are so dang weak. I feel like somewhat beat my whole body up. Although I feel like this medication really helped me at such a trying time in my life, I would not recommend anyone to have to go on this medication. It is too much hell to go through to get off it!!

Horrible Side-Effects

Comments about Prozac Antidepressant:

I took this anti-depressant in middle school and all it did was cause me to be more depressed and not be able to sleep, plus the side-effects of this medicine were horrible. This pill made me stiff and they actually had to give me another pill to counter react the effects of this medicine. I also had terrible nightmares when I took this pill and so many other things. It may have worked for some but for me it didn't and I am so glad I don't take it anymore.

Wonderful product, lifesaver

Comments about Prozac Antidepressant:

Taking prozac every morning not only makes my daily life doable, but wonderful. I'm happier and more motivated. I find it easier to get through my daily activities and am no longer overwhelmed. It tends to make me drowsy and sometimes dizzy, but the benefits outweigh the negative effects.

Completely Recommended

Comments about Prozac Antidepressant:

I love this product. I truly do. I've been taking it for quite some time and it really works for me. In the lower dosage it treats depression and in the higher dosages it treats anxiety. The thing that's really great about this product is that it doesn't take away your ability to be sad, nor does it make you feel a fake happiness that dissipates once it's out of your system. This product really treats your depression so it allows you to feel naturally happier by simply helping you not fall into the hole that depression creates. The only downsides I had with this product is that a common side effect is being antsy for a few days. It does wear off as your body adjusts. The only other issue I had is that it takes four to six weeks for it to take effect. This is because it builds the serotonin in your brain, which helps you to feel happy emotions, rather than manufacturing a happy high for you. It not only takes time to build the levels of serotonin in your brain but it also takes time to teach your brain to use the full amount. With the downside of it taking time comes an upside though. If you miss a dosage or even a couple, it doesn't wear off. It takes weeks for it to wear off after you stop using it, so missing a dose isn't a huge deal. It's a good product, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Wonderful works

from Cleveland, TX

Comments about Prozac Antidepressant:

Wonderful medicine when you think it's not working it's working i found that out when i got off of it, sure could tell. Prozac is a mild antidepressant and gentle to your system, not activating for me more sedating. The long half life makes me feel relieved in knowing if I ever have to get off, I won't have such a bad withdrawal if at all.

Prozac works good

from Albemarle, NC

Comments about Prozac Antidepressant:

My daughter was put on this medication for anxiety and bipolar.  It has worked great with her.  The only side effect she has had is it makes her sleepy.  But as far as working with the anxiety it has helped her alot.  She takes it first thing in the morning.  I have saw a difference in her.  I also have talked to other people and it has helped some while others has had to be taking off of it because of suicide thoughts.

Would never take again, ever!

from Ogilvie, MN

Comments about Prozac Antidepressant:

I started on this after the birth of my second daughter. I had postpartum psychosis, which is where you actually go crazy. It was depression and voices and insanity and HORRIBLE! I had no reality at that point, and this is what my doc put me on. Within days of starting it, I was so tired that I couldn't get out of bed. I would have terrible dreams whenever I tried to sleep, but would sleep for 18+ hours a day. I alternated between nauseaus and ravenous, so would eat like a pig, feel sick, then go to bed. I gained 20 pounds in a month, and became terrible person as well. I had no conscience, felt no emotions, my baby would cry and I would not care! I'd stay in bed and let her cry. It stopped my depression, but I hated the person that it made me. I told my doc about this at my 1 month recheck, and he quickly chaged me to Well butrin. Within days I was better, back to myself and feeling great! I lost all the weight that I had gained and felt fantastic. After my son 2 years later, we just put me right on the Wellbutrin ASAP to avoid all the hassle, and it worked! I would never, ever give anyone this drug EVER!

great price for an excellent product

from Jamestown, NY

Comments about Prozac Antidepressant:

I have used Prozac for many years, in fact I cannot remember when I first switched to Prozac.  Since I have been on it, I have had only one panic attack.  When this happened, my physician inceased my dosage and I have been panic free ever since.  It has done so much for my depression, that I am nearly the person that I used to be. I have been on many different drugs, but this is the ONLY one that works for me. To say that I am satisfied is an understatement.  Again, thanks.

I hated it.

from Elmwood Park, NJ

Comments about Prozac Antidepressant:

I was diagnosed with depression and was prescribed this medication. The only thing it did was make everything worse. I had more difficulty sleeping and it caused some very strange side effects, which included muscle spasms and sensitivity to light. When I finally stopped taking it, I began to feel better. No more mood swings. I would never recommend this to anyone.

plesase help me sleep

from Evansville, IN

Comments about Prozac Antidepressant:

I am 32 years old & I have suffered from depression,OCD,& bi-polar disorder for over 15 years.I was taken off prozac when I was in high school due to news reports that prozac caused homicidal & suicidal thoughts.A girl in a town not to far from ours killed her entire family after starting prozac.My parents freaked out & that was it for me.15 years later I am back on prozac & have been for about 2 months.My OCD is alot better thanks to the prozac but I cant sleep.My dreams are so vivid that I'm waking up every 30 min. or so.Anyone that has ever hurt me haunts my dreams.People I dont think about or havent seen in years visit me through my dreams.Not only that- there is nothing for me to do if I should happen to wake up in the middle of the night next to my fiance because prozac killed my sex drive.I am a very attractive woman & although I am a little crazy I enjoyed sex a great deal now I turn my back to my man!

UGH, I hated it, I think it increased my anxiety

from Jacksonville, NC

Comments about Prozac Antidepressant:

Wow, I would suggest you try something else. I tried this for about three months. I had more trouble keeping my mind on things. I was impulsive. I seriously think it killed my sex drive. I would suggest that i took wellbutrin and i loved it but soon after my shrink made me stop and switched me to something else because it increases anxiety. Oh well, I've went off all SSRI's and plan to stay off. I am giving Xanax a shot but only once a month or when needed because that could open up a whole new can of worms.