Other Cooking Tools & Gadgets:

Pampered Chef Apple Corer/Slicer

Pros

Cons

Perfect for a healthy dessert

The Pampered Chef Apple Corer and Slicer is a great way to create a healthy-ish dessert. When having parties, I love to use the apple corer & slicer to create a caramel apple bar. I use this product on the apples and then put out caramel and toppings like m&ms, reese's pieces, and peanuts. Everyone loves the concept of a "make your own" anything bar, so this is perfect for desserts.

You can also use the apple corer and slicer to cut up apples to put in an apple pie or other apple desserts.

The only negative is that this is hard to set up. It doesn't seem worth it if you're only going to core and slice one apple. It's better to use in a party setting. It's also not the easiest thing to wash since I make sure to wash it by hand instead of putting it in the dishwasher.

This is a little hard to clean since you cannot put it in the dishwasher. There are also many pieces that you have to be careful with when you're washing to corer and slicer.

I think I had my apple corer/slicer for over 10 years, and it still works perfectly.

Waste of tim

We have a 100 year-old apple tree in our front yard. A few years back, my mother-in-law (God bless her) bought me one of these to use. I was truly excited to get it, and couldn't wait for the next Fall when I'd be able to put it to use.

Unfortunately, I was severely disappointed. I have to admit that, in part, it was the fault of our apple tree. You see, appples from a 100 year-old organic, left to its own devices tree are not perfectly symmetrical. So when I set our apples on this device, it would core a hole through the middle of the apple, but the core of said apple was not located directly down the middle. So I'd end up having to cut out pieces of core from the slices it made. Also, the peel on our apples is a bit thicker than your standard grocery store apples, I could never get the peeling attachment to cut to the right depth.

I also had trouble finding a good place to mount this. We have butcher block counter tops and the clamp on this wouldn't open wide enough, so we ended up mounting it to an old table that my husband had in the garage.

In the end, this was just too much trouble, and I ended up giving it away. It turned out to be quicker and easier to do it all by hand.

Great Idea Poor Execution

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Pampered Chef Apple Corer/Slicer:

I try to make applesauce every fall when I get a deal on apple seconds at the orchard and peeling a large quantity of apples can get quite tedious very quickly. When a friend enthusiastically recommended the Pampered Chef Apple Corer and Slicer I immediately ordered one.

First, it was a bit pricy, but I figured it was worth it to save all that labor.

The Apple machine itself is very well made and feels very sturdy. The base is also very well made and sturdy. It is very easy to attach the machine to the base.

The problems come when you try to actually use the machine. The base isn't anywhere near sturdy enough to handle the machine when it is in use. It would be best if you attach the machine to a tabletop or countertop - neither of which was an option for me. So, I had to hold the base with one hand while trying to turn the handle with the other. It was not fun. At all.

Also, while this does a very good job of peeling and slicing the apple into uniform slices it does not get all the core out so you have to go back and remove the core with a corer anyway. You also lose quite a bit of the apple flesh to the peeler as it digs quite deep into the flesh.

Also, be aware that this is NOT good for homegrown apples. It only works on apples that are perfectly uniform. If the apples are not absolutely perfect it will skip spots, gouge the flesh, and leave most of the core behind.

For the amount of time you spend correcting the issues it's just faster to peel and core the apples the old fashioned way, by hand.

This is also very difficult to clean and gets very sticky from the juice very quickly, which leads to a sticky, slippery film on the entire thing which makes your hands slip and increases processing time exponentially.

I really cannot recommend this at all.

Perfect for a healthy dessert

Comments about Pampered Chef Apple Corer/Slicer:

Difficult to use and not worth the time

Comments about Pampered Chef Apple Corer/Slicer:

The pampered chef apple corer and slicer seems like a great idea, but it is very difficult to set up, and if you are using it for more than one apple, it take a long time to take out the apple and replace with a new apple. This item was purchased for me as a gift, and I thought it would work out well as someone who likes to bake with apples. However, it took a while to get the first apple on, by the time I had cored and sliced the first apple, taken that apple off and put the second one on; I could have done all six of my apples by hand the old fashioned way.

This machine is also very heavy, big, and bulky. It makes it very hard to find a good place to store it. It takes up a lot of room in a pantry or counter top, and it is probably not something that you want to leave out if you don't use it often.

I would not recommend this product based on how difficult it was to use, and how i did not find it to save time.

Messy, Messy

from Mount Airy, MD

Comments about Pampered Chef Apple Corer/Slicer:

This item does what it says it will do, as long as your apples are reasonably round and the core is centered. I've discovered that, often, when buying apples in bulk for processing, there will be many apples that are too large, off-center, or a little wonky. These simply won't work with this product. It is also incredibly messy, spraying apple juice everywhere. I process a couple of bushels of apples every Fall, and I prefer to cut them and peel them by hand. It is easier than fighting with this unit. All that said, if you buy perfect apples, then it will quickly peel, core, and slice them into neat, uniform slices.

It isn't that difficult to clean, a kitchen brush and a little soap will get the sticky off. Cleaning your counters, cabinets, and self afterward is a different story.

It holds up well, I've owned it for many years.

I don't know if there is a way to improve it, but it would be nice if it could handle a variety of apple shapes.

Pampered Chef Apple Corer/Slicer: Fun first time, then overkill

from Boca Raton, FL

Comments about Pampered Chef Apple Corer/Slicer:

No, we didn't really buy this. We were at a friend's home and he was coring and slicing a bunch of apples purchased at our local farm store. The apples were destined for a few apple pies.

This wasn't the first time I had seen a peeler/corer like this, but this was the first time I was this close to the action. For the "tool guys/girls" reading this review, the device looks like a lathe. But, instead of turning a wood spindle or a piece of steel, it's working on an apple. I have to admit this looked like great fun.

My friend, knowing that I dry an awful lot of apples in our dehydrator suggested I take it home and give it a test drive. I couldn't wait.

The idea of a practical tool that will peel, core and slice your apple all at the same time is hard to resist. But, I have to say that after a short while I was disappointed. I'll explain.

**Using it**

Before you actually use the device you attach it to a table/counter or cutting board by tightening a hand screw on the bottom of the device. It reminded me of watching my mother using an old-fashioned meat grinder when I was a boy. You start the actual operation by inserting a whole apple onto the retaining prongs that will guide the apple through the whole peeling/coring/slicing operation. Situating the apple so that it turns symmetrically is pretty tricky. Very few apples are really symmetrical, so while the peeling goes smoothly, it's not unusual for the coring mechanism to miss a good portion of the core. This required me to take out my paring knife and manually cut out the remaining core.

When it came to peeling, the device handles the asymmetrical problem by taking a generous cut out of the peel. In fact, if you examine the peel that comes off as a continuous ribbon, you'll find that you remove a goodly amount of apple in addition to the peel.

Slicing occurs automatically as a function of the apple rotating through the slicing blade and as with the peeling the apple is sliced into a continuous 1/8" thick ribbon of apple. To create the rings I prefer to dry, the ribbon has to be cut after the apple is peeled/cored/sliced. This becomes a little tricky on apples that still need to be additionally cored. There's also the issue of the 1/8" thickness of the cut. What to do if you want a thicker cut?

**My Viewpoint**

Sure, it was fun for a short while, but frankly I find it easier using a combination of my OXO Apple Corer and my OXO Swivel Peeler. This combination takes up much less room and is far more versatile.

Pampered Chef recommends hand-washing. There's a lot to wash here. I used the high powered spray on my faucet in addition to a hand brush. Similarly, the device needs to be thoroughly dried before being put away.

Although I can't speak from long-time ownership or use, the peeler/corer seems to be very well constructed. My guess is that it'll last longer than your interest.

Although there's a certain exquisiteness about the design, I found that there are too many compromises and limitations with regards to the finished product (the apples). For the function it provides it's overkill.

Not what I expected

from Fullerton, CA

Comments about Pampered Chef Apple Corer/Slicer:

I love to bake with apples but I don't like leaving the skin on (especially for eating raw apples), so I used to spend a lot of time peeling with a vegetable peeler and using an apple corer or knife. However, I had grown quite tired of doing this so frequently that I decided to invest in a professional corer and peeler to simplify the process. I purchased the Pampered Chef Apple Corer/Slicer thinking I would be able to make my baking habits much more pleasurable, however, it turned out to be a disappointment. For the money I spent, I had expected perfectly peeled and cored apples each and every time, but that was not the case. If your apples are not symmetrical, it does not peel evenly. I've also noticed significant dulling of the slicing mechanism and I've only used the peeler about ten times but perhaps I am not using the right type of cleaner. Overall, it does an okay job of saving me some time although i still have to go back and hand peel the spots that were missed.

A must have for baking apple pies or apple slices for kids

Comments about Pampered Chef Apple Corer/Slicer:

It's expensive, but high quality. Takes the skin off apples easily and quickly. Great for baking apple pies or for picky kids who want the skin off their apples. Also nice for caramel apple dipping for kids.

Pampered Chef Apple Peeler Corer Slicer

from Shawnee, OK

Comments about Pampered Chef Apple Corer/Slicer:

In general I love all Pampered Chef products because they are fun, easy-to-use and easy to clean, not to mention they last forever. The Pampered Chef Apple Peeler Corer and Slicer is fun to use. You set it up, pick your apple and put into place then start cranking, how fun. This would be a good product to use if you were making a pie or Apple dumplings. I would not recommend this item to coreing, peeling and slicing one apple. It is simply too much work to set up, peel and wash for a simple apple. I would much rather grab one of my Pampered Chef knifes than going to the hassel. If you are into using apples in bulk on a regular basis then I think this is something you would benefit from. Otherwise, stick to a knife or simple corer.

It's useful and fun!

from West Hills, CA

Comments about Pampered Chef Apple Corer/Slicer:

I have had this peeler/corer for years and I love it! When I take it out of the cupboard, my kids come running to grab the peel as the apple goes through the device. They have a contest to see who gets the longest peel! The peeler/corer is perfect for making pies and cobblers and for adding apples to salads. My girls don't like to bite in to whole apples so it is the perfect tool to get them to eat an apple and it is so quick - just takes a minute or two. The only thing I do not care for is that it is hard to pull the remaining core off of the steel prongs. I've sliced my knuckles a time or two fighting with it. Other than that, it is a staple in my kitchen and we all love it!

Apple Peeler Corer is great for pie!

from Provo, UT

Comments about Pampered Chef Apple Corer/Slicer:

I first used this in a cooking class in college, and after realizing how easy and fun it was to use I just had to have one for myself. I waited a few years before purchasing one and have been glad that I have ever since. I really love using this for making apple pie, because it does all the work at once, and after I put them all in a bowl all I have to do is break them apart with my hands. This is also great for my kids because it slices the apples in to small manageable pieces that they can handle very easily, and it's great for making fruit salad! On mine it also has the option to leave the peels on or off, which is another benefit in my book because some people (like me) like the peels on, and other people (like my kids) like them off. The only complaint I have is that some odd shaped apples don't seem to feed through very well, and it's hard to find an entire batch of symmetrical apples each time I look. Overall I'd definitely recommend these.