2.5
Photo Printing Websites
mixbook

mixbook

2.5

Pros

• Easy to use (3)
  • Great picture quality (3)

• Family photos (3)

I was rather happy

I usually use Shutterfly to make my photo books and I have had good luck with them but when I saw the deal on Mixbooks for a Buy One Get One Free Photo Book, I had to give it a try.  It was only a few days before Christmas and I was looking for a good deal.  The books were very easy to figure out.  Most programs I have worked with just have their layout and that is it.  You don't have the freedom to move things around.  Mixbooks gave me the freedom to move pictures, add pictures, add clip-art and even add my own sayings.  It was easy to figure out how to upload pictures and operate the program.  The books were mailed right out and arrived quickly.  After placing my order, they gave the option of being able to make any changed for the next three hours. I didn't have to use that option but it is nice to have...in case you did realize a mistake.  I was happy with the soft cover.  I have always purchased hard cover from other companies but it was nearly half the price if I got the soft cover.  It makes the book look smaller since it is not as thick but I would get the soft cover again.  The pages seemed to be just as thick as a regular book.  I saw that someone else had complained that they were like magazine pages. They are not that thin by any means.  Some also said that the pictures looked grainy, but mine looked fine.  It probably depends on the quality of the photo and the resolution it is submitted in.

Mixbook.com

I was not happy with mixbook.com.  It's a great site if you are wanting to share your photos with others online.  I however, wanted to make a book of our wedding photos for our parents for Christmas.  I'm so unhappy with the print and look of the photo books that I really feel my "big" gift for our parents are very poor and ugly.  The high quality photos came out blurry and smuged.  You can see streeks down the page from their printer!  I would not recomend this for others looking to order photo books.  The money and time I put into this does not show.

I've created over 20 books using Mixbook

from Southlake, Texas

About Me Casual Photographer

Pros

• Easy to Use
  • Great Picture Quality

• Landscape/Scenery
    • Travel

Comments about mixbook:

A few years ago, I took apart my kids paper scrapbooks, had them scanned professionally, and loaded them into mixbook. I absolutely loved how they turned out. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to start with 2016 and I created another photo book. From there I have continued creating books, counting down toward the year we got married. I have since completed over 20 books. I have loved the quality of the books I have created and they have turned out so beautiful. Its been super easy to use and I almost have an entire history of my family in print and stored in Mixbook.

• Was this a gift?:

Don't use them if you live outside the US

from UK

About Me Pro Photographer

Pros

• Compact
    • Easy to Use
    • Great Picture Quality
    • Lightweight

Comments about mixbook:

The quality of the books is good (not as good as the old Apple books, but better than others), but the price doubles due to UPS 'brokerage charges' and customs duties.

Customer communication/support was also poor.

Wow wow wow

from United Kingdom

About Me Casual Photographer

Pros

• Easy to Use
      • Great Picture Quality

• Weddings/Events

Comments about mixbook:

I ordered a card from my grand children for their parents wedding day and wow! It's just what I wanted. Thank you. Delivery was quick. It is well wrapped and where else would I have been able to get a unique card. Will definitely use Mixbook again for special occasions. Thank you

Shocked by the decline

Comments about mixbook:

I was shocked when MixBook quality dropped so far.

BEAUTIFUL photobooks!

from Reading, PA

Comments about mixbook:

I have used mixbook for several years now to purchase photobooks that I have made online. They are my absolute favorite digital scrapbooking website! I have always been pleased with the finished product once it's been printed!

I love that mixbook has many features to use and so many different options for layouts, stickers, and such! It can be a bit overwhelming if you are new to scrapbooking or new to mixbook as well. But the beautiful end result is very much worth it!

I have never ordered any other photo products from mixbook - i.e. calendars, prints, etc. I do wish that their photobooks weren't so expensive, but you really do get a good quality book for the price you pay!

Processing and shipping time is done in a fashionable amount of time. I have always received my items in a short time period. The items are packaged well which prevents any damage during shipping.

If you subscribe to their e-mail list, they often have sales which definitely helps with the cost of the photo products!

Excellent at the beginning, now it is different...

Comments about mixbook:

So I used to LOVE mixbook: I ordered a total of 11 baby books! I started using Mixbook at their beginning (I think) in 2011. I was so impressed by their book, that I started making lots of them. I also made card and I was so happy of the full concept. I would have invested in the company if I could. Adding stickers, creating your own, and the paper quality was awesome: glossy but thin, very nice to the touch and the colors were fantastic.

Recently I realize that I could have added accents to my baby books (Mixbook does not allow you to add accents with the fonts, but you can trick it by creating two boxes of text, one with the accents, one with the word). So I just changed the accents, and reprinted 2 baby books (the ones I did print in 2011).
        When I received the books I literally cried... maybe it is the hormones (I've just had a second baby) but the colors were terrible. The paper was much thicker (which I actually do not like for a book, I prefer their previous thin paper that feels amazing to turn), and the faces color are all re-dish. My baby photos looked so good before and now on this new paper/color combo she looks like she has all these spots on the face and is all red. The black and white pictures are way too dark (in comparison to my previous exact same baby book printed in 2011).

I am super disappointed of course, and I have contacted their customer service with no reply yet. Not sure why they decided to go for this paper, because that does not feel good at all. And the colors... I am sure it does not come from my photos (because they did it right for 9 of my photo books back then and now in 2013 the colors are all wrong).

I also ordered 70 birth announcements for my new baby that I did not receive yet, and I am a bit worried....

So I give it a rating of 3: it was perfect back in 2011 and really really terrible in 2013. The UI definitely improved (it was super buggy in 2011) but the end result matters too much.

I have tried other services from other companies, and it was actually way worse with the colors and the cropping. So I will just stop making picture books and cards.

Count me as a fan!

Comments about mixbook:

I just received my second 12 x 12 hardcover Mixbook and I am very satisfied. I found everything about Mixbook to be top notch. I chose it because I had read reviews about the photo quality and that was my main criteria - I wanted the photos to look exactly as I had sent them in and they did. There is a great selection of fonts, backgrounds (you can even make your own), colours, and embellishments. I used customer service a few times and always got a speedy response. I think the quality of the paper is great and the covers have come out beautifully. I find the program very easy to use. My first book was focussed on the first 5 years of my twin grandchildrens' life and the second was a travel book on a trip to China. Compared to other photobooks I think the price of Mixbook is very good. I do not have one complaint about Mixbook.

Use another photobook company that has customer service!

Comments about mixbook:

I ordered Christmas cards from Mixbook, which were OK. The quality not spectacular, but the website was easy to use and offered a lot of options, so I decided to order photobooks for Christmas presents. BIG MISTAKE. As with the cards, the site was easy to use and offered a wide range of decorating options. I received the books in a fairly timely manner and, at first glance, they looked great. As I started reviewing the pages individually, I found a stripe down EVERY page of EVERY book, so I contacted customer service. I received a response within a day asking for photos of the quality problem and I replied with the requested photos with the problem clearly shown. It has now been a full SEVEN DAYS and I have not received any response. I have sent multiple emails and even resubitted the problem...to no avail. So, as long as you don't have any problems with your product, Mixbook is fine. But if you have ANY issues, you apparently have to deal with it because there is no recourse. They do not have any customer service phone lines. So, if they choose not to respond via email (which they have so professionally chosen to do) all you can do is take. It would be a fantastic place to start a business.

Terrible

Comments about mixbook:

Do not use this company. Won't bore you with the details just trust me. Did a photobook and one page came out almost black although several of their customer service people said everything looked fine. Used them again for my holiday cards, my mistake, terrible I would have been better off at Walmart. Use Shutterfly, Tiny Prints, etc please!

Photos are way too dark and all images look like red lobsters!

Comments about mixbook:

Very Poor. The photo images are too dark, to much contrast and all the images of people look like lobsters.