Other Vacuums:
Robot Vacuums
iRobot
iRobot Roomba Discovery Vacuum

iRobot Roomba Discovery Vacuum

Why vaccuum yourself when a Roomba can do it for you

The Roomba Discovery is a great asset to any home.  I have been using one for over 4 years and every time I empty the dirt bin am amazed at how much dirt, dust and hair is in there.

You will have to sweep the dirt away from the walls and corners periodically as it doesn't hug the walls tightly and can't reach all the way into the corner.  Roomba gives you the freedom to do other things.  Instead of pushing a heavy vaccuum around;  just press a button, set the virtual walls and off it goes.  Since it vaccuums over each area more than once it really picks up everything.  Dust, hair, cheerios, crumbs, leaves, grass and much more.  Maintenance is fairly easy.  Every other cleaning, take out the brushes to remove the debris and wipe them with a damp cloth.  Change the filter (which I wash in the sink and set out to dry),  and wipe the dust off the inside of the dust bin and brush assembly area.   I would recommend the Pet accessory kit even if you don't have pets, it has a great tube that you push the brush through to remove all hair and dust that has wound around the bristles.

I can say from experience that Roomba's customer service is excellent.  They are very knowledgeable about their products and are happy to help out.  If your Roomba should stop working within the warranty period they will send you a new one.  If it should happen after the warranty expires, you can purchase a new one directly from them at a discounted price.

This is truly a revolutionary product and a necessity for any home.

How frustrating this device can be

The Roomba Discovery was our choice for something to keep upstairs to run quickly instead of lugging our heavy Dyson up and down the stairs consistently.  Our expectations were that it would do a good job but not as good as our Dyson.  In the end, the roomba has not met our expectations, even though they are low.  1. The Roomba does not have much suction and therefore does not pick up dust or pet hair nearly as well as we expected.

2. The Roomba does not work in rooms that have a lot of furniture or furniture that is not all up against the wall.

3. The Roomba does not work at all in large rooms, like our bedroom which is 25x18.

4. The Roomba can get stuck under dressers and other such things.

5. It often has trouble finding its home base

6. It is frustrating to watch because its so inefficient.

7. It gets caught up in power cords and cables easily, so preparing a room may take more time than vaccuuming it with another vaccuum.

8. It doesn't even handle a 10x12 room for us completely without having lost its charge.

9. Gets caught on door stoppers on the wall.

It does work well in hallways and rooms with wide open areas.  Otherwise, I wouldn't buy it again.

Great little gismo

from San Francisco, CA

Comments about iRobot Roomba Discovery Vacuum:

Roomba Discovery IRobot is a great little gadget. We really like it - it allows us to multitask when getting ready for guests, which is a great time-saver. While Roomba is vacuuming, I am preparing food, and my husband is setting the table - work great! However, it gets caught between chair legs, and then we have to rescue it, but it's still worth the money...

It is awesome, great for a busy person if you use the schedular.

from Seattle, WA

Comments about iRobot Roomba Discovery Vacuum:

I just absolutely love it, don't know what I did before I had it.  I have it set up in the high traffic area of the house and it is scheduled to run twice a week while I'm out at work.  I come home to clean house with the roomba back in the charger (more often than not.

An essential item for the the multi-tasker

from Fort Mill, SC

Comments about iRobot Roomba Discovery Vacuum:

I had surgery and was not allowed to vacuum. Well I couldn;t stand it, and asked for a Roomba straight away.  It saved my sanity and entertained me.  Now it's just part of our weekly cleaning life.  It does upsatirs, I do down. It does the master bedroom, I do the living room.  It is noisy, vacuums the room like a drunken sailor, and needs to be cleaned often and carefully. But, I love it.  I am waiting with baited breath for design improvements through the years and to have more!

I love my Roomba!!

from Sarasota, FL

Comments about iRobot Roomba Discovery Vacuum:

The iRobot Roomba is amazing. I love it! I use my Roomba daily. I have had it for several years. I had to replace the battery once. I called customer service and they took care of it. They sent me a new battery free of charge. The virtual walls are very helpful when cleaning one area. The Roomba works great on tile, hardwood floors and carpet. Be careful if you have berber carpet. Sometimes, the berber has some frayed ends and the Roomba will suck it in.

Wish I'd bought this sooner.

from Stafford, NY

Comments about iRobot Roomba Discovery Vacuum:

I have thought about getting a roomba for years, but thought they were too costly, and likely not as good as they were touted to be. I got a really good price on a new one, and decided to take the leap. WOW, am I impressed. I have 7 cats, a messy African Grey parrot, and a mini schnauzer who is allergic to everything. I also have laminate flooring in my LR and DR. It shows everything! The roomba picks up the clumps of cat hair from my long haired cat, and also the ever present layer of cat hair from the others. It also gets the dust, dander, etc. from the animals. It even gets the bird food thrown by my parrot, which is a huge benefit, Greys are really sloppy! it goes under the furniture in the LR and most of the furniture in the DR. I do have to clean it after every use, because of the long cat hair, but that is a small price to pay for not having the nasty looking floor, and not having to drag out the vacuum or broom. I have fibromyalgia, and osteo arthritis, so any type of cleaning is miserable for me. This little machine is my new best friend.

Gotta Have It

from Portsmouth, VA

Comments about iRobot Roomba Discovery Vacuum:

I love my Roomba.  Would love to have one on each of the two floors of my home though.  I have had mine for about a year now and love it!  It's so great to just put the roomba down, turn it on and leave the house then come back to a perfectly vacuumed floor.  After each use I clean out the bin that's full of dust and particles only to find some toy pieces (lite-brite pegs, etc.) that got lost under the sofa or bed.  I even found an expensive earring once that I had lost.  I do have to cut off hair that got caught in the roller after each use but that's a small price to pay.  I am amazed at how well it picks up dust and dirt.  I love the fact it gets under my furniture & beds so those dusty areas don't accumulate dust bunnies any more. I highly recommend this for elderly people too as there is a remote and a holder to hang it in.  All needed is to set the vacuum onto the floor, press the remote and the vacuuming is done for them so there is no need to be pushing a heavy vacuum around the house. Makes a great gift too!  I find it fun to have the Roomba vacuuming for me while I'm either gone from the house or doing another chore at home.  My housework gets done that much faster!

great for people who want clean floors, but hate vacuuming

from New York, NY

Comments about iRobot Roomba Discovery Vacuum:

The lazy side of my psyche absoulutely HATES vacuuming, the aesthetic side of my psyche hates dirty floors, My  desire for economy of space is not keen on the idea of a big, bulky vacuum cleaner taking up space, yet seldom used.  Enter: the Roomba.

A lot of time and money has been spent on the design of vacuum cleaners.  A mere hundred and twenty years ago, the average vacuum cleaner was the size of a septic tank and required two horses to pull it down the street, stopping door to door at the homes of houswives who were not keen on beating rugs and sweeping.

In that time, we have been able to develop more efficient, more user friendly more powerful vacuums.  We have developed machines that can paint walls, wash floors, and some even roll on balls rather than wheels to allow greater freedom of movement.  Many of the upright models even have headlights, just incase the operator of the vacuum was umable to see into the dark crevices under the sofa.

But form follows function, and the Roomba has taken its place as the ultimate vacuum cleaner.  It doesn't have a headlight.  Doesn't paint walls.  In fact, it doesn't do a thing except vacuum your floors.  But:  it does it all by itself!  Nobody needs to push it.  Nobody needs to direct it.  All you have to do is put it in a room, come back about an hour later and the floor is vacuumed.  This alone is worth all the fancy gimmicks in the world.  And this makes it the worlds best vacuum cleaner.

This little robotic disc is about 14 inches in diameter and 3.5 inches high and takes about 60 minutes to vacuum an average sized living room.  While the concept of a robitic vacuum cleaner sounds pretty high tech, how it gets every bit your room is not.  It doesn't use GPRS.  Doesn't use laser beams or radar.  It uses chance to cover every bit of floorspace.

It starts out in a spiral type motion fom its starting point.  From there it moves in straight lines until it encounters an obstruction i.e a wall, a chair leg.  From there, it makes approximately a 170 degree turn until it hits the next obstruction, and so on and so forth.  This does not sound very scientific, yet with this technology, it manages to successfully vacuum an average size living room in about an hour.

It it will do this until it runs out of power unless you have had the foresight to purchase a charging dock, one of the many accessories you can get with the iRobot Roomba Discovery.  And unless you have purchased a "virtual wall" or have closed the door of the room in which the Roomba will be operating, it will feel free to wander room to room until it runs out of power.

However, if you buy a roomba, I would strongly recommend you get a dock and two virtual walls.  The dock allows the roomba to roll on or roll off without messing with a charger cord.  And when the roomba is running out of juice, it "senses" the presence of the charging dock, and will automatically go to it for a charge up.

The virtual wall is a device that sends out an infrared beam that will prevent the roomba from going past it.  This way, you can confine the roomba to a room, or even a part of a room.

You can even get, as an accessory a remote control for your roomba that allows you to control it much like a remote controlled car.

You can even schedule it to vacuum weekly, monthly or even daily.  However, remember It is a robot so it wont prepare the room for vacuuming, i.e pick up your things.

This is a vacuum that can vacuum a room all by itself while you go and do something else.  That's the bottom line.

Now for the caveats:

The roomba has a small cartridge which needs to be emptied frequently.  Usually once every few rooms, unless the rooms in question are particularly filthy

You will also need to put some time into cleaning the brushes after every few uses.  Roomba makes a cleaning tool to facilitate this, but it is picky work.  An eyeglass screwdriver is ideal for getting the hair that gets wrapped around the brush rollers.

the mechanism is very, very sensitive and will not tolerate rough treatment.  It is very easy to "mess it up" by treating it too roughly.

If there are too many infrared devices in one small area it might get "confused" on which to follow.  For instance, if you try to use the remote too close to the charging dock while a virtual wall is turned on, it wont go in any particular direction and will move aimlessly until it gets sufficiently far from the infrared devices.

It may have some trouble with rug tassels and door saddles.  It has very robust wheels and will only have difficulty with the highest of door saddles, but is is a good idea to tape down rug tassels before use.

But it's a very, very cool machine.  The little bit of maintenance one has to do is worth the fact that it vacuums a room ALL BY ITSELF, while you can do anything you want! And while it is not perfect, it is effective enough to be worth it!

Read, set , Go!

from Saint Paul, MN

Comments about iRobot Roomba Discovery Vacuum:

I purchased an iRobot Discovery about 5 years ago-today cannot live with out it.

Hubby and I have actually grown to find it indispensable- her name is Helga

She's on her last legs and needs to be replaced. One thing to keep in mind is that these appliances are not vaccuums they are actually sweeps. Make sure that you always have 'god' batteries in the virtual walls as they will prevent iRobot from making stair 'tumbles' and to go where it isn't supposed to. Wish the price would come down though.

The Roomba is a great tool

from Wichita, KS

Comments about iRobot Roomba Discovery Vacuum:

The Roomba is a great tool. My husband is a self professed "neat freak". And he also loves technology - so this was the perfect birthday present. We just couldn't resist the idea of letting a machine do all the vacuuming work. First off, the Roomba does a great job of picking debris off the floor and keeping our floor and carpet looking good. I was disappointed at first and it took a while for me to adjust my expectations of this product. The Roomba is not for deep cleaning. It doesn't have the suction of a real vacuum. It works best for picking up pet hair and surface dirt that our kid drags in. It works great on our hard wood floor. Occasionally, it will get caught when it encounters the rug corner under a chair. But, we have learned its little quirks now. It also runs into the baseboards and furniture and scratches the finish. The battery only lasted a little over a year. Having a clean floor appeases my husband, so it's well worth the money!

I could use another iRobot Roomba

from Kechi, KS

Comments about iRobot Roomba Discovery Vacuum:

I have a friend who loves her Roomba. I've been looking for the right priced Roomba for a couple of years, and finally ran across one at a local store. I decided to finally invest in one. I have used it just a few weeks. I have a large entry room combining the kitchen, dining room, laundry room, and living room. It is all wood and tile floor. I have a cat, dog, and live in the country. The main room gets cat hair, dust, and whatever the dog's hair decides to bring in from the outside (non-shedding dog). The Roomba does a nice job cleaning the floor, although I'm sad that it is too tall to go underneath my low couches and coffee table. It is a bit noisy when running on the wood/tile floors. It typically finds the charging base to return to when it is finished. The base is hidden in a secluded area, and the Roomba directions say to leave it in an open area for the sensors to find each other. So, I just return it when done if needed. I do have to clean the Roomba of hair and debris almost after each use, but am willing to take the effort. I have used it in my bedrooms separately. It does a nice job on carpet, but it does go over the areas several times. It needs recharged after each room is completed. It is great for the typical weekly cleaning, but to clean/vacuum in one days time for company, I would say invest in more Roombas or just vacuum for a deeper cleaning.