4.1

4.1

Pros

Cons

The Robot that Vacuums for You so You Can Relax

My husband brought home a present that I thought was going to be a new puppy around Christmas time, and when I came out to the room to where my "present" was, I suddenly heard this "whirring" sound, looked down, and there was my iRobot Roomba® 530 cleaning my carpets and floors for me!  No, folks, it wasn't a puppy, but it was the next best thing ~ something that saves me from the neck and back pain that I always had after using a traditional vacuum.  My husband is a busy man at work and is so tired when he comes home, that the last thing he wants to do is help with the vacuuming.  Our Roomba, who we affectionally now call "Robby", does most of our vacuuming for us.  He conveniently is parked at a docking station where he gets re-charged and to where he returns when he starts running low on energy.  He just starts heading toward his docking station, docks, and his red circular light goes on that shows that he's charging (we say that Robby's "feeding").  For a small, round, flat automatomic vacuum, the Roomba does a surprisingly wonderful shop of sucking up all of the dirt and dust from both carpet and floor, and adjusts to both surfaces and textures.  When it finds a larger particle of dust or dirt, its center light comes on, and it circles all over it until it sucks it up inside.  It also comes with two "virtual walls" (each emits an adjustable infrared beam up to 8 feet) that you can place wherever you want to tell the Roomba not to vacuum there - it creates an invisible boundary that the Roomba cannot cross.

Cleaning it is very easy.  Just open the dirt catcher and dump out the dirt right into your trash can. Occasionally, long hair gets caught around the wheels, and have to be removed with scissors.  Oh, and by the way, it also knows when it is against a wall, and follows along it until it's done that path against the wall.  The only real "con" is that Roomba doesn't hit every spot on your rug or floor, and seems to just go its own way, especially in a wide, open style home, so sometimes you need to watch it, turn it off for a moment, and turn it in the direction you want it to go.

All in all, it's not the absolute perfect vacuum cleaner, but it's just GREAT for either in between cleaning or for help for a person such as I am who has back and neck injuries, or for someone who is disabled.  I just love to hear Robby doing the job for me so I can be free from pain. He's a real pal.

It's the best toy you can buy a one year old!

Looking for a way to get your toddler to pitch in around the house? Get yourself a roomba, and watch as he/she goes from something to clean up after to your own personal house cleaner. My son will not leave this thing alone. We actually have to put it away, so he can't push the button and send it on its way. My floors have never been cleaner!

Details, details: I don't think this thing would work very well on tall carpet. We have laminate floors and a berber carpeted area that it makes its rounds through, and it does a nice job. The tray doesn't hold much, but I mostly use it for sucking up pet hair and crumbs. So, I would suggest it as an every day approach to general cleaning. We still use a regular vacuum cleaner for our major cleaning. It also occasionally gets stupid and passes over a certain area endlessly.

Kudos for the bot: First, this thing is fun. I know that seems silly, but it is great. When have you ever wanted to watch a vacuum?! It will even get your pet some exercise. Secondly, we have a refurbished model, and it runs well. This things takes so much abuse (children hitching a ride, non stop turning off and on, dog bites). Finally, it goes home! I love that. No clean up, just make sure you hear the little song it plays when it finds its way to the docking station.

Love my roomba

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

I love my roomba! I have two dogs, a cat, and a baby. Having the roomba makes my life just a little bit easier. It helps to keep the shedding animal fur off the floor which means it keeps it out of baby's mouth. It's not meant to be perfect but it does come close. It makes it so that I can vacuum less often, which means more time I can spend with the baby. I just wish the price of it all and it's parts were cheaper.

• Versatility:

I should have gotten one of these years ago.

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

My girlfriend was always complaining that she didn't get any help from me around the house because I work two jobs and am not home much save for sleeping. So I decided to get her this roomba device for cleaning the floors. We've had this device for about 2 months and she just loves it to death. We have hardwood floors and they are clean every day. I'm just glad I don't have to hear it anymore...this product is great.

• Versatility:

Great, but doesn't replace a vacuum

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

The roomba is great. It goes under the beds and couches, and does a really great job of picking up all kinds of dust. It can get stuck in certain places, so be sure to look out for that if you haven't seen roomba in a while! And it definitely doesn't get everything, so you may still have to use a Swiffer or a mop or a stand up vacuum in some areas. But it's quick, handy, and it really does a good job of picking up dust and dirt!

• Versatility:

Pricy for what amounted to be more of a novelty.

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

My boyfriend was convinced we needed this so we shelled out the cash and brought it home. It was kind of cool watching it roll around the room picking up after us, we added some googly eyes for extra entertainment value, but I'm not sure it's a very good fit for my home. We've got two adults, a child, and a pet and our carpets get pretty messy. The Roomba doesn't vacuum up as much as I'd like which leaves me having to vacuum once a week anyway.

Maneuverability
I will say this, it gets around the room wonderfully.

Ease of Maintenance
We haven't had it that long but it's been easy to empty and take care of so far.

Suction Performance
Seems to leave behind a lot of mess that I have to go back and vacuum myself which kind of defeats the purpose of having one.

Versatility
It vacuums the carpet and the tile floors but it doesn't do a very good job on the carpet.

It's really kind of adorable and futuristic and I like how it looks a lot. If only being good looking could make something work better.

It seems durable and like it will last long, we shall see.

Provides cleaning and companionship

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

In addition to cleaning the carpets and floors, the iRobot Roomba 530 provides companionship to you and your family. Before long you will trust it to look after your infant children while you and your spouse go out for a date night—it’s that good.

The 530 is a slightly older design and is part of the third generation of iRobots which were a slight improvement in design over earlier models in terms of appearance and accessories, but with similar cleaning ability.

The 530 comes with “virtual walls” that are very exciting to have and to own at first, but much less exciting to actually use. “Real” obstacles like chairs or doors work just as well. Mostly they just take up space in the junk-drawer until you finally toss them into the recycling bin. The emotional process takes 12-18 months as you come to terms with parting with a gadget that seemed great in concept, but terrible in practice.

Virtual walls aside, the Roomba 530 is awesome. It does exactly what it promises. It sweeps up your floor with the touch of a button. It does not clean as well as a more traditional vacuum cleaner, but given that it takes virtually no effort to vacuum the house it is well worth the tradeoff. Our upright vacuum rarely sees the light of day.

The Roomba 530 is best categorized as a “sweeper” rather than a vacuum. Suction is weak, but powerful enough to get most of the dry dust off the floor. There is a rotating corner brush that kicks dust off the walls into her (yes, our Roomba is a girl, only our kids know why) path which works well.

Maintenance is fairly straightforward. Our dear Roomba will occasionally get a string wrapped around her brush, but that is the worst of it. My wife takes better care of the Roomba than our other vacuums because the others are easier to live without.

On the down side (because there is always a down side), sometimes Roomba gets trapped in the downstairs bathroom and the charging station is somewhat of an eyesore with no good place to keep it. But these issues are a small price to pay for such convenience and loyalty.

You sit and watch TV, the Roomba 530 maneuvers

Ease of Maintenance
A squirt of Windex from time to time will keep it clean. Occasional strings or hair around the brush (no biggie)

Suction Performance
It does what you expect it to do.

Versatility
It can clean carpet, bare floors. Never talks back.

Cool, but the charging station is kind of hard to place so it's accessible and discreet

Very solid and well built

• Versatility:

Summarize this product in one sentence.

from Saint Marys, OH

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

I have a Roomba and I use it between cleaning with a regular sweeper. I just set in a room and close the door and it does all of the work. It will shut off when it has swept the entire room. It is great to use between my regular sweeping. I just set it and leave.

iRobot Rooma's Rock!

from Dallas, GA

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

Years ago when these vacuum's first came out, we bought one. We now own 3. My husband would actually own more if we could afford them. We have a couple of other models besides this one (they were cheaper) but I think this is my favorite of the 3. The only things we dislike are: the batteries are expensive to replace, they tend to get stuck under low things like our couch or sometimes they stick on our floor vents, they won't do stairs but that's not a biggie. We have hardwood floors in most of our home so it's really handy to have these. You just turn them on and when they're done you empty them out (really simple). If you are a female, you will have to cut the hair out of the brushes periodically but that is true of a lot of vacuum's. I think the thing I like best is that it's less work for me (saves my back). My neice was so impressed that she wanted one! I really like that if a child picks them up, they turn themselves off so you don't have to worry about them getting hurt. I have read about little kids getting hurt by playing with a vacuum and with this one, no worries.

Expensive, Not Efficient Vacuum

from San Tan Valley, AZ

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

This product could be better. It really skips over alot of the areas. It is more practical for light vacuuming. Not for a normal household with kids. If there is very minimal debis on the floors then this would not ideal. It does not pick up eveything.

Maneuverability
It seems that is maneuvers randomly. It glides easily on the wooden floors.

Ease of Maintenance
Easy Maintenance, charge it over night. And empty the filter inside.

Suction Performance
It does pick up most of the debris on the carpet, but not all of the items. It does do alot better on the wooden floors.

Versatility
It really is not versatile at all.

The design is good, but could be better. The round design does not allow it to reach other areas.

The durability of the vacuum is good. Its strong and not flimsy. It does bang into the furnature and walls lightly. Its tough.

iRobot Roomba = Mommy's New Best Friend

from Pennsauken, NJ

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

I am a single mother of two very active and messy boys. I also commute two and half hours for work 5 days a week. It is a challenge for me to keep up with housework during the week considering I dont' have any help...until now! I wish I had bought a Roomba sooner. It is perfect for when I don't feel like dragging out my other huge vacuum. It is perfect for a litlle mid-week vacuuming session. I used to only vacuum once a week on Saturday. Once my youngest started crawling, I decided that once a week was not enough. Trust me, there is nothing like vacuuming while relaxing from a long day on the couch! It really does a great job. I love the spot cleaning feature. The kids love this thing to. My oldest son even asks if he can "vacuum". Imagine that!

iRobot Roomba

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

I never thought that I would purchase one of these, because I actually thought they were too expensive and they were for lazy people. But after having a baby crawling around, and now a two-year-old running around, I find that I have less and less time to do basic cleaning these days. This Roomba helps out so much. It is not perfect at picking things up, but it definitely prolongs using a regular vacuum. You just have to make sure that you clean out the filter regularly. It cleans under my bed and other furniture as well. But it will suck up any loose cords you have laying on the floor, so you may want to pick certain things up before turning it on. Also, mine came with a laser that keeps the Roomba in a contained area. I use it when I want to focus on one room or area so that the Roomba doesn't stray. Overall, I would say that if you're strapped for time or just hate vacuuming the Roomba is a great thing to own. It works well on carpets, wood floors, and tile in my experience.