Other Vacuums:

iRobot Roomba Vacuum

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

Awesome for the super busy!

Our Roomba is a great addition to our chaotic house! We have four children and the floors rapidly drown in dirt, sand, buttons, etc. etc. etc. While I do need to pick up before I turn it loose, it is no more work than I have before using a standard vacuum cleaner - but unlike the standard vac, I just turn the Roomba loose while I go do other things! It gets under our beds and chairs and even couches if they have sufficient clearance, and does a fine job getting everything up.

A tip from the Been There, Done That category: Make sure to give it a good, thorough cleaning every few times. Clean the brushes and blow out the dust that has accumulated around the moving parts. Too much dust can block sensors and cause it to "just stop working for no reason". This is easy to do, and takes me less than ten minutes about once a week - I run it daily, sometimes multiple times daily. It's a small price to pay for the ability to be off to something ELSE while the floors get cleaned!!

Great for easy pick ups...

While the iRobot is great when you need to set it up and run out the door.  Or even when you have time to watch it when it needs to be emptied.  However, when you have multiple pets in the house, iRobot still has a long way to go.  Filling up on pet hair, needing to be emptied every 20 minutes, not good for this pet happy family.

Love it! Love it ! Love it!

from Arnold, MO

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

I absolutely could not live without my Roomba. I have 3 cats and a dog and a 7 year old so upkeep on hair and crumbs is a must for me. Usually I clean up the dishes after breakfast and then push the button to start this baby up and it picks up all the crumbs, hair, etc while I go do something else. Then it returns back to the charger when done and recharges itself.

This is well worth the money. I will always own one of these, it is fantastic!!!

Maneuverability
This baby can go almost anywhere! It goes under my bed and my coffee tables and sofas
When I do move my furniture to vacuum underneath it, there isn't so much cat hair that I could make another cat out of it, like there used to be before Roomba came into my life.

Ease of Maintenance
This is not hard to take care of, but does require a little maintenance to keep it going. Obviously you have to empty out the collection container after use. You also need to take the brushes off (very easy to do, they are meant to come in and out in a regular basis) and clean those with the special tool they give you. Doing all of this takes about 2 minutes, pop everything back in and charge it up for its next use.

Suction Performance
If you use this on a daily basis on your floors, this can keep up quite nicely. I have a Dyson that I use once a week and still pick up hair with that, but not nearly as much. Plus I have 3 cats and a big dog so there is always hair to be picked up off the floor.

Versatility
This goes from hardwood to tile to laminate to carpet with ease. I use it on every type of flooring in my house.

Looks sleek, I get a lot of comments and questions about it.

So far, mine is holding up great!

• Versatility:

Roomba 770 is a MUST HAVE for you!

from Tom Bean, Texas

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

I am actually reviewing the IRobot Roomba 770...a newer version and I lOVE IT!! It is so wonderful to have this thing at our home.

Maneuverability
I can work it's way out of any problem without issue. It has found it's way from around cords, shoes, toys, doors, etc.... If it is in the way...no problem for the Roomba 770

Ease of Maintenance
so far, there hasn't been much work to be done on it. We clean the filters and program it and off it goes. We empty the reservoir when it tells us its full and that is it.

Suction Performance
Every time I empty the canister, it is full of minute dirt that shocks me. Pet and human hair do not pose a problem for it and I am always happy to see my floor clean.

Versatility
Very versatile in our home considering that there is so much stuff on the floors with a 3 year old and 6 animals around. No complaints.

I couldn't think of a better designs so this one is excellent in my book. The rounded corners with bumpers is an excellent idea for the geometry of most homes.

No problems yet. I hope we don't have any but, if we do, we will warranty it and keep going. I will never be without one of these again.

• Versatility:

Unexpectedly in love with it!

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

My boyfriend recommended I try the Roomba and eventually I decided to give it a shot. I love setting it to run when I leave the house and come back and find my house all vacuumed and cleaned! It feels like a housekeeper has been there while I was away :)

Maneuverability
This little vacuum seems to fit in anywhere. The only thing I have to pre-plan for is making sure objects are off the floor before I let it do it's thing, otherwise it will obstruct the vacuuming. Also, my dog isn't afraid of it and likes to lay in the middle of the floor even while it's running. It can be ineffective when the vacuum begins to consider your dog a wall it has to vacuum around.

Ease of Maintenance
It's pretty easy to maintain. I'd just empty the trap and clean the brushes after every run, rather than after every 3 runs.

Suction Performance
Seems to do a terrific job!

Versatility
It's great. I can plunk it down just about anywhere and it gets the job done.

Great design. Unlike other robot vacuums, I really like the circular shape of this vacuum. I don't worry about it knocking over something or accidentally nicking something.

Seems to be holding up to a lot of use!

convenient for quick clean

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

I used the roomba primarily for tiled floors as it tends to get stuck or not work too well on carpet. It's great for a quick cleaning but it does not pick up everything if you are going for a deep clean. Another drawback is having to keep track of it especially when you want to prevent it from going onto carpet or flying down the stairs. It also tends to circle the same areas so it takes a while for all areas to be cleaned.

• Versatility:

Don't know how we lived without a Roomba.

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

Love our Roomba. We have 2 shorthair dogs but it picks up lots of dirt and hair every day. Other then cleaning it good weekly and dumping the bin daily it is pretty much maintenance free.

Maneuverability
Will hang up occasionally but you learn how to move things around.

Ease of Maintenance
Takes awhile to clean weekly if thread or strings get wrapped around brushes.

Suction Performance
It is amazing how much it picks up every day. We have all tile and it picks up stuff we couldn't even see.

Versatility
It will jump up on carpets and clean them also.

It has only one flaw that I see. Dirt and hair can get up into the gears. When this happens you have to take 6 screws out to clean them.

I know people that have had them last for many years.

Does a great job.

from Minneapolis, MN

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

I have an 80lb husky, golden retriever mix. And as you might imagine, she has a lot of fur. Problem is, it seemed no matter how often I vacuumed, I just couldn't keep up.

Enter: the Roomba 570. This model Roomba has a scheduling feature that allows you to set a start time for every day of the week. It's super handy. I just set it at I time I know I'll be away from the house and the Roomba takes care of the rest.

Now the house looks great and I no longer feel like a slave to the vacuum. I definitely recommend it.

Great roomba

from Tomball, TX

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

I have had mine for 2 1/2 years. It works great. With updaged green CHM and Aerovac bin, it cleans my tile and carpeted floors spotless. I have mine clean three large rooms trasissionning from room to room then returns to base. You do have to empty the bin after every carpet cleaning becuase it does such a good job picking up dog hair. The brushes only need inspecting and cleaned as necessary. It takes to two minutes to maintain. 2 minutes vs. 1 hour of manual vacuuming is a no brainer.

Great for hands-free cleaning

from Baltimore, MD

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

What I really like about the Roomba is that it runs by itself all over the place and cleans without me having to push it around like a traditional vacuum. Also I like that the Roomba doesn't fall off edges if you place it on a surface, like stairs or a table. It's great for cleaning day-to-day or for quick clean ups from time to time. It fits under a lot of furniture, and it's fun to watch it scuttle around sucking up dust and bits of trash.

The downside, however, is that it is pretty expensive. Also, while it does run along the edge, it doesn't seem to get the edges of my place very well. In addition, it is not perfect about navigating around tables and chairs and other items with legs, it makes a lot of noise when banging into the edges while trying to get around them. Also, because of that, one has to keep the floor free of items except large things like furniture. It has tripped up many times on stray items on the ground, such as shoes and wires.

id rather have a push vaccum

from Charlotte, TN

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

i recieved the irobot vaccum from my dad. I thought I would really enjoy the vaccum, but I was wrong. The one i recieved kept running into the walls and made a lot of strange noises. After i used it the first time, I did not feel safe leaving the room while it was working. IT would not pick up everythimg. It left traces of pet hair, which is why i wanted the irobot in the first place. It will get stck on socks if you are not wtaching it like a hawk. It also gets stcuk on tv wires when it tries to go behind the tv. It also gets stcuk on the frills on the end of rugs if you are not watching, You constantly have to empty it because it does not hold much. You still have to sweep to keep the floor ppicked up because it does not pick up everything like you think it will. i would much rather have a regular vaccum cleaner than the urobot because i regular vaccum cleaner cna pick up more than the irobot.

Make it look like you worked hard when you didn't.

from Charlotte, NC

Comments about iRobot Roomba Vacuum:

The Roomba 570 is a basic product. Extra virtual walls, docking stations, and programming aides can be purchased from irobot.

I like this one because my room mate and I disagree on how floors should be done. She prefers old fashioned uprights, and I prefer . . ROBOTS! The noise bothers her, and she had read it could spit dirt back onto the floor. I have heard of this, too, but it has never happened when using the Roomba. It will sense steps or furniture and avoid them. I like to watch the baby crawl around after it. And I feel better putting her on the floor with a cleaner surface, of course.

When my room mate is too busy to do chores or when it's my turn, I can simply run it when she isn't home. It is not the quietest model, but it will clean your floor for you. It is reasonably priced. If you are buying for someone more technically literate than I am, by all means upgrade your system.

But if you just want a clean floor and you do not want to get out of your chair, the Roomba 570 had got you covred!