Other Vacuums:
Robot Vacuums
iRobot
iRobot Roomba Scheduler Vacuum

iRobot Roomba Scheduler Vacuum

Works good but bangs into walls

from Knoxville, TN

Comments about iRobot Roomba Scheduler Vacuum:

I purchased this iRobot Roomba Scheduler at a yard sale and they had lost the scheduler controls so I never got to try that part out. However, with two little kids in the house it's impossible to schedule when the floors will be picked up for vacuuming so I'm not sure that I would have gotten much use out of the scheduler anyways.

This vacuum vacuums well as far as actual vacuuming goes. It is very noisy, and bangs into walls (they fixed this in later models - later models just barely tap the wall without banging into it).

I liked it well enough that I purchased a newer iRobot model a few months after getting this one and the newer models have a few nicer features that make them even easier to use but over all this model does the job and I still keep it around and charged for those times that I need two vacuums at once.

Maneuverability
This vacuum tends to bang into walls. I own a different iRobot model that doesn't do this.

Suction Performance
I think it gets the floors cleaner than when I vacuum

Versatility
We tried this out in our office and it doesn't work well because it gets caught up in all our power chords but it works great in the rest of the house.

• Maneuverability:
  • Ease of Maintenance:
  • Suction Performance:
  • Versatility:

Can't live without!! Love Him So Much!!!

from Madison, GA

Comments about iRobot Roomba Scheduler Vacuum:

***This vacuum is truly amazing!  I think all households should have one.  It just does it's job while you do anything and everything else, but vacuum.  My mom bought it for me and since she asked to borrow him and fell in love, so my dad got her one of her own for their anniversary last year, she of course loves hers too, she named him after my dad!  Too funny!  Most women I talk to that have them seem to refer to theirs as a he, hmmmmmm.  Anyway, if you're thinking about purchasing one for yourself, don't wait another moment, get out there and bring one home!***

A robot vacuum?! No, really. Get one!

from Seattle, WA

Comments about iRobot Roomba Scheduler Vacuum:

When my fiancée suggested buying a robot vacuum cleaner, I thought he had gone completely insane.  I mean, I love his geekiness, but even the VACUUM has to be a robot?! Come on! But I was so, so wrong.  This thing is absolutely brilliant.  A Roomba, in general, will trundle around your house by itself, vacuuming along, bumping into the walls or furniture or whatever and redirecting itself until it either a) runs out of batteries, b) gets stuck (like by closing the door accidentally and shutting itself in the bathroom, whoops), or c) has gone over the entire room 3 or 4 times.  Then it will trundle back to its docking station and plug itself back in.  You do have to remember to empty the dustbin periodically, but other than that, the Roomba is effortless.  You can be cleaning the rest of the house while it works or just taking a break.

Even better, though, is the "scheduler" type of Roomba.  With this particular model, you can set it up to vacuum when you are **not even in the house!** We have ours set to go on Monday, Wednesay, an Friday at about two in the afternoon when we're both at work. No vacuum noise, always coming home to a clean house, and just emptying a dustbin now and then - it's EXACTLY what I need out of a vacuum, and it's extraordinary.  Now if only someone would invent a laundry-ba, and a dishes-ba....

The Roomba is pretty good

from North Hollywood, CA

Comments about iRobot Roomba Scheduler Vacuum:

This is a very nice product that saves time and makes a positive impact on the cleanliness of our home. While I'm generally very pleased with my Roomba, it is not a perfect product and new buyers should educate themselves about both its benefits as well as its limitations. I will attempt to shed some light on both. We have 4 adults and two cats living in our 3 bedroom single story house and, before the Roomba, we took turns, once a week, pushing our excellent Electrolux vacuum around the house (just the people as we could never quite get the cats to help). Approximately 2/3 of the house is carpeted and 1/3 is either hardwood flooring or linoleum. I have programmed the Roomba to clean every weekday at 11am. On this schedule, it cleans for an hour to an hour and a half and then docks itself on its charger base to get ready for the next day's cleaning. I must admit that I was skeptical at first, but the Roomba quickly won me over. I am amazed and pleased that it seems to be able to get to just about every place in our home that is not otherwise blocked to it - such as closed closets. It has no trouble transitioning from carpeting to other flooring or traversing the threshold between the two. When the Roomba senses a particularly dirty area, a little blue LED lights up and the machine goes into either a circular or serpentine motion until all of the extra dirt is gone - amazing. It effortlessly cleans under couches, beds and other furniture - places that were missed by our manual vacuuming. On most days, its dust bin is quite full of dust, debris and cat hair. I've been expecting the volume to decrease as the house gets cleaner and cleaner, but amazingly in the 3 months since I bought it, the amount of dirt it picks up daily seems to be holding steady. I do notice that the house needs dusting much less often now and this is another benefit that we have seen. Its programming is impressive as it has little problem navigating from room to room and extricating itself from most "problems". Ok, so now for some of the negatives. 1) Hey, it's a vacuum and it makes some noise. So I program it to run when I'm at work. 2) It does not like some kinds of area rugs. It sometimes gets stuck on the tassels that are on the edge of two of our rugs. One of them, I've just had to retire as the Roomba just could not handle the long and thick tassels and would get stuck there. We also have to pick up the bath mat every day as it would sometimes get stuck on it too. 3) Lots of loose wires would give it problems too. Now that I have bundled them together and gotten them out of the way, the Roomba has no more problems. 3) The bin capacity is rather small. So I just make it part of my routine to empty it every day when I get home from work. I'd rather do that then push the Electrolux around. 4) Because of our cats, the filter also needs to be cleaned daily. No big deal - take it out and bang it against the side of the kitchen trash bin. 5) It doesn't clean absolutely everywhere, such as behind doors and, of course, at the top of floorboards. About once a month we use the Electrolux for these. 6) We keep "stuff" in containers under the beds, so once in a while we remove it all, close the bedroom door and have the Roomba clean the bedroom thoroughly. 7) Finally, the Roomba itself needs cleaning and maintenance. Besides shaking out the filter, the brush and rollers need to be cleared of long hairs and fibers that get wrapped around them. Also, dirt and dust collects in other parts of the Roomba and this needs to be cleaned out once in a while also. For this and a more thorough filter cleaning, I use an air compressor which does a very nice job. 8) It's not a very powerful vacuum. But what it lacks in quality, it more than makes up for in quantity. If you think about it, we have it running for about 28 hours per month - far more than the 3 hours or so that we would spend vacuuming manually. Of course, with the scheduler, you can tailor the cleaning to suit your own needs - anywhere from once a week to seven times a week. Despite its shortcomings, I think the Roomba is a great product and well worth the investment. FOLLOWUP: After using the Roomba for a couple of years now, I can tell you that the batteries are total crap. They last perhaps 6 months and then die - and are expensive.

"I love it - works great but gets full fast"

from Arcadia, CA

Comments about iRobot Roomba Scheduler Vacuum:

I received the iRobot Roomba Scheduler 4230 Bagless Robotic Vacuum as a Christmas gift and was rather skeptical about its effectiveness.  But I have been pleasantly surprised.  Setup was easy, operation is simple, and the cleaning pattern really does get to most of the room.  The unit picks up more debris than I would have expected, and makes a noticeable difference on carpets.  The unit is designed to fit between standard chair legs and under tables.  However, it does need to be emptied often (easy to do) and the brushes need to be cleaned regularly to maintain full effectiveness.  Cords and other such opbstructions do need to be removed from the floor before using the Roomba, or it will get caught.  It's not as loud as a traditional vacuum, but still scares the dog!

iRobot's Roomba-great for hard floors/not so much for carpet

from Commerce, GA

Comments about iRobot Roomba Scheduler Vacuum:

I am allergic to dust so I wanted a product that would take care of the mostly hardwood and tile floors in our home.  We do have a couple of area rugs and a labrador retriever so there is also a lot of pet hair around.  The iRobot's Roomba Scheduler is a lifesafer for dusty hard floors - it picks up nearly everything off of those.   And because it's not a traditional vacuum cleaner it also doesnt spread the dust around or make it fly into the air, which is a plus!  Where it is lacking ability is in vacuuming carpets - I have very low woven rugs and it does not do a very good job of picking up the dog hair and debris from the carpets.  It also has difficulty going under furniture that has anything low on it, such as a chair with a low bar between the legs.  It will sometimes get hung under it so I have found it not to be very effective to run if you're away from home because you may come home and find that it hung on something and didn't even finish the job.  For that reason, I would not recommend the Scheduler but would highly recommend another iRobot Roomba - the scheduler functionality isn't worth the price due to the unreliability of running unsupervised.  I would also recommend upgrading to the premium battery as it lasts much longer, and if you run it on Max clean function it can cover a very large area quite thoroughly.