Other Exercise DVDs & Videos:
DVD
Hip Hop Abs

Hip Hop Abs

I have a crush on my instructor. Luckily he's just on a DVD. ;)

***Quick View:*** I like to multi task when I exercise and this work out does just that. It's a fat burning 30 minute cardio workout and it targets the abs the whole time. And BOY, does it give me a challenge!***About Hip Hop Abs Fat Burning Cardio Workout***This workout is part of a series of Hip Hop Abs DVDs. This is the starter DVD and includes a section called *"Secrets to Flat Abs"* which shows you how to maximize the workouts, good form, the "tilt, tuck, and tighten" method, and other moves you will need to know. This workout features Shaun T., the hot looking dancer and fitness expert who created this program. All Hip Hop Abs workouts are led by him so, if you don't like his style, you won't like any of the DVDs. He's hard not to like though. He's energetic, cute, and fun to workout with.The set is just a hard wood floored studio with Shaun T. and six or seven in shape people behind him. One girl always demonstrates the easier or slower moves but she isn't shown enough to actually matter. This program is for both men and women.I love that the DVD has a timer on the screen at all times that tells you how long you worked out and how much time is left. It also tells you the name of the move that is coming up so you can get ready for it. You have an option of turning the music up high or keeping it in the background and listening more to Shaun. I choose to listen to Shaun because I am still getting the hang of the moves.The music is by no means hardcore hip hop. It's more "hip hop pop" which I personally like. The idea behind this workout is to burn fat and target the abs at all times and that it does. The first time I attempted this workout, I couldn't keep up. The moves aren't hard really but I am a klutz and I just was all over the place. The second time, I remembered the moves and was able to do the workout without screwing up too much. I love also that Shaun will work you until you almost die, then let your heart rate lower before working you again. This is called interval training and it is very effective.This is a super fast paced cardio dance workout with all the emphasis on the abs. Lots of bouncing and some higher impact moves make it tough but you can always modify to fit your needs.You warm up for a few minutes, get into the cardio, then cool down for a couple of minutes. The 30 minutes goes by fast and you will feel it in your abs while doing the workout and after. Shaun has amazing abs and I wish he worked out without a beater on. Sheesh. But he lets us sneak a peek at his amazing abs here and there.If you want a cardio workout that will get your blood pumping to some good music as well a workout that targets abs without having to get on the floor and do boring crunches, this one is it. I have the full set of DVDs but am sticking with this one until I am an expert at it, then moving on the more advanced workouts.If you have issues with your knees, you may find this workout to be too tough on them. I have a surgically repaired knee and I have no problems but I don't allow myself to do the higher impact moves. I modify so my knee doesn't end up injured again.In all, I like the workout, love that I am working my abs as well as my whole body and my heart, and I like that the pace, while fast, is just enough to get my heart pumping but not so fast that I feel completely lost and like giving up. ***My Viewpoint*****Hip Hop Abs Fat Burning Cardio Workout** is different from most workouts I do. It's really hip and today but not in a way that would turn off people who don't like hip hop music. I don't even really hear the music. I am too busy concentrating on the workout. This targets the abs as well as the legs, butt, and hips, and gives you a solid 30 minute cardio workout that goes by really quickly! ***5 stars.*** If Shaun were shirtless, I  may have to give this workout SIX stars. Ha!***Edited on April 26, 2008 **- I just changed my star rating from 4 to 5 because I have seen amazing results in a short time and have moved on to the Total Body Burn workout which is longer and more intense. I still do this workout often because it's so darn effective and fun!*

good workout, but my abs aren't that flat

My mom got these Hip Hop abs DVDs after seeing an infomercial and being convinced that she'd get a solid workout and a six pack. I did the workouts with her for 3 months, 4 days a week and while I lost weight, it was all over my body and it wasn't as extreme a weight loss as I expected.

In regards to inches lost, I lost 2 inches off my hips, thighs, arms, bustline and abs. At the time, I was around 25 pounds overweight and a size 8/10 in pants. These were a pretty good workout, some parts were fun, and the music played in the background was upbeat. One thing was, developing the skill to "tilt, tuck, and tighten" wasn't as easy as the DVD made it out to be. I'm not horribly out of shape, but the description on how to do that technique wasn't the easiest thing to understand.

Also, he really stresses how you're not doing any situps to get flatter abs, but you essentially are, just doing them while standing up.

There are better fitness DVDs out there, and this is really expensive. If you're going to pay a premium, I'd go with P90X instead.

Fun and gives you a workout...just not my favorite!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about Hip Hop Abs:

I had been one of those people that got really excited hearing the as seen on tv commercials for this when it first came out. I know nothing is usually as great as it sounds on tv, but I was glad to give this one a try. Let me tell you it does give you a good workout and your abs will be sore, especially when first doing it. It does a good job of working your core, which is what will help you with the rest of your body. It's very upbeat and the music is good. Even if you can't pick up on all the moves at first you can just move to the beat and you will still end up burning off calories. Some of the moves could be a little tricky, but if you keep working at it you will eventually get it down. This is something that I could do every now and then. I don't know if I would do it every day, but who knows I could get into it more the more I did it. I would say to give it a try. Sometimes the library has a couple of the workout videos also, so you could always try it before buying it. It is a little pricey. I didn't find the meal plan worth sticking to. I like to come up with my own meals. If you stick with this you will see results.

good workout, but my abs aren't that flat

A little misleading

from Stanton, CA

Comments about Hip Hop Abs:

I really do like Shaun T and Hip Hop Abs. It gives you really great variety between all of the DVDs and options in those DVDs. I have to admit though, that I really didn't see any improvement in my abs as promised. It was GREAT cardio, and I definitely liked some of the routines that were just extras more than the actual HHA portions. More than anything I think, is it made my shoulders and back sore from "Tilting, Tucking and Tightening." I'd much rather do a bunch of situps and other core work on the ground than perform that move over and over again. I have to give him credit though, and I'm sure it has worked for some people more than others in the abdominal area. However with me it just didn't. I'll still put it in the DVD player from time to time to get some cardio in. Also, the music isn't what you'd expect from a workout video claiming that it is "hip hop". A few popular songs, but nothing really that made me want to workout.

Great way to get back into working out

Comments about Hip Hop Abs:

When ever I stop working out for a while and I need to ease myself back into working out six days a week, my go to workout program is hip hop abs. It may not be as hard as having a personal trainer or doing an intense interval training program every day, but it's definitely a start for someone who's been away from working out for a while. At the end of the month, I'm ready to get into more intense training again and it doesn't feel like its that big of a difference because I haven't been inactive for a while. It's a great tool for beginners trying to get into moderate shape and work up to something bigger. After all, fitness is a process and if you're beginning a fitness journey, I think that this is a great place to start.

Use Free Weights and Get Results!

Comments about Hip Hop Abs:

Stick with it! I love Hip Hop Abs. It depends on what you put in to it is what you get out of it. I started with using 2 lb free weights and progressed up to 3lbs for the entire workouts. I am glad the dancing is not so fast, I never fear I will pull my back out using the free weights and the weights is what keeps my heart rate pumping. Also I have progressed to where I do the last routine during while Shaun T "walks it out" so again my heart rate stays elevated. Its fun and not complicated and my workouts fly by. After a month I have seen a change and am presently in my second month following their monthly schedule and I see my abs thighs toning and slimming. Will continue this program for sure until my goal is achieved and beyond!

Cardio With Minimal Abs

Comments about Hip Hop Abs:

Hip Hop Abs includes 3 dvds so let's break it down: You can get results and stay motivated with workouts and cash prizes. You also have access to workout buddies...but how much are you really working your abs in these dvds?

Disc 1 is "fat burning cardio" with a clip beforehand on proper form (which was good). It's definitely for the less advanced exerciser and low impact until he kicks it up a notch at the end finishing with stretches. Part 2 of the dvd is catered toward the more fit viewer with higher impact cardio moves. You will definitely need more space for this part of the dvd!

Disc 2 is 20 plus minutes with the viewer mostly in the the standing position ending with c-curves on the mat. With this position, you can really isolate the abdominals while standing doing cardio. You need to get on the floor for some more specific moves for better results. The second chapter is 30 plus minutes with weights for the upper body, lunges that aren't low enough to really work the glutes, pushups, glutes and then stretching. The last chapter of the dvd shows dance moves...anyone for learning the snake? Lots of infomercials for P90x and Shakology at the end!

Last but not least dvd #3 has 30 minutes of hips buns and thighs. In my opinion, the movements aren't low enough to feel a difference. You quads will be sore, but not your buns as they promote. If you do the exercises, try moving a little lower for more glute activition!

Overall, ok dvds, but not great for ab exercises as they promote. If you need an online community to motivate you, then this might be your best bet. Otherwise, if you want better abs, Tracey Anderson might be a better bet!

WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!

Comments about Hip Hop Abs:

HIP HOP ABS IS A GREAT WORK OUT. I WAS ALWAYS SKINNY (SIZE 3) UNTIL I GOT IN A HAPPY RELATIONSHIP AND PICKED UP A LOT OF POUNDS(25 LBS) WITHIN 5 MONTHS. I SAW HIP HOP ABS ON TV AND KNEW I HAD TO START SOMEWHERE TO GET THIS WEIGHT OFF ME...MY FAVORITE DVD IS THE CARDIO BLASTS. I WENT FROM A SIZE 9 TO A SIZE 5 IN 1.5 MONTHS. I WORKED OUT 5 TIMES A WEEK DOING CARDIO BLASTS. I ATE 3 MEALS A DAY AND 2 (100 CALS) SNACKS. EVERY SAT MORNING I DID THE LAST MIN WORKOUT FOR (5 MINS).... AND ALL MY WEIGHT FELL OFF WITHIN MY TIMELINE OF LOSING WEIGHT... I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH HIP HOP ABS. NOW, I JUST MAINTAIN MY WEIGHT BY WORKING OUT 3/4 TIMES A WEEK AND EATING RIGHT...

Shaun T. is no joke

from Birmingham, AL

Comments about Hip Hop Abs:

I received the Hip Hop Abs set as a gift from a friend. She was actively on the program and looking great, so I expressed some interest. Honestly, it took me about a month to even take the wrapper of the boxed set. Once I did, I was excited to get started.

In the box they have a meal plan, measuring tape, a little progress chart and 3 to 4 different programs on the dvds.

I read everything that came in the box. I knew the meal plan was not going to be a reality for me, so I did my own thing about the food. I started with the first workout and had to push myself to finish. I was entertained and felt like I had done some work. I worked up a wonderful sweat. Shaun T. is hilarious to me.

The next day I was time strapped, so i popped in the 5 minute workout...OMG! I could not even complete 5 minutes! I was soooo impressed and defeated at the same time.

What I have found with the program, just like any other, is you have to keep at it in order to see results. Shaun T. is under the beachbody.com umbrella, so you can sign up on line and build a support network of friends and workout partners to support you and give encouragement.

I really like this program and will continue to use if for years to come.

Hip Hop Abs Dance Party is the most fun workout that works!

from Minneapolis, MN

Comments about Hip Hop Abs:

There are so many fitness DVDs out there, it's hard to decide which one to try next. You may have seen Hip Hop Abs Dance Party version with Shaun T on a television ad. There is an extensive infomercial-syle ad that shows clips of his workouts and describes how they work. It's a very attention-grabbing ad; I thought it looked fun and decided to try it, in spite of the high cost.

The DVDs I ordered come as a set of 2 discs, and each disc has 2 original workouts (dance routines) and a 5-minute Ab Blaster. Disc one consists of Rockin' Abs workout, which is 30 minutes long.  The dance moves are led by Shaun T, who names the dance steps as he goes.  He teaches you several steps, then puts them all together to create one lone routine.  Naming the steps really helps to remember them as he adds more to the routine.  The second workout on disc one is Hard Body, which is 35 minutes long.  In this routine, you use light weights to strength train while still learning some fun moves.

The first workout on disc two is Cardio Groove, which is 40 minutes and my favorite!  I enjoy the combination of dance steps from this routine the best off all the options.  The dances include fun popular music to help get you into the groove.  The second workout is called Booty Shakin' and is 35 minutes.  You can do an entire disc at once for a spectacular workout, or choose one of the routines at a time and still get a great workout.

While the routines are called Hip Hop Abs, these routines are definitely a great total-body workout.  The music is fast-paced so you keep moving through the entire workout.  Highly recommended!

Tilt Tuck Tighten

from Rochester, NY

Comments about Hip Hop Abs:

It is said if you fight back  with the right tools you can beat the fat from your body.  Reviiewing the Hip Hop Abs Fat Burning Cadio Workout Video it seems to have all the tools.  What's better than dancing it can help you lose weight but also keep you smiling.  It helps you get off the couch or just get up.  The video is uplifting, fun and it's easy to watch the instructor is friendly and detailed.  Many people that are overweight imprison themselves within their body and mind. With Hip Hop Fat Burning Cardio Workout Video the music dance steps is excellent and uplifiting.

Please dance your way to get this store and invest in this great video, learning  step-by-step and day-by-day.