Search results

Blendtec Designer 725 Replaces a Counter of Kitchen Appliances

The first step to overcoming an addiction is admitting you have a problem, right? Well, my name is Jennifer, and I have an addiction to kitchen gadgets.
Blendtec_Designer 725_Gun Metal
The Blendtec Designer 725 is indeed another kitchen appliance, but can you give me a pass if I prove to you how it replaces all the other appliances on my counter?

I used to be a pretty bad cook. My repertoire consisted of pasta with jarred sauce and grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup (also canned). My kitchen was complete with a few hand-me-down pots and pans and a spatula.

Then I discovered that I have a severe gluten intolerance and for health reasons I would have to follow a strict gluten-free diet. This was before gluten-free options filled supermarket shelves and every restaurant has a special menu. If I wanted to eat, I was going to have to learn how to cook.

In my excitement to improve my cooking skills, I started to build my new appliance collection lining my kitchen counter. I had to get a new toaster to replace the old gluten-filled one. Then when I started baking for myself, Santa brought me a professional level stand mixer. Next came the food processor, blender, immersion blender, margarita maker, ice cream maker, rice cooker, and toaster oven.

Now, some of these appliances are used very frequently – I keep my stand mixer on the counter to encourage me to bake more. Some of them are even multi-use. My rice cooker has a steamer basket to cook veggies at the same time. But I started to wonder if I really needed five different appliances to puree, mix, combine and blend food.

Even with all of these appliances to perform various tasks, they didn’t always work the way they were supposed to. I tried to puree butternut squash soup in my $30 blender and ended up with hot soup sprayed across the counter. The immersion blender worked a bit better, but I still haven’t gotten the hang of the suction to the bottom of the pot when I turn it on. The margarita machine was just a joke. Thank goodness it was a garage sale find because I would never pay for the watery margaritas it produces.

So how does the Blendtec Designer 725 replace these appliances?

I’ve been trying out some of the most common things I make with various appliances, and I’ve been extremely impressed.

Blender
Blender Compare
The Blendtec is without a doubt an improvement over my $30 blender. I have no clue what power was behind my old one, but I can guarantee it’s less than the 1725 watt Blendtec Designer 725.
I’m also a big fan of the blunt safety blade and one-piece jar. I cut myself a few times on the sharp blades of my old blender when I was trying to take the jar apart to clean it. I’m a stickler for a clean kitchen, so the clean cycle and easy-to-clean touch screen are ideal for me.

I can’t imagine my old blender serving any purpose that the Blendtec Designer 725 couldn’t handle, so the cheapie is going in the donation box.

Immersion blender

I primarily use the immersion blender to puree soups and sometimes to whip up a quick vinaigrette. As I already mentioned, the immersion blender has often been difficult to use and the sound drives my dog crazy. While it doesn’t take up much space in the kitchen, I could ditch it for the sake of streamlining my drawers.
Homemade Broccoli Soup
The broccoli soup I made from the Blendtec recipe book was supposed to be a bit chunky but I was so excited at how the Blendtec heated my soup that I got a little overzealous with adding time. Lucky me, because the broccoli cheddar soup was smooth and velvety – almost whipped. Instead of cooking and heating your ingredients in a stockpot, then using the immersion blender, the Blendtec executes every step of the soup in the blender jar.

Margarita maker

I would be embarrassed to serve the margaritas that my old novelty appliance served. That thing has been gathering dust for months. Since I got the Blendtec, I’ve been making delicious smoothies every morning with frozen fruit and almond milk. I can’t wait for the next time I have friends over so I can impress them with different flavors of frozen cocktails. With the super-easy clean cycle there’s no down time between switching flavors.

Ice Cream Maker

Guys, I’m not even going to lie to you. I have never used the ice cream maker sitting in my cabinet. It’s just one of those appliances that takes a lot of prep work and a lot of time; way more effort than picking up a pint of Häagen Dazs. I’ve been making most of my smoothies for breakfast, but I confess I made one with bananas, peanut butter and chocolate syrup that would be perfect for a dessert treat.

I might have talked myself into kitchen appliance recovery. My stand mixer is still my baby, but I can’t wait to continue testing the Blendtec with all my other recipes for blending, pureeing, crushing and pulverizing.

Here’s what I’m going to try next:

Pumpkin Pleaser

Decadent Chocolate Mousse

Creamy Tomato-Basil Soup

Gluten-Free Flatbread

Taco Tuesday With Your Stand Mixer

Taco Tuesday with stand mixer

Stand mixers aren’t just for cookies anymore. They work great for easy lunches and dinners, even making a yummy taco Tuesday quick and simple.

If you have a stand mixer gathering dust in a cabinet, it’s time to re-evaluate your thoughts about this multi-purpose appliance and put it on your counter so you can use it every day. Stand mixers aren’t only about sweet treats, they can be used for lunch and dinner, too. Here are some tips and tricks for using your stand mixer for a Taco Tuesday feast. Read the rest of this entry »

Two Items Every Cook Needs In the Kitchen

stand-mixer

There are two items every cook needs in the kitchen: a Crock Pot and a Stand Mixer. Make your recipes shine with these appliances.

I married my husband about ten years ago, but prior to us getting married, I started to get interested in cooking and baking. Like most people in their twenties, I had an odd assortment of kitchen items that I had accumulated. I found myself still able to make a variety of things, but there were a couple of things that I needed to take my cooking and baking to another level. So when my husband and I got engaged we made sure to include these things in the registry and hinted to a few key people that we really wanted those items for me to use in the kitchen. One bridal shower was from a bunch of ladies who liked to cook and I found myself receiving the items that I had been wishing for.

Buy Viewpoints Best Overall Small Kitchen Appliances During Amazon Sales

In the kitchen with presents

If you’re looking to buy the best kitchen appliances as Christmas gifts this year, Amazon sales are slashing prices of a few.

I love kitchen appliances. If I had the space, my entire Christmas list would be filled with them: a stand mixer, stainless steel cookware, a toaster oven, an espresso maker, etc. But these things take up space, and they cost money, especially if you want to buy the best of the best. Viewpoints’ Best Overall winners in the small kitchen appliance category are no exception. The most expensive one costs well over $500 full price, so getting these products while on sale can be a great money saver. Amazon sales slash the prices of four of these winners, including blenders, juicers, food processors and coffee makers.

Buy Viewpoints Reviewers’ Choice Winners At Wal-Mart Sales

Kitchen Appliances

Kitchen appliances are notoriously expensive and sometimes you don’t know if what you’re buying is going to work. But, you can trust Viewpoints Reviewers’ Choice award winners, and Wal-Mart is the perfect place to find them, including a couple Best Value ones.

You might have just over a week to finish up your Christmas shopping but if you’re hoping to hit up Wal-Mart sales without having to actually step foot in the store you only have four days left to get free shipping by Christmas, on purchases of $35 or more. And word is, Wal-Mart might be the best place to stock up on your Viewpoints Reviewers’ Choice winners before free shipping ends on the 20th. But which winners are seeing sales right now? Let’s take a look.

Best Kitchen Gifts For Aspiring Home Chefs

best kitchen gifts

These best kitchen gifts would be a welcome surprise under the tree for the aspiring chef in your life.

I love my kitchen appliances, but don’t always love the price tag that comes with them. Christmas is a great time to find good deals on some of the most coveted small kitchen appliances. Maybe you have an aspiring chef on your gift list, or someone who loves to bake and cook? Maybe you want to give yourself a gift and finish out your kitchen appliance set. These appliances would be great to snag for holiday gift giving, and they will never know what a great deal you got on them!

VIDEO: As Seen On TV Appliances Are Fun and Functional

Late Night TV

Watching Late Night TV can lead to some unintended purchases of infomercial products. But were those impulse buys worth making, or should you try to return them? We just might have the answers you’re looking for.

The most popular As Seen On TV products are often times kitchen gadgets of some kind, whether that is the Slap Chop or an actual appliance like a blender. No matter where these gadgets are being used they usually fall into one of two categories (and sometimes they fall into both): fun or functional. Today we took a look at a few popular indoor and outdoor appliances and tried to determine if they were worth the cost.

Gifts Under $50: Best Kitchen Appliances

gifts under $50

Scoring a gift under $50 feels great. When that product has also won accolades from reviewers, now that’s really something!

For about six months now, we’ve been working hard behind the scenes at Viewpoints to highlight the products that are truly terrific. We feel fortunate to have partners as awesome as the people like you who come to our site every day to write reviews — real world experiences on everything from vacuums to dishwashers to shampoo. We all benefit from the generosity. Those insights have also given us the ability to come up with a very useful list for those of you watching your budget this Christmas.

Read the rest of this entry »

Costco Membership: Should You Join to Save on the Vitamix Blender?

Costco Membership

A Costco membership may pay for itself in the discounts. A $55 Costco Membership is worth the $50 you can save on a Vitamix Blender.

You may be surprised to learn that one of today’s leading retailers for the Vitamix Blender is Costco. Actually, the pairing does make sense. Costco has rivaled, if not surpassed, Sam’s Club as one of the best wholesale retailers. And, in recent years, Vitamix has built a reputation that places its blenders among the top in the industry. If you are in the market for a Vitamix blender, doesn’t it make sense to purchase one from a store like Costco, which passes along the wholesale discount to their consumers? Let’s find out.

KitchenAid Stand Mixer: “Best Overall” In Viewpoints Reviewers’ Choice Awards

KitchenAid stand mixer

The KitchenAid Classic 4.5-Quart Stand Mixer K45SS easily wins “Best Overall” stand mixer in the Viewpoints Reviewers’ Choice awards.

Powered by Viewpoints

Few products in the kitchen – or the home, for that matter –  are as enduring as the KitchenAid stand mixer. Based on well over a thousand reviews, we can say with confidence that the cooks of America have lifted their spatulas and been counted. The KitchenAid Classic 4.5-Quart Stand Mixer K45SS ($330) is the “Best Overall” stand mixer you can buy, winning the top spot in the 2013 Viewpoints Reviewers’ Choice awards.