What Is The Best Shampoo For Oily Hair?

shampoo hair

Finding a good shampoo for oily hair can be incredibly difficult. You need to find one that will get your hair clean, but doesn’t strip it of essential nutrients and oils. We’ve found 3 of the best shampoos on Viewpoints that our reviewers say are perfect for oily hair.

Oil is absolutely essential for healthy hair. It gives hair that beautiful shine and moisture that makes it silky and touchable and protects it from damage. But sometimes you have too much oil. It no longer gives your hair a beautiful shine, but instead coats it in grease and odor. So what is the best shampoo for oily hair like this?

Finding the best shampoo for oily hair isn’t a walk in the park, though. You don’t want to go from oily to dry, so you need to find a shampoo that clarifies without drying out your hair. Here to help are our Viewpoints members, and they say you can’t go wrong with these three shampoos!

Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo

Viewpoints score of 87/100 based on 141 reviews

Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo is formulated to remove residue from your hair, namely oils, without stripping the moisture of your hair. Not only is this shampoo specifically formulated for those with oily hair, but it is also hypoallergenic. And our reviewers seem to agree that this shampoo works wonders on oily hair.

Powered by Viewpoints

“When I was pregnant my hair got very greasy and I tried every high-end shampoo I could find to deal with it… But, being desperate, I took the plunge and my eyes were opened. It left my hair feeling clean, but not dried out. Plus, being pregnant, I noticed that the smell didn’t make me nauseated like my strong-scented high-end brands.” ashybrooke, Reviewer since 2014

“I have oily hair if I don’t wash it every day… I have used other shampoos in the past that are more expensive and claim to clean your hair better, but I find that Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo does the job perfectly!” mw252810, Reviewer since 2010

TRESemme Deep Cleansing Shampoo

Viewpoints score of 86/100 based on 32 reviews

TRESemme Deep Cleansing Shampoo contains vitamin C, and is gentle enough for daily use. Like Suave Daily, this shampoo is formulated to remove buildup and residues without taking away all your hair’s natural oils and moisture. And according to Viewpoints reviewers, it does a pretty good job too.

Powered by Viewpoints

“This is the greatest shampoo. I have really oily hair and normal shampoos would leave my hair oily a few hours after a shower. Now after using this product I can go up to 2 days without washing my hair and it never gets oily. It also smells SOOOOO good, leaves my hair feeling great and is CHEAP.”meggiemoomoo, Reviewer since 2009

”It smells wonderful and makes my scalp feel great. I have really oily hair and must wash everyday.  My hair feels very clean when I use this.” kozmofloyd, Reviewer since 2010

Herbal Essences Drama Clean Refreshing Shampoo

Viewpoints score of 86/100 based on 57 reviews

Like the other two oily-hair friendly shampoos, Herbal Essences Drama Clean removes gunk buildup that causes oily hair without stripping your hair of essential moisture. What sets this specific shampoo line apart is its use of green tea, making the shampoo light but still effective. Though it might sound a bit gimicky, Viewpoints reviewers say this shampoo is right on track.

Powered by Viewpoints

“My hair is somewhat oily and I wash it every day and I haven’t noticed that this products strips my hair or makes it dry or anything like that.” TheLauren, Reviewer since 2008

“For people with oily hair, I would strongly recommend it.  The price is slightly higher than other shampoos, but given the fact that you do not need to shampoo daily brings the price down in comparison with others.” RileyMax, Reviewer since 2010

Bottom line

If you don’t have oily hair, as some of the reviewers stated, these shampoos might not work for you. Someone with naturally dryer, or even just normal, hair may get dry, brittle hair as a result of using these shampoos. However, if you have oily hair, these shampoos should work to rid your hair of product buildup and oils, without stripping it completely, resulting in healthy hair and a beautiful shine.

Allegra Pusateri Allegra Pusateri (70 Posts)

Allegra Pusateri is an intern at Viewpoints. She recently graduated from DePaul University with a B.A. in English and Creative Writing.