Save Money On Drinks With a SodaStream

SodaStream

A SodaStream machine can help you save lots of money and stop trashing all those soda cans and bottles.

Powered by Viewpoints

Soda, pop, soda pop, cola or coke … whatever you call it, it’s a staple in our house. But it is also a costly staple and one that tends to keep up with inflation very well with a 20 oz running around $1.79, including deposit. This past Christmas, we made an investment that is paying for itself in soda, a SodaStream Home Soda Maker. Not only is SodaStream loved in our house, it is a consumer favorite with an impressive 95/100 rating for the SodaStream Genesis, just one of the many models available.

SodaStream Genesis Sparkling Water & Soda Maker

SodaStream Genesis Sparkling Water & Soda Maker

A sparkling history

SodaStream has actually been creating soda for well over 100 years. We obviously haven’t had the home soda makers that long, but the company has been bringing you soda for a decade. The modern day focus of SodaStream is to provide great tasting soda you can make at home. There are currently a variety of stylish soda makers that range from affordable to all the bells and whistles. In addition there are 100’s of syrup flavors available to create a soda to everyone’s taste.

Soda me this…

All of the SodaStream models come with reusable bottles (some plastic and some glass depending on the model), cutting down on the waste of plastic pop bottles, of which we have more than enough floating around the house. To add to the eco-friendly promises, with the exception of the SodaStream Revolution, the machines do not require electricity to run.

“I couldn’t believe that it didn’t even need to be plugged in- eco friendly AND doesn’t use electricity? Score! It is streamlined, nice looking and takes up minimal space on my counter.” stefanie0409

Set-up and use of the machine is generally simple. If you can plug in a cartridge and fill a water bottle, you’ve got the battle almost won. The hardest part I’ve encountered is not having the carbonated soda erupt when pouring the syrup in the bottle.

Have you used a SodaStream soda maker? Tell us about it with a review so others will know about your particular model and experiences.

SodaStream flavors

To suit a variety of tastes, SodaStream sells dozens of different flavored syrups to use with your drink maker. One of the questions I’ve had from friends is about the taste and how it compares to leading brands of pop. While the sodas aren’t exact matches to their name brand counterparts, out of the 20 or so flavors in my cupboard, there are only a few we don’t care for. My kids absolutely love the Country Time lemonade flavor. SodaStream claims to be better for you than traditional sodas, primarily because it does not use high fructose corn syrup in the formula, or aspartame in the diet flavors. Natural syrup formulas are also available.

SodaStream value

The SodaStream constitutes an upfront investment in the carbonator starter kit, which includes the machine, a bottle, carbonator cartridge and samples. The various models cost anywhere between $70-$150. Once your initial cost is out of the way though, the price and value of owning a SodaStream is very budget friendly. Most of the syrup flavors retail for around $5 per bottle and make 12 liters, or about 33 cans, worth of soda. Some of the more specialized syrups will produce less and cost more, but the cost is still better than a bottle from the store.

“I have saved so much money by using my soda stream and stopped buying cans and bottles of soda. I even can buy Kool Aid and Crystal Light and energy drink mixes and flavored water.” stormynites728

At first I was skeptical of this machine, but I have since come to love it as part of my morning. I can create my pop for the day and not have to worry about getting to the store for a caffeine fix on the weekends or days when I don’t get out of the house as easily. If you are a regular soda drinker, the investment in a SodaStream is as valuable as having a good coffee maker for those who like coffee.

Carrie Chance (63 Posts)

Carrie Chance has long been active in the consumer reviews space, as both a writer and a reviewer. She has a special interest in kids and family issues. Carrie works full-time as a pre-school administrator and is mom to three young children of her own. She and her family live in Lansing, Michigan.