VIDEO – bObsweep vs Roomba: Battle Of The Robots

If you find free time hard to come by, or have little or no time for tasks like vacuuming or sweeping, I have just the robot for the job. Welcome to the 21st century, where robots play an increasingly helpful role in society. Today I will be comparing two established robotic vacuum models: bObsweep vs Roomba.

Robotic vacuums have been around for years and, while their popularity has grown, so have advances in technology and proficiency. Although, these robotic vacuums fall short of the raw cleaning power normal vacuums are known for, they more than make up for that in convenience. Unfortunately, this convenience comes at a price, and a high one at that, so don’t expect to pay anything less than your average vacuum.

On the plus side, robotic vacuums are often programmable so that you can schedule weekly cleanings, and they are fantastic at getting at hard to reach places (e.g. under the bed). This makes them a great solution for the elderly or disabled, but perhaps the best part of these robotic home devices is the time they will save you every week.

bObsweep

bObsweep Vacuum

bObsweep Vacuum

Being a newer player to the robotic vacuum game, the bObsweep offers just two different models: the original bObsweep and the bObsweep PetHair. As its name suggests, the bObsweep Pethair is specifically designed for pet hair and costs seventy dollars more than the original. For the purpose of this comparison I will be focusing on the standard bObsweep.

bObsweep

Viewpoints score: TBD (Help us assign a score by writing one more review)
Est. Price: $599

The bObsweep comes with all the features you would hope for $599. Beyond the robotic abilities, it comes with a 1-year warranty, remote control, programmable schedule, and the ability to return to its charge station.

Some of its unique features include a sterilizing UV lamp that kills bacteria during use, as well as the extra large 1,000 ml bin, which is larger than your average vacuum bin. With the bObsweep you won’t have to remove its waste as often as you would with other robotic vacuums. Another significant feature is the HEPA filter, which is an important part of reducing dust and allergens.

Did I mention that bOb is a multiple purpose robot? Not only does he vacuum and sweep but he also mops. Most robotic vacuums on the market do either one or the other, and it is that very feature that makes bOb shine over his competitors.

“I highly recommend this product, especially if you are a busy person who can appreciate the extra minutes that a robot vacuum saves you.” AEW339, Reviewer since 2014

“The fact that it sweeps and mops is such a time saver. I have m.s. and this is a wonderful help for me.” egyptcats88, Reviewer since 2013

iRobot Roomba

iRobot Roomba 770 Vacuum

iRobot Roomba 770 Vacuum

The biggest competitor to the bObsweep is a Viewpoints favorite, the Roomba. Robots are available to clean your gutters, the pool, and mop and scrub your floors, but the models most comparable to the bObsweep in both features and price are found in the 700 series. Roombas can range in price from $399 for 600 series models to $599 and $699 for 700 and 800 models.

There is quite a distinction in price, but they all work in the same three-stage cleaning process. First the side brush cleans along walls, then internal brushes sweep up the debris and finally the vacuum sucks the debris into the bagless chamber for a very effective cleaning process.

If someone in your household suffers from allergies or asthma, you’ll be happy to know the Roomba comes with dual HEPA air filters to reduce dust and other allergens.

Similar to our old friend bOb, the Roomba 700 series also comes with soft touch bumpers and dirt detectors that increase cleaning power over particularly dirty areas.

Here are some things Viewpoints reviewers had to say about the Roomba 600 and 700 series:

“If you are like me, and have no time to clean, then this is the perfect vacuum for you. This is genius…when you just do not have time to maintain the floors this is the perfect solution.” skater425, Reviewer since 2010

“Cleaning the Roomba is 100% easier than cleaning a giant upright. It runs three times a week and fills its bin each time.” voivod66, Reviewer since 2012

“We are having a tough time figuring out it’s pattern as it misses spots. The only negative we have found so far is that the dust/dirt bin fills up pretty quickly as it is very small. We wish it was larger so it would run longer.” Kathylu, Reviewer since 2013

Value

Both the bObsweep and the iRobot Roomba offer compelling solutions and, in all actuality, aren’t all that different from one another. The bObsweep and the Roomba 700 series both have programmable schedules, HEPA filters, dirt detectors, auto return to the dock, as well as a 1-year warranty, all of which are essential features. So the next question becomes, are you looking for a robotic mop, as well?

iRobot’s Braava series is specifically designed for mopping and will cost you $200 or $300, in addition to the separate sweeping Roomba. This makes the overall value of the bObsweep greater, however, both these machines do an excellent job of vacuuming your home all while saving you that precious extra time.

If you have a bObsweep or Roomba write a review and let us know what you think!

Christian Harkna Christian Harkna (5 Posts)

Christian Harkna recently worked for a tech start up in Sydney, Australia after graduating from Marquette University with a writing degree. Now while working for Viewpoints as an intern in Chicago he looks to continue to develop his writing skills while expanding his knowledge of business development.

• Kenneth

Which works better on tile floors?

• Sharon

We have the pet Roomba and we run it daily as we have two long haired shelties as well as 3 parrots; on the weekends, we have two more lab mix dogs. Overall, it does a really great job of picking up the long dog hair and the dirt off our shoes on the floor. It is set to vacuum at 4:30 a.m. daily. It also goes under the sofa and love sit, which doesn’t get cleaning with the upright vacuum unless I move around the furniture. My only complaint would be the size of the dirt storage area. It requires the cleaning of the brushes and dirt storage daily after it has done the kitchen, family room, and hall. After it has been cleaned and charged again, we then put it into the living/dining room and it goes under the sofa, buffets, and under the dining room chairs with absolutely no problems. It has definitely cut down the manual housework at our house.

• Jason

Roomba is just a big disappointment! I have had it for 3 months now and It does not clean that well and I have to go and pick up stuff after it’s done vacuuming a certain area of the house. I’m thinking about trying bObsweep since it does look better and slicker as well. Love their colors compared to the ugly black for Roomba.

• jason

I don’t understand why my comments posted 8 HOURS AGO have been pushed down so a positive comment in favor of Roomba from 3 MONTHS ago is now up? You are not being fair and indifferent to the public opinion by manipulating the comments in favor of Roomba. We are not stupid!

• Brandon Phillips

It looks like comments are sorted by popularity. There is no conspiracy here. Your comments just haven’t grown in popularity yet.

• cheekie

I have a 700 series Roomba. I also have 3 cats. The vacuum picks up a lot of dust/fur but I do find it also misses a lot. Also, every time it runs, I find I have to empty it AND clean all the wheels and brushes (which is REALLY annoying). Almost seems more work than using a regular vacuum. The front wheel also no longer ‘snaps’ in place but continues to function as it stays in its wheel base as the vacuum runs. I’m thinking I will return to daily vacuuming as cleaning the wheels daily is such a chore.

• buckaroo

I have a Roomba, love it, and recently bought a BoBsweep for the other house. Roomba, handsdown ! Higher quality construction and ease of operation. Compare the wheels, shocks, brushes, and programming, Roomba has been much, much more reliable. Sorry BoB, gotta return you and get another Roomba !

• Chodges

Is the extra $70 worth it for the Pet-version of the bObSweep? We have 2 indoor cats & currently using the original model Roomba, which seems to work good, best on hardwood floors, not as good at picking up cat-hair on the low-pile rug. So, wondering how the 2 bObSweeps compare to each other with regards to cat-hair? And both models of bOb mop as well, correct?