Favorite Mascara: Oldies But Goodies We Can’t Forget

Everyone has their favorite mascaras. While there's tons of new products, these favorites will always be in our makeup bag.

Everyone has their favorite mascaras. While there’s tons of new products, these favorites will always be in our makeup bag.

It is hard to resist the temptation to run out and buy every hot new mascara to hit the market after seeing all of those convincing ads on television. Fuller lashes, falsie lashes, doll lashes, the possibilities and the product choices are endless! It can be quite daunting to know which product to choose, or whether to make the purchase at all. Personally, I have not seen a new mascara in the past year or two even come close to comparing with some of the “oldie but goodie” mascaras. The best part is, these favorite mascaras are some of the cheapest drugstore mascaras that you can buy I have never paid more than $8 for any of these mascaras, yet they give the performance of a higher end department store brand.

Viewpoints score: 84/100
Est. Price: $2.25

In my opinion, this was one of the first mascaras with big, fat plumping power to hit the market that actually delivered ”Wow” results. The first time I used it, I was accused of secretly using the lash growth formula Latisse (I wish)! Though there have been many attempts to improve on the original formula, such as LashBlast Fusion and Lashblast Length, neither of those beat the stuff in the big orange tube.

I am not alone in my love of this mascara; Viewpoint reviewers are in love with it as well;

“When I’m wearing CoverGirl LashBlast Volume Blasting Mascara, everyone always asks me if I’m wearing false eyelashes, that’s quite a compliment.” drulynn, Reviewer since 2009

“This mascara is great stuff in my book. It gives me great color and stand out eye lashes, no clumping and just smooth coverage. I have naturally long eye lashes that I have had many comments that they were falsies when I was younger and well I have tried many mascaras in my day. I have never had a happy long looking eye lash that made them stand out since I have gotten older and Cover girl has found the right mix with their new bigger brush that has 50% more bristles that leaves soft, long and volumed eye lashes. I can’t tell you how happy I am with this mascara…VERY, VERY HAPPY!” AmyA, Reviewer since 2007

“Mascara is by far my favorite type of make-up. I have tried all different kinds, but until this amazing mascara, I was sadly disappointed. I have naturally long lashes, so my lashes have a tendency to stick together with many mascaras. I don’t have that problem anymore. This Lash Blast gives me the volume I want without clumping all of my lashes together” tifmuel, Reviewer since 2009

L’Oreal True Match Naturale Mineral Mascara

L'Oreal True Match Naturale Mineral Mascara

L’Oreal True Match Naturale Mineral Mascara

Viewpoints score: 93/100
Est. Price: $9.95

It took me a while to give this mascara a shot when it first came out in stores. The words “mineral based” and “natural ingredients” scared me away because I did not think that a mineral-based mascara could do that much to improve the look of my lashes. My assumptions were wrong, because this mascara is amazing It is the lightest, softest formula I have ever used, yet it makes my lashes look so full, long, and soft that it is hard to believe I am actually wearing mascara at all. This formula never once clumped on me, no matter how many layers I applied. I also felt the condition of my lashes improve while using this. They did not seem as brittle and weak as usual.

It is sadly getting harder and harder to find this mascara in drugstores, as its shelf space is replaced by more and more new mascara products. It is very easy to order online though ( not to mention a lot cheaper) so if you can get your hands on the stuff, give it a try!

Maybelline Full ‘N Soft Mascara

Maybelline Full 'N Soft Washable Mascara

Maybelline Full ‘N Soft Washable Mascara

Viewpoints score: 88/100
Est. price: $5.49

Another great mascara that has been around for a while, and maybe even overlooked in the makeup aisle lately, is Maybelline Full ‘N Soft mascara. It is another formula that is oh-so-gentle on your lashes, yet makes them look full and lush like a baby doll’s. Most importantly though, there is no yucky clumping, and no under eye flaking and smudging to worry about. This mascara really stays put on your lashes until it is time to wash it off.

Here is what some Viewpoint reviewers think about it:

“I am super picky about my mascara. I like my eyelashes to look glam-natural. Long and luxurious, but like they are all mine. And Maybelline Full ‘N Soft does this for me wonderfully.No clumps. No spider lashes. No stiffness. No flakes. Just pure perfection” lovelylindsy, Reviewer since 2011

“I have spent my fair amount of money on finding the perfect mascara. I hadn’t realized the extent of my research of mascara until I was cleaning out my makeup bag and threw away 12 mascaras! I have come to love Maybelline’s Full and Soft Mascara! After multiple trial and errors I’m stuck on the mascara that makes my eyelashes look long, full, and stay soft all day. I’ve been hooked on this mascara for years now and it’ll take a lot of convincing to pry this one away from me now!” embazem, Reviewer since 2007

“I love this stuff. I didn’t think I would, but I do. Maybelline Full N’ Soft Mascara does the most of any mascara I’ve tried to improve the look and feel of my lashes and it never flakes” jely, Reviewer since 2010

So remember, the next time you are in the makeup aisle browsing the latest mascara product, give one of these a try, and then write a review and let us know what you think!

G.G. Saar G.G. Saar (12 Posts)

G.G. Saar is a professional belly dancer with experience in the modeling and entertainment industry. She has tried a wide range of beauty and makeup products and loves to share her experience with others.