How Big A Microwave Do I Need?

If you're shopping for a new microwave, one of the first questions you should ask yourself is, "How big a microwave do I need?"

If you’re shopping for a new microwave, one of the first questions you should ask yourself is, “How big a microwave do I need?”

One of the most used appliances in the kitchen in the microwave oven. We are constantly heating, cooking, nuking, defrosting and popping. There are so many microwave choices, and one of the biggest differences is size. You might be asking yourself “How big a microwave do I need?” Does size really matter? Yes, it does. The internal size of a microwave is measured by cubic feet (cu ft.) and will be listed on the description.  A few things that are important in knowing how large of a microwave to buy are the size of your household, and the frequency of use.

If you have a larger household, then you are probably already cooking larger amounts of food. There are microwave ovens that will fit an entire casserole dish to cook, or reheat. There are also models that can fit a frozen pizza! Now, if you don’t usually make large dishes, and are lacking space in your kitchen, you may be better off with a smaller microwave.

Let’s take a look at a couple models being offered right now, and what our members had to say about them.

Large Microwave

Powered by Viewpoints

One of the largest microwave ovens out there right now is the Panasonic 1250 Watt 2.2 Cubic Feet Inverter Microwave Oven NN-H965WF/ H965BF (rated 90/100).

This microwave oven retails for around $200 and features a whopping 2.2 cubic feet inside! It also offers 1250 watts of cooking power, which is at the top range of watts offered on household microwaves. You should be able to fit a large casserole dish in here, no problem, as well as a full-sized frozen pizza.

Here is what some of our members had to say about this model:

“The microwave is pretty big… so that can be an advantage and disadvantage depeding on how you look at it… if you’ve got a small kitchen then bleh… but I love the size ’cause I don’t have to go through 2 or 3 rounds of defrosting for my pizza.”YunaIesca

“Wow i just bought this microwave recently and i LOVE the size. Fits perfect in a large kitchen…..I think that as long as you have a good spacious spot to put the microwave it will workout. If you live in a small area like an apartment it probably wouldnt be the best idea to get this microwave” Inspirationz

“Big enough for a family of five……I wouldn’t recommend it if you have a small kitchen as it can take up quite some space. Yet, the spacious design is a good trade off if you have a big family.” SylviaChow

So it looks like you wouldn’t want to head in this direction of large microwaves if you have a smaller kitchen, but it will definitely offer you amazing internal cooking space.

Medium Microwave

Powered by Viewpoints

Now, let’s look at something a little smaller. The Panasonic 1250 Watt 1.6 Cubic Feet Inverter Microwave Oven NN-SD797S (rated 91/100) is average size and what you will find in most homes. At 1.6 cubic feet and 1250 watts, you will find that you are still getting a pretty good deal that will work for you and your family.

Here’s what some of our reviewers said about this one:

“At first I wasn’t too happy with the large size and “smart” control panel. However, I am very glad with our purchase, once I got used to it.”Patooi

I would definitely recommend this microwave to anyone with a family because it can hold good size plates even though it’s a fairly small unit.” Spookygwoman

Small Microwave

Powered by Viewpoints

Lastly, let’s look at the smaller end of models. These would be good for very small kitchens and spaces, or for people who don’t cook a lot and don’t need a huge microwave.

Check out the GE 700 Watt 0.7 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven JES738WJ (rated 82/100). This microwave oven is very small and offers a very low watt level as well. You may find that your larger plates may not fit, as well as you may need to cook your foods for longer because of the low amount of power.

Let’s see what our members said about this one:

“Great for a single person…. This little microwave isn’t very powerful, but it does this trick.” jonihar

“Its very easy to use and it doesn’t take up much space on my countertop” aganderson

“It was cheap and didn’t take up a lot of space on the kitchen counter, and it was easy to clean and easy to see inside while it was running. Of course the downside to having a small microwave is that you can’t fit big things in it, but it worked for us” salpinx

So, when trying to decide on how large of a microwave oven you need for your household, consider these things and cross check Viewpoints.com for reviews before you buy!

Tiffany White Tiffany White (21 Posts)

Tiffany White is a stay-at-home mom in central Florida. She has a passion for cooking and family. She enjoys writing in her spare time and helping people find great deals and couponing.